• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear of God?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
To prevent the derailing of a thread on the merits of biological evolution, I am re-posting the following quote here...

You are wrong by saying "a God who demands fear is unworthy of worship."
"But our God is in heaven;
He does whatever He pleases." -ps.115:3
People like you saying that is corrupt & not wise hehe...

It is my strong opinion that a God who demands fear from his followers is unworthy of worship, and in fact, reflects an anthropomorphic God that contains the very human destructive emotions of vengeance, hate, jealousy and low self esteem.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I agree entirely. Yahweh is an evil god, and it is my (our?) sacred duty to do everything in my power to stop people from worshiping him.

Rakhel

I, for one, like his sadist nature and find him no different than any other god that is worshiped.

spanjo

Taken from dictionary.com:

Fear,

1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.

2. a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights.

3. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.

4. reverential awe, esp. toward god.

5. that which causes a feeling of being afraid; that of which a person is afraid: Cancer is a common fear.

Take a look at number 4

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It is my strong opinion that a God who demands fear from his followers is unworthy of worship, and in fact, reflects an anthropomorphic God that contains the very human destructive emotions of vengeance, hate, jealousy and low self esteem.
I share this opinion. :)

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Taken from dictionary.com:

Fear,

1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.

2. a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights.

3. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.

4. reverential awe, esp. toward god.

5. that which causes a feeling of being afraid; that of which a person is afraid: Cancer is a common fear.

Take a look at number 4
Exodus 14:31 Israel saw the great power that the LORD used against the Egyptians, so the people feared the LORD, and they believed in the LORD and in his servant Moses.

2 Kings 17:25 And at the beginning of their dwelling there, they did not fear the LORD. Therefore the LORD sent lions among them, which killed some of them.

Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

And yes, there are many other verses that define fear of God as to be in awe.
I am also in awe of the destructive power of the Nuclear Bomb.

I do not believe this fear of God is healthy. It is reminiscent of a population who both fear and love their leaders out of awe of their supposed power and admiration for their benevolence when not crossed.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure if this is about a certain god or any god who wants or demands fear, or in other words some times threatens. But in case if its a general opinion that any god demanding fear from his followers out of a personal need, i agree that this doesn't speak highly of that particular god. However, i don't think that mentioning the fear factor necessarily mean that a god is in need of that.

The fact is that for some people (and thats probably a lot of people), the only or usual deterrent that stops them from harming others and doing bad things is the consequences. The idea of a certain authority figure which is good and kind etc.., but also strong and punishes when there is a need for such punishment, is not bad at all. A god saying or reminding people of his power and the consequences of doing bad, and fearing that, is not wrong or bad or showing that this god has a need to be feared. It is merely a deterrent for certain types of people. One method of many methods to encourage people to do good and refrain from doing bad.

Sometimes i do good because i want to do that particular thing, i believe in it and its going to make me feel good. Some times i do it to please the god i worship. The same with bad things, some times i refrain because something regarding my principles and how i feel about that action, sometimes out of feeling ashamed that i wanted to do such a bad thing, and some times out of fearing the consequences. For example i believe that whatever i do to others is going to be done to me, that has refrained me many times from doing bad things when all my usual reasons didn't cut it at that time.

spanjo

There are 3 reasons why people obey God

1. "Fear"

2. Duty

3. Love

Love is ultimately what God desires for us, but love is often a process. Our selfish human natures are not always prepared to obey out of love. Unless God intervenes and says "listen, if you don't change, this is where you are headed, do you really want to go that way?" we will continue down the path of selfishness and receive our reward. All that He does, He does out of love for us. He knows what is best for us.

Last edited:

ellenjanuary

I fear my Gwynnies. I am far too in love with that girl to ever want to meet her. Sure, that's crazy; but it is also relevant. Fearing god has nothing to do with bowing down and taking it up the... uhm; and everything to do with a love so grand that once met, consumes all.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Scripture is riddled with accounts of God punishing those who disobey, or worship other gods. And rewarding those who are faithful and 'toe the line'.
So even though some may excuse fear of God as reverential awe, the fact remains that to disobey, or turn away from this God is to receive punishment and retribution.
Isaiah was constantly warning people about the dangers of turning away from God, other prophets described the atrocities that would be inflicted upon those who did not come back to God.
God is described as jealous and wrathful.
Is this an accurate description of a being deserving of worship?

spanjo

I'm not sure if this is about a certain god or any god who wants or demands fear, or in other words some times threatens. But in case if its a general opinion that any god demanding fear from his followers out of a personal need, i agree that this doesn't speak highly of that particular god. However, i don't think that mentioning the fear factor necessarily mean that a god is in need of that.

The fact is that for some people (and thats probably a lot of people), the only or usual deterrent that stops them from harming others and doing bad things is the consequences. The idea of a certain authority figure which is good and kind etc.., but also strong and punishes when there is a need for such punishment, is not bad at all. A god saying or reminding people of his power and the consequences of doing bad, and fearing that, is not wrong or bad or showing that this god has a need to be feared. It is merely a deterrent for certain types of people. One method of many methods to encourage people to do good and refrain from doing bad.

Sometimes i do good because i want to do that particular thing, i believe in it and its going to make me feel good. Some times i do it to please the god i worship. The same with bad things, some times i refrain because something regarding my principles and how i feel about that action, sometimes out of feeling ashamed that i wanted to do such a bad thing, and some times out of fearing the consequences. For example i believe that whatever i do to others is going to be done to me, that has refrained me many times from doing bad things when all my usual reasons didn't cut it at that time.

Amen to that; well said!

Christian Gnosis

To prevent the derailing of a thread on the merits of biological evolution, I am re-posting the following quote here...

This is not the god I believe in. Yes, this is a low level spirit being not worthy of worship.

"The Father is not jealous, for how could he be jealous of his own members?"- Valentinus (Gnostic fathers)

spanjo

So why are more modern translations not using the term 'respect', but still using the term 'fear'?

Because 'fear' means the same thing. Look up just about any word in the english dictionary, it will have many different meanings.

Christian Gnosis

The NT says the following about the true God and what he has to do with fear, zilch-

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Because 'fear' means the same thing.
I'm rather aware of the multiple meanings of 'fear', although I don't know many people who use 'fear' in the same way as 'awe' or 'love' nowadays.

Bit...sloppy of the translators to keep that translation when it's falling out of usage, isn't it? How many people do you know who would say "I fear my husband", and if someone did say that to you, would you not be concerned for them? :shrug:

spanjo

Scripture is riddled with accounts of God punishing those who disobey, or worship other gods. And rewarding those who are faithful and 'toe the line'.
So even though some may excuse fear of God as reverential awe, the fact remains that to disobey, or turn away from this God is to receive punishment and retribution.
Isaiah was constantly warning people about the dangers of turning away from God, other prophets described the atrocities that would be inflicted upon those who did not come back to God.
God is described as jealous and wrathful.
Is this an accurate description of a being deserving of worship?

"But there is a law given, and a punishment affixed, and a repentance granted; which repentance, mercy claimeth; otherwise, justice claimeth the creature and executeth the law, and the law inflicteth the punishment; if not so, the works of justice would be destroyed, and God would cease to be God." - BoM

The word 'jealous' is translated from the hebrew 'qannah' which means, possessing sensitive and deep feelings. 'Jealous' is not a very good translation in my opinion.

Last edited: