• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrated athiest asks why do you believe in God?

ppp

The stakes are a bit higher..eternal death or eternal life.
So, eternal life with someone super powerful who does not measure up to my minimal moral standards; or eternal death, which I already expect. How do you think that would inspire me to care what your god wants?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
So, eternal life with someone super powerful who does not measure up to my minimal moral standards; or eternal death, which I already expect. How do you think that would inspire me to care what your god wants?
I guess you choose death. Seems like a stupid choice to me but it's your decision.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Right has no meaning whatsoever in a godless universe. In that universe the strongest survive and that's that... so might does make right if there's no God.
No, it has not meaning for you. Don't make the mistake of assuming that right has no meaning for everyone. and you are misunderstanding the theory of evolution since it does not say that the "strongest survive". That is over simplified and rather wrong.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Let's see, live 70 years if you're lucky, a very short time which anyone over 50 realizes... with aches and pain, sickness and worry and brokeness..
Or live forever in a perfect world with no pain or sickness.
I'll take door #2, thanks very much!
Ah, the Kiss Hank's ***<EDIT: Donkey> religion.

Reactions: ppp

ppp

I guess you choose death. Seems like a stupid choice to me but it's your decision.
That is not an answer to my question. The answer is that if my choice is between spending an eternity with a tyrant who thinks annihilation or torture is an appropriate response to not being loved; or simply ceasing to exist... I would take the non existence.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's a view on existence, what is your answer to the OP question?
My personal reason is when I started seeing God, I have not stopped. The first time it felt immense the experience, but the experience never went away.

However, the seeing explanation, has reinforced certainty, so it's part of it.

ppp

Let's see, live 70 years if you're lucky, a very short time which anyone over 50 realizes... with aches and pain, sickness and worry and brokeness..
Or live forever in a perfect world with no pain or sickness.
I'll take door #2, thanks very much!
But door number two is not perfect. The being depicted as determining what Heaven is like is a moral monster.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
That is not an answer to my question. The answer is that if my choice is between spending an eternity with a tyrant who thinks annihilation or torture is an appropriate response to not being loved; or simply ceasing to exist... I would take the non existence.
Why? God is love BTW, but why choose death over life regardless?
Love is a meaningless emotion in a universe ruled by chance anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think if it meant even 10 more years of existence you would kiss anyone's butt, despite saying otherwise.
Most would, when it came right down to it.
You missed the point. This video is only six minutes long. I am putting it in a spoiler since it has "donkey" in the title:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Aah, then we are not discussing the God of the Bible. Which God are you talking about?
The God of the Bible is love.
It's not just what he does... it's what he is.
"God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. God is love, and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The God of the Bible is love.
It's not just what he does... it's what he is.
"God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. God is love, and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."
You may have a redacted Bible. In mine he clearly is not. If I kill a thousand people and then claim "I am love" have I refuted myself?