• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drum 'n Bass.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
It qualifies as in me liking it, but as D&B strictly, no.. Nice tune though, thanks..

Ya, lotta drums but not much bass. I assume you checked out the other Shpongle youtubes? Fascinating stuff...

Speaking of D&B, is there any internet radio stations which specialize in it?

I check out the Soma FM site, it's got a lot of genres, but nothing I can see as D&B:

SomaFM: Listener Supported, Commercial Free Internet Radio

(I'm usually on the Groove Salad channel)

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Here's a breakdown of what went on in this pathetic piece of crap, the female vocalists, if you want to call her than sang the same two bar melody 18 times, she sang a one bar melody 31 times, the piece lasted 4 min plus with only two chords for the entire time, the drums and percussion played basically the same rhythm over and over wit only slight variations, it's mindless robotic pablum completely devoid of any human emotion, the music has no dynamic shadings, it's devoid of any form and substance. I do know people like this sort of stuff it's usually young people how have no yet had a chance to mature into more meaningful music, I can only assume you are a young person, and I'm sure you like this stuff, I just find it hard to believe anyone really listens to this kind of music other than pure background white noise, there is simply nothing else to listen to. If you don't mind me asking, what is it that attracts you to this kind of music, what exactly do you listen to?

Whahaha.. you made me laugh.. :biglaugh:
First of all, don't be bothered by the fact that you do not like the same music as we do. There are way too many kinds to like em all. I won't hold it against you!
Second, that woman isn't singing those parts 30 times.. :D
This is music made by the computer. Those drums you hear.. also not a drumset :rolleyes:
In many cases the voices you hear are only a small part of an entire song sampled.
I can only asume you are an old person by not knowing that and actually counting the samples ;)
Then; My age is 28, according to statistics I have about 2/3 of my life still to go. I am definatelly not old, but old enough to know what to appreciate in music. I also listen to music much worse than this (In your eyes/ears) and perhaps even to music you like.
You also made a comment about dnb being basically the same. Uhhu, that's the purpose. DnB is not just listen-music. DnB is more a move-music. It's very energetic and the recurring rythem makes dancing on it very easy. Whenever I listen to this music, my head automatically starts bobbleheading (I know that's not a real word :p)
Oh and this:
it's devoid of any form and substance.
..you are not showing yourself to be one who knows about music here..

Now it's going to be your turn. If you can tell me where music is "meaningfull" as you state yourself, frubals to you..:beach:

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
First of all, don't be bothered by the fact that you do not like the same music as we do. There are way too many kinds to like em all. I won't hold it against you!
Second, that woman isn't singing those parts 30 times.. :D
This is music made by the computer. Those drums you hear.. also not a drumset :rolleyes:
In many cases the voices you hear are only a small part of an entire song sampled.
I can only asume you are an old person by not knowing that and actually counting the samples ;)
Then; My age is 28, according to statistics I have about 2/3 of my life still to go. I am definatelly not old, but old enough to know what to appreciate in music. I also listen to music much worse than this (In your eyes/ears) and perhaps even to music you like.
You also made a comment about dnb being basically the same. Uhhu, that's the purpose. DnB is not just listen-music. DnB is more a move-music. It's very energetic and the recurring rythem makes dancing on it very easy. Whenever I listen to this music, my head automatically starts bobbleheading (I know that's not a real word :p)
Oh and this:

Now it's going to be your turn. If you can tell me where music is "meaningfull" as you state yourself, frubals to you..:beach:

Too right Bouncy, just to add to that is that this poor lost soul obviously does not know anything about the notion of subjective experience and assumes that everyone should feel exactly like him.

I will be 32 in two weeks and I have a vast musical taste, as a matter of fact, Richard, I bet if we were to have a musical stand off, I would win in all categories. Hold on, apart from country, not too hot on that.. :cool:

Experience of music is subjective, we can only judge it by how it makes us personally feel. Like Bouncy rightfully noted, d&b music is highly vibrational electronic music that makes one feel slightly exited, uplifted and also active, it is easy to dance to, and when experienced in a club atmosphere, brings a sense of collective connection to the people in the same club.

In my opinion to denounce anything as meaningless, pointless and an abomination on the basis that you personally don't like it is simply ignorant.. :rolleyes:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Another Classic!

Stakka & Skynet - Decoy

I used to have this one on my HD, but cannot seem to find it anymore...odd.. Perhaps I have it on cd then..

Edit: Apologies for the fadeout at the end.. Music shouldn't have fade outs..

Last edited:

richardlowellt

Liking the same music as you was never the point. it would be a terrible world if we all liked the same thing. That why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

Second, that woman isn't singing those parts 30 times.. :
No she sings them once and then they are looped over and over again.

This is music made by the computer.
Yes I know that, hence the robotic nature of the music.

Those drums you hear.. also not a drumset :rolleyes:
LOL yes I know this too, as I have spent the better part of my life playing with real drums, I do know the difference.

Yes, I realize that, the rest is just electronic noise and rhythm patters played on a drum synth pad.

Age has nothing to do with taste, I counted because I wanted to see just how robotic and repetitious this was, counting the basic elements of the music, trying to understand the appeal.

You know what to appreciate in music but listen to music worse than this? how the hell does that work?

You also made a comment about dnb being basically the same. Uhhu, that's the purpose
Yes I gathered that, but there are other ways to achieve the same results without mind numbing repetitious and unhuman electronic noises.

DnB is not just listen-music.
It's not any kind of listening music unless your an imbecile.

DnB is more a move-music. It's very energetic and the recurring rythem makes dancing on it very easy. Whenever I listen to this music, my head automatically starts bobbleheading (I know that's not a real word :p)
So you basically answered my question in my first post, what you find appealing about this music, It makes your head bobble, and is good for dancing, cool.

Oh and this:

You couldn't be more wrong, I have made my living playing, arranging, composing, conducting, and teaching music, I'm a full professor at a major music college, so I very well know of what I speak. I gave you the reasons I find this music shallow and lacking any real artistic merit. The while point of my original post was to ask what attracts you and others to this music of little or no substance. You have given me my answer so thank you.

Sad that I should have to tell you what meaningful music is. Music on any level has three basic components, Melody, Harmony, and Rhythm. Melody has form and shape, phrases, and repartition through sequence. The harmony, even when simplistic, combines different chord qualities for variety, and the rhythm although repetitious at times, shares equal footing with the other three. Music is met to be played by humans, not machines, machine music has no range of emotions, no dynamic shadings, there is no human element even in the composition, it is robotic, soulless, emotionless, mind numbing pablum. Listen to it for headbobbling and dancing, but I would hope that somewhere in your listening experiences you listen so music with real substance, you know like well structured melodies, harmonic complexities, range of dynamics, different colors through orchestration and not electronics, wide range of "Human" emotions, that kind of thing. Good luck with your dancing.

richardlowellt

Too right Bouncy, just to add to that is that this poor lost soul obviously does not know anything about the notion of subjective experience and assumes that everyone should feel exactly like him.
Nope, never said that, it would be boring if we all liked the same thing, I'm just trying to understand what people like about music devoid of any human touch, it's robotic machine music.

I will be 32 in two weeks and I have a vast musical taste, as a matter of fact, Richard, I bet if we were to have a musical stand off, I would win in all categories.
I doubt if your musical tastes are that vast, and you would lose, I have been making my living as a performing musician for longer than you have been alive.

Hold on, apart from country, not too hot on that.. :cool:
And why not, it has all the elements that the robotic music doesn't have. The music has form, well developed melodies, in some cases sophisticated harmonic schemes, and most important, it's played by humans, cool!!!

Experience of music is subjective, we can only judge it by how it makes us personally feel. Like Bouncy rightfully noted, d&b music is highly vibrational electronic music that makes one feel slightly exited, uplifted and also active, it is easy to dance to, and when experienced in a club atmosphere, brings a sense of collective connection to the people in the same club
Yeah, I'm sure it does all those things, but it is still mindless and robotic with no human touch.

In my opinion to denounce anything as meaningless, pointless and an abomination on the basis that you personally don't like it is simply ignorant.. :rolleyes:
Roll your eyes all you want, I don't find it meaningless, pointless, and an abomination based on my personal taste, but because of what it lacks. It's very important to give exacting reason for not liking something, and it's not subjective but factual. This is what the music I heard lacks, it has no form, no developed melody, no harmony to speak of, no dynamic shadings, no range of human emotions, no orchestration to create colors, no climactic curves. It's like saying the word MILK 40 times, after about 20 times the word has no meaning. If you like this stuff to dance to fine, but it is in fact devoid of any substance.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
Roll your eyes all you want, I don't find it meaningless, pointless, and an abomination based on my personal taste, but because of what it lacks. It's very important to give exacting reason for not liking something, and it's not subjective but factual. This is what the music I heard lacks, it has no form, no developed melody, no harmony to speak of, no dynamic shadings, no range of human emotions, no orchestration to create colors, no climactic curves. It's like saying the word MILK 40 times, after about 20 times the word has no meaning. If you like this stuff to dance to fine, but it is in fact devoid of any substance.

To be perfectly clear, I am very reluctant to discuss anything with someone who does not understand a simple thing called acceptance.

The only thing we know for a fact is that any experience we have in our life is subjective, and that includes the experience of life itself.

I love music and appreciate a huge variety of music, would that be rock or rock'n'roll, or classical music, or heavy metal, or grunge or any other style of music you care to name. I like it all, including D&B, and I appreciate human emotions of Nina Simone just as much as a clinical baseline in Dieselboy D&B track, just as much as Adagio in G minor and then quite happily can listen to Rummstein. The simple fact that you can not recognise the beauty in all of music only shows your own limitations...

Good luck in your career... :rainbow1: