• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experiencing God

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, you basically just told everyone that the woman I'm sitting here eating my dinner with might not be my wife, and these kids I keep feeding everyday, that are sleeping in my home might not be my kids.
No, I didn't.

Did you actually read my post?

Really dude? Really?
No, not really.

You seem to be arguing against some fantasy argument you've inagined... which, ironically, may point to a problem with distinguishing fantasy from reality that may be relevant to the topic of this thread.

Sonofason

No, I didn't.

Did you actually read my post?

No, not really.

You seem to be arguing against some fantasy argument you've inagined... which, ironically, may point to a problem with distinguishing fantasy from reality that may be relevant to the topic of this thread.
You're right, my comment was far to witty for you to have comprehended. I'll try to keep my humor more simple for you in the future.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're right, my comment was far to witty for you to have comprehended. I'll try to keep my humor more simple for you in the future.
Humour on the internet is a tricky thing, especially on RF. No matter how strange the position you're arguing as a joke, we've had people here argue stranger things sincerely.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that you weren't being serious with your last post.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, but that depends on who you ask. Or where you ask. If you ask people in Alabama you will have different answers than the ones you get if you ask in Jemen.

What reasons do you think there are that explain why experiences of the different versions of God are so unequally distributed geographically?

Ciao

- viole

I believe all evidence msut be considered so I don't believe excluding a people is a good idea.

I wouldn't guarantee that since I believe God can speak to whom He wishes. David was a shepherd and so was Moses at the time. Daniel was a government official. Was Mohammed a shop keeper or merchant? I forget. Moses was in the wilderness of Sinai, Daniel in Babylon, Mohammed in Medina.

I don't believe I have any data on that. Do you?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Eyewitness evidence is notoriously unreliable, even to the eyewitnesses themselves. Thoughtful witnesses realise this.
I beleive witnesses vary. The Gospels provide three witnesses and a reporter taking witness reports and all four are different but I think John sees things more clearly than any of the other witnesses.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It may be 100% accurate, or made up, either way it means less 2nd hand, the evidence is more valuable to the witness.. it's personal was the point.

I believe the more witnesses there are the more likely the witness is accurate. The Bible says we have a cloud of witnesses around us and I am sure that is the case,

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I beleive witnesses vary. The Gospels provide three witnesses and a reporter taking witness reports and all four are different but I think John sees things more clearly than any of the other witnesses.
Why would you consider the last gospel to be written to be the most accurate? Usually, eyewitness reliability decreases over time.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Wow, wow, hold on now. I haven't heard anyone describe their experiences of God. I have not heard a Muslim's version of his experience of God. I'm not sure I've heard any detailed experiences of God from anyone so far. So how is it that you are now saying that Muslims and Christians experience different versions of God? Please cite the experiences that you are comparing here.

Well, don't know many muslims. Just a couple from India. And they both experienced Allah, allegedely, and that was the trigger for their conversions. Of course, they also come from muslim families. If you google around you will read about more.

As concerns Christians, I know a lot who thinks they have a personal relationship with God. Now, how can you have a personal relationship with someone you do not experience?

Now, how do I know that they experience different Gods and not the same? Well, one says that He had a son and the other doesn't. And I am sure that the same deity cannot get confused about His own family.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe all evidence msut be considered so I don't believe excluding a people is a good idea.

I wouldn't guarantee that since I believe God can speak to whom He wishes. David was a shepherd and so was Moses at the time. Daniel was a government official. Was Mohammed a shop keeper or merchant? I forget. Moses was in the wilderness of Sinai, Daniel in Babylon, Mohammed in Medina.

I don't believe I have any data on that. Do you?

I think the evidence is pretty clear.

If you come from a Christian family and you have religious tendencies, then it is overwhelmingly more probable that Jesus speaks to you and not Allah.

The contrary if you grow up in a muslim family.

Why is that? Does God check what our families believe before talking to us? Why am I so good in guessing the religion of someone parents and neighbors when I know his own religion. Am i psychic?

Or is there a simpler explanation?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
You obviously have adopted a deficient and over-manipulated concept of what an atheist is. An atheist is and is nothing other than a person who believes that no god exists. If he doesn't know whether or not a God exists, he's an agnostic.

Actually, you're the one with the misguided position. You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

mystic64

nolonger active
Actually, you're the one with the misguided position. You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Well, I suppose that if a theist's beliefs can be based on faith, then an atheist's beliefs can also be based on faith. And, evidence in science and the experiencing of God are really not necessary for any belief that is based on faith.

Sonofason

Humour on the internet is a tricky thing, especially on RF. No matter how strange the position you're arguing as a joke, we've had people here argue stranger things sincerely.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that you weren't being serious with your last post.

Well, let me see if I can clear this up for you. But I'm going to have to go back a little to try to make sense of it for you. For certain, I did not mean to imply that I thought that you had literally "told everyone that the woman I'm sitting here eating my dinner with might not be my wife, and these kids I keep feeding everyday, that are sleeping in my home might not be my kids." You didn't. Let's review,

Muffled had said,
So the question becomes: what do you do with someone who experiences God? The closed mind just discounts it but an open mind will investigate.

I'll just give you my thoughts with regard to this statement by Muffled. So, a person hears that someone claims to have experiences of God. Muffled suggest that those who hear such claims fall into two categories; there are those who have open minds who will investigate the matter, and there are those who have closed minds and just discount the matter. I personally believe there is an entire spectrum of people between these two extremes, but that, with regard to our present conversation is somewhat irrelevant. But it is nevertheless the comment that resulted in the following disingenuous response from you.

9-10ths_Penguin response to Muffled:
The question is moot until you can produce someone who "experiences God" (as opposed to someone who merely experiences things that he assumes come from God).

Well this made me laugh. I am inclined to think that your comment here is quite disingenuous. It's nothing less than a diversion, and a feeble attempt to remove yourself from the category of closed minded individuals that Muffled left you in. The question you were asked is "what do you do with someone who experiences God?". I have to admit, you answered the question well, and I'll have to discredit Muffled for not being more clear. However, it is clear to me, as I am sure it is to you, that Muffled intended to be referring to those who claim to experience God. Nevertheless he said what he said, and he got the response he deserved for not being sufficiently clear. And that is the dishonesty on your part, so far, because you know quite well that he was referring to those who claim to experience God.

I can tell you things I have done in my life, or tell you of particular experiences that I have had. If those experiences that I claim to have had grab your attention, perhaps because they seem unbelievable to you, or perhaps because it is an experience you might like to have for yourself, you can investigate the matter. I could claim to have brushed my teeth this morning. If you should find that claim to be reasonable, you might not question it. Perhaps you know people who brush their teeth. Perhaps you already know that it is quite possible to do so. Perhaps, you've already done it yourself. In such a case there would be no reason for you to investigate the matter any further, unless there was something about my claim that wasn't making any sense to you. Perhaps you see last nights appetizers stuck between my teeth.

What you are purposefully neglecting here is that we are dealing not with physically tangible things. It's not like anyone's gonna pull God out of their back pocket to give you a closer look. God is Spirit. If you've never brushed your teeth, and if you have never heard of such a thing, and if I should tell you that I have experienced brushing my teeth and that it was a most refreshing experience, you might have a closed mind and completely discount my claim; or you might instead be more open minded and investigate my claim. Now a tooth brush can be considered to be quite tangible. While of course I might not have the time and the desire to show you mine, you might be able to find one somewhere. You can actually make one if you like, but you'll have to know what one looks like, right? I mean, you're going to need some sort of instructions as well, right? I mean, if you're going to experience brushing your teeth for yourself, you're going to have to actually brush your teeth. I suppose, if you can find someone brushing their teeth, you can witness them brushing their teeth; and of course, observing someone brushing their teeth should certainly give you a greater understanding of what it looks like to see someone brushing their teeth, assuming that person you're watching is brushing his teeth properly. Perhaps you have already seen someone brush their teeth at some point in your life, but seeing someone brushing their teeth is not brushing your teeth.

But surely, I'm getting distracted. In your dishonesty, you forced Muffled into a corner. He was speaking of those who claim to experience God, and you are forcing him to exclude those who assume their experiences are of God. Well my friend, you have just excluded yourself from hearing every single claim of every single person that has ever had an experience of God - how convenient for you. You see, when I am sitting at the dining room table eating my evening meal, I assume that the woman sitting across from me is my wife, and that the children there with us are actually our own children. I have no idea if some impostors have taken their places. I assume that no such thing has taken place. You see, this is what you're doing, you're making a mockery of people's experiences, and in the present case, it is a mockery of something that is most dear to those who actually do experience God.

Nevertheless, Muffled's response to you was:
I believe I do experience God and I do not simply assume that I do. I experience the air I breathe and that comes from God but it is not an experience of God.
Lets use an anlogy. If I experience Doug itis sometimes through what Doug says. What Doug says is an expression of himself. It is also true of God. What God says is an expression of Himself. However there is a difference between hearing Doug say his word and reading a note from Doug. Hearing him say His word is a direct experience while reading a note is an indirect experience.

And here was your response to Muffled.

9-10ths_Penguin response to Muffled:
But in either case, we can ask how you know the message is from Doug. Was it actually Doug, or was it a "Doug impersonator"? Did you make a bad assumption about someone who only looked like Doug? Did you assume that the note was from Doug only because it seemed like something he would say?

Even in the case of a simple interaction with Doug, there's still the possibility that you might be mistaken or deceived. This is why when it really matters, we don't assume that you really did talk to Doug: if you go to the bank saying that Doug told you to withdraw $1000 from his account, the teller won't give you the cash.

And to this I responded.

Sonofason said:
Well, you basically just told everyone that the woman I'm sitting here eating my dinner with might not be my wife, and these kids I keep feeding everyday, that are sleeping in my home might not be my kids.

Here it should be noted, I think, that Muffled was simply trying to draw a distinction between two types of evidence, which he clearly denoted as direct and indirect evidence. And what you have done is discounted all the evidence, and the reason being that those who experience God assume that their experiences of God are real experiences of God.

Earlier you were talking about the assumptions of those who believe that they have experienced God, and that those experiences can be discounted if the person claiming the experience assumes the experience to be real. And now you're talking about what you yourself are not willing to assume.

The point. My claim of my experience of God is evidence of God. Every single real person who has ever been aware of having any kind of real experience assumes that his experience was a real experience. You don't get to discount as evidence anyone's experience simply on the basis that they assume their experiences were real. That is absurd.

You had said the question was moot until Muffled produced someone who experiences God. Well, he presented himself to you as one who experiences God, and you dismissed him because he actually believes that his experience of God is real. This is completely rude and absurd.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's unreasonable to just say "I experienced God" and expect it to be accepted uncritically.

That phrase can mean a wide spectrum of things. Mormons talk about "burning in the bosom" as a sign of God; is that what you mean by "experience of God"? If so, I think I'm entirely justified not giving your "experience of God" any weight whatsoever.

You talk about dishonesty? Consider your own intellectually dishonest approach: describing your experiences as "experiences of God" from the outset is begging the question. You're presupposing the conclusion of your argument.

You haven't even established that a god exists; until you do, it's unreasonable to call an experience "an experience of God". Until then, it's just an experience, full stop, and the source of that experience is an open question.

mystic64

nolonger active
It's unreasonable to just say "I experienced God" and expect it to be accepted uncritically.

That phrase can mean a wide spectrum of things. Mormons talk about "burning in the bosom" as a sign of God; is that what you mean by "experience of God"? If so, I think I'm entirely justified not giving your "experience of God" any weight whatsoever.

You talk about dishonesty? Consider your own intellectually dishonest approach: describing your experiences as "experiences of God" from the outset is begging the question. You're presupposing the conclusion of your argument.

You haven't even established that a god exists; until you do, it's unreasonable to call an experience "an experience of God". Until then, it's just an experience, full stop, and the source of that experience is an open question.

Penguin :) , your argument is where everything has to start. After all we know that one can take LSD and experience God as well as some other drugs.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Really dude? Really?

What if I told you that I am a friend to Michael Jordan ?
I haven't ever talked to him in person though, if you know what I mean. Only through the phone. And I haven't ever heard his voice beforehand ( not even on the TV ). One night he called me and spoke to me, and ever since we have been talking every once in a while.
But it is Michael Jordan. He tells me so when we talk, and I am absolutely certain I am talking to Michael Jordan, because I experience it so.

Also, I will take offense if you say that my belief, MY CERTAINTY, is unfounded. Just so you know.

Sonofason

Well, the dictionary confirms my position.

atheism- "a disbelief in the existence of deity"
or in other words "the doctrine that there is no deity"
Atheism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

These are not two different definitions for the same word. It is redundancy for the purpose of clarity.
If you don't quite understand what it is to disbelieve in the existence of a deity, for clarity, it means to hold to the doctrine that there is no deity.

agnostic - a person who does not have a definite belief about whether God exists or not.

Now clearly, since the atheist cannot prove that there is no God, and since atheism is the doctrine that there is no deity, true atheism requires a great deal of either faith, or deception.

So let me ask you, so we can see just how to categorize you. Does God exist?

Sonofason

What if I told you that I am a friend to Michael Jordan ?
I haven't ever talked to him in person though, if you know what I mean. Only through the phone. And I haven't ever heard his voice beforehand ( not even on the TV ). One night he called me and spoke to me, and ever since we have been talking every once in a while.
But it is Michael Jordan. He tells me so when we talk, and I am absolutely certain I am talking to Michael Jordan, because I experience it so.

Also, I will take offense if you say that my belief, MY CERTAINTY, is unfounded. Just so you know.
I will tell you that you are either telling the truth, or you are a liar.

So you tell me which it is, and I will believe you.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I will tell you that you are either telling the truth, or you are a liar.

So you tell me which it is, and I will believe you.

If I were a liar, I would lie now. Which means my answer would be the same regardless of whether I am a liar or speaking the truth.

So...
Of course it is the truth!

Unless I am deluded, obviously. But I would seriously take offense if you thought so.