• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this logically christians....

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I did not limit it to injury inflicted on the old person.

You did when you specified this definition.

Again, I did not limit it to anger towards the old person.

You did when you specified this definition.(#2)

If that is the way you feel. Of course, I did not limit it to just this event. You did that.

You did when you specified this definition.(#3)

It may well be the symptom of another cause. Life is not events that are independent of each other. Why do you treat it like it is?

:facepalm:

I asked you a question: how do you define evil? You gave me a very cloudy definition of evil that has nothing to do with the dictionary definition. So i presented to you the dictionary definition, and you said which descriptions of evil would apply to a given case where a person does not help an old person to cross the street. And then i refuted every single of them because they do not fit the situation in any possible way.

So, how exactly can someone be evil when not helping an old person to cross the street? And please do relate your answer to some of the dictionary definitions. You are free to bring any other reference for definition of evil. Also if you want to create a new definition for evil then make sure to make a very detailed description with examples.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh, brother. Talk about ridiculous and splitting hairs. Now the big argument presented to me is that I should say "Christian set of principles" rather than "Christian principles" and the assertion is made that all humans hold to the same ethical principles.

Just have to point out that's the case - why do we have jails, judges, and a department of defense?

This thread is past it's expiration date, and I'm throwing in away.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Oh, brother. Talk about ridiculous and splitting hairs. Now the big argument presented to me is that I should say "Christian set of principles" rather than "Christian principles" and the assertion is made that all humans hold to the same ethical principles.

Just have to point out that's the case - why do we have jails, judges, and a department of defense?

This thread is past it's expiration date, and I'm throwing in away.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

You don't need to say "Christian set of principles". I was just clarifying that when you say "Christian principles" you mean "Christian set of principles". That is it. Don't you agree?

Last edited:

Kathryn

splitting-hairs.jpg

Next you'll be telling me that rather than saying "I'm going to go put my shoes on," I need to say, "I'm going to go put my pair of shoes on."

Kathryn

No - no - i am done with this thread. It's beyond ridiculous and i am wasting my time.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
splitting-hairs.jpg

Next you'll be telling me that rather than saying "I'm going to go put my shoes on," I need to say, "I'm going to go put my pair of shoes on."

Did you really read what i have written?
I said you DO NOT NEED TO say "Christian set of beliefs", but that is what YOU MEAN TO SAY. If you agreed on this it would solve the problem. Or do you not agree?

Kathryn

why can't you say non believers and believers have the same ethical principles?

Because everyone does not have the same ethical principles. If everyone had the same ethical principles then we wouldn't need a judicial system or a department of defense or a child support division or bouncers at clubs.

Kathryn

Did you really read what i have written?
I said you DO NOT NEED TO say "Christian set of beliefs", but that is what YOU MEAN TO SAY. If you agreed on this it would solve the problem. Or do you not agree?

I've already said exactly what I mean and do not see a need to rephrase it.

Kathryn

In fact, I've made myself abundantly clear, and repeated myself over and over again on this thread. I am bored, bored, bored at this point.

waitasec

Veteran Member
kathryn, it seems you do not want to admit that non religious people have the same ethical principles as you and you can't figure out why...or even interested why that is.

it seems to me that wisdom comes from life experience for us all, and you agree as you have said many many times before, however there is no evidence that you get special wisdom from god but rather the same from the common decency we all want to adhere to...

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I've already said exactly what I mean and do not see a need to rephrase it.

Really? If that is what you mean....

Kathryn said:
In fact, I've made myself abundantly clear, and repeated myself over and over again on this thread. I am bored, bored, bored at this point.

I am afraid you will get even more bored because i will keep pushing on this point.

The ten commandments , for example, are a part of your principles , however, they have been used by jews even before christians existed. Calling them exclusively christian principles is a joke.

When you said you don't need to rephrase what you said, you are saying you follow exclusive christian principles. And i am making it clear this is not the case. What you call christian principles has been brought up by non christians before christians even existed. Those are not christian principles; they are the christian set of principles. A set of principles that christians abide by.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Just to complement my previous post: Those principles were , in fact, human principles before being part of any religion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
And that you know because?

the anthropological view looking across cultures, geo-cultural areas and across millennia... conclude that certain virtues have prevailed in all cultures they examined. The major virtues they identified include wisdom / knowledge; courage; humanity; justice; temperance; and transcendence. Each of these includes several divisions. For instance humanity includes love, kindness, and social intelligence.

Morality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia