• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explaining Satanism to Christians.

Requia

I have an acquaintance whose going on about how Satanists scare him, and askign why anybody would choose to worship Satan.

Whats the best way to educate him on the subject?

Or troll him. Either one.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
None of us believe in their idea of Satan as a start. Many (LaVeyan/Church of Satan) don't believe in any actual Satan they are Atheists. So in their case all Atheist material applies, as far as the rest of us it's not so cut and dry. Church of Satan's brand of Satanism is merely Ayn Rand + Nietzsche, add panache (props, mock rituals, and Enochian titbits).

There are those of use who have a belief in Satan (theistic) and that itself takes many forms:

1) A literal belief in Satan as an entity.

2) A belief in Satan as an impersonal dark force ('Dark Agnosticism') if you will.

3) Satan as in case one to two or even combined, and possibly a belief in demons/spirits and practices involving those entities or intelligences.

Satanic belief structure is not include 'worship' in the typical sense it is much more likely that a Satanist sees them self as part of Satan (the whole, the force, and or even as a god) and recognize that part within themselves directly. The Satanists path is to become more godlike/divine themselves as well as commune with these energies and incorporate them in their daily lives. In this sense, the main difference is in the focus in that a theistic or spiritual Satanist might use practices more common to a monk for enlightenment than reading a bunch of philosophical books. The focus is on devotions, invocation, prayer, meditation, and ritual magic. There is a lot of meditation going on at the very least. Thus Satan is not seen as superior or inferior to the Satanist, though prayers or offerings are given they certainly aren't in a groveling self-disrespectful tone. It's more like a spiritual friend or partner relationship than an eternal butt-kissing operation.

Satanists who believe in some idea of Satan generally believe that you have to do your own spiritual work and reject Christianity mostly on the point of it being lazy, pointless, and too rigid more than anything. We don't hate them, but we generally feel that they have a very undesirable set of restrictions and lifestyle limitations which are seemingly arbitrary and without any real merit. Contrary to popular belief most of us are completely familiar with the texts of the bible (I have in fact studied it in English, Greek, and Hebrew), and we reject it philosophically on the fact that the concept of 'Sin' is impossible to avoid due to the demands of human nature. Nearly anything one could enjoy is black-listed in the seven deadly sins, and the ten commandments don't take any consideration of circumstance. We are happy to be human, and live within the law.

Satanism really isn't what you see on the 2am horror flicks; no sacrifices, baby-stealing or whatever lies the Christians would like to make up next. We're average folks, but are focused on liberating our hearts and minds from orthodoxy and developing our intellect and spiritual prowess to new levels. Freedom of expression, individuality, intellectual pursuits, sexual, and religious matters are very important concepts to the Satanist. It is a lot of the reason many had thought even to become one! We felt like we were lied to in a way, and as we looked further down the rabbit hole we found more lies. There is no firmer statement of intent than to take our name. Down with the drivel, lies, manipulation, and deceit!

Each of us has a different expression of Satanism so attempting to condense it any more that I have done here is really futile. We each have our ways of showing our colors, and they are all equally valid and worthwhile.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Satanism=autotheism through adversarial manifestation.

I second this.

But I would also like to add that Satanists aren't the public depicition of murderous freaks that sacrifice animals or babies or anything.

Satanism to me and many other Satanists is a life loving philosophy that revolves on the Self manifestation by means of "Satan", or the Opposition or Adversary.

It can essentially lead to other religious or philosophical views.

A good example would be, my "God" views entail Pantheism, yet my Satanic views entail Pantheism and everything I believe beyond that, since I believe that Satanism is within every Aspect of Life, because not One thing in existence goes without challenge.

Best regards and Xeper,

Orias

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Hope I'm not overstepping by coming in on this discussion, but I must agree with you. Don't educate the "friend". He that chooses to remain ignorant will not become enlightened, despite one's best efforts. It's a fool's errand to attempt to enlighten the willfully ignorant.

Orias

Left Hand Path
He that chooses to remain ignorant will not become enlightened, despite one's best efforts. It's a fool's errand to attempt to enlighten the willfully ignorant.

It's only his choice to remain ignorant on a certain conscious levels, you however, have openly considered to teach this "friend", from teaching your friend what we have offered you will teach yourself, refusal to spread word can only leave One in the depths of ignorance ;)

Orias

Left Hand Path
Maybe start with what historical oppression is.

Ah yes, but that isn't necessarily what makes Satanism what it is, it is just a good tool to use as those who preach peace with a sword.

It was rather an ingenuis tactic really, philosophers tend to get killed off if they don't know how to weild a sword properly ;)

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
It's only his choice to remain ignorant on a certain conscious levels, you however, have openly considered to teach this "friend", from teaching your friend what we have offered you will teach yourself, refusal to spread word can only leave One in the depths of ignorance ;)
Sometimes it's better that way, in my personal opinion.

Requia

Hope I'm not overstepping by coming in on this discussion, but I must agree with you. Don't educate the "friend". He that chooses to remain ignorant will not become enlightened, despite one's best efforts. It's a fool's errand to attempt to enlighten the willfully ignorant.

In that case what's the best way to troll the hell out of him? It's a bit late now admittedly, but I might as well be prepared for the future. ;)

I don't actually think he was willfully ignorant. He had just never heard of the idea of stanism as anything other than worshiping the christian concept of the devil, and was rather surprised to hear that it's not like that, but i was left without much to say when he asked what satanists do believe.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Ah yes, but that isn't necessarily what makes Satanism what it is

I only meant to infer this is a good basis for helping this person question everything they know. People tend to believe things are truth, simply because they've been said for a long time, know what I mean?

I realize that Satanism isn't merely reactionary or only shaped by historical oppression.

Cheers. Hope you find a skilful way in which to speak with your Friend.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Sometimes it's better that way, in my personal opinion.

Ah yes, but I hope this sometimes isn't whimsically based ;)

I only meant to infer this is a good basis for helping this person question everything they know. People tend to believe things are truth, simply because they've been said for a long time, know what I mean?

I realize that Satanism isn't merely reactionary or only shaped by historical oppression.

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes I give unnecessary explinations of things to people who already have an understanding of the topic and I'm sorry about that.

You bring up a good point though, best regards and Xeper,

Orias

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I know exactly what you mean, sometimes I give unnecessary explinations of things to people who already have an understanding of the topic and I'm sorry about that.

You bring up a good point though, best regards and Xeper,

Orias

No worries, you could say you were just seeing if we were on the same page :D

Cheers
SageTree

pwfaith

I don't know that I agree. We don't know that this person is willfully ignorant. There are a lot of misconceptions about almost all religions. I think there is benefit in giving a valid attempt to set the record straight. After that, if they still refuse to understand or listen, then yes, it's best to just let them be in their ignorance.

This is my understanding, as a Christian, someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't believe it is the worship of Satan (or who we believe to be Satan) himself, but more likely a following of the essence of Satan. Incorporating the ideas, attitudes and characteristics of Satan into daily life and world-views. "You need to do what you want to do because life is short and then you're going to die so live while you can but take no crap from anyone" - to me, is an example of that. It is focused on 'self' and doing what makes the individual feel good. LaVey states about celebrating holidays "The most important holiday in Satanism is one's own birthday, as the birth date of one's own god. To a Satanist, you are the most important being in the universe, and celebrating your own birthday honors your own vital existence." After self is one's family and then community (for some).

It helped me understand, perhaps it will help your friend as well. :)

Orias

Left Hand Path
I don't know that I agree. We don't know that this person is willfully ignorant. There are a lot of misconceptions about almost all religions. I think there is benefit in giving a valid attempt to set the record straight. After that, if they still refuse to understand or listen, then yes, it's best to just let them be in their ignorance.

This is my understanding, as a Christian, someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't believe it is the worship of Satan (or who we believe to be Satan) himself, but more likely a following of the essence of Satan. Incorporating the ideas, attitudes and characteristics of Satan into daily life and world-views. "You need to do what you want to do because life is short and then you're going to die so live while you can but take no crap from anyone" - to me, is an example of that. It is focused on 'self' and doing what makes the individual feel good. LaVey states about celebrating holidays "The most important holiday in Satanism is one's own birthday, as the birth date of one's own god. To a Satanist, you are the most important being in the universe, and celebrating your own birthday honors your own vital existence." After self is one's family and then community (for some).

It helped me understand, perhaps it will help your friend as well. :)

Its good to see that you have done some research.

But if you have looked into Anton LaVey's writings then you would of seen that we (those who have studied LaVey's writings) don't answer and intervene unless asked :D

pwfaith

Its good to see that you have done some research.

But if you have looked into Anton LaVey's writings then you would of seen that we (those who have studied LaVey's writings) don't answer and intervene unless asked :D

I asked to be corrected if I was wrong ;) :D Are you allowed to answer then?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I asked to be corrected if I was wrong ;) :D Are you allowed to answer then?

What you said I can easily concur with, I would even go as far to say the same thing about everything else.

These "essences" we follow are mere labels and symbols that get us off.

And I'm allowed to answer because this DIR is my home, as a Satanist, your wrong is my right :rainbow1:

Space Ghost

Extraterrestrial
I have an acquaintance whose going on about how Satanists scare him, and askign why anybody would choose to worship Satan.

Whats the best way to educate him on the subject?

Or troll him. Either one.

I first would reconfirm that he acknowledges without the Bible there is no Satanism which means Satanism is just a form of religious rebellion and he has nothing to worry about. If he believes truly what the Bible states then he/she should have no issues with "the adversary of God" "the temper of mankind". "God is more powerful" I would hope they believe if they are truly devote. I have personally ventured deep into all that related "Evil" and satanic to include Lucifer ism, Occult Magic and blaa blaa blaa. I have gathered in those 2 years (of what I refer to as non sense) to be that it's not worth being scared about. The closest I have been to a demon was my previous boss. I just quit and got away from him. Tell your friend to do the same.:)