• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrated athiest asks why do you believe in God?

PureX

Veteran Member
My opinion of what love is, is of the upmost importance to me.

I can't love someone/thing that I am also told I must simultaneously fear. How you get love out of that, I don't know.
I love being alive, and being human, so I can be consciously aware of this amazing gift. Sincerely. But I do also fear it, because both life and consciousness are capable of inflicting intense pain.

If I were to set "God" up in my mind as the giver of this great gift, I would love this God for it's having done so. But I would also fear it, too, for it's power to inflict such great suffering. And I would probably pray to/plead with it to please not inflict that suffering on me (or on anyone).

I, personally don't like to anthropomorphize "God" like that, as it makes me feel silly and childish, but I can see how others might. And how even I might under some circumstances.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I love being alive, and being human, so I can be consciously aware of this amazing gift. Sincerely. But I do also fear it, because both life and consciousness are capable of inflicting intense pain.

If I were to set "God" up in my mind as the giver of this great gift, I would love this God for it's having done so. But I would also fear it, too, for it's power to inflict such great suffering. And I would probably pray to/plead with it to please not inflict that suffering on me (or on anyone).

I, personally don't like to anthropomorphize "God" like that, as it makes me feel silly and childish, but I can see how others might. And how even I might under some circumstances.
Sounds like battered wife syndrome to me. And a pretty warped version of love.

PureX

Veteran Member
By all means offer the discussion a better explanation that is based on facts. Don't mention a God unless you can demonstrate it exists as a real phenomenon, and not as a religious belief.
Everything that "exists", exists as an idea that we made up and "believe in". So, this realm that you think you're standing in: this realm of "objective facts and evidence and reason" and all that, is just a fantasy that you made up and "believe in" just like other people make up and believe in their gods and their worlds. But because you are a "true believer", i.e., absolutely convinced of the righteousness of this realm of facts and reason that you've invented, you cannot comprehend how I can be calling it a fantasy. And so you scoff, and sputter, and harrumph, and continue on in your abject righteousness, determined to remain unaware that it's as much make-believe as anyone else's.

We are ensconced in an cosmos of phenomena, both physical and metaphysical. And we spend our lives trying to correlate these two realms of being to achieve the best effect. That's just how it is.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
There's a lot going on here. You admit Christians are exploitive,...
Huh? Where'd you get that? I admit some Christians are exploited, by people that pretend to be Christians but that really just want a way to take their money and abuse them.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Have you ever wondered why people always bring up children in these discussions, usually the same people who approve of abortion?
The issue of abortion is a difficult moral dilemma. The pro-choice people aren't advocating for abortion as something fun, they acknowledge there are serious personal, social, and health aspects to pregnancy and a blanket prohibition ignores these many, complex elements. No one likes abortion, but we do value liberty for women. Also notable is the lack of support for universal healthcare by anti-choice people, and that, to my mind, is a worse moral violation because that results in the deaths of people and infants due to a lack of healthcare access. So until you are on board with healthcare for all you can keep quiet about the morals of being pro-choice.

Is a child dying worse because they are younger? Death always sucks regardless of whether it's a child or not.
Then support healthcare for all. As long as healthcare is a for-profit product sold to customers there will be illness and death due to a lack of access.

" Religion" explains why we hate death, because it's not our original state, it's not what humans are created for..we know intuitively that death is an invader.
But religions don't hate death. Even Christianity says there is life after death, and this afterlife is better than our physical life, so why are you saying it's bad? Aren't you a Christian?

In the dog each dog evolution theory, it's just there...we really should shrug at it if we are just animals.
But dogs don't eat dogs in nature, there is completion for resources. It's only humans who deliberately kill each other for petty reasons. Even the Bible says how God forced the elimination of certain tribes of people. There's your basic, brutal, primal evolution at work.

Humans are animals, and we wage war to fight over resources just like any other animal. We try to be civilized and rational by doing trade and developing mutual respect for different tribes. With the exception of Putin the West has done very well since the 1940's to cooperate with each other, and this wasn't done through religion, but through a reasoned process that recognizes mutual respect is a vastly better approach. Has religion been part of this process? No. It's all been secular.

If there's no God to decide our fate, we are just plant food because that's all we are good for, and death is just natural.
Scary thought to not be superior to other animals, and be so greedy to want to live forever as if yourself is a God. I suggest a better approach is to accept that our death might be oblivion. In the vast universe why assume your life is worth more?

My own assessment is that what our fear is really the death of the ego. When my mom had weeks to live this past year I was glad she was so accepting of the end.

I think people don't want to believe in God because they don't like the idea of someone having any control over their lives.
Really? You can't acknowledge that some folks just aren't convinced any of the many God concepts are true?

I argue that even many believers aren't convinced a God exists. Look at many conservative Christians who do not follow Jesus' example of helping the needy, rejecting greed and material possessions, who devote themselves to others, etc. We see many conservative Christians actually live contrary to what Jesus taught, they are antiChrists. If these people really believed in God they would be bending over backwards to live as Jesus did, to help the needy and be moral in every aspect of life. They don't.

RestlessSoul

Long before I was an atheist, I was a Christian (as were many atheists).

I've tried this stuff many times. It didn't work. I didn't see any Gods. I didn't communicate with any Gods. Nothing.
So now what?

Yeah, the dilemma of the wanderer from faith. Having tried the way of faith and the way of no faith, here you are, on a religious forum, evidently lost. I feel for you.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Huh? Where'd you get that? I admit some Christians are exploited, by people that pretend to be Christians but that really just want a way to take their money and abuse them.
Reply to the rest of my post. You don't seem to take this very seriously. You seem to minimize how big an immoral deception and fraud this is.

Don't you think theists should demonstrate themselves to be morally superior to non-theists?

PureX

Veteran Member
Well then "exists" means something other than exists.
Exactly. Because we have to cognate existence for it to mean something to us. And cognition is a metaphysical abstraction. There is no escaping this. We don't exist, we "exist". If you can't understand that, you won't understand most of what I post.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Exactly. Because we have to cognate existence for it to mean something to us. And cognition is a metaphysical abstraction. There is no escaping this. We don't exist, we "exist". If you can't understand that, you' won't understand most of what I post.
This is incoherent. You haven't explained what you are trying to say here.

My suspicion is that you are trying to create a bizarro world where up is down, and black is white, and from this you justify that God exists and doubt is wrong. Tricky language? Distortion of what we can know is real? Illusion is real, facts are dubious?

Real things exist outside of our awareness of them, but you seem to be saying the opposite. So explain. Use facts and coherent language. Rely on the cognitive sciences if you need to.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What now for who? It didn’t fail me. I can’t speak for you, obviously.
This entire discussion was based on the assertion that:

"I believe in God because I experimented upon His Word and received the promised result."

... After you were asked for a test so that atheists could achieve the same results.

The "promised result" didn't work out for me and many others. So in other words, it's not a "promised result" and the test fails.

PureX

Veteran Member
This is incoherent. You haven't explained what you are trying to say here.
I am, but you aren't grasping it.
Real things exist outside of our awareness of them, but you seem to be saying the opposite. So explain. Use facts and coherent language. Rely on the cognitive sciences if you need to.
There are no "things" outside our cognitive awareness of "thing-ness". There is only physical phenomena. A great big cosmos of physical phenomena. "Things" are make-believe. We bundle our experience of some physical phenomena together and we call it "this thing". And we say it "exists" now, as this "thing". And we don't realize that we have just created it. We objectified it into our "existence". And we think because the physical phenomena exists (we presume) apart from our awareness of it, that the "thing" we objectified must then exist beyond our awareness, too. But they don't. Because they never did. We created them. We create the "facts", and the "evidence", and "truth" that you are so certain exists apart from you. We don't create the physical phenomena. But we do objectify it into "existence" in the realm of the metaphysical. We humans are as much metaphysical beings as we are physical beings. And we spend our lives negotiating these two realms of being.

PureX

Veteran Member
Do you think theists are morally superior to non-theists, or not?
No, I think they are trying to better, morally, than they feel they currently are. Some non-theist are trying to do that as well: to be better people than they feel they currently are. But the vast majority of humans engaged in that quest, do choose to be theists. Because faith in God is an effective methodological aid to people who are engaged in that quest.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Weird that we all are still considered dirty sinners then.

But again, how does that absolve us of our bad behaviors, and what's moral about scapegoating our responsibilities onto someone else?
It's mercy. You want justice instead?
We (Christians) are considered saint's... We still sin, but it is no longer our identity.