• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for God

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And what evidence did Bahaollah give?
His own Self -- who He was, His character (His qualities). That can be determined by reading about Him on books such as the following: The Revelation of Bahá'u'lláh, Volumes 1-4

His Revelation -- what He accomplished (His Mission on earth/ the history of His Cause)
That can be determined by reading about His mission on books such as the following:

God Passes By (1844-1944)
The Revelation of Bahá'u'lláh, Volumes 1-4, which cover the 40 years of His Mission, from 1853-1892.

His Writings -- what He wrote can be found in books that are posted online: The Works of Bahá'u'lláh

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
One can have evidence as well as faith. I have evidence for Baha'u'llah but since I can never prove that He received messages from God I have to have faith in order to believe that.
Exactly my point.
However, there is evidence that God exists and that evidence is the Messengers of God.
Unfortunately, there is none. At least according to have you shown us until now. Which is nothing, really.

If I declare myself messenger of Superman, then it is not the case that the evidence of Superman is magically available.

So, show to us how your messengers are evidence that God exists. And we will submit that to rational scrutiny.

Ciao

- viole

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Science does not make any claim for that. Science is investigating.,.
Who's "science" .. your son? ;)
People can "investigate" as they please .. if G-d does not want to be detected empirically, He won't be.

"Your mind to my mind .. your thoughts to my thoughts" :D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So, show to us how your messengers are evidence that God exists. And we will submit that to rational scrutiny.
I cannot show anyone that, they have to show themselves. They can do that by looking at the evidence and submitting it to rational scrutiny.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Joseph Smith had plenty of evidence, though.

Not enough to convince me, but AFAICT, the evidence for Joseph Smith's prophethood is on par with the evidence for Baha'u'llah being a messenger.
But Joseph Smith never claimed to be a Messenger of God so he was in a different category.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can, but I won't.. I don't wish to discuss on the level of "invisible pink unicorns" bla bla.
Then provide something substantial enough that people aren't motivated to use such examples in comparison.

The faithful are typically quick to being offended at the comparison of their insufficiently evidenced god with other insufficiently evidenced beliefs, and end discussion. That's fine, but it is concession, even if one doesn't mean that and even if he doesn't agree. If we try the same thing in court as a defendant - "I don't care to discuss it" - we'll be convicted. Try it in a spelling bee or a sporting event - just quit because you're offended - and you just lost. And you can complain all you want that you don't recognize the judgment, but it won't matter there, either. You don't need to. It's loss either way, with or without your understanding or agreement.
what do you think is responsible for all we see?
I don't know, and I don't find value in guessing. What seems most likely is that our universe is a local phenomenon in a multiverse (an unconscious substance) that has always existed uncaused.
Anyone can claim to be a Messenger of God, but why should anyone believe them if they cannot back up that claim with evidence?
Nobody should believe them even if they offer evidence if the evidence doesn't support the claim about it.
One can have evidence as well as faith. I have evidence for Baha'u'llah but since I can never prove that He received messages from God I have to have faith in order to believe that.
No, your evidence adds nothing if you have to get to your conclusion by a leap of faith anyway. One fallacy (non sequitur) defeats you, just as one bacterium defeats a sterile solution an one poisonous apple defeats a safe barrel of apples. This is where you go wrong fallaciously invoking a black and white fallacy. This a black and white situation. There are no shades of gray. Either your conclusion derives directly from your evidence through a fallacy-free argument in which it is justified belief, or it doesn't, and it really doesn't matter what you point at and call evidence for your belief.
No, I only accept the claims of those who have evidence to back up their claims.
Joseph Smith and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Ahmadiyyas had no evidence.
But they do have evidence - same as all messengers. They have their words, their characters, and their missions. Why don't you also believe them that they are channeling a god or gods? How about me? I have a message, a mission, and a character. That makes me a messenger of God by your criteria. Of course, you'll disagree, but won't have any justification for your double standard more than you choose to believe some but not others making that claim despite having no test for distinguishing between them.
I've done that many times but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
That was in response to, "If that were true, at least some theists would be able to articulate in a rational way what that evidence is and how it implies that God exists." To my knowledge, you have never tried to explain why what you call evidence supports your belief. You just claim that it does.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
He didn't?

"I was called of my Heavenly Father to lay the foundation of this great work and kingdom in this dispensation, and testify of His revealed will to scattered Israel."
- Joseph Smith
I was not aware of that since I don't know a lot about him or his claims....
Did he claim to be the return of Christ? I don't think so.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
1) how did you determine that a God can never speak to humans? An infinite God cannot manage communication? In the OT God spoke freely to humans.

Who said we can only understand God from a messenger?

It's a Baha'i thing, and maybe with a lot of this particular Baha'i adding their interpretations into it. She, and other Baha'is, take whatever they want out of the Bible and the NT and make it not literal but symbolic, then with other things she quotes the Bible as if it is literal.
Baha'is are still going with the "messengers" are the evidence? But they to supposedly existed in this spirit world that the Baha'is claim is real, yet they were able to incarnate into a physical body. Then even God was able to appear to Moses but only showed him his back.

Then the Bible also has God sending the "angel of the Lord" to go tell somebody something. Whoever that was? But this angel was also a "messenger" from God and was spirit but was able to appear for a short time then disappeared. But it doesn't matter, Baha'is won't accept this Bible evidence.

Now I don't care so much that the Baha'is don't take some things in the Bible and NT literal, but it's who they claim are manifestations/messengers from the Bible that bothers me. In the Bible, Adam is not a manifestation but a guy who screwed up and disobeyed God. And here if Baha'is want to call that story symbolic, I'm okay with that. But then why and how do they make him a manifestation?

Then there is Noah and Abraham. I don't see any reason in the Bible stories about them to make them manifestations either. Three people from Genesis? All manifestations? Then, Baha'is aren't finished with Judaism yet, they add Moses. Call him a prophet but a manifestation is a level much higher than that. They are supposedly "perfect" reflections of God. Moses was not perfect and I don't think that Judaism or Christianity make him to be this special creation of God, a manifestation.

It all Baha'i beliefs. I just don't think it that everything they believe is true.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
If that were true, at least some theists would be able to articulate in a rational way what that evidence is and how it implies that God exists.
God parted the seas.. Destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah... Sent fire from heaven and consumed Elijahs sacrifice and later, carried Elijah off into the sky in a fiery chariot.

Then with Jesus, The virgin birth and a wandering star. God speaking from heaven. Jesus walking on water and raising the dead and healing the sick. Dead saints coming out of their graves in Jerusalem. Jesus coming back to life and ascending into the clouds. All these things were witnessed and attested to and then written down in the Bible and NT, so that people could read about these things and know that God is real.

But... even Baha'is give reasons to doubt that any of these things really happened. But their stuff? Now that stuff is true.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was not aware of that since I don't know a lot about him or his claims....
Did he claim to be the return of Christ? I don't think so.
I get the sense that you don't want to address my point directly, so if you saying that Joseph Smith didn't claim to be the return of Christ somehow - for reasons that escape me - makes you feel like you don't need to deal with the issue I raised, you go right ahead.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It's very fishy that God inspires books and texts that insist he exists, but God can't leave actual evidence that it exists, as if there is a secret to keep? The evidence suggests that gods are invented by humans. That is the Occam's Razor solution.
And we know some Gods of some people were invented. Even with some religions that Baha'is believe are true. The Christian trinity? Baha'is say an invention. The many Gods and Goddesses of Hinduism? Baha'is say "no". They are not real. The Baha'is God that can't be seen and can't be proven except for what the Baha'i prophet tells us about him? Now that God is real.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Really? That's just the tip of the iceberg of what people believe by faith
I knew some Baha'is that claimed to have seen visions of Abdul Baha'. That's not exactly seeing God, but it's a start. Now only if God can figure out how Abdul Baha', a spirit, was able to do it. But, since God is infinitely bigger than Abdul Baha', maybe it's not so easy. If God could only find a way to show just a little bit of himself?