• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flavius Josephus About Jesus?

Oberon

But in the books of the NT actually attributable to Paul he basically is dead silent about an earthly Jesus

Yes, because he didn't know the earthly Jesus and had to compete with those who did. Yet he still gives us nuggets of Jesus' teachings (most directly the one on divorce), tells us about Jesus' final meal, states that he was descended from David according to the flesh (very earthly) and that he was crucified. He also tells us he knew Jesus' brother.

Oberon

Do you mean a Jesus upon which the Xian religion is based? Actually, the XIan religion sprang from Paul(whoever he was), and he had no knowledge whatsoever and did not base his teachings from an earthly Jesus.
If he did not base his knowledge on an earthly Jesus, why did he distinguish between his teachings and Jesus'?

dogsgod

Th divorce comment could just as well have come from the OT. Jesus refers to the OT when questioned about divorce. Matt 19.5

Oberon

Th divorce comment could just as well have come from the OT. Jesus refers to the OT when questioned about divorce. Matt 19.5

Man, you couldn't do a better job of proving how little you know if you tried. Jesus is the only one of all the ancient world to prohibit divorce. It was taken as a given by the jews, romans, greeks, and so forth.

A

angellous_evangellous

Jesus is the only one of all the ancient world to prohibit divorce.

I wonder about this... it's often assumed by NT scholars, but I'm not quite convinced that this is true.

Oberon

I wonder about this... it's often assumed by NT scholars, but I'm not quite convinced that this is true.

Why not? There is no evidence anywhere of anyone stating something like this. It is one of the few radical teachings of Jesus I think is historical (unlike his statement about dietary laws). It is attested to in multiple independent sources, including Paul (which is quite rare). It is also radically different from every single source we have for teachers and cultures before, during, and after Jesus.

dogsgod

According to Paul the Lord said that a woman must not divorce but if she does she should not remarry. Cor 7:11

There are circumstances where divorce is prohibited. Deut 22:19They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the girl's father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

A

angellous_evangellous

Why not? There is no evidence anywhere of anyone stating something like this. It is one of the few radical teachings of Jesus I think is historical (unlike his statement about dietary laws). It is attested to in multiple independent sources, including Paul (which is quite rare). It is also radically different from every single source we have for teachers and cultures before, during, and after Jesus.

Well, later writers pick up the idea -- it is associated with Pythagoras by Iamblichus I believe... It seems to me that the "radical" nature of this teaching is exagerrated by NT apologists.

We do have papyrii and monuments from the first century that indicate that lifelong marriage was treasured by monogamous couples and divorce was painful and unattractive, so it seems to me that a teacher who taught the same thing would be not so radical.

Oberon

According to Paul the Lord said that a woman must not divorce but if she does she should not remarry. Cor 7:11 There are circumstances where divorce is prohibited. Deut 22:19They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the girl's father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

There were certain customs governing marriage and divorce in all cultures. But Jesus says nothing about this according to Paul. Neither the wife or husband is to leave their spouse. No circumstances are given AT ALL. This is completely unique within Jewish, Roman, and Greek culture.

dogsgod

There's nothing radical here.

Matthew 19:4
4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'[b]? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"
8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Jesus grants divorce for marital unfaithfulness, nothing new here.

Malachi 1:16

"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel.

Oberon

There's nothing radical here.

Matthew 19:4
4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'[b]? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"
8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Jesus grants divorce for marital unfaithfulness, nothing new here.

Malachi 1:16

"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel.

1. Matthew is likely to have added that
2. According to you, the gospels are completely ahistorical, so nothing in them should be used
3. All throughout Jewish history, divorce is permitted. It was a given.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, later writers pick up the idea -- it is associated with Pythagoras by Iamblichus I believe... It seems to me that the "radical" nature of this teaching is exagerrated by NT apologists.

We do have papyrii and monuments from the first century that indicate that lifelong marriage was treasured by monogamous couples and divorce was painful and unattractive, so it seems to me that a teacher who taught the same thing would be not so radical.

Some examples...

Online Companion: Marriage

Funerary altar in marble dedicated to Primigenia and Diogenes, probably freedpersons, who had lived together 47 years, by their freedpersons and slaves (inscription). The opulent reliefs echo Augustan monuments: garlands, birds, ram's heads, eagle (side 1 with traditional jug for libations; side 2 with patera). Julio-Claudian period (14-68 CE). New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Funeral Stele for Dasumia Soteris whose long and harmonious life of 35 years with her husband Lucius Dasumius Callistus, the dedicator, is inscribed on the stone, along with his regret to have outlived her. The upper figured relief, probably of the couple, has been broken off and is lost; the space at the bottom was probably intended for his epitaph. (CIL VI.16753). Rome, 2nd century CE. London: British Museum.

Funerary tablet for Severa Seleuciane and her husband Aurelius Sabutius who had lived together for 17 years before the death 10 years earlier of one of them. In the upper corner is a drawing of a shuttle and upright loom, symbols of her traditional virtue as a materfamilias or a sign of their trade as weavers. The inscription in irregular letters rather confusingly dates their deaths by the consulships of the emperors Probus Augustus and Nonius Paternus. The first words of the troubled inscription (cum cumvixit) are redundant. The dedicator of the marble tablet is unnamed. 279 CE (Gordon III.302). Rome, Capitoline Museums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Christ died, was buried and raised according to scripture, but his appearances were witnessed by people living in Paul's time.

1 Corinthians 153For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. 6After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

What "scripture" is he talking about...?....

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Ancient Jewish scripture, what non Jews refer to as the OT.

But that's what I'm saying (asking)....What OT scriptures say this..?

"that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures"

dogsgod

According to the link I provided, ideas about the Teacher are reflected in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But that's what I'm saying (asking)....What OT scriptures say this..?

"that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures"

In connection to Luke 24:46 please read chapter 53 of Isaiah. (Isa 50:6)
Mark 9:31 is connected to Jonah 1:17
Acts 2:27,31 is connected to Psalm 16:10.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
In connection to Luke 24:46 please read chapter 53 of Isaiah. (Isa 50:6)
Mark 9:31 is connected to Jonah 1:17
Acts 2:27,31 is connected to Psalm 16:10.

I'm well aware of these and how the NT writers sought inspiration for their stories by referring back to materiel in their possession. I've read Isaiah and I don't think it applies to Yeshua at all.

dogsgod

I'm well aware of these and how the NT writers sought inspiration for their stories by referring back to materiel in their possession. I've read Isaiah and I don't think it applies to Yeshua at all.
Apostles followed a mystical process of interpreting revelations, (visions) and taking lines from scripture to pass on to their followers depending on what message they are trying to instill upon them. The lines they take from scripture don't have to necessarily apply to Yeshua, they're there for the apostles to apply as they see fit. The phrase "according to the scriptures," traditionally interpreted as meaning 'in fulfillment of the scriptures,' can also mean 'as the scriptures tell us' or 'as we learn from the scriptures.' URAVIP2ME made some good connections.