• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrated athiest asks why do you believe in God?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Nobody's totally stable. Some just think they don't need God because of arrogance.
What God exists that is needed? Do you mean to say that you believe it is arrogant to not need religion? That is a more accurate assertion. Now explain what is arrogant about not "needing" religion. Why do you think everyone should be needy? What do people need? And could it be you feel slighted that some people don't recognize religion and ideas of God as valid?

Most will pray at the point where thier life all starts going to hell...it happens to everyone eventually. We are all going to get sick and die. Scared people start to understand they control nothing in reality.
Again you are referring to emotional and mental stress and these folks seeking distraction and coping mechanisms. If they seek solace from religion this doesn't mean religious ideas are true. When my mom died in November quite suddenly the hospice center included a pastor coming by and calling to see if we needed anything. This was nice, but i'm not religious. I appreciated the religious notions of many of my mom's friends and family. My aunt wanted to pray for my mom in her prayer circle and I said it was great. Even as an atheist I knew others needed religion and prayer to help cope with the loss, and I did not say anything against their wishes. I did not need any religious help, I'm dealing with my loss directly and in reality. I've had a lot to think about, by own mortality, my ,om's remains, etc. We humans do consider our loved one's sacred. But we also have to put it all in real context. We assign meaning, and we adopt meaning. Even with religious belief we all have to face the reality of our dread and sadness. I prefer to face all this emotion and stress head on. I have no interest or need to rely on religious ideas to cope. Others do, and I respect their need. I suggest you respect that not all have needs that you do.

Almost everyone talks to God eventually... but for some it starts too late.
Are you a God? If not how sure are you about this? Could you be mistaken in your bullying?

F1fan

Veteran Member
To do that one has to understand your axioms in logic. Otherwise its just water under the bridge. If you don't understand it, or if you dont care, its useless to discuss logic and reason. :)
Typical firedragon. Make a claim. Get asked to clarify and justify the claim. Start making excuses, and blaming others for not getting it.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's so irrelevant. We are a combination of our bio-evolution, and our cognitive choices.
But you don't seem to acknowledge that humans make many emotional choices/decisions. Unskilled or unaware people will believe their decisions rational. They just don't have adequate skills to discern the difference. Far example if a person is trying to lose weight and has the choice between steamed vegetables and grilled chicken or pizza. Their rational decision is obvious, as they have goals and they know the correct means to get to the goal. But they give in to the temptation and emotional satisfaction of the pizza.

People are often driven to make emotional choices that are seen as rational since it involved their brain making a decision. Making rational decisions can often include hard realities that do not feel good. The sloppy habit of seeking rewards and emotional decisions is very easy and explains why many folks can vote for a Donald Trump. Look how many believers did that.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The Abrahamic God that 3.8 Billion people believe in does endorse those things. I can elaborate if you like.
Wrong. Jesus said to love your enemies. He said to bring the children to him...he healed and never killed anyone. He said he came to set the captives free...He died for every single person. He's a loving God who doesn't endorse any of the things you said.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What God exists that is needed?
The only one who exists. Sure you can try to tough it out, but why? There's no advantage in pretending that you don't hurt, that you would not want a creator to take your griefs on himself so you won't to carry them alone.
When my mom died, God gave me a clear sign that she was free now. It was one of the most profound, comforting revelations of my life. Of course I still grieve sometimes. But God talking me through it is much better than me trying to be the tough guy. He showed up again much later at her grave and showed me again that she's in her garden, not gone.
But that only happens when we trust him first, no matter how small that trust may be.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You say humans were designed by your God and your God was satisfied with his creation. He spent the seventh day lolling around. Then how come people sinned? Surely, there is a design failure.
That's a false assumption, again revealing a determinist view of God and creation.
He did design us, but he didn't make us obey him.
Is having free will a flaw? Most people would not want to be merely robots... and that would require a world where nothing we choose really matters, because it's not our choice at all.

PureX

Veteran Member
The only one who exists. Sure you can try to tough it out, but why? There's no advantage in pretending that you don't hurt, that you would not want a creator to take your griefs on himself so you won't to carry them alone.
When my mom died, God gave me a clear sign that she was free now. It was one of the most profound, comforting revelations of my life. Of course I still grieve sometimes. But God talking me through it is much better than me trying to be the tough guy. He showed up again much later at her grave and showed me again that she's in her garden, not gone.
But that only happens when we trust him first, no matter how small that trust may be.
@F1fan

See ... this is what I mean. The 'critical thinker' has nothing to offer this example of the positive power of faith in God. This is powerful "evidence" to the person that experienced it. But it is totally subjective, and stands alone. There is nothing for you to critique. And no logical reason for you to even try.

PureX

Veteran Member
But you don't seem to acknowledge that humans make many emotional choices/decisions. Unskilled or unaware people will believe their decisions rational.
Everyone believes their decisions are rational. But not everyone uses the same rationale. And why should they?

You presume your rationale is superior, but so do most other people.
They just don't have adequate skills to discern the difference.
Neither do you. And anyway, if their way is working for them, why should they care about yours?
People are often driven to make emotional choices that are seen as rational since it involved their brain making a decision. Making rational decisions can often include hard realities that do not feel good. The sloppy habit of seeking rewards and emotional decisions is very easy and explains why many folks can vote for a Donald Trump. Look how many believers did that.
Look how many 'believers' voted for Biden. The world is full of theists. So they are bound to make up the vast majority of any group you care to delineate. And as to 'sloppy thinking', no offense, but i have discussed and debated with many atheists over the years, and frankly, they are NOT the critical thinkers that they think they are. In fact, I find most of them to be on par with the religious zealots they are constantly disparaging when it comes to critical thought. .

Yazata

Summary: Why do you believe in God? What do you find to be the most compelling evidence that God exists?

Long Version:
I have found that I am getting frustrated at the thought of people who do not listen to reason, logic, evidence and facts.

That comes across as arrogant.

You may have noticed this frustration seeping into the conversations I have on RF. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just angry at you for not seeing what I see, which is not really fair. I'll will try to have more patience and explain things more clearly in the future.

Yes, I feel much the same way about atheists. I often find atheists to be bombastic philosophical simpletons. That's probably not fair and won't lead to anyone growing intellectually or spiritually.

One way to influence others is to first be influenced by them. In other words, seek first to understand, then to be understood. Maybe I would be less frustrated if I actually knew the reasons why you believe in God. Help me understand, and in turn I will respectfully respond, and if you care to hear I will respond with the reasons why I don't believe in God.

Thank you in advance for the conversation

I appreciate the way you are asking and will try to do your question justice.

Well, I don't actually "believe in God", since I'm an avowed agnostic. But like the later Anthony Flew (at one time the atheists' atheist), I do find myself drifting towards something like deism I guess. That probably requires some explanation.

Like George-ananda wrote earlier, one needs to ask what concept of 'God' we are talking about. They aren't all the same. I personally differentiate between the highly personalized deities of religious myth, and the far more abstract object of natural theology.

When it comes to figures like Yahweh, Allah or Vishnu, I think of them as fictional characters in effect. I believe (but not with 100% certainty) that they don't exist in any literal sense. So that puts me close to the atheists in that regard. I don't believe that the Bible, Quran or the Gita provide me with any privileged insight into the ultimate nature of reality. I basically reject most revelation claims.

But I don't totally dismiss these traditions either, since a lot of very good philosophy of religion has been done in the Christian, Islamic and Hindu traditions. I feel lots of kinship with the neo-Platonic strands of Christian tradition for example, and perhaps for Palamite theology in the Orthodox tradition. I am not ready to totally dismiss religious experience.

That being said, as an old philosophy major, I feel myself surrounded by mysteries at every moment. It's the human condition. We can ask "why" about anything. We get an answer. So we ask 'why' about the answer. And without exception we find ourselves at the frontiers of human knowledge in just a few iterations. Try it with your words up above: 'reason', 'logic', 'evidence' and 'facts'. What do those words mean exactly? What grounds and justifies them? Those are all still open philosophical questions and there's a huge literature about each idea.

So human beings find ourselves surrounded by unanswered metaphysical and epistemological questions wherever we turn. Something is going on with all this "reality" stuff, and I don't think that any of us really knows what it is.

One of the traditional ways of conceiving of 'God' is to think of the word as referring to whatever the ultimate answers are. We see it with the ancient Greek philosophers like Aristotle. This "God of the Philosophers" would be whatever the ultimate irreducible ground of reality is and whatever the source of the order is that we (and science) preceives around us, and ultimately why there is something rather than nothing. The ultimate answers to the ultimate questions.

I just feel intuitively that there's more to all this than we know and I long to know what it is. (Though I've long been resigned that I never will.) That's what I see religion pointing towards and it's why I don't want to sneer that search, that openness to the unknown, into atheist oblivion.

As an agnostic, I can't be sure that answers even exist. But just emotionally and psychologically, I'm inclined to take the Principle of Sufficient Reason seriously -- For all x, if x exists, then a sufficient reason for x's existence exists. (Yes, I'm aware that it leads to infinite regresses.) Science generally accepts it without acknowledging it, it's what the principle of causality is all about. It's why when we ask how birds fly, we aren't satisfied with 'It's just the nature of birds to fly and that's that'. We want to understand how it's done. It's what separates us from our dogs, we don't just accept our surroundings as givens.

I certainly can't be sure that the answers to the most fundamental questions can ever be known by beings in this reality. If there are super advanced space aliens out there, they probably don't know either. That's my suspicion.

I don't know whether it all traces back to one Master Answer as the ancient neo-Platonists thought: The ineffable transcendant "One". The Utimate Mystery out of which everything else emerges. Or whether there are multiple independent answers to different questions. Or even whether human concepts would apply any longer. I certainly don't want to think of the answers as human style "persons", that seems to me like the height of anthropocentrism.

I guess that I think of the God of the Bible, Quran and the theistic Indian traditions as very human attempts to put a human face on the ultimate transcendant Mystery that I feel so strongly, so as to make it more comprehensible and emotionally comfortable.

Human beings find it much easier to relate to people than to understand abstractions. Just think of high-school kids hanging out with their friends, vs trying to learn algebra. The former is a far more complex data processing task than the latter. But it's human.

So I often feel some kinship with religious people I guess. I sense that they are on a similar quest.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Would you design a system where if people did not love you that their children would get horrible diseases?
Both believers and non believers can get sick, so you're making up a world that doesn't exist.
The system was originally perfect but is now corrupted. Like a virus in a computer system, sin causes defects of various kinds.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Another certainly the religious "diagnosis". But what you call arrogance is really just your failure to be convincing. Why should I think that you know, or capable of knowing any of the things that you claim?

This is that whole 'no atheist in foxholes' schtick. That is just a fantasy of the religious. There have been a handful of occasions where my life has been in peril. And there have been a handful of occasions where my life has started - as you put it - going to hell. In those times, it has never occurred to me to pray. Not even once. My reaction has always been to think about what needs to get done to change the situation. Or, if the situation was out of my control, how best to ensure that the people I love survive it.
You haven't hit bottom yet, that's all.

ppp

Both believers and non believers can get sick, so you're making up a world that doesn't exist.
First, I did not distinguish between believers and non-believers.

Second: I am just going with the world that you made up, The one where you claim that "suffering is due to sin." If that is the case, in the world that you made up, then the babies are suffering because of sin, and the creator of your world intentionally designed it to work that way.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@Wildswanderer said: "That's a false assumption, again revealing a determinist view of God and creation."
Aup.: I a strong atheist, therefrore my views will be different from yours. That is but natural. I do not assume things.

ppp

You haven't hit bottom yet, that's all.
  1. You are just being snide.
  2. You lack the ability to have the fainted clue as to whether or not I have "hit bottom" or not.
  3. You claimed that everyone prays to God "at the point where thier[sic] life all starts going to hell" NOT where their life hits rock bottom. If you are going to make claims, then at least be consistent in those claims.
  4. Your belief that everyone prays to a god when their life is going to hell is not based in reality. It is based in what of what believers tell each other about non believers. It's akin to a man deriding a woman for being "hysterical" or "on her period" when she tells him something he doesn't like.

RestlessSoul

That comes across as arrogant.

Yes, I feel much the same way about atheists. I often find atheists to be bombastic philosophical simpletons. That's probably not fair and won't lead to anyone growing intellectually or spiritually.

I appreciate the way you are asking and will try to do your question justice.

Well, I don't actually "believe in God", since I'm an avowed agnostic. But like the later Anthony Flew (at one time the atheists' atheist), I do find myself drifting towards something like deism I guess. That probably requires some explanation.

Like George-ananda wrote earlier, one needs to ask what concept of 'God' we are talking about. They aren't all the same. I personally differentiate between the highly personalized deities of religious myth, and the far more abstract object of natural theology.

When it comes to figures like Yahweh, Allah or Vishnu, I think of them as fictional characters in effect. I believe (but not with 100% certainty) that they don't exist in any literal sense. So that puts me close to the atheists in that regard. I don't believe that the Bible, Quran or the Gita provide me with any privileged insight into the ultimate nature of reality. I basically reject most revelation claims.

But I don't totally dismiss these traditions either, since a lot of very good philosophy of religion has been done in the Christian, Islamic and Hindu traditions. I feel lots of kinship with the neo-Platonic strands of Christian tradition for example, and perhaps for Palamite theology in the Orthodox tradition. I am not ready to totally dismiss religious experience.

That being said, as an old philosophy major, I feel myself surrounded by mysteries at every moment. It's the human condition. We can ask "why" about anything. We get an answer. So we ask 'why' about the answer. And without exception we find ourselves at the frontiers of human knowledge in just a few iterations. Try it with your words up above: 'reason', 'logic', 'evidence' and 'facts'. What do those words mean exactly? What grounds and justifies them? Those are all still open philosophical questions and there's a huge literature about each idea.

So human beings find ourselves surrounded by unanswered metaphysical and epistemological questions wherever we turn. Something is going on with all this "reality" stuff, and I don't think that any of us really knows that it is.

One of the traditional ways of conceiving of 'God' is to think of the word as referring to whatever the ultimate answers are. We see it with the ancient Greek philosophers like Aristotle. This "God of the Philosophers" would be whatever the ultimate irreducible ground of reality is and whatever the source of the order that we (and science) preceives around us, and ultimately why there is something rather than nothing. The ultimate answers to the ultimate questions.

I just feel intuitively that there's more to all this than we know and I long to know what it is. (Though I've long been resigned that I never will.) That's what I see religion pointing towards and it's why I don't want to sneer that search, that openness to the unknown, into atheist oblivion.

As an agnostic, I can't be sure that answers even exist. But just emotionally and psychologically, I'm inclined to take the Principle of Sufficient Reason seriously -- For all x, if x exists, then a sufficient reason for x's existence exists. (Yes, I'm aware that it leads to infinite regresses.) Science generally accepts it without acknowledging it, it's what the principle of causality is all about. It's why when we ask how birds fly, we aren't satisfied with 'It's just the nature of birds to fly and that's that'. We want to understand how it's done. It's what separates us from our dogs, we don't just accept our surroundings as givens.

I certainly can't be sure that the answers to the most fundamental questions can ever be known by beings in this reality. If there are super advanced space aliens out there, they probably don't know either. That's my suspicion.

I don't know whether it all traces back to one Master Answer as the ancient neo-Platonists thought: The ineffable transcendant "One". The Utimate Mystery out of which everything else emerges. Or whether there are multiple independent answers to different questions. Or even whether human concepts would apply any longer. I certainly don't want to think of the answers as human style "persons", that seems to me like the height of anthropocentrism.

I guess that I think of the God of the Bible, Quran and the theistic Indian traditions as very human attempts to put a human face on the ultimate transcendant Mystery that I feel so strongly, so as to make it more comprehensible and emotionally comfortable.

Human beings find it much easier to relate to people than to understand abstractions. Just think of high-school kids hanging out with their friends, vs trying to learn algebra. The former is a far more complex data processing task than the latter. But it's human.

So I often feel some kinship with religious people I guess. I sense that they are on a similar quest.

Some of what you say here put me in mind of a passage I read recently, in Julian Paggini’s “How The World Thinks”, so I’ll quote it here;

“The Western mind tends to see all limits to knowledge as an affront, a border to be crossed…Elsewhere, human limits are not just accepted but celebrated…[To] quote Ravindranath Tagore, ‘Truth loves it’s limits, for there it meets the beautiful.’”

It is symptomatic of the materialist values of our culture, I think, this insistence that everything can be quantified, measured, understood. In some ways the atheist is like the Victorian butterfly collector, who in his determination to capture and calibrate nature’s beauty, robs it of both it’s life and it’s mystery.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
  1. You are just being snide.
  2. You lack the ability to have the fainted clue as to whether or not I have "hit bottom" or not.
  3. You claimed that everyone prays to God "at the point where thier[sic] life all starts going to hell" NOT where their life hits rock bottom. If you are going to make claims, then at least be consistent in those claims.
  4. Your belief that everyone prays to a god when their life is going to hell is not based in reality. It is based in what of what believers tell each other about non believers. It's akin to a man deriding a woman for being "hysterical" or "on her period" when she tells him something he doesn't like.
I guess you don't get nuance or context. That's ok, not everyone does.