• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence Against Gravity Being Absolute

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Is it bad that I thought this was a parody of creationist arguments against evolution when I first read it?

dust1n

Zindīq
I've been thinking a bit on the Law of Gravity and came to the conclusion that it's not absolute at all. Here's some good reasons.

1. When you drop a ball, the ball bounces up and then comes down. The reason being is that there's not enough acceleration for the ball to go up, hence the reason why it comes down.
2. If that example I gave was due to gravity, then why is it that when rockets launch, they don't come down? After all, in the Law of Gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong) says that what comes up must come down, right?

The reason a rocket launches and doesn't come down is because the propulsion from the jet fuel is stronger then the strength of Earth's gravity. It just takes a certain velocity. How do you think people sent rocket's in space? They did it by beating gravity's force, not by acting as if gravity didn't exist.

3. If gravity is absolute then why is it that we are weightless outer space on not on Earth?
"Although the Earth's gravity has a lesser effect on an astronaut orbiting the Earth in a spaceship than on a person on the surface of the Earth, this is not the reason why an astronaut experiences weightlessness. The space shuttle, International Space Station and most other manned vehicles don't get that far from the Earth. The Earth's gravitational attraction at those altitudes is only about 11% less than it is at the Earth's surface. If you had a ladder that could reach as high as the shuttle's orbit, your weight would be 11% less at the top. Put another way, a person who weighs 100 pounds on the Earth's surface would weigh about 89 pounds at the top of the ladder.

The reason why the person wouldn't feel weightless is because they are being pushed by the ladder - it is keeping them from falling. If they were to jump off the ladder, then they would feel weightless, at least up until the time they splatted on the ground. This is why astronauts feel weightless. The astronaut, the spaceship and everything inside it are falling towards the Earth. The reason why the astronaut doesn't go splat is because the Earth is curved and the astronaut, the spaceship and everything inside it are moving 'sideways' fast enough that, as they fall towards the Earth, the surface of the Earth curves away from them. They are always falling towards the Earth, but they never get there.

The reason why you don't see gravitational effects between objects in a spacecraft is because gravity is a very, very weak force. Of the four basic forces that scientists are sure about, gravity is, by far, the weakest one. Have you ever tripped and fallen down? Well, it took the whole planet to do that to you. Have you ever seen a sock stick to a shirt after it has come out of a dryer? That static cling, created by a slight imbalance of charge between the sock and the shirt, is stronger than the gravitational attraction of the Earth. The gravitational attraction between two small objects in a spacecraft would be overwhelmed by other forces, such as the force of the air being circulated throughout the spacecraft. Although the force of attraction is there, it is so weak that special care would have to be taken to notice it."

In space we feel weightlessness because...

4. If gravity was absolute, then that would mean all life forms would be subjected to it. Things wouldn't fly; we would all be subject to the ground of planet earth.

All inputs are welcome.
All life forms are subjected to gravity. A bird is able to fly because:

Unpowered aerial locomotion

These modes of locomotion typically require an animal start from a raised location, converting that potential energy into kinetic energy and using aerodynamic forces to control trajectory and angle of descent. Energy is continually lost to drag without being replaced, thus these methods of locomotion have limited range and duration.

• Falling: decreasing altitude under the force of gravity, using no adaptations to increase drag or provide lift.
  • Parachuting: falling at an angle greater than 45° from the horizontal with adaptations to increase drag forces. Very small animals may be carried up by the wind. Some gliding animals may use their gliding membranes for drag rather than lift, to safely descend.
  • Gliding flight: falling at an angle less than 45° from the horizontal with lift from adapted aerofoil membranes. This allows slowly falling directed horizontal movement, with streamlining to decrease drag forces for aerofoil efficiency and often with some maneuverability in air. Gliding animals have a lower aspect ratio (wing length/breadth) than true flyers.
Powered flight

Powered flight has evolved only 4 times (birds, bats, pterosaurs, and insects), and uses muscular power to generate aerodynamic forces and replace energy lost to drag.

• Flapping: moving wings for directly producing thrust. May ascend without the aid of the wind, as opposed to gliders and parachuters.
Externally powered aerial locomotion

Ballooning and soaring are not powered by muscle, but rather by external aerodynamic sources of energy: the wind and rising thermals, respectively. Both can continue as long as the source of external power is present. Soaring is typically only seen in species capable of powered flight, as it requires extremely large wings.

• Ballooning: being carried up into the air from the aerodynamic effect on long strands of silk in the wind. Certain silk-producing arthropods, mostly small or young spiders, secrete a special light-weight gossamer silk for ballooning, sometimes traveling great distances at high altitude.
  • Soaring: gliding in rising or otherwise moving air that requires specific physiological and morphological adaptations that can sustain the animal aloft without flapping its wings. The rising air is due to thermals, ridge lift or other meteorological features. Under the right conditions, soaring creates a gain of altitude without expending energy. Large wingspans are needed for efficient soaring.
Many species will use multiple of these modes at various times; a hawk will use powered flight to rise, then soar on thermals, then descend via free-fall to catch its prey.

Flying and gliding animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enai de a lukal

jiFfM.jpg

This PERFECTLY captures the natural reaction to the OP. When one facepalm just doesn't cut it indeed.

MrOmega

OP, OMG!

Gravity has spin!

Search in quotations, my membership here prohibits link dropping till I reach a number of posts.

Decrypting the Eclipse - NASA Science

Of course it's absolute... All practical reasons make that irrelevant. Joking around...

In a marathon experiment, Maurice Allais released a Foucault pendulum every 14 minutes - for 30 days and nights -without missing a data point. He recorded the direction of rotation (in degrees) at his Paris laboratory. This energetic show of human endurance happened to overlap with the 1954 solar eclipse. During the eclipse, the pendulum took an unexpected turn, changing its angle of rotation by 13.5 degrees.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I've been thinking a bit on the Law of Gravity and came to the conclusion that it's not absolute at all. Here's some good reasons.

1. When you drop a ball, the ball bounces up and then comes down. The reason being is that there's not enough acceleration for the ball to go up, hence the reason why it comes down.
2. If that example I gave was due to gravity, then why is it that when rockets launch, they don't come down? After all, in the Law of Gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong) says that what comes up must come down, right?
3. If gravity is absolute then why is it that we are weightless outer space on not on Earth?
4. If gravity was absolute, then that would mean all life forms would be subjected to it. Things wouldn't fly; we would all be subject to the ground of planet earth.

All inputs are welcome.
Someone has already answered you I bet but here it is. This isn't really a debate but I can inform you on the subject.

1. Misuse of several terms. Acceleration is the change in speed. What you meant to say was momentum. However even this is a misunderstood concept. To escape earth's gravity you would need a collosal amount of momentum. Otherwise the general laws of gravity are in effect.

2. This is a misconception. There isn't a magical line that allows us to escape earth's gravity in the way your thinking. What happens with objects such as these is they go into orbit. Orbit is where they are going so fast that their rate of speed actually matches the curvature of the earth so that they remain in constant free fall. This is also why astronauts appear to be in zero gravity. Its like falling down and having a ball in front of you fall at the same rate and from your perspective it appears to be floating.

3. Answered mostly in number 2. However there is the misconception that we are without gravity anywhere. We are being pulled by Jupiter's gravity right now. It doesn't affect us because we are so far away and the force is so weak. The sun also affects us and is what keeps our planet in orbit.

4. If gravity was the begining and end to all movement then you would be right. But we have lift, pressure, ect ect ect. All mechanics that can create counter force to do things despite gravity.