• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence Against Gravity Being Absolute

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Intelligent Falling theory? That's no different from Gravity except that some GAWD, or intelligent force, is doing the job. What kind of nonsense is that? :facepalm:
It is a parody, but it points out that we have 2 fundamentally different views of how the universe works.
1) Someone/something is guiding everything on purpose.
2) Stuff happens in a systematic way which we may describe using physics.
I find #1 superfluous, & #2 useful.
All the issues you raise in the OP comport with physics.
Any perceived conflict can be resolved by learning the physics involved.

1. When you drop a ball, the ball bounces up and then comes down. The reason being is that there's not enough acceleration for the ball to go up, hence the reason why it comes down.
Sometimes the rate of acceleration of mechanical systems exceeds acceleration of gravity. I recall when working on railroad braking systems, our components were subject to a 90G environment. Boy, that is hard on stuff!

2. If that example I gave was due to gravity, then why is it that when rockets launch, they don't come down? After all, in the Law of Gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong) says that what comes up must come down, right?
This is not the "Law of Gravity". If you take the integral of the force of gravity on the rocket from the surface of the Earth to infinity, you'll find that it's a finite amount. If your rocket has more energy in its fuel than that, then it can reach escape velocity.

3. If gravity is absolute then why is it that we are weightless outer space on not on Earth?
Even in outer space you're subject to gravity. You just don't feel the effect because there is no resistance to your being pulled in whatever direction nearby matter is pulling you.

4. If gravity was absolute, then that would mean all life forms would be subjected to it. Things wouldn't fly; we would all be subject to the ground of planet earth.
Flying depends upon aerodynamic forces being greater than gravitational forces.
The bees who keep stinging me while groundskeeping have studied & learned to exploit this phenomenon to great effect.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
"what goes up must come down " is neither a theory nor a law.
The effect of gravity changes with mass and distance.
There comes a point when it balances the centripetal force of a satalite in orbit...
There is gravity in space but it is often insignificant compared to other forces.

Kerr

Intelligent Falling theory? That's no different from Gravity except that some GAWD, or intelligent force, is doing the job. What kind of nonsense is that? :facepalm:
Its from The Onion :p. Everything posted on the Onion is a parody. Unfortunately, some people have managed to miss that. Not talking about you, btw. Talking about some people who though it was a serious magazine and wrote to it about the sexiest man alive :D.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/current-events/141942-kim-jong-un-sexiest-man-alive.html

Kerr

Force - Push or pull
Absolute - Independent
Does pull imply moving towards whatever is doing the pulling? And does pushing mean it has to move away? What do you mean by "gravity being absolute"?

Sorry for the odd questions, just making sure I understand your terminoligy.

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

Does pull imply moving towards whatever is doing the pulling? And does pushing mean it has to move away? What do you mean by "gravity being absolute"?

Sorry for the odd questions, just making sure I understand your terminoligy.

The reason why I brought up "gravity being absolute" was because my 10th grade teacher would say that Gravity is absolute, as in being a dominant force.

Pushing means to move forward. Pulling means to move backward. Common sense, dude.

It's all about questioning everything: from politics to science.

Kerr

The reason why I brought up "gravity being absolute" was because my 10th grade teacher would say that Gravity is absolute, as in being a dominant force.
Your teacher was wrong :p. Gravity is pretty weak as far as forces go. The weakest, if I remember correctly.

Pushing means to move forward. Pulling means to move backward. Common sense, dude.
If you stand in front of a car thats moving forward and try but fail to push it in the direction, does that mean you are not pushing?

It's all about questioning everything: from politics to science.
That I actually agree with :p.

Last edited:

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

Your teacher was wrong :p. Gravity is pretty weak as far as forces go. The weakest, if I remember correctly.

If you stand in front of a car thats moving forward and try but fail to push it in the direction, does that mean you are not pushing?

1. How can gravity be a force if it's said to be weak? If it was weak, then how come we're said to be subject to it?

2. It means that you're not pushing hard enough, or that the object is too heavy. No need to blame it on gravity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
1. How can gravity be a force if it's said to be weak?

It is a weak force, simple as that. All that means is that other known forces are stronger than gravity.

"Force" in physics is not a judgement of importance, but rather of the existence of a potential or energy.

If it was weak, then how come we're said to be subject to it?

Because it acts on us. It is not always a significant influence, but it exists.

2. It means that you're not pushing hard enough, or that the object is too heavy. No need to blame it on gravity.

That is the point. Forces may exist yet not be decisive in the behavior of objects, mostly because other, stronger forces may counter them wholly or modify their effect.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I've been thinking a bit on the Law of Gravity and came to the conclusion that it's not absolute at all. Here's some good reasons.

1. When you drop a ball, the ball bounces up and then comes down. The reason being is that there's not enough acceleration for the ball to go up, hence the reason why it comes down.
2. If that example I gave was due to gravity, then why is it that when rockets launch, they don't come down? After all, in the Law of Gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong) says that what comes up must come down, right?
3. If gravity is absolute then why is it that we are weightless outer space on not on Earth?
4. If gravity was absolute, then that would mean all life forms would be subjected to it. Things wouldn't fly; we would all be subject to the ground of planet earth.

All inputs are welcome.

Fg = (G * m1*m2)/d^2

G = universal gravition constant = 6.673 x 10 ^-11
m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies (ie the earth and a rubber ball, person, bird, etc)

d is the distance between the center of masses of the two objects

The rest of your questions relate to surface tension, aerodynamics and acceleration.

Okay, gravity attracts mass togetger. One can override gravity (say, by jumping), but the Earth still pulls you back down once your thrust is expended.

And yes, something can be "weak" and still be a force. Gravity is the weakest of the four fundamental forces, but it still exists. Electromagnetism overrides gravity. The color charge overrides electromagnetism.

Kerr

1. How can gravity be a force if it's said to be weak? If it was weak, then how come we're said to be subject to it?
I said it was weak as far as forces go, not that it isnt strong enough to have a significant impact on the world. To my knowledge, there are 4 forces in the world. Gravity, the electromagnetic force, and the strong and weak nuclear force. The strong nuclear force is the strongest and gravity is the weakest.

I didnt blame it on gravity. My point was that if you try to stop a car by pushing it, you are still pushing. Just like gravity is still pulling a rocket that isnt falling down.

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

Okay, gravity attracts mass togetger. One can override gravity (say, by jumping), but the Earth still pulls you back down once your thrust is expended.

I believe you are not getting what I'm saying - it's the speed and acceleration that is dependent on whether you not you accelerate. Why hasn't people figured this out already that it's only the speed and the acceleration that comes from the body and mind is the force and not some "outside" force like gravity? I swear man, people need to examine these Newtonian physical laws because they are so obsolete compared to stuff such as Dark Matter and Quantum Mechanics.