• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those claiming to be Christians who don't believe that Jesus is G-d...

Christians who don't believe Jesus is G-d..

• I believe Jesus is metaphorical, follow the teachings only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I believe Jesus is an angel incarnate, worship Him

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McNap

One thing Jesus sure said:

19 Jesus therefore answered them, “Most assuredly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing of himself, but what he sees the Father doing. For whatever things he does, these the Son also does likewise. (John 5)

In verse 30 he continues with the words:

30 I can of myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is righteous; because I don’t seek my own will, but the will of my Father who sent me.

So its not that important whether you believe Jesus is god or not. Its more imortant wherther you believe in what he said. Because they are words from above. Of the father.
And so are his deeds.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

19 Jesus therefore answered them, “Most assuredly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing of himself, but what he sees the Father doing. For whatever things he does, these the Son also does likewise. (John 5)

30 I can of myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is righteous; because I don’t seek my own will, but the will of my Father who sent me.

So its not that important whether you believe Jesus is god or not. Its more imortant wherther you believe in what he said. Because they are words from above. Of the father.
And so are his deeds.

It is important, this isn't a trick question.

A

angellous_evangellous

Do you worship Jesus? Isn't that polytheism, if you do?

If you don't worship Jesus, is that really Xianity?

It's not polytheism if you believe in the Trinity.

I agree that if you don't affirm that Jesus is God, you're not a Christian - the divinity of Jesus is the single most important theological doctrine in Christianity.

That being said, here's my thought:

A tiny misunderstanding about God is just as offensive as a huge misunderstanding about God. So one Christian cannot trust God for forgiveness of their small sin and criticize another Christian for not understanding God the way that they do. Both offenses are just as serious, and the same mercy that absolves sin tolerates theological differences.

So someone cannot beat their chest and proudly say that they understand who God is, because somewhere along the line there's a little misunderstanding that weakens the entire way of thinking.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's not polytheism if you believe in the Trinity.

I agree that if you don't affirm that Jesus is God, you're not a Christian - the divinity of Jesus is the single most important theological doctrine in Christianity.

That being said, here's my thought:

A tiny misunderstanding about God is just as offensive as a huge misunderstanding about God. So one Christian cannot trust God for forgiveness of their small sin and criticize another Christian for not understanding God the way that they do. Both offenses are just as serious, and the same mercy that absolves sin tolerates theological differences.

So someone cannot beat their chest and proudly say that they understand who God is, because somewhere along the line there's a little misunderstanding that weakens the entire way of thinking.

Yes, that's my view as well.

Sure, though what if people went onto the Judaism DIR and started saying that pork is fine, eat pork, hey pork is great, eat it everyday, I think you get the point here.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Sure, though what if people went onto the Judaism DIR and started saying that pork is fine, eat pork, hey pork is great, eat it everyday, I think you get the point here.

I cannot detect how this is a response to what I wrote. :shrug:

A

angellous_evangellous

Must have misunderstood what you meant then.

No problem. With that response I wouldn't know where to begin.

What do you think about the idea that a small theological misunderstanding about God has the same consequence as a big misunderstanding about God?

If that is the case, then someone who believes almost everything correctly but has one tiny little misunderstanding -- that's the same thing as having a large misunderstanding. This means that because there's an even playing field, all of the benefits of believing in God are enjoyed by both the good theologian and the person who understands almost nothing, but reaches out to God in faith. The same loving mercy covers both - because the tiny little crack in the theologian's understanding is so significant that all of the other knowledge doesn't matter because it all slips away through that crack.

For us, it means that we shouldn't criticize other believers for what they do or don't believe -- because our shortcomings are just as significant to us as their bigger shortcomings are to them.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No problem. With that response I wouldn't know where to begin.

What do you think about the idea that a small theological misunderstanding about God has the same consequence as a big misunderstanding about God?

If that is the case, then someone who believes almost everything correctly but has one tiny little misunderstanding -- that's the same thing as having a large misunderstanding. This means that because there's an even playing field, all of the benefits of believing in God are enjoyed by both the good theologian and the person who understands almost nothing, but reaches out to God in faith. The same loving mercy covers both - because the tiny little crack in the theologian's understanding is so significant that all of the other knowledge doesn't matter because it all slips away through that crack.

For us, it means that we shouldn't criticize other believers for what they do or don't believe -- because our shortcomings are just as significant to us as their bigger shortcomings are to them.

You can view it that way, however the question is still, does believing that Jesus isn't G-d, yet divine and worshipped, signify two Deities etc.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

And so are his deeds.

This is good, and true and I had a similar thought today. The direction or a person's life does not change with any of the different beliefs about who Jesus is. The direction of a person's life surely DOES change with the obedience to all his words! It is much more important to listen, learn and act by his words than it is to form a picture of who he might be.

How is a person's life suppose to change whether Jesus is God, an angel or the son of God? I vote none of the above because son of God isn't on the list.

Sariel

Heretic
No, as far as I can tell, the only real necessary belief is that Yeshua is the messiah. I would argue that nowhere in scripture it says to worship Jesus.

gzusfrk

Christian
They Worshiped the God we call Jesus, the Son of God, and He did not stop them. Matthew 14:33, Hebrews 1 4-14

Sariel

Heretic
They Worshiped the God we call Jesus, the Son of God, and He did not stop them. Matthew 14:33, Hebrews 1 4-14
The Greek word proskuneo also means to bow in reverence/prostrate. Cornelius did the same to Peter and the same word was used. I'm not sure if we're allowed to do a debate in this section tho.

gzusfrk

Christian
The Greek word proskuneo also means to bow in reverence/prostrate. Cornelius did the same to Peter and the same word was used. I'm not sure if we're allowed to do a debate in this section tho.
Your the one that said you wanted to argue. But I apologise:)

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Yay! A poll in Abrahamic, and multiple choice as well. :yes:

Other:

NOT: "I believe Jesus is just the Messiah, worship Him"

But:

I believe Jesus is just the Messiah ben Yosef, do NOT worship Him

Far more important is to take to heart what he teaches, rather than to make an idol out of him.

But... the Egyptians tried to make an idol out of Yosef, so the pattern is there.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Oh, and for the purpose of the thread title; for a thread outside of the Xian DIR: I would define 'Christian' simply as being a follower of Yeshua in some fashion. If any mod moves this inside the Xian DIR, please delete my posts.

Last edited: