• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E Vs C. Really now???

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well creationism is imaginary science and immortals are imaginary beings, so it works. The imaginary God caused it all (no, it was really humans).
It doesn't. Creationism is imaginary, but it fails to be science at all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Never know??? Of course in the absolute sense no, but you claimed specifically that those that wrote Genesis and Exodus did not believe it was literally their story and Creation. The history of the scriptures, the traditional view in history pretty much all ancient cultures and primitive cultures today believe their stories are real and history to them. I already acknowledged that over the millennia the scriptures and stories were also interpreted symbolically and anecdotally.
Are you presuming to speak for, as you put it, "pretty much all ancient cultures and primitive cultures" when you say that they (presumably "all") not only have scriptures in the first place, but also believe them to be "real and history"?

That is a very bold claim from an anthropological perspective. I doubt that it is has enough substance to achieve even the status of being entirely wrong.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Are you presuming to speak for, as you put it, "pretty much all ancient cultures and primitive cultures" when you say that they (presumably "all") not only have scriptures in the first place, but also believe them to be "real and history"?

No presumption. I believe it is documented by anthropological research. The scriptures and other sources make absolutely no mention of anecdotal or symbolic interpretations. The existing writings are written as if factual.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No presumption. I believe it is documented by anthropological research. The scriptures and other sources make absolutely no mention of anecdotal or symbolic interpretations. The existing writings are written as if factual.
Sorry, but you just can't expect anyone to take such a claim at all seriously.

Maybe there is some form of qualification or scope delimitation missing here?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not if you can’t have sex it isn’t. :D

But how crazy to preach a doctrine that ensures you die out.
Though not all Christian sects, but many of them are rather apocalyptic. And of course Paul appears to have supported a life without sex. He appeared to believe that the "End Is Near" as have countless other Christians over the ages.

That leads to the question: Is the Christian religion the only one with such a fixation on the end of the world?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Though not all Christian sects, but many of them are rather apocalyptic. And of course Paul appears to have supported a life without sex. He appeared to believe that the "End Is Near" as have countless other Christians over the ages.

That leads to the question: Is the Christian religion the only one with such a fixation on the end of the world?
That's one for @Rival , I think.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Do you consider Islam a religion? If you do, then no.

There are also many fringe sects and occultist groups expecting some sort of spectacula, sudden change. Either for the world in general or after each one's individual death.

I assume that to some extent those result from a difficulty in accepting that individual death does in fact exist and is what it appears to be.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you consider Islam a religion? If you do, then no.

There are also many fringe sects and occultist groups expecting some sort of spectacula, sudden change. Either for the world in general or after each one's individual death.

I assume that to some extent those result from a difficulty in accepting that individual death does in fact exist and is what it appears to be.
I know very little of Islam, or other religions in this regard. So I was unwilling to claim that others have this trait. I do know that it arises in Christian beliefs far too often . But your claim sounds reasonable. If one large group could have this sort of extremists I do not see what would limit other religions in this regard.

AdamjEdgar

hmmm seems that its not only religion that promotes the end of the world...

i think its just the timing that separates religion from secularism when it comes to this...and using evolutionary claims when dating stuff, what difference does it make if we add some zeros, the fundamental "end of everything" outcome remains the same. Quote from the above article...

"Achingly slowly, even that mega-galaxy, a universe unto itself, will dissolve. Chance interactions will scatter individual stars—or what’s left of them—into random orbits, sending them careening into the giant black hole at the center of the galaxy or flying off into the void, never to be seen again. After 1020–1030 years, no complex system will remain, with all macroscopic objects left as islands, lost and adrift in a sea of infinite blackness."​

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
hmmm seems that its not only religion that promotes the end of the world...

i think its just the timing that separates religion from secularism when it comes to this...and using evolutionary claims when dating stuff, what difference does it make if we add some zeros, the fundamental "end of everything" outcome remains the same. Quote from the above article...

"Achingly slowly, even that mega-galaxy, a universe unto itself, will dissolve. Chance interactions will scatter individual stars—or what’s left of them—into random orbits, sending them careening into the giant black hole at the center of the galaxy or flying off into the void, never to be seen again. After 1020–1030 years, no complex system will remain, with all macroscopic objects left as islands, lost and adrift in a sea of infinite blackness."​
No, not even close. You are conflating endless failed claims of impending doom to an analysis of how the universe will fizzle out billions of years from now.

Here is a simple question. Let's say that you followed Harold Camping and followed his advice. That would have affected you very negatively. Meanwhile what the astronomers predict will not have any affect on your life at all. Nor on your children, or theirs, or theirs, or theirs . . . Can you appreciate how they are not the same thing at all as to how they affect people?

AdamjEdgar

No, not even close. You are conflating endless failed claims of impending doom to an analysis of how the universe will fizzle out billions of years from now.

Here is a simple question. Let's say that you followed Harold Camping and followed his advice. That would have affected you very negatively. Meanwhile what the astronomers predict will not have any affect on your life at all. Nor on your children, or theirs, or theirs, or theirs . . . Can you appreciate how they are not the same thing at all as to how they affect people?
oh this guy Harold Camping - Wikipedia

"Camping is notorious for issuing a succession of failed predictions of dates for the End Times, which temporarily gained him a global following and millions of dollars of donations.[4][5][6]
Camping first predicted that the Judgment Day would occur on or about September 6, 1994.[7][8][9] When it failed to occur, he revised the date to September 29 and then to October 2.[10][11] In 2005, Camping predicted the Second Coming of Christ to May 21, 2011, whereupon the saved would be taken up to heaven in the rapture, and that "there would follow five months of fire, brimstone and plagues on Earth, with millions of people dying each day, culminating on October 21, 2011, with the final destruction of the world."

The problem there Subduction, I read my bible and it clearly states the following...

The parable of the 10 virgins

Matthew 25:13 "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour."​

1 Thessalonians 5:2 For you are fully aware that the Day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.​

Matthew 24:4 Jesus answered, “See to it that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in My name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. These things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.​

If our Lord and Saviour says that we do not know the day nor the hour and that he will come like a theif in the night...how any mortal human can drum up the falsehood stating he is coming on a particular day...those who believe that are not following the advice of Christ regarding the second coming!

Matthew 24:23 At that time, if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There He is!’ do not believe it. 24For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders that would deceive even the elect, if that were possible. 25See, I have told you in advance.​
Subduction, you will need to present a different argument. That one above (Harold Camping) isnt a good example.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
oh this guy Harold Camping - Wikipedia

"Camping is notorious for issuing a succession of failed predictions of dates for the End Times, which temporarily gained him a global following and millions of dollars of donations.[4][5][6]
Camping first predicted that the Judgment Day would occur on or about September 6, 1994.[7][8][9] When it failed to occur, he revised the date to September 29 and then to October 2.[10][11] In 2005, Camping predicted the Second Coming of Christ to May 21, 2011, whereupon the saved would be taken up to heaven in the rapture, and that "there would follow five months of fire, brimstone and plagues on Earth, with millions of people dying each day, culminating on October 21, 2011, with the final destruction of the world."

The problem there Subduction, I read my bible and it clearly states the following...

The parable of the 10 virgins

Matthew 25:13 "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour."​

1 Thessalonians 5:2 For you are fully aware that the Day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.​

Matthew 24:4 Jesus answered, “See to it that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in My name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. These things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.​

If our Lord and Saviour says that we do not know the day nor the hour and that he will come like a theif in the night...how any mortal human can drum up the falsehood stating he is coming on a particular day...those who believe that are not following the advice of Christ regarding the second coming!

Matthew 24:23 At that time, if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There He is!’ do not believe it. 24For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders that would deceive even the elect, if that were possible. 25See, I have told you in advance.​
Subduction, you will need to present a different argument. That one above (Harold Camping) isnt a good example.
There is no need to. Yes, the Bible says that, but all Christians tend to be pick and choose Christians. None of them believe all of the Bible because too much of it is self contradictory. Harold Camping convinced himself that he knew when the world was going to end. This happens every few years it seems with Christianity. The JW's predicted the end of the world several times.

Please note, no one accused you of making that error, but you cannot deny that countless Christians have done so.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Sorry, but you just can't expect anyone to take such a claim at all seriously.

Maybe there is some form of qualification or scope delimitation missing here?
As you know, the art of storytelling is not only an ancient but also a modern way to convey teachings, and the process is to tell a story with a message(s). Whether it was based on real facts or made-up stories is mostly impossible to determine today and undoubtedly would vary depending on various factors.

Let me use a modern-day myth: Santa Clause. I was brought up to believe it was real and later found out it was just a story-- last year, I believe. ;) Thus, to the teller [my parents], it was myth, but to me it was real.

These myths [not judging whether it's based on real events or not] have a purpose, and often that purpose and specifics can be altered as time goes on. The history of "Santa Claus" is very interesting, so maybe some here can check it out for themselves. Thus, adding and subtracting events with the myth is pretty much standard.

My point, therefore, is that attempting to determine if such events were actual or just made-up or a combination of the two is very difficult to determine today. Thus, my position as an anthropologist who personally has religious leanings is to read the myth and then determine which might be useful for me today. When I got into this with my students, I told them at the outset that I will teach them as if they're 100% slam-dunk facts and let them decide for themselves what's useful or what's not and which parts may be factual or not.