• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal grovelling or nonexistence?

CarlinKnew

This is mainly for the Abrahamic religions. Some believers say hell isn't eternal torture but simply nonexistence. Would you prefer to spend eternity worshipping God or to cease to exist?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
This is mainly for the Abrahamic religions. Some believers say hell isn't eternal torture but simply nonexistence. Would you prefer to spend eternity worshipping God or to cease to exist?

Eternity worshipping/serving God sounds pretty good to me. God allows us to do other things in Heaven also, some think Heaven can be anything you personally want it to be.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, since they don't seem to be biting, I will.

It would depend on whether or not said God was worthy. As to the title, if God wanted me to grovel, he should have made me more submissive.

Better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven.
While I don't think we get the option to rule, if I end up in Hell for guessing wrong, I'm enlisting.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I guess that all depends on how you feel about the God you are worshipping. Personally, I don't think we are going to be spending all our entire existence on our knees, grovelling before God. If I go by what the Bible says, it's going to be a place that's as much of an enjoyment and blissful existence as anything I've ever experienced on earth. My mind can't comprehend nonexistence but I think it can somewhat imagine what it would be like to take my best experience in life and multiple that by 100 and think that it's only a fraction of what I might feel when I'm gone from this world. Worship is a two way street and isn't limited to just what we do for God.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
O.K, I'll take this one seriously;I have never quite understood why "nothingness" frightens people-I have read many atheists/non-theists say that they would not like nothingness. How could they not, when they would not be there to worry about it?

There will be no need to grovel.........just tom enjoy the knowledge of no pain, no hunger, no needs, and eternal joy and wonder.

CarlinKnew

My mind can't comprehend nonexistence

Is it really so hard to imagine? Think of the billions of years before you were born. I don't understand how people have a problem comprehending nonexistence, maybe you could help me.

CarlinKnew

There will be no need to grovel.........just tom enjoy the knowledge of no pain, no hunger, no needs, and eternal joy and wonder.

You would no longer need to give praise and thanks to God once you enter his house? Wouldn't the "wonder" diminish after, say, a trillion years?

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Is it really so hard to imagine? Think of the billions of years before you were born. I don't understand how people have a problem comprehending nonexistence, maybe you could help me.

I probably won't be of any help. I guess non existence would be what I experience when I'm in a dreamless sleep. If that's the case, I guess it wouldn't be so bad but I'd rather experience Heaven if it's what I think it is. Maybe I'd be fine with either of them.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You would no longer need to give praise and thanks to God once you enter his house? Wouldn't the "wonder" diminish after, say, a trillion years?
This is infantile and provocative. "Grovelling" has nothing to do with "giving praise and thanks."
Personally, I don't think God desires our grovelling. But what does it matter to you, anyway? You're obviously a non-believer and hope to bait us into an argument where you can attempt to make fun of us.

The very title of this thread is a dead giveaway.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If it's the kind of heaven filled with my own personal virgins, then I choose heaven - if it's the kind of heaven filled with self-righteous hypocrites, then I choose non-existence.

CarlinKnew

This is infantile and provocative. "Grovelling" has nothing to do with "giving praise and thanks."
Personally, I don't think God desires our grovelling. But what does it matter to you, anyway? You're obviously a non-believer and hope to bait us into an argument where you can attempt to make fun of us.

The very title of this thread is a dead giveaway.

Then switch "grovelling" with "worship." I think the words are interchangeable.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I'm with storm. If god were the type of god who wanted me to grovel or worship him he should have made me the more submissive as well. I had a quote that I came up with ages ago in my sig that went something like "if ever I bow down before a god it will be out of respect and never submission." As fir grattitude I have no problem thanking any God( regardless of how good or evil he may be in the end) just for letting me experience existence. Being able to live in and of itself is plenty for any god to earn my gratitude for giving me the opportunity. But that doesn't mean said god has also earned my respect. Also to be honest the idea of just eternal bliss just sounds so dry and uninspiring to me, it seems so stagnant. I love my life now with all the ups and downs and want to experience everything the universe has to offer me. About the only way any afterlife could interest me is if it gave me the opportunity to explore the universe, to experience life from a new perspective on another world, to let me continue to grow and thrive and live. No matter how blissful just existing isn't really enough for me and thus heaven has no interest.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Then switch "grovelling" with "worship." I think the words are interchangeable.
You don't know much about worship, do you.
The etymology of "worship" has nothing whatsoever to do with grovelling.
So much for what you "think.":foot:

CarlinKnew

You don't know much about worship, do you.
The etymology of "worship" has nothing whatsoever to do with grovelling.
So much for what you "think.":foot:

Do you not consider God to be your master? I don't see the problem here. Wouldn't most Christians gladly grovel before the almighty God?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Do you not consider God to be your master? I don't see the problem here. Wouldn't most Christians gladly grovel before the almighty God?

More of a Father than master. Though master works just as well. I ask that everyone not hate on Carlinknew. Looks like he has some self-esteem issues, since this is his way of getting kicks. Pity him if nothing else.

Enoch07

Premium Member
What specifically have I said that upset you?

I am not upset at all. I think that your sarcasm could upset some people. I think its sad you have to make fun of others to feel better about yourself though. Its about the same as being a high school bully. Its ok you will mature out of it eventually.

CarlinKnew

I am not upset at all. I think that your sarcasm could upset some people. I think its sad you have to make fun of others to feel better about yourself though. Its about the same as being a high school bully. Its ok you will mature out of it eventually.

What sarcasm? I asked you to be specific; you just wasted another post.