• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face of Jesus

Bishka

Veteran Member
Neale said:
I believe that the long-haired, tanned portraiture of Jesus we've all come to know is not an accurate representation of the historical Jesus of Nazareth. To my knowledge, no one actually contemporarily painted him, so the figure that we've come to know is merely a generic representation of a regal, Jewish man of that era.

That's a good idea.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Just the title of this thread made me think "what are we supposed to debate?"

That Jesus had blue eyes and blonde hair, or black eyes with blonde hair, or maybe He had freckles. I can personally care less.

I was glad to find out that I was wrong and this is about one of those lockness monster stories of worshipping statues instead.:faint:

ProfLogic

Neale said:
I believe that the long-haired, tanned portraiture of Jesus we've all come to know is not an accurate representation of the historical Jesus of Nazareth. To my knowledge, no one actually contemporarily painted him, so the figure that we've come to know is merely a generic representation of a regal, Jewish man of that era.

Do you happen to know when the images started?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Victor said:

That Jesus had blue eyes and blonde hair, or black eyes with blonde hair, or maybe He had freckles. I can personally care less.

I was glad to find out that I was wrong and this is about one of those lockness monster stories of worshipping statues instead.:faint:

True dat.

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
ProfLogic said:
Do you happen to know when the images started?

As I mentioned, I'm not sure exactly when, if any of Jesus' contemporary artists sat him down and painted him...so unless someone actually has the negatives from the time, no one can say for certain if he did or didn't look like that.

I would assume that the images started a few generations after Jesus' death, probably slightly after the reign of Theodosius.

MySpace tells me otherwise. :)

ProfLogic

Victor said:

Well since believers claim that man was created through the self proclaimed gods image, i begin to worhip mirrors when there ia a reflection of mankind......lol.. On a serious note, the argument is when you create an image of your perceived god, is this against a commandment if you worship it? thats what I got from the thread starter..... I had used people of your faith since that is what they told me that they pray to statues, etc.... Becky said no Catholics do not pray to statues....

ProfLogic

Neale said:
As I mentioned, I'm not sure exactly when, if any of Jesus' contemporary artists sat him down and painted him...so unless someone actually has the negatives from the time, no one can say for certain if he did or didn't look like that.

I would assume that the images started a few generations after Jesus' death, probably slightly after the reign of Theodosius.

MySpace tells me otherwise. :)

That truly is puzzling since the bible survived for 5000 years but no image of a man called christ. Since jesus' followers survived and in 300 AD constantine supported this new religion, you would have thought someone would have a bust of christ like the emperors..... I know how pompeii and ceasar looks even constantine....

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Well since believers claim that man was created through the self proclaimed gods image, i begin to worhip mirrors when there ia a reflection of mankind......lol.. On a serious note, the argument is when you create an image of your perceived god, is this against a commandment if you worship it? thats what I got from the thread starter..... I had used people of your faith since that is what they told me that they pray to statues, etc.... Becky said no Catholics do not pray to statues....

Exactly -- Catholics DO NOT pray to stuatues.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
That truly is puzzling since the bible survived for 5000 years but no image of a man called christ. Since jesus' followers survived and in 300 AD constantine supported this new religion, you would have thought someone would have a bust of christ like the emperors..... I know how pompeii and ceasar looks even constantine....

They were emperors and self-conceited and had those statues commisioned.

logician

"so the figure that we've come to know is merely a generic representation of a regal, Jewish man of that era.
quot-bot-left.gif
"

Actually, the figure that we've come to know is not a Jewish figure.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
Exactly -- Catholics DO NOT pray to stuatues.

Just remember a catholic admitted he felt he/she did..... earlier... Now if someone truly thinks that the item that they create is what they called the self proclaimed god of the bible is that in violation of the false idol commandment?

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
ProfLogic said:
Constantine and his mother could have made one..... Constantine was an emperor....

From what would he make it? Jesus lived during the original principit of Augustus, Constantine didn't even exist for a long time afterwards. Unless they had a poleroid or something, Constantinian artisans wouldn't have anything to "trace."

It's also quite interesting to consider if Constantine was "actually" Christian. There is startling evidence that suggests otherwise...but that's another thread ;)

ProfLogic

wanderer085 said:
"so the figure that we've come to know is merely a generic representation of a regal, Jewish man of that era.
quot-bot-left.gif
"

Actually, the figure that we've come to know is not a Jewish figure.

Isn't it a caucasian man, might be from the english?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
ProfLogic said:
Just remember a catholic admitted he felt he/she did..... earlier... Now if someone truly thinks that the item that they create is what they called the self proclaimed god of the bible is that in violation of the false idol commandment?

Really? Which one?

ProfLogic

Neale said:
From what would he make it? Jesus lived during the original principit of Augustus, Constantine didn't even exist for a long time afterwards. Unless they had a poleroid or something, Constantinian artisans wouldn't have anything to "trace."

It's also quite interesting to consider if Constantine was "actually" Christian. There is startling evidence that suggests otherwise...but that's another thread ;)

it was less than 300 years, someone from the believers would have gottena clear image of the christ since he was deemed as an important person, he was calimed to be the son of god after his crucifixion, I saw something like " this truly is the son of god"...... The shroud that was arounf christ would have been one of the things that you coul dhave gotten an image on.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:

According to DOCTRINE they do not worship statues. You don't get it do you?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
it was less than 300 years, someone from the believers would have gottena clear image of the christ since he was deemed as an important person, he was calimed to be the son of god after his crucifixion, I saw something like " this truly is the son of god"...... The shroud that was arounf christ would have been one of the things that you coul dhave gotten an image on.

Apparenlty image is extremley important to you and everything has to be visual.

It wasn't important to the believers then or now. It wouldn't and won't change their faith whether Jesus is black, white, green or yellow.

You are just arguing against yourself.