• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrated athiest asks why do you believe in God?

cladking

I guess that I think of the God of the Bible, Quran and the theistic Indian traditions as very human attempts to put a human face on the ultimate transcendant Mystery that I feel so strongly, so as to make it more comprehensible and emotionally comfortable.

I believe our ancestors put human faces on each aspect of nature they could understand. They built a reality that existed as human and then lived in this created reality.

They created "God" in man's image.

We are merely confused because our words are ephemeral and mean something different to each listener. Even our thinking is a little ephemeral. So we believe God created man in his own image.

The reality is we wouldn't recognize God if he flicked our noses. I'm confident that He does at will. I'm far less certain about the nature of His will. Just as we see reality 0nly in glimpses we see God only in the gaps between glimpses.

Ancient Reality

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
His comment that you answered was, "My point is that when theists decide to debate they will be exposed to critical thinking that does not support their reasons and purposes for belief." You didn't rebut it or even disagree, so presumably you agree. But your comment suggests that you think that the critical thinker is trying to reason to the faith-based thinker. Maybe you think he is trying to change the mind of somebody willing to hold unjustified beliefs. Not if he's familiar with such discussions. The critical thinker has only evidence and reason to offer, and those are not the currency of thought of many people. That is not what faith-based thinkers use to reach their belief set.

So, if his thinking were really that 'critical', he should be able to recognize that he has nothing to debate with. That, in fact, there is nothing to debate. Faith is a personal, subjective choice based on the personal subjective results that one derives from having made that choice and lived with it a while. What is there to debate? What is there to rebut? Especially when the 'critic' has no similar experience of his own from which to enter what is an essentially subjective dialogue? And the amazing thing, to me, is that these "critical thinkers" never see this most obvious fault. And instead, they just bulldoze onward, insisting on evidence and facts and objective reasons and so on. Oblivious that they are not even within the realm of subject that they think they are rebutting.

Perhaps you don't understand what the critical thinker is doing. For starters, it's not debate unless both participants are critical thinkers that engage in dialectic and attempt to rebut one another. That just doesn't ever happen when in discussion with faith-based thinkers. They don't know how to do that, nor do they know that they should. In fact, one almost never sees a rebuttal from the faith-based thinker. Remember, a rebuttal is not mere dissent, but a particular kind in which a reason is offered for why the other guy's position is not sound, a reason that if correct, means the rebutted comment cannot be correct. When do we ever see that? Only between two critical thinkers. Think of two attorneys debating in front of a jury. The prosecutor makes a case for guilt, say of murder. Suppose it is plausible. The defense must provide a rebuttal - a counterargument that if correct, makes the prosecutor incorrect. If he can't or doesn't he loses the case. Prosecution wins.

An offered alibi would be a rebuttal. If the defendant wasn't near the scene of the crime, he couldn't have committed the crime. Do you see why this is a rebuttal? In these kinds of discussions on RF, the response would be something like, "The defendant is a man of God and just wouldn't do that." That's not a rebuttal, because ever if he were a man of God, he could be guilty of the crime. It is not a comment that if true, makes the allegation of guilt impossible. Prosecution wins again, for lack of a convincing rebuttal.

But an alibi does this. If it is accurate, and the prosecutor cannot discredit the claim, the defense wins. Debate over.

However, the prosecution may be able to rebut the claim of an alibi, but to be a rebuttal, it needs to be a comment that makes the alibi invalid. Cell phone data shows that the defendant was in the vicinity of the crime after all. Alibi rebutted, and if this is not successfully rebutted in return, prosecution wins. And back and forth it goes until the last plausible argument goes unrebutted.

I think of this as similar to a game of ping-pong, with prosecutor and defense attorney rallying for several shots back and forth until finally a shot is made that can't be returned. Debate over. What do we see here instead? Faith-based thinker makes a claim, critical thinker rebuts it, and the server ignores that by not offering a rebuttal, just dissent: "Well you can't prove that there's no God" or "Your claim is absurd. I don't have enough faith to believe everything came from nothing by accident." Not a rebuttal, just mere dissent. He doesn't agree, but can't tell you why you are wrong, can't rebut your conclusion because he doesn't even know what that is or what is expected of him. This is not debate. It's like a ping-pong game where only one player ever returns a shot (rebuts), and then the rally is over, because no counter-rebuttal is offered. Not a debate. Not dialectic.

So, it's incorrect to think of those exchanges as debates. And hopefully, the critical thinker recognizes this. His comments change from an effort at dialectic - an effort to cooperatively resolve differences using the principles of critical thought applied to evidence - to simply commenting about what is happening as I am now. I have no expectation of you rebutting this argument. I make it anyway, assuming that there will be no forward progress from here. When has that ever happened? Never between us. How many times have I bemoaned your habit of not only not rebutting rebuttals made to you, but usually not even acknowledging that you saw them or understood them. Not debate. Not dialectic. It's one serve (the claim), one return (it's rebuttal), and out. Over. Done. There will be no further progress. Nothing will be settled or resolved.

You ask, "what is there to debate" regarding faith, and I agree. There is no debate there. To you, that makes this exercise absurd. What am I trying to do arguing faith with a faith-based thinker? Not what you seem to think. It's this, not debate. It's me making arguments like this one, and you failing to either say that you agree or explain why it's wrong. You won't do that, and I know it. So, I must have a different purpose. And I do. I want to make this argument knowing that it is the end of this subthread - one serve (your quoted comment), one return (my explanation why you are wrong and have misjudged what critical thinkers are doing when in conversation with others that just don't know how to cooperate), then it's over. Whatever your comment, it will not be a rebuttal, therefore, the discussion is over.

The mystery for me, and another point worth making even if it has no impact on you, is why you are going to let me be correct. I don't know why, just that that you will. Is there some kind of cognitive bias preventing you from seeing and understanding what is written? Do you not know what is being asked of you (notice that I explained in sufficient detail that you ought to)? Are you aware that you are being asked to rebut but just won't because you are insecure trying, or don't think you can offer a cogent rebuttal? Who knows? This is part of the problem with you not cooperating in dialectic. If you did, I might be able to address this matter more effectively.

But you don't and so I am left to speculate. I have an opinion, a best guess, but since you don't want to participate in my formulation of that opinion by adding my questions such as this one - why? why won't you even try to participate in dialectic. Look at our two comments above. Your comment above is off the reservation. It doesn't address anything that you read. I wrote, "But your comment suggests that you think that the critical thinker is trying to reason to the faith-based thinker. Maybe you think he is trying to change the mind of somebody willing to hold unjustified beliefs. Not if he's familiar with such discussions," and rather than address that, all you did was do it again. You made the same mistake thinking that the critical thinker was trying to debate the faith-based based thinker even after being told that that is incorrect, and I have told you that again here. There's no evidence in that response hat you understood those words. In fact, the evidence is that you didn't. I said that it's not a debate, and that the critical thinker doesn't expect to make an impact on the faith-based thinker faith-based thinker, and then you tell me scoffingly that doing so is pointless (you have a bad habit of gratuitously inserting word like stupid, absurd, insane). Yes, I know. I had just told you, and I'm telling you again now. And it is not what I am doing.

You also wrote, "they just bulldoze onward, insisting on evidence and facts and objective reasons and so on." even after me telling you no skeptic is asking you or any other theist for evidence. They know none will be forthcoming. I told you that that should be interpreted as a rhetorical question, since no useful answer is expected. I also told you that I have stopped asking the rhetorical question because of responses like yours. Same problem. There is no value in writing to you if you never assimilate what you read. Once again, my purpose must be something else, even if you never assimilate that idea, either.

Let's see how you respond to this. I'd really like to get through to you. I think these are useful ideas that you would benefit from carefully considering, and engaging in responsive dialog, where we're cooperating to resolve some of these issues. Why do you do what what you do, and is it conducive to your purpose? Why do you never seem interested in such things?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Everyone believes their decisions are rational. But not everyone uses the same rationale. And why should they?
Reason and logic are related. There is a way to make assertion and defend them through facts, data, and reason and these people can show their work IF they actually have facts and data and use reason. Those who make claims that do not follow this objective method, and have a dubious basis, is not rational.

Now a person can say they believe in Good because it makes them feel good. That is a true statement. They can't then assert that their good feelings means everyone else should feel the same way, nor that what they believe in a God MUST exist because those good feelings exist. When theists assert that non-theists are wrong for not thinking the same way is not a rational line of thinking.

You presume your rationale is superior, but so do most other people.
No, I simply look at what works and what doesn't. A bread recipe that includes wheat, yeast, sugar, salt, and water works to a sound result. A recipe that includes wheat, broken glass, nitric acid, and bits of brick won't work. It's not arrogance. It's that those who understand how reasoning works understand HOW reasoning works and what is good versus bad results.

There is no way for theists to argue for the validity and reasonableness of their beliefs. The claims happen to fail at a functional level, it is a bad recipe. There are no facts that demonstrate Gods, or any supernatural, exists outside of imagination.

Neither do you. And anyway, if their way is working for them, why should they care about yours?[/.quote]
You;'re trying to blur the precision of reason and logic with some sort of diplomacy. But sorry, logic is ONE set of rules. Reasoning has a fairly narrow set of conclusions when you follow facts and data exclusively. There's no religious reasoning, and non-religious reasoning. There is only reasoning, and you follow the reliable rules, or you don't. Its not a negotiation.

Look how many 'believers' voted for Biden. The world is full of theists. So they are bound to make up the vast majority of any group you care to delineate. And as to 'sloppy thinking', no offense, but i have discussed and debated with many atheists over the years, and frankly, they are NOT the critical thinkers that they think they are. In fact, I find most of them to be on par with the religious zealots they are constantly disparaging when it comes to critical thought. .
This is a bad argument here because you seem to be unaware of studies about religious thinking. People can be completely rational, objective, factual, etc. in all areas of life EXCEPT religion. And the studies find i that as our brains evolved to believe, and our brains form in early life using religious belief for identity and social cohesions, these concepts will bypass the frontal lobes. These ideas are literally exempt from being scrutinized by a rational mind, and this happens as a subconscious action. So that theists are capable of being reasonable in politics and science does not mean they have subjected their religious beliefs to the same scrutiny and truth value.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The only one who exists.
Then it should be easy for you to back this up, and demonstrate any God exists outside of human imagination.

Sure you can try to tough it out, but why? There's no advantage in pretending that you don't hurt, that you would not want a creator to take your griefs on himself so you won't to carry them alone.[/quote]
By not pretending a God exists I am facing the reality of my feelings and pain. I have no interest in masking it with fantasies that a God exists. Plus, this is the very God that causes cancer (if it is the Creator) in the first place so why would anyone turn to it for solace and comfort?

If someone kills your spouse are you going to turn to the killer for solace?

When my mom died, God gave me a clear sign that she was free now. It was one of the most profound, comforting revelations of my life. Of course I still grieve sometimes. But God talking me through it is much better than me trying to be the tough guy. He showed up again much later at her grave and showed me again that she's in her garden, not gone.
But that only happens when we trust him first, no matter how small that trust may be.
This is how religion works on minds under stress. This is why it has spread over time and is so prevalent in populations. The estimated 15% who are not "wired for God" have no temptation to adopt these ways of thinking.

F1fan

Veteran Member
@F1fan

See ... this is what I mean. The 'critical thinker' has nothing to offer this example of the positive power of faith in God. This is powerful "evidence" to the person that experienced it. But it is totally subjective, and stands alone. There is nothing for you to critique. And no logical reason for you to even try.
Oops, I already did.

I suspect you are feeling frustration with rational answers, and hard questions, to the many indefensible claims made by theists. We can't just take your word for it when you make religious claims, you guys open the door to questions. If someone refers to a God as if it exists, OK, prove it first, then follow up with evidence that actual God does things.

Theists can't.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That comes across as arrogant.

Yes, I feel much the same way about atheists. I often find atheists to be bombastic philosophical simpletons.
Arrogance. A lot of that going around.

That's probably not fair and won't lead to anyone growing intellectually or spiritually.
Are you referring to yourself? I ask because of the inconsistency of the two previous sentences.

What I expect from theists is if they are truly wise, balanced, grounded, ego in check, and any of the other basic virtues that are the ideal of religious expression, then it sticks out like a sore thumb when they act and say things contrary to any of this. Theists often put themselves up on a pedestal, especially over atheists, and it just makes the character of believers ironic and shallow.

We all have things to learn, and I think these debates offer a platform for that. I see both theists and atheists debate and say things without due consideration. I think it is worse for theists because of their assumed supremacy and spiritual nature. I see neither in many theists. I see people deeply rooted emotional in a set of concepts and they react very primally to what atheists say. To my mind this reaction is the antithesis to spirituality.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Perhaps you don't understand what the critical thinker is doing. For starters, it's not debate unless both participants are critical thinkers that engage in dialectic and attempt to rebut one another. That just doesn't ever happen when in discussion with faith-based thinkers. They don't know how to do that, nor do they know that they should. In fact, one almost never sees a rebuttal from the faith-based thinker. Remember, a rebuttal is not mere dissent, but a particular kind in which a reason is offered for why the other guy's position is not sound, a reason that if correct, means the rebutted comment cannot be correct. When do we ever see that? Only between two critical thinkers. Think of two attorneys debating in front of a jury. The prosecutor makes a case for guilt, say of murder. Suppose it is plausible. The defense must provide a rebuttal - a counterargument that if correct, makes the prosecutor incorrect. If he can't or doesn't he loses the case. Prosecution wins.
Let's note that faith-based thinkers CAN also be highly skilled critical thinkers. As I posted earlier studies show that people can think rationally and critically about certain subjects, but utterly unable to subject their religious beliefs to the same scrutiny. The brain bypasses the frontal lobes when the subject thinks religious thoughts.

PureX demonstrates excellent reasoning skills when the topic is politics and policies. He is able to cite facts and data, and follows them to a sound conclusion. But when the topic is religion it is like talking to a completely different person. None of the reasoning skill is evident.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Arrogance. A lot of that going around.

I see it both from theists and atheists.

We all have things to learn, and I think these debates offer a platform for that. I see both theists and atheists debate and say things without due consideration. I think it is worse for theists because of their assumed supremacy and spiritual nature. I see neither in many theists. I see people deeply rooted emotional in a set of concepts and they react very primally to what atheists say. To my mind this reaction is the antithesis to spirituality.

I've seen the same "hip shooting" as well.

But I've also seen what looks like from the text as emotional reactions for atheists using dismissive language about the impossibility of a theist to think logically about religion.

Of course, it's very easy to project assumptions onto people when all we see are words and don't understand the person saying them. I'm reminded of a card I had on the cubicle where I worked at one point that illustrated how hard communication can be:

quote-i-know-you-think-you-understand-what-you-thought-i-said-but-i-m-not-sure-you-realize-robert-mccloskey-66-74-61.jpg

F1fan

Veteran Member
But I've also seen what looks like from the text as emotional reactions for atheists using dismissive language about the impossibility of a theist to think logically about religion.
The English language is precise enough for us to convey exact meaning when we communicate. Theists often claim to be reasoning when they clearly are not. They might think they are, but that can be shown to be an error.

It's as if we are observing someone sitting in a chair and they are claiming to be driving a car. We can say "No, you are sitting in a chair, not driving a car. Cars are X. Driving a car entails Y." Yet this rebuttal to their claim is rejected and the observer is accused of being wrong in ways the subject can't articulate, except about their feelings and belief insist they are driving a car.

My study of the psychology of religion informs me why humans will think they way. But I still can't explain the science to them because they are fixed on what they believe is true.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
By not pretending a God exists I am facing the reality of my feelings and pain. I have no interest in masking it with fantasies that a God exists. Plus, this is the very God that causes cancer (if it is the Creator) in the first place so why would anyone turn to it for solace and comfort?
Why would you believe God causes cancer? That's a weird place to go. Are you sure you aren't just mad at him as opposed to actually not believing he exists?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Let's note that faith-based thinkers CAN also be highly skilled critical thinkers. As I posted earlier studies show that people can think rationally and critically about certain subjects, but utterly unable to subject their religious beliefs to the same scrutiny. The brain bypasses the frontal lobes when the subject thinks religious thoughts.
That's still condescending. To believe theists must not think rationally because they come to certain conclusions is just a form of prejudice.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Living in human reality. As adults we all came from two humans who had sex.

Sperm ovary in one body grown baby by human mother baby consciousness together.

Mother is a better human creator thinker.

Said I know as men. I told this theme story to myself.

Science owns no debate it doesn't exist.

As in human thinking words and stories are humans thinking first.

We Didn't choose the subject no science was real.

So my one hundred per cent correct natural human consciousness says life on earth is first of utmost importance.

I tell a story. Let's give earth a subject titled first God O Deity.

Just the planet. Explaining my living conditions a heaven body.

Our earth God O owned by erected volcanoes it's heavenly body that put its gas spirit into space.

I will teach that advice to human children teaching how O a planet deity created the heavens we live within.

Love honour respect its holiness. It keeps life safe.

Basic answer a human taught. No fake lying BS artist human egotists. Who wanted by terms as a self thinker to impose their thoughts greater or better than my own.

Pretty basic natural mind is first tells the BS artist egotists you lie. We don't need your lying stories or your civilization imposition.

Tribal life was balanced we didn't suffer any of your criminal mind choices once. A long time ago first.

Pretty basic human advice for human group bully liars. Lots of you.

Non stop lying doesn't make science correct no matter how many resources for inventions you want to invent.

In fact we never needed your inventions. Life was better when humans worked equally side by side for human survival mutually.

You evil minded liars.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Why would you believe God causes cancer?
If God is the creator than all that exists is caused by this God. Or are there other Gods and Creators?

You tell us what your religious ideology is about origins. Are you Christian?

That's a weird place to go. Are you sure you aren't just mad at him as opposed to actually not believing he exists?
I'm not mad at Santa for not bringing me presents on December 25. I'm not mad at any Gods, either. I'm responding to the claims various theists are making about their beliefs. I've not yet been convinced that any religious beliefs are true in reality, and that is due to the lack of evidence, or even plausibility.

So, by all means present any facts that a God exists outside of your imagination.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's still condescending. To believe theists must not think rationally because they come to certain conclusions is just a form of prejudice.
When a theist makes a claim that isn't rational then it is fair to explain this. Language is sufficient to explain how any theist knows a God exists, but they will need facts and a coherent explanation, not more claims, not belief, not condemnation, not insults.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
If God is the creator than all that exists is caused by this God. Or are there other Gods and Creators?

You tell us what your religious ideology is about origins. Are you Christian?
God creating doesn't equal God causing everything that happens. That's a common mistake made by people who tend to have a deterministic understanding of God.
Determinism have been prevalent in primitive religions, much ancient philosophy, most forms of Islam and even in much Christian theology.
Fatalism inevitably leads people to blame God for evil. The moment God decided to create humans and angels as free agents, he limited himself to some extent. The Bible depicts God’s government over the world as more a matter of God’s wisdom than of God’s power. Of course, if he just caused everything there would be no need for wisdom.
Because people are genuinely free, a lot of things God wills don’t happen, and many evils God doesn't will still take place. That's the reader's digest version.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You somehow assume you know what's rational for someone else without experiencing what they experience? Again that's just prejudice.
There are factual explanations in science about what the human brain experiences when it has religious thoughts. There's no evidence that suggests what believers claim is happening is actually happening. The human mind can easily create fantasies that the body responds to physically. When people masturbate they use imagination and create an experience that has both emotional and physical aspects.

If you disagree by all means make your case. Use facts.

PureX

Veteran Member

PureX demonstrates excellent reasoning skills when the topic is politics and policies. He is able to cite facts and data, and follows them to a sound conclusion. But when the topic is religion it is like talking to a completely different person. None of the reasoning skill is evident.
I am not religious and I have no interest in discussing religion.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But I still can't explain the science to them because they are fixed on what they believe is true.

There are many theists who are extremely good scientists.

As far as logic goes, during my time when I was an atheist I had a friendly debate with a Biblical literalist at work one day. His argument was simply that God created the world exactly the way the Bible said but made it look like it was not as a test of faith. I had to smile that he had come with a way to 100% accept what science shows while at the same time believing that God had made it appear that way.

His argument was perfect logical given his premise and utterly not refutable in the slightest. I remember giving him props for coming up that argument. Of course neither of us convinced the other.

I was bemused many decades later when reading Good Omens to read this which echoed that argument:
Archbishop James Ussher claimed that the Heaven and the Earth were created on Sunday, the 21st of October, 4004 BC, at 9:00 a.m. This too was incorrect, by almost a quarter of an hour. It was created at 9:13 in the morning. Which was correct. The whole business with the fossilised dinosaur skeletons was a joke the palaeontologists haven’t seen yet.