• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Experience is the premise behind all evidence. The issue is control.
Anecdotes are not evidence.
Its not even weak evidence. There is no rhyme or reason to these patterns. Now, if these were at least sort of similar, then it would warrant looking into. But then, that is not an anecdote at all...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Actually its not.
Isn't this a nice intellectually stimulating discussion?
I have no interest in stimulating your intellect no matter how advantageous that might be for you. The fact remains that religious experience is ubiquitous across widely disparate cultures. To claim that this "is not meaningful evidence of anything" is grossly and childishly ignorant, petulantly dismissing many decades of scientific inquiry.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I have no interest in stimulating your intellect no matter how advantageous that might be for you. The fact remains that religious experience is ubiquitous across widely disparate cultures. To claim that this "is not meaningful evidence of anything" is grossly and childishly ignorant, petulantly dismissing many decades of scientific inquiry.
it is plain that you know absolutely nothing pertinent about this particular field of science. That argument can be used to justify the yeti.
Furthermore, there is no pattern in the data. It is random. If there was any semblance of a pattern, then perhaps there is such evidence. But there isn't.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
it is plain that you know absolutely nothing pertinent about this particular field of science.
To what "particular field of science" are you referring?

that argument can be used to justify the yeti.
I've made no argument. You're babbling. Stop. :slap:

Furthermore, there is no pattern in the data. It is random. If there was any semblance of a pattern, then perhaps there is such evidence. But there isn't.
14293126.JPG

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
.....Furthermore, there is no pattern in the data. It is random. If there was any semblance of a pattern, then perhaps there is such evidence. But there isn't.
Greetings Yossarian. Just wanted to offer a comment on the "semblance of a pattern." There is a select group of experiences that do have common characteristics such that many of us think that one breakthrough experience is being described. I posted on this experience above in a response to Nanda.

Yerda

Veteran Member
it is plain that you know absolutely nothing pertinent about this particular field of science. That argument can be used to justify the yeti.
If I were to propose that religious experience is rooted in human evolution would the observation that religious experience is ubiquitous across widely disparate cultures as Jay put it, constitute evidence toward determining the likelihood of my proposition?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
To what "particular field of science" are you referring?
Statistical inference

I've made no argument. You're babbling. Stop. :slap:
Ugh. Do you need to nitpick everything? Surely you have enough intelligence to see what I meant.

Already read it, and it has little to do with the matter at hand, evidence for a religion.
To remind you...
There is some - admittedly very weak - evidence: the widespread reports of personal experiences with God. Now, I can see why this is unconvincing, but it is evidence. Weak, yes, but evidence nonetheless, which is more than can be said for the argument that there is no God. With that nit picked....

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
If I were to propose that religious experience is rooted in human evolution would the observation that religious experience is ubiquitous across widely disparate cultures as Jay put it, constitute evidence toward determining the likelihood of my proposition?
Yes, but that is not what I take issue with.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Hi Jaiket. Yossarian gives a 'yes' to your question so it makes me more curious. Would you mind explaining a little more of what you mean by "..rooted in human evolution.."?
a..1

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Greetings Yossarian. Just wanted to offer a comment on the "semblance of a pattern." There is a select group of experiences that do have common characteristics such that many of us think that one breakthrough experience is being described. I posted on this experience above in a response to Nanda.

Hmm, could you give me a post number? I don't want to have to search through the entire thread.

rojse

RF Addict
What do you think statistical inference falls under?

As is yours. I can only conclude that you have nothing meaningful to say at all.

Although there are many different religious experiences across a multitude of cultures, and each experience is different, doesn't the fact that each of these ties in on a more powerful entity that wants to take care of people have some significance?

Obviously, it does not prove that God exists - it could be mass hysteria, for example, or some natural phenomena that affects how the brain or senses perceive stimuli. However, to dismiss it without consideration of all possibilities, including the existence of a higher entity, is not good practice for a statistician.

Now, can we get back on topic, or can you post this up in a separate thread?