• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution My ToE

ecco

Veteran Member
Here are some verses about a 360 day year in prophesy and Genesis.

The conversation with you has been interesting. It has revealed that you believe things like...

The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the desert, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's reach
...are actually true and actually happened.

What is truly frightening is that people who actually believe those things are allowed to vote in the United States.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Now it's my turn to say, "Interesting". ;)

So to be clear, you believe that a pathogen's ability to resist an antibiotic, or an insect's ability to resist an insecticide was intentionally designed into their genomes?

I've never seen any evidence that there is a "someone" who is "deciding" that mutations will happen. Do you believe there is a "who" behind all mutations?

Of course not. But you should realize that the repair systems are limited in the types of mutations they reverse, and not all organisms have the same types of repair systems. We know for a fact that many mutations get through with each generation.

No, I've been talking about and providing material about multiple mutations since we started on this topic. Back in THIS POST I provided you THIS LINK which contains....

"Mutation Rates and Bacterial Growth
Even if only a single S. aureus cell were to make its way into your wound, it would take only 10 generations for that single cell to grow into a colony of more than 1,000 (210 = 1,024), and just 10 more generations for it to erupt into a colony of more than 1 million (220 = 1,048,576). For a bacterium that divides about every half hour (which is how quickly S. aureus can grow in optimal conditions), that is a lot of bacteria in less than 12 hours. S. aureus has about 2.8 million nucleotide base pairs in its genome. At a rate of, say, 10^-10 mutations per nucleotide base, that amounts to nearly 300 mutations in that population of bacteria within 10 hours!

To better understand the impact of this situation, think of it this way: With a genome size of 2.8 × 106 and a mutation rate of 1 mutation per 10^10 base pairs, it would take a single bacterium 30 hours to grow into a population in which every single base pair in the genome will have mutated not once, but 30 times! Thus, any individual mutation that could theoretically occur in the bacteria will have occurred somewhere in that population—in just over a day."​

In a LATER POST I even copied that portion and highlighted the last part.

What exactly is your understanding of mutation rates? How often do you think they occur?

It's possible.

Right. So I'm not sure what the issue here is. Do you disagree with the estimates of mutation rates that geneticists have generated? If so, on what basis?
Seems I am not being allowed to make my point, so maybe you don't want to understand it? What more can I say.

dad

Undefeated
Well, you weren't talking about "spiritual beings" were you.

Perhaps I was just giving you a lesson: In the English language words can have different meanings. That's something that I learned in public schools in the first grade. Your educational process was obviously different.

Another lesson that you may have now learned is that in some cases it is important to be precise. What you should have said is that there is a difference between spiritual beings and alcohol.

Why Is Liquor Called 'Spirits'?
The Oxford Dictionary defines spirit as a “strong distilled liquor such as brandy, whiskey, gin, or rum.” Merriam-Webster gets more specific by defining a spirit as “the liquid containing ethyl alcohol and water that is distilled from an alcoholic liquid or mash — often used in plural.”
But you are right about one thing, I do not believe in Spiritual Beings in the sense that the Holy Ghost is a Spiritual Being. Why would I? Why would any rational being?

You need the Holy Ghost Spiritual Being because you need an entity to rape and impregnate a young virgin. To me, that is reprehensible.
Why pretend you misunderstood the question?

dad

Undefeated
The conversation with you has been interesting. It has revealed that you believe things like...

The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the desert, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's reach
...are actually true and actually happened..
Google prophesy. That is future, not past.

nPeace

Veteran Member
No kidding. So if that relates to the theory of evolution, such genetic realities also need to be true for the ancient earth. Since there is no dna that is usable from that time, how do you know it was the same as now?
How do you know there was no DNA on the ancient earth? Are you referring to before any life existed on it?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Seems I am not being allowed to make my point
I'm having trouble understanding how that can be, since I asked several questions specifically designed (lol ;)) to help me understand your point/position.

So to be clear, you believe that a pathogen's ability to resist an antibiotic, or an insect's ability to resist an insecticide was intentionally designed into their genomes?

Do you believe there is a "who" behind all mutations?

What exactly is your understanding of mutation rates? How often do you think they occur?

I'm not sure what the issue here is. Do you disagree with the estimates of mutation rates that geneticists have generated? If so, on what basis?

so maybe you don't want to understand it? What more can I say.
Every one of those questions above is an attempt by me to understand your position. If they're wildly off-topic, please let me know.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm having trouble understanding how that can be, since I asked several questions specifically designed (lol ;)) to help me understand your point/position.

Do you believe there is a "who" behind all mutations?

I'm not sure what the issue here is. Do you disagree with the estimates of mutation rates that geneticists have generated? If so, on what basis?

Every one of those questions above is an attempt by me to understand your position. If they're wildly off-topic, please let me know.
When you were giving me your scenario, you asked that I not interrupt, to bring in things you don't get to yet, or were not considering. I allowed you to plot your course, without interrupting.
Am I being unfair in asking the same from you?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
When you were giving me your scenario, you asked that I not interrupt, to bring in things you don't get to yet, or were not considering. I allowed you to plot your course, without interrupting.
Am I being unfair in asking the same from you?
Of course it's not unfair for you to ask to be able to "plot your course". So please proceed and present your scenario. :)

dad

Undefeated
How do you know there was no DNA on the ancient earth? Are you referring to before any life existed on it?

I don't know. I assume there was genetics of some sort. How genes and DNA work depend on nature. In Genesis (also some ancient history) men lived far far longer than they do today. So I allow for the possibility that perhaps the different laws of nature resulted in DNA behaving somewhat differently.

I estimate that the flood was possibly somewhere around the time of the KT layer. So, the simple question arises, do we have good usable DNA from before that time..or not? I think the answer is no. Therefore how can we know what genetics used to be like? That means that if people are using DNA today to try to tell us about the far past, that they are basically engaged in belief based speculation, that has no basis in fact.

ecco

Veteran Member
Well, you weren't talking about "spiritual beings" were you.

Perhaps I was just giving you a lesson: In the English language words can have different meanings. That's something that I learned in public schools in the first grade. Your educational process was obviously different.

Another lesson that you may have now learned is that in some cases it is important to be precise. What you should have said is that there is a difference between spiritual beings and alcohol.

Why Is Liquor Called 'Spirits'?
The Oxford Dictionary defines spirit as a “strong distilled liquor such as brandy, whiskey, gin, or rum.” Merriam-Webster gets more specific by defining a spirit as “the liquid containing ethyl alcohol and water that is distilled from an alcoholic liquid or mash — often used in plural.”
But you are right about one thing, I do not believe in Spiritual Beings in the sense that the Holy Ghost is a Spiritual Being. Why would I? Why would any rational being?

You need the Holy Ghost Spiritual Being because you need an entity to rape and impregnate a young virgin. To me, that is reprehensible.
Why pretend you misunderstood the question?

Are you serious?!?

Of course, I knew what you were referring to when you asked if I believed in spirits. Your Holy Ghost and company.

What's sad is that you didn't even realize that I was pulling your leg with my response about alcoholic spirits. I guess, among other things, Christian Fundamentalists lack a sense of humor.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
Here are some verses about a 360 day year in prophesy and Genesis.

The 360-Day Prophetic Year

Google prophesy. That is future, not past.

Why tell me that?

YOU are the one who linked to "The 360-Day Prophetic Year". In YOUR link was the story:
The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the desert, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's reach.​

Here again, YOU seem to be having a hard time keeping track of the thread and remembering what YOU post.

Are you now going to deny that you believe:
The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the desert, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's reach.​

ecco

Veteran Member
Time, as I have repeatedly tried to explain to you, is a measurement. It is something created by humans. What question with time arises "in deep space"? What don't we know about "what it is like there"?

No more than gravity was created by you. Both are real. Tick tock.

Once again, your response is incomprehensible. That seems to be happening more and more with each passing day. Sometimes you cannot remember what you posted, sometimes you lose track of the thread.

In any case, how does that affect your silly stories about God tricking Adam and Eve and God killing almost all humans and animals? Does it mean it rained for 80 days and eighty nights because forty days was not enough to completely flood the earth?
Care to attempt a response?

ecco

Veteran Member
Are you referring to the failed prophecies of the Bible? Before you bring up any prophecies we need a standard for prophecies. Otherwise all religions will be able to claim that they are "proved" by prophesy.
Certainly, Bahai is "proved by prophecy" (if one believes the Bahai's posting in RF).