• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I guess you will have to research the available evidence yourself CG.

I will not be commenting on it further.

Regards Tony
That's your "comment" on this?
So, what the Baha'i Faith says about Buddhism is true, and what Buddhists say about their own religion is false? Yet, Baha'u'llah didn't mention the Buddha at all?
In other words you have nothing. I've already looked at some of the Baha'i information about Buddhism and Hinduism. If you're not going to add anything, then I have come to the conclusion that the Baha'i Faith have added Hinduism and Buddhism as an after-thought. Baha'u'llah didn't think they were worth mentioning. But, since they have conflicting beliefs with the Baha'i Faith, the Baha'is Faith had to say that some beliefs in those religions are wrong... like reincarnation and rebirth. And, for Hinduism change them from being polytheistic to monotheistic. And with Buddhism add in that the Buddha taught about God.

This is negative evidence, to me, that the Baha'i Faith is the truth. The Baha'i Faith has a lot of good things, but is the Baha'i Faith the absolute, inerrant, infallible truth from God? It doesn't seem like it to me. It's just another religion with some good stuff and some claims about God and things that can't be known for sure. But for the believer, those things must be believed as true. But they are stuck when they try and prove that those things are really true.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
She is only going by her Baha'i beliefs. Christians have "evidence" in the Bible of God speaking audibly and God sending angels, the angel of the Lord and Gabriel to people. It doesn't sound as if Baha'is believe those stories. If not, then they are rejecting the Bible "evidence" that Christians provide. But it's even worse for Baha'is if they say that those stories are true, because it would mean that God does communicate to people, and not just "manifestations".

Like you say, if they want to believe it, no problem. But the claim is that it is the absolute truth, and God has told them to tell others about that truth. And that makes it our problem. It puts us in a situation to where we need to check it out and see if what they claim is true. If some of us need more evidence and proof, because we don't think the "evidence" they provide is good enough, isn't that reasonable?

I think it makes absolute sense, since not one of the other religions, according to Baha'i beliefs, has it exactly right. Why should a person believe any of them without knowing for sure. And since none of them can be known for sure, why believe in any of them? All of them expect their followers to take somethings on faith, meaning just because they say it's true. But are any of them true? I can't trust them just because they say so. And many of them give "evidence" as to why the others are wrong. Even Baha'is, who say, "They all used to be right, but now they're wrong. And we, the Baha'is, are the only ones that have the truth for this day and age." Maybe, let's see. What else you got besides... "Baha'u'llah said so."
I know. And I think that jealousy of atheists has quite a bit to do with this thread. Atheists can have a clear rational reason not to believe. The OP seems to desire to have a rational belief but knows that he cannot support it. Others may try to support their beliefs as being rational, but fail to do so and cannot afford to understand why their arguments fail.

At any rate I do not see a resolution coming from the believers. If one claims to have reliable evidence for one's beliefs on is taking on a burden of proof.

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
You have the wrong minefield. He was talking about lies the Baha'i tell about Buddha. His words were, "Baha'is don't believe some of the things that Buddhists believe these days, so they will make up their own beliefs about the Buddha and tell their people that those are the things Buddha really taught. Like one God and no reincarnation."

Did you want to apologize to the Buddhists now?

That proves the minefield that would result.

It is a simple task to Google original Buddha manuscripts and see what one can find.

As for specific subjects, see what evidence is available to support the concept.

Reincarnation - Wikipedia

I like this, "Skeptic Carl Sagan asked the Dalai Lama what he would do if a fundamental tenet of his religion (reincarnation) were definitively disproved by science. The Dalai Lama answered, "If science can disprove reincarnation, Tibetan Buddhism would abandon reincarnation…"

Obviously the Dalai Lama is a very wise man.

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
All faiths have "evidence" for their fundamental truths. But the truths are different. What is in common is that the evidence is unreliable.
Yes, and if those truths are wrapped up in myth and legends, do we have to accept those myths and legends as being true also? In a way, I think the Baha'i Faith does try to eliminate the beliefs in some of those things that sound mythical by saying that some of them aren't historical and literal but were meant to be taken symbolically. Like with fundy Christians, a person can't believe the basic spiritual truths without taking the whole Bible and NT literally. They must believe it all. And I don't think Baha'is are any better. Can Baha'is just promote the virtues of love and kindness and generosity and such without expecting people to have to accept the whole religion?

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
In other words you have nothing. I've already looked at some of the Baha'i information about Buddhism and Hinduism. If you're not going to add anything, then I have come to the conclusion that the Baha'i Faith have added Hinduism and Buddhism as an after-thought.

If that is what you choose, I am not here to change your choices CG.

I have my own thoughts about this, based from the evidence I have pursued.

This OP is not going to go off topic on this.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
All faiths have "evidence" for their fundamental truths. But the truths are different. What is in common is that the evidence is unreliable.

This would be a great topic to explore. "Fundamental Truths of Faith".

One may find the evidence provides that the fundamental truths are indeed One.

That is not this OP though.

Thanks for giving the confirmation answer for this OP

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Why believe those stories of Jesus? The first gospels of his are from over a generation after he died. The religion almost certainly started as oral tradition. A lot can change in 35 years.
She's got nothing. Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus had nothing to do with Hinduism and Buddhism. Why would they mention them. In fact, the only time other religions are mentioned in the Bible it is to say they are false.

But the Baha'i Faith does have a reason to mention them, at least now. The claim is that those religions are part of the progression leading up to the Baha'i Faith. Why then didn't Baha'u'llah mention them?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm sure one of the Baha'is must have gone through the reasons why they think Baha'u'llah's character, his mission, his writings and revelation are evidence or proof to them. But I don't remember.

I'm sure, to them, he was a great guy, wrote incredible amounts of material that sounded, to them, spiritual and profound, and that he gave his life to his cause of spreading, what Baha'is believe, to be the truth about God and the truth from God.

One of my main complaints is that his message contradicts the messages given in the other religions. It is nowhere near the beliefs of Hinduism and Buddhism and greatly contradicts Christianity. So, for Baha'u'llah's message to be true, Baha'is have to make those other messages wrong. And they do. Which leaves only the Baha'i message as the only true and accurate message from God.

Yes, them and every other religion believes theirs is better and truer than everybody else's. A Muslim or a Christian can agree with Baha'is on a thread like this and say, "Yes, there is a God and there is evidence God is real", but, as we all know, they're not talking about the same God... especially those trinitarian Christians.
They're talking about different concepts of evidence, as well. Character, mission and writings claiming revelation may all be admirable, but from an epistemic perspective I'm skeptical.

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
Tony, what makes you think that was a "choice"?

I see all our thoughts and actions are founded in choice. CG made a choice to say I have nothing to offer.

The thoughts I have on more ancient faiths and what they provide, are founded in evidence given in more recent faiths.

I see the evidence shows all Faith is from.One Source and as such the fundamental truths are not opposing.

That is way beyond the scope if this OP.

The evidence can provide key concepts to consider what past faiths may have been offering, yet time and man have changed many aspects of the original teachings.

We are taught this in school, all of us would have done the science on the accuracy of oral transmission.

Regards Tony

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Isn't this the kind of evidence Messengers are supposed to possess? If not, then they were also under delusion...
Yes, and whether or not it's true is another matter, but the gospels went out of their way to show that God was real. Angels appearing, God speaking from heaven. the virgin birth, doves descending, dead people coming out of their graves in Jerusalem. Jesus healing a lame man and forgiving him of his sins, then angels appearing and saying Jesus had risen from the dead. That's what the gospels say. How much of it do even Baha'is say is true? If this stuff didn't happen as reported in the gospels, then what? Is the NT the truth or just parly true and partly made up?

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
They're talking about different concepts of evidence, as well. Character, mission and writings claiming revelation may all be admirable, but from an epistemic perspective I'm skeptical.

I think that being sceptical is a required virtue in this age.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
Isn't this the kind of evidence Messengers are supposed to possess? If not, then they were also under delusion...

The evidence is provided as

The Person
The Revelation, and
The Message.

From those sources, all we will ever know of God can be found. They contain the facts and proofs.

Now if we say God is all knowing, what is provided in the evidence to prove to us God is all knowing?

That is all one can say, as exploration of that answer is not this OP.

Regards Tony

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure if you can show that each step is functional then the darwinian mechanism would be the best explanation.

You will also become very rich and very famous for making such a discovery
What discovery? You learned all this in high school biology, didn't you? There's nothing new here.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Why? I find the activity quite productive. Sorry that it's like a fist fight for you, but that was your choice to frame it thusly. It's not how I experience it. That's on you. Your choices are to reconsider and adapt - maybe ego and belligerence is not what motivates them - choose not to participate, or go on feeling beset.
There's some Baha'i quotes about a spark of truth can come out of the clashing of differing opinions. And that if a person only has one good quality and ten bad ones to disregard the bad ones and focus on the one good one.

Obviously, Baha'is here don't follow those teachings. Then there is one that if religion is the cause of division, we are better off without religion. I mentioned this earlier, when Baha'is start applying their own teachings and treating others as one and treat them with kindness and respect, I'll take that as evidence that their religion has something meaningful and true.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Mmmm, strawberry flavor!

John, what is the bird in your avatar pic? The beak looks like a budgerigar (Australian ground parrot) but I've never seen such bright colors in that species.

As Subs said it's an Eastern Rosella, quite common in my little area of the world which is lucky because it's my favourite bird species. I captured that one feeding on seeds near a beach so the sandy white foreground helped accentuate his colours. Their bright colouring actually makes them difficult to spot in long grass and trees. Bird boffins like to argue their relationship to other parrots. They even like to argue the number of rosella species and sub species. DNA has somewhat spoiled that so most of the heated debate now centres around the origin of the name Rosella.

I won't waffle on any longer, wouldn't want to derail the cries of outrage at people debating people in a debate forum or the claims of martyrdom at being abused by the evil atheists as they themselves drop a dozen or so insults.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The OP seems to desire to have a rational belief but knows that he cannot support it. Others may try to support their beliefs as being rational, but fail to do so and cannot afford to understand why their arguments fail.

Just as "hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue" in an effort to imitate or claim it, this is the homage the faith-based thinker pays reason. He wants to be seen as reasonable despite having little interest in learning critical thinking or even discovering what it is.

We also see the creationists pay homage to the science they have never been interested in or learned with sciency looking objections from apologetcs sources challenging evolutionary science, for example. They want the credit without doing the work, and seem to resent it being denied them simply because they have what they claim is critical thinking, reason, and science on their side, and can't see how it differs from what others who have learned these things require of themselves to use those terms.

This is an incoherent thought. There is only nature, and if something cannot be detected interacting with things that exist, the collection of which we call nature or reality, then it cannot be said to exist. Your claim is used to try to call something that is never seen to interact with nature in any time or place real anyway. It is used to excuse an imagined god from having to meet any criteria for existence, yet be said to exist. Usually, we are also told that God is outside of time and space, and transcending physical law and reason, all in the service of trying to explain why this god exists and yet is undetectable and does nothing that wouldn't be seen in a godless universe.

There is much that can be discussed as to how God's interaction in creation is manifested, which is contained within the given evidence. We would talking about the Spirit that is the cause of creation when we talk of God, it needs logic and reason to discuss this, not the lack of. In saying that, the interaction of God is manifested in creation which can resonate with humanity, and this interaction is manifested in many ways, humanitarian efforts are born from that interaction. All that divides humanity is born from the neglect of that interaction. That is not this OP, as it has never been the intent to provide proofs of God, just the line of evidence we need to pursue, if there is going to be meaningful discussions about God. The only evidence where the existence of God can be proved by logical and rational thought, is via the evidence provided as noted in this OP. The evidence doee provides the key lines of investigation needed. Unless people are willing to consider that faith also requires critical and analytical thought and reasoning, I doubt we will ever be able to discuss these matter's, yet our goals are for the good of all humanity.

Did you think this was a rebuttal? You have nothing here but unsubstantiated claims, meaning that you supported zero of them. Rebuttals are falsifying arguments. There is nothing in your answer that would cause anybody to change their mind about anything at all much less my argument.

Are you familiar with Hitchens' Razor, "what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." You use the words reason and evidence a lot, but you seem to have no sense of what those are. You just use the words. Now you've added "critical and analytical thought and reasoning." This is you paying homage to the world you chose not to inhabit when you chose faith and lost interest in academia. I'll bet you disagree, but I also bet that you can't rebut it for two reasons. You don't know what any of that really is or how to do it, and because correct claims cannot be successfully rebutted even by experts at rebuttal.

I'm going to insert a couple of terms I've learned from other critical thinkers on these threads recently relevant to these kinds of discussions
  • motivated reasoning - "the phenomenon in cognitive science and social psychology in which emotional biases lead to justifications or decisions based on their desirability rather than an accurate reflection of the evidence." The critical thinker trains himself to not do this.
  • critical rationalism - "an epistemological philosophy advanced by Karl Popper on the basis that, if a statement cannot be logically deduced (from what is known), it might nevertheless be possible to logically falsify it." The critical thinker rejects metaphysical claims because they are not falsifiable if they aren't testable.
  • apistevist - "Someone who rejects using faith as a legitimate method to reach conclusions." That also defines the critical thinker.
I like this, "Skeptic Carl Sagan asked the Dalai Lama what he would do if a fundamental tenet of his religion (reincarnation) were definitively disproved by science. The Dalai Lama answered, "If science can disprove reincarnation, Tibetan Buddhism would abandon reincarnation…" Obviously the Dalai Lama is a very wise man.

This is you paying homage to empiricism. Nothing can be proved or disproved to a person who won't admit and dispassionately evaluate the evidence and argument provided. You can't do that. The window of opportunity for developing such skills closed decades ago. You've closed a door that you can't see any longer.

But you're far from alone. You may know that the moderator in the debate between Ken Ham and Bill Nye on whether creationism is a viable scientific pursuit asked them, “What would change your minds?” Scientist Bill Nye answered, “Evidence.” Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham answered, “Nothing. I'm a Christian.” Elsewhere, Ham stated, “By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."

Do you understand that he has cut himself off from discovering that he is wrong where it can be demonstrated?

Here's more of that phenomenon of closing oneself off to evidence from an eminent Christian apologist some consider an intellectual. I disagree because of comments like this one:
  • "The way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit in my heart. And this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, even if in some historically contingent circumstances the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I do not think that this controverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right..." - William Lane Craig
And here are a couple more fideists proudly proclaiming to the world that their minds are permanently closed for business. They consider this kind of thinking virtuous:
  • “If somewhere in the Bible I were to find a passage that said 2 + 2 = 5, I wouldn't question what I am reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and do my best to work it out and understand it."- Pastor Peter laRuffa
  • “When science and the Bible differ, science has obviously misinterpreted its data. The only Bible-honoring conclusion is, of course, that Genesis 1-11 is actual historical truth, regardless of any scientific or chronological problems thereby entailed.” – creationist Henry Morris

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I know. And I think that jealousy of atheists has quite a bit to do with this thread. Atheists can have a clear rational reason not to believe. The OP seems to desire to have a rational belief but knows that he cannot support it. Others may try to support their beliefs as being rational, but fail to do so and cannot afford to understand why their arguments fail.

At any rate I do not see a resolution coming from the believers. If one claims to have reliable evidence for one's beliefs on is taking on a burden of proof.
Like we've talked about... people can come to believe in most any religion and it's going to work for them. I have felt that spiritual thing inside. I felt filled with light and joy and love. But it happened while believing three different religions. Religions that contradicted each other.

I lost that filling as a Christian when I stopped believing it was all the absolute truth. Doubting one little thing destroyed the whole thing for me. Now I doubt most all of it. Unfortunately for Baha'is, the Christian experience has made me very leery of all religions and their claims. And it doesn't help that Baha'is can't answer the deeper questions.

Like... Why did Baha'u'llah say, ""Among the Prophets was Noah. For nine hundred and fifty years He prayerfully exhorted His people and summoned them to the haven of security and peace..."

How are Baha'is supposed to answer that? The "official" answer... "The years of Noah are not years as we count them, and as our teachings do not state that this reference to years means His dispensation, we cannot interpret it this way..."

Without a good answer, I think this is evidence that Baha'u'llah made mistakes and was not the infallible manifestation of God that he claimed to be.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
If that is what you choose, I am not here to change your choices CG.

I have my own thoughts about this, based from the evidence I have pursued.

This OP is not going to go off topic on this.

Regards Tony
Sorry, my mistake. I thought you said it worked for all messengers.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Depends which Buddhist you ask! A Buddhist teaching is a teaching founded on the acceptance as true the seals of existence (of which there are three or four!) and so beyond this I think even within schools there can be differing interpretations of rebirth. I think all schools/traditions agree that no-self (one of the seals is that all phenomena are empty) means there is no abiding soul to survive death (and hence no reincarnation as the word is commonly used). I consider rebirth to be moment by moment. It's dangerous to lift quotes from longer sections but here is one: A founder of Soto Zen, Dogen said: "Just as firewood does not become firewood again after it is ash, you do not return to birth after death." (In context: it is part of his examination of what in English might be called being-time). Given Theravada Buddhism considers that there is rebirth (but no soul!) into other planes of existence after this human death, it can all get a bit knotty; Buddhism is not a revealed religion and (I would say) not frozen in time nor meant to be just swallowed uncritically. There have been 2000 years since the death of the Buddha and many people, such as Dogen and Nagarjuna (and even Secret Chief ;) ) consider his words with a critical eye. Sheesh tl;dr.
Thanks, I like learning about religions. I just don't like when some religions make themselves out to be the only true one. And that's one of my problems with the Baha'i Faith. Although they say all religions are one, when I looked into it, they really meant that they all were true but have now been replaced with the teachings of the Baha'i Faith.