• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EVOLUTION, what a lie.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
No, actually. Facts and theories address two different issues, a theory often explains the observed fact. So, a theory can actually be a fact, and in this case it's so. Change over time is a fact, and thats all evolution is about. I've noticed theory being thrown around on this site a lot. Theory is the highest scientific achievement. Gravity is a theory, but no one doubts gravity, gravity is an observed fact, but also a theory.

theory is learning about something even though it may not be possible to do.

fact is doing something possible then making the theory to adress those who werent present.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

fact is doing something possible then making the theory to adress those who werent present.

I'm not sure what that means, but a scientific theory is a way of explaining facts. Those theories are as factual as the fact that you are human.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I'm not sure what that means, but a scientific theory is a way of explaining facts. Those theories are as factual as the fact that you are human.

saying that humans can travell at 100 km an hour on foot is a theory that is impossible.

saying that humans can travell at 100km on a car after actually seeing it is a fact that is later turned into theory.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
saying that humans can travell at 100 km an hour on foot is a theory that is impossible.

That's why it's not a scientific theory. That's why we're making the distinction between a scientific theory and a regular old theory like "My theory is that most Americans are white".

saying that humans can travell at 100km on a car after actually seeing it is a fact that is later turned into theory.

I'm not really sure how this is relevant. A theory is based on many facts and pieces of evidence. A scientific theory is not "A human can travel 100 KM/hour in a car". That's a fact.

Tristesse

When scientists use the word theory, it has a different meaning to normal everyday use. In science, a theory is not a guess, not a hunch. It's a well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our observations. The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection is our best explanation for the fact of evolution. Fact and theory aren't mutually exclusive.

Tristesse

Yeah, thats not a scientific theory. Thats a hypothesis you just made up. I'm sorry, but it sounds like you have no understanding of what a scientific theory actually is.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
evolution is a theory, the difference between 'theory' and 'fact' are like a mountain and a cave.

It's sad how poorly some people are educated about science. Yet they feel qualified to dispute it. So that you don't embarrass yourself like this in future, I suggest you learn what a scientific theory is. Hint: Gravity is a theory. So are germs. For that matter, so is a spherical earth. Science is built on theories. Evolution is one of the best established theories in the history of science.

So, did you want to learn about the evidence, or not?

Tristesse

It's sad how poorly some people are educated about science. Yet they feel qualified to dispute it. So that you don't embarrass yourself like this in future, I suggest you learn what a scientific theory is. Hint: Gravity is a theory. So are germs. For that matter, so is a spherical earth. Science is built on theories. Evolution is one of the best established theories in the history of science.

I gave him a definition of a scientific theory, hopefully he has a better understanding.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

I'm sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say here.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
No, in the scientific sense this is not a theory. It's a false statement. Here, this might help.

A scientific theory would explain how the internal combustion system that makes this possible works.

Under your standards, we wouldn't have any science. Once again we see that all creationism is fundamentally anti-science.

cartoon2.gif

Tristesse

No, in the scientific sense this is not a theory. It's a false statement. Here, this might help.
saying that humans can travell at 100km on a car after actually seeing it is a fact that is later turned into theory.[/quote] A scientific theory would explain how the internal combustion system that makes this possible works.

Under your standards, we wouldn't have any science. Once again we see that all creationism is fundamentally anti-science.

moz-screenshot-6.jpg
cartoon2.gif
[/QUOTE]

I feel bad, we're picking on him too much. When in reality, most people don't have an understanding of a scientific theory. It's sad actually.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I feel bad, we're picking on him too much. When in reality, most people don't have an understanding of a scientific theory. It's sad actually.

He brings it on himself, Tristesse - intentionally so.

He (and other creationists) do this for fun. He has already told us that he has no intention of listening to reason, or considering evidence.

He is not listening to Autodidact and Sugriva, nor does he have any will to do so. He knowingly wraps himself in superstition and ignorance.

In my opinion, we would do best to let him be.

Better that we save our energy for the next person that comes in the front door, that honestly wants to learn and understand.

Tristesse

He brings it on himself, Tristesse - intentionally so.

He (and other creationists) do this for fun. He has already told us that he has no intention of listening to reason, or considering evidence.

He is not listening to Autodidact and Sugriva, nor does he have any will to do so. He knowingly wraps himself in superstition and ignorance.

In my opinion, we would do best to let him be.

Better that we save our energy for the next person that comes in the front door, that honestly wants to learn and understand.

oh I didn't know that. I'm new here. I thought he was just some misinformed individual, but if he does this on purpose, than screw him. He deserves the scrutiny.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Yes, Tristesse, it's rough to put your opinion out there and then have 5 people explain how wrong you are. It's a good idea to gently educate people and help them eradicate their own ignorance, if possible. However, I would like to point out that esalem starts from an unfortunate position of ignorance, which puts him at a disadvantage. The smart thing for him to do is to admit this and use this as an opportunity to learn about the subject. That's what I'm offering to do--to teach him. Instead, he ignored the information presented and put his ignorance on display as a confident assertion.

Tristesse

Yes, Tristesse, it's rough to put your opinion out there and then have 5 people explain how wrong you are. It's a good idea to gently educate people and help them eradicate their own ignorance, if possible. However, I would like to point out that esalem starts from an unfortunate position of ignorance, which puts him at a disadvantage. The smart thing for him to do is to admit this and use this as an opportunity to learn about the subject. That's what I'm offering to do--to teach him. Instead, he ignored the information presented and put his ignorance on display as a confident assertion.

I know, it's amazing how people who have a fundamental misunderstanding of science, feel that they are the best at critiquing it. I'm new here, so, I don't know the people on here, so, I thought perhaps he was just misinformed and actually wanted to learn how science works, but if thats not the case, than I don't feel bad at all.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I know, it's amazing how people who have a fundamental misunderstanding of science, feel that they are the best at critiquing it. I'm new here, so, I don't know the people on here, so, I thought perhaps he was just misinformed and actually wanted to learn how science works, but if thats not the case, than I don't feel bad at all.

Just so, Tris. Most of us here have gone through a learning curve, wherein we try (as Auto and Sugriva have done) to help educate people. Sometimes it works, and a person learns quite a bit about the scientific method, and the evidence that supports many of it's positions.

Sadly, we often have to deal with the likes of eselam. People that have absolutely no intention of learning anything, but will still attempt to pass themselves off as looking for knowledge.

It just takes a little time to learn how to differentiate between the two.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

well i did say i want to.

can i ask a question first, what part does chance have in life being formed, or in evolution. this part is the one i have a problem with most.