• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this logically christians....

Blackheart

who invented religion?

So you have no answer? Are you just spouting things for the sake of it? Infact theres no need to answer. But know this, you will learn nothing by saying things that are completely unfounded. It simply allows us to learn about you.

As for who invented religion... I think you did. I know this becuase you are aware of what came before.

waitasec

Veteran Member
So you have no answer? Are you just spouting things for the sake of it? Infact theres no need to answer. But know this, you will learn nothing by saying things that are completely unfounded. It simply allows us to learn about you.

As for who invented religion... I think you did. I know this becuase you are aware of what came before.

my answer is man made religion....but you know this...there is no need to answer....you asked an interesting question deserving an interesting reply...

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Like waitasec said.
Men invented religion.

Blackheart

Like waitasec said.
Men invented religion.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

The answer is: Men invented religion.

:areyoucra:areyoucra:areyoucra:areyoucra:areyoucra:areyoucra:areyoucra:areyoucra

waitasec

Veteran Member

how do you know what i know? prey tell...

isn't that an assumption?

Blackheart

how do you know what i know? prey tell...

isn't that an assumption?

Because you agreed that the principles were around before religion. I aksed how you knew this and im still waiting for an answer so I have decided to assume that it must be because you were there. So your right its purely an assumption.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Because you agreed that the principles were around before religion. I aksed how you knew this and im still waiting for an answer so I have decided to assume that it must be because you were there. So your right its purely an assumption.
These principles date to at least 2000 years before Christ, because there are stable cultures from this time. I'm not entirely sure that that predates religion, but it certainly predates Christianity, and most likely Judaism.

waitasec

Veteran Member

what came first, religion or man?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I am speaking in an informal manner.
To be more accurate then: It is plausible to say that human principles, in general, precede religion, because humans created religion based on their already existing principles. Even if new principles were added over time, they still had to be human principles before being religious principles.

strikeviperMKII

You did when you specified this definition.

You did when you specified this definition.(#2)

You did when you specified this definition.(#3)

Nope. You did all of the above.

:facepalm:

I asked you a question: how do you define evil? You gave me a very cloudy definition of evil that has nothing to do with the dictionary definition. So i presented to you the dictionary definition, and you said which descriptions of evil would apply to a given case where a person does not help an old person to cross the street. And then i refuted every single of them because they do not fit the situation in any possible way.

I'm glad you think so highly of your wisdom. You did nothing wrong, it's all my fault. Apparently I don't get anything right.

So, how exactly can someone be evil when not helping an old person to cross the street? And please do relate your answer to some of the dictionary definitions. You are free to bring any other reference for definition of evil. Also if you want to create a new definition for evil then make sure to make a very detailed description with examples.

So you want me to give you an answer that fits neatly into your little box? Sorry, life doesn't work that way. You may want it to, but it doesn't.
I'm not creating a new definition at all. You are trying to force the definition to be what you want it to be. Good luck with that.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
strikeviperMKII said:
Nope. You did all of the above

I asked you to use one of the definitions and you did. Can't you understand this?

strikeviperMKII said:
I'm glad you think so highly of your wisdom. You did nothing wrong, it's all my fault. Apparently I don't get anything right.

Yes. However, you just got this one right then. ;)

strikeviperMKII said:
So you want me to give you an answer that fits neatly into your little box? Sorry, life doesn't work that way. You may want it to, but it doesn't.
I'm not creating a new definition at all. You are trying to force the definition to be what you want it to be. Good luck with that.

The definition of the dictionary is the one i abide by. If you use a different definition then you have to explain it to me in details. This is the way a debate works. I have already done my part explaining how i understand evil. If you don't want to explain your side then please refrain from posting because we won't get anywhere.

waitasec

Veteran Member
strikeviper and koldo,
if an old person was crossing the street and you KNEW a fatal accident was about to happen and you had the ability to save them and didn't, is that considered evil?

Blackheart

I am speaking in an informal manner.
To be more accurate then: It is plausible to say that human principles, in general, precede religion, because humans created religion based on their already existing principles. Even if new principles were added over time, they still had to be human principles before being religious principles.

Finally I get some kind of answer to the question!

However I dont think its safe to simply assume that the principles must have come first because it could be that the first set of principles could be thought of as a religion. PLus we simply dont know which came first in a dog eat dog world.It could be that it was the religious leaders that were firstly organised enough to see that not having a set rules amongst a tribe that needed to rely on each other for survival was simply counter productive. At the end of the day it is impossible to say when religion first began becuase it is a different question from when man first walked the earth even.

strikeviperMKII

I asked you to use one of the definitions and you did. Can't you understand this?

Obviously not.

Yes. However, you just got this one right then. ;)

My sarcasm was not so apparent, I guess.

The definition of the dictionary is the one i abide by.

I very much doubt that. You use it now to hide behind it, so you can refute what I say as not being what the dictionary says...and because the dictionary knows everything, it must be right.

If you use a different definition then you have to explain it to me in details. This is the way a debate works. I have already done my part explaining how i understand evil. If you don't want to explain your side then please refrain from posting because we won't get anywhere.

I did not use a different definition. I expanded the definition,and explained how I have done so. But you apparently think that is illegal or something.

waitasec

Veteran Member

However I dont think its safe to simply assume...
koldo said it was plausible...

..that the principles must have come first because it could be that the first set of principles could be thought of as a religion.
edit:
thought of by whom, men?

PLus we simply dont know which came first in a dog eat dog world.It could be that it was the religious leaders that were firstly organised enough to see that not having a set rules amongst a tribe that needed to rely on each other for survival was simply counter productive.

an innate sense with social animals...

At the end of the day it is impossible to say when religion first began becuase it is a different question from when man first walked the earth even.

you mean when homo sapiens first walked this earth?

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
waitasec said:
strikeviper and koldo,
if an old person was crossing the street and you KNEW a fatal accident was about to happen and you had the ability to save them and didn't, is that considered evil?

Now, that is a more complicated question.
I suppose it depends on what reason i had for not helping the person.
If i wanted the person to die/get injured, then it is evil.
If i was afraid to get killed/injured while trying to save the person then it is not evil.

Blackheart said:

However I dont think its safe to simply assume that the principles must have come first because it could be that the first set of principles could be thought of as a religion. PLus we simply dont know which came first in a dog eat dog world.It could be that it was the religious leaders that were firstly organised enough to see that not having a set rules amongst a tribe that needed to rely on each other for survival was simply counter productive. At the end of the day it is impossible to say when religion first began becuase it is a different question from when man first walked the earth even.

However you ignore the fact that the religious leaders are humans. So it had to be an human principle to them at first. Also, for humans to live in group they need to follow at least some rough principles. It is very likely we just refined them along the time.

strikeviperMKII said:
I very much doubt that. You use it now to hide behind it, so you can refute what I say as not being what the dictionary says...and because the dictionary knows everything, it must be right.

What?! I have already said i accept new definitions. I want them detailed, that is all.

strikeviperMKII said:
I did not use a different definition. I expanded the definition,and explained how I have done so. But you apparently think that is illegal or something.

What a way to expand a definition! I ask you to define evil and you forget to point out the basics.

You gave a poor explanation, so i asked you to check the dictionary definition and see if any of those fit. You accepted many definitions for a specific case and i have refuted them all. What you have to do is to give me a detailed explanation of what you understand as being evil. But so far you are just all talk.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Now, that is a more complicated question.
I suppose it depends on what reason i had for not helping the person.
If i wanted the person to die/get injured, then it is evil.
If i was afraid to get killed/injured while trying to save the person then it is not evil.

intent makes all the difference...

now, we know china is one big sweat shop...
is it evil to buy products made from china?