• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm, I don't understand why it is unreasonable to expect gods to make their existence known to us in fairly unmistakable ways, if any do indeed exist. There are a great many ways that they could do that. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
That depends on whether said Gods want worship. I'm simply not making that assumption in this thread.

I'm not making that assumption, because I wholeheartedly agree that if they did, they could and should make themselves known.

So, in the absence of such direct evidence of their existence, one can infer at least three things:

1) Gods do not exist.
2) Gods exist but are incapable of interacting with us in a way that makes their existence obvious.
3) Gods exist, but they have reasons for not making their existence obvious to us.

My understanding of your beliefs is that you reject (1) and consider (2) or (3) more reasonable inferences. Is that right?
I consider all three logical. I personally believe in God, but I understand why people don't.

1 is rejected only for purposes of this discussion.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
That depends on whether said Gods want worship. I'm simply not making that assumption in this thread.

I'm not making that assumption, because I wholeheartedly agree that if they did, they could and should make themselves known.

That's why I think the first step is to define God. If we use your definition, a Deist God, then we should not expect or require any evidence.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
A sense that requires physical stuff isn't a physical sense? What's a "non-physical sense" then? I mean, not an example so much as a definition.
By physical senses, I mean the standard package: sight, etc..

To explain "non-physical sense," let's assume the soul exists. I believe that if it does, the brain is its interface. It could then physically process non-physical input from the soul.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Actually there is a fourth alternative, that being:
4) God exists and is effectively indifferent to our awareness of It or, in fact, our capacity to be aware of It.​

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
By physical senses, I mean the standard package: sight, etc..

To explain "non-physical sense," let's assume the soul exists. I believe that if it does, the brain is its interface. It could then physically process non-physical input from the soul.

You are jumping to an unwarranted conclusion. To the extent that an immaterial "mind" can be said to exist, it seems most reasonable to assume that it is an effect of the physical medium that appears to control its function, i.e. the physical brain. Apparently, it cannot exist independently of its physical substrate. We certainly have no reasonable evidence that it can. Occam's Razor applies.

Copernicus

Actually there is a fourth alternative, that being:
4) God exists and is effectively indifferent to our awareness of It or, in fact, our capacity to be aware of It.​

I think that (3) adequately covers this supposition. Indifference would count as a reason for not contacting humans.

Copernicus

No, I was using an example to clarify as requested. I don't believe in souls.

But you do believe in minds, don't you? I avoided the term "soul" because of its vagueness. We all have minds, and a sensorium makes up a large part of what we mean by "mind".

Copernicus

Yes. I also reject materialism.

That is your prerogative, but you do believe in the material world, and you can see the connection between the physical brain and the mind, right? My point was that the simplest inference to draw from evidence of the mind-body connection is that the mind is dependent on the body for its existence. We have no evidence that minds can exist independently of physical brains. We do have evidence that mental functions are directly caused by brain function.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
That is your prerogative, but you do believe in the material world, and you can see the connection between the physical brain and the mind, right?
Of course.

My point was that the simplest inference to draw from evidence of the mind-body connection is that the mind is dependent on the body for its existence.
The simplest, perhaps, but not the best.

We have no evidence that minds can exist independently of physical brains. We do have evidence that mental functions are directly caused by brain function.
No, we have evidence that they correlate.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief here...
I propose a different take on the big bang idea.

The singularity that scientists are so fond of is often described as small.
I go one step further....it has no geometry at all.

For the singularity to be truly singular...there can be no other point.
Without a secondary point there can be no line drawn.
No line drawn...no axial line...no rotation...no equilateral plane.
No height ..no width ...no length.
No spinning allowed.

But wait!!!!!

As the bang takes hold....the laws of motion would be there.
As the substance of the universe expands, all of it...I do mean ALL of it.
would proceed equally in all directions.....uniformly.
All you would see in an ever expanding hollow sphere.

But wait again!!!! That's not what we see when we look up.

Go back to the beginning...participate...
As the singularity is about to expand...take it between your finger and thumb, and give it a good hard 'snap'.
As the substance takes off, the rotation you induced will cause the spirals...the orbits....and rotations.

Without the snap of God's fingers the universe would be an ever expanding hollow sphere of energy.
Without His influence there be no kind of nonlinear motion.

I wrote a similar piece under "Snap".

Also at another forum called ControversialForums.com

Last edited: