• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FCC wins........

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Really ? Have you studied about the subject, ever since we last talked about this, to have an informed opinion ? You couldn't even point out what advantages the consumers are getting from this back then. If you can do that now, feel free to do so, the timing would be just perfect.
Oh, you true believers.
You offered no expertise or convincing argument for your view either.
And I'm not going thru that again.
Each of us is entitled to our preferences.
Just accept that opinions will vary.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is certainly not a victory for democracy. The vast majority of Americans oppose this move. But that does not matter in a pseudo-democracy like the U.S. All that matters is what Verizon wants.
Regulatory matters are administrative, rather than democratically determined.
I see it as useful deregulation.
But opinions will vary.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
This wouldn't be so bad if the ISP's hadn't already formed an oligopoly (a monopoly, but legal!). Since there are so few actors on stage, they can ruin the show at will and there isn't anything the audience can really do. There is absolutely nothing stopping ISP's from having backroom meetings and creating unified policies to pad profits while stripping features knowing there aren't any alternatives in the near future. Sure, eventually there might be a competitor that can do something but we are talking years out. Even then, there are more problems since those same ISP's are in the pockets of legislators that can work to slow (or even stop) competition.

Sure, if you trust corporations to "do the right thing" or still subscribe to the ludicrous notion that a free market in this climate benefits the consumer, sure, you might be excited. I am not convinced.

Daemon Sophic

And which party wanted this? [hint-hint, it wasn't the Dems]

Again, the working stiff gets another stiffy from the Regressive Party, so when will some people in the middle-income range finally come to realize that these right-wing millionaires/billionaires that are in office are not on their side?
But....but....the Dems are the elitist latte sipping hoi-paloi!! While Republicans are fighting the good fight for us middle-class blue collar types. Fox and Limbaugh can’t BOTH be wrong. :eek:

Regulatory matters are administrative, rather than democratically determined.
I see it as useful deregulation.
But opinions will vary.
:facepalm:
Little Johnny’s opinion is that 2+2 equals 37.94. and since it is his opinion, and ***mod edit*** like all good little Libertarians and Republicans, then his opinion cannot be wrong.
Right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
:facepalm:
Little Johnny’s opinion is that 2+2 equals 37.94. and since it is his opinion, and since Johnny is a beautiful unique snowflake like all good little Libertarians and Republicans, then his opinion cannot be wrong.
Right?
You think it's about right & wrong?
That's so...religious.
It's about preferences.
I prefer less regulation in this area of commerce.
Some people just suffer from the illusion that their preferences are right.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
The old argument of principles vs outcomes. . .

I prefer outcomes that benefit all of us, despite how messy such implementation can be. . . And I don't much care for some general principal for its own sake, as deceptively clean and simple as such thinking may present itself.

87% of US citizens are on
one side of this issue, and this 3-2 ruling along party lines will have pretty obvious consequences.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Aye, the bomb threat notwithstanding, it's a win.

So the only rule, that no one can regulate the internet, is gone. Now Corporations can make any regulations they want. There's a reason hundreds of internet pioneers and creators of the internet were against the ruling.

So it might be a win for corporations but not for consumers or free speech.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Oh, you true believers.
You offered no expertise or convincing argument for your view either.
And I'm not going thru that again.
Each of us is entitled to our preferences.
Just accept that opinions will vary.

Do you mean you remain with your uninformed opinion on the subject ?
Not all opinions are made equal because not all opinions are equally informed.
And yet you insist that as a consumer there is an advantage here for you, even though you are incapable of naming one and proving it to be true.
And then you proceed to call me a true believer ? Don't you see the glaring hypocrisy ?

I guess it's a wait-and-see situation now in regards to all the doomsday scenarios people have proposed if net neutrality is repealed.

I would imagine any changes would be very gradual and occur over the long term.

I do find it hard to believe that ISPs spent tens of millions of $ trying to change the law for any other reason than they can make more money out of it though, and that money is ultimately coming out of someone's pocket.