• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face of Jesus

ProfLogic

Becky,

You never answered my image topic, now god's image upon being created... everyone is a fetus including jesus, lets say infant... does this mean your god is really an infant since every one is created in his image? Why the beard, unless they have a rare disorder I have never seen an infant with a beard, I have seen men that could not grow beards well majority of the women have no beards does this mean women are not created in gods image. I'm curious in how you would defend the beard and gods image thats in your mind?

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
Which Catholics have 'shown' you that they pray to their statues?

Yes, they have processions and adoration of the saints, but that is something completley different then 'praying to the statue' as you stated.

There's a bit of a difference.

Have you talked to any Catholics here?

Its from various groups of Catholics... If you have been to a Catholic church you would see that they have stations with statues of various saints for people to light a candle and pray to... The church even incourage you to pray to mary thus her statues....

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
MOD POST

Just because this is the 'debate' section does not give an excuse for incivility. Please keep this in mind before posting. Thanks!

End Mod Post

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Becky,

You never answered my image topic, now god's image upon being created... everyone is a fetus including jesus, lets say infant... does this mean your god is really an infant since every one is created in his image? Why the beard, unless they have a rare disorder I have never seen an infant with a beard, I have seen men that could not grow beards well majority of the women have no beards does this mean women are not created in gods image. I'm curious in how you would defend the beard and gods image thats in your mind?

I did answer, you just didn't read it -- go back to post #16.

And if you knew anything about LDS theology, you'd know most of us believe in a Heavenly Mother - the wife of God in a manner of speaking. So yes, we are created in the image of God.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Its from various groups of Catholics... If you have been to a Catholic church you would see that they have stations with statues of various saints for people to light a candle and pray to... The church even incourage you to pray to mary thus her statues....

*Sigh* I'm going to wait for a Catholic to come in here. From what I know about Catholics - what you are said is ridiculous, but we'll see what they have to say.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
I did answer, you just didn't read it -- go back to post #16.

And if you knew anything about LDS theology, you'd know most of us believe in a Heavenly Mother - the wife of God in a manner of speaking. So yes, we are created in the image of God.

Lets see, the bible from genesis says eve/representation of a women was taken from adam's rib. Now a rib does not make an image does it? Its a partial portion of adam who was claimed to be created in gods image people call a man. Now clarify this, if you please...

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Lets see, the bible from genesis says eve/representation of a women was taken from adam's rib. Now a rib does not make an image does it? Its a partial portion of adam who was claimed to be created in gods image people call a man. Now clarify this, if you please...

It's figurative.

God created Adam. Simple as that, what sort of clarifying do you need. Ask a question and I can clarify it.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
*Sigh* I'm going to wait for a Catholic to come in here. From what I know about Catholics - what you are said is ridiculous, but we'll see what they have to say.

By the way why do you need Catholics in america since the Holy Roman Empire started in Europe then went to Asia and the Americas?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
By the way why do you need Catholics in america since the Holy Roman Empire started in Europe then went to Asia and the Americas?
What?

ProfLogic, I'm not a Catholic - or haven't you figure that out yet?

What on earth are you talking about and how has this anything to do with the debate at hand? :confused:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Eh? I'm not sure I understand. Becky was saying that she was going to wait for a Catholic person to come and post here, as they were better able to address the matter than a non-Catholic.

Bishka

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
Many historians believe that many images of Jesus come from copies of pagan images of Zeus.
The Mandylion of Edessa (mentioned earlier) did not appear untill around 525 while the Shroud of Turin didn't make its first appearance untill 1353.

That could be it, from the historic point of view, but I'm still going to put forth the idea of visions and another thing that came to me.

People who knew Jesus could have told their children, who told their children. It may not have gotten completley right, but they would still have a general idea.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
beckysoup61 said:

I was a Catholic for the first 16 or so years of my life, and what he says is not inaccurate or "ridiculous", but actually not far from the truth. That was actually one of the first things to turn me off to Catholicsm, the hypocrasy. They would tell you about the Ten Commandments, then pray in front of a 20 foot crucifix that was behind the alter. As for statues, I've seen many a Catholic kiss the feet of both statues of Jesus and Mary, if thats not worship, I'm not sure what is.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
He could have been - why God be closer to a child at the beginning of creation. God is God and has always been God. It's an interesting question, but it doesn't make any difference in the long run.

Here's your post about the beard.. Well if an image of an infant that claims to be a god shows itself to humanity what would you do?

ProfLogic

spacemonkey said:
I was a Catholic for the first 16 or so years of my life, and what he says is not inaccurate or "ridiculous", but actually not far from the truth. That was actually one of the first things to turn me off to Catholicsm, the hypocrasy. They would tell you about the Ten Commandments, then pray in front of a 20 foot crucifix that was behind the alter. As for statues, I've seen many a Catholic kiss the feet of both statues of Jesus and Mary, if thats not worship, I'm not sure what is.

Don't they even have medals that are blessed from the vatican?

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
beckysoup61 said:
That could be it, from the historic point of view, but I'm still going to put forth the idea of visions and another thing that came to me.

People who knew Jesus could have told their children, who told their children. It may not have gotten completley right, but they would still have a general idea.

One of the people quoted (in hadith) of having visions of Jesus is Mohammed. In these Hadith Jesus is described as having either a red or brown complexion.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Here's your post about the beard.. Well if an image of an infant that claims to be a god shows itself to humanity what would you do?

If a picture claimed to be God, I'd probably think I was hearing things.

Bishka

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
One of the people quoted (in hadith) of having visions of Jesus is Mohammed. In these Hadith Jesus is described as having either a red or brown complexion.

For me, Jesus Christ is closer to a olive-skin Mederatraien look then white and blonde.

Bishka

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:

Maybe those Catholics misunderstand, but as I understand it the DOCTRINE of the Catholic Church is adoration not worship of the saints.

Just because people practice something doesn't make it doctrine.