• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrated athiest asks why do you believe in God?

ppp

"feeling or showing strong annoyance, displeasure, or hostility"
Nothing about frustration in there.
Please. Anger is one of the products of frustration.

But regardless, what you just defined as anger is human emotion. You said that God has emotions but they aren't our emotions. You can't say that and then define anger for God in the same way that you define anger for us.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Adam and Eve understood that God didn't want them to eat from the tree, just like my dog understood this morning and I did not want her to chew on something that I left within her reach. Yet, as soon as I was out of sight she chewed it anyway. Punishment is appropriate for learning and God punishes not just because of the crime but because they now understand evil. They can't be allowed to live forever in that state. ( They would become more evil until there was no good left in them) So, instead he implemented the plan to save us from our own failure instead of just resetting creation. This involved his own death as a human.
And yes, I've had to euthanize dogs when they bit someone.
Wait, how can you expect anyone to know the difference between good and evil if they have no concept of it?

Robots can't love ..that only possible in a world where choices are real.
Why not? Who says?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Why should that matter if life is just about pleasure and then you are gone? Why would you have emphatic feelings in a world created by chance? "Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die." That's all there is in a reality that ends at the grave.
Why wouldn't it matter? If this is the only life we get, then it is of the utmost importance and value to live the best life that we can.

Why would I have empathy for others? That's an entirely different question and it's a bit alarming to me that a person would even ask that.
We have empathy for others because we are social creatures and having the ability to identify with the feelings of other human beings benefits not only ourselves and our loved ones, but society as a whole. Societies that don't care about such things don't tend to flourish.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It doesn't make sense to be moral in a world where only the strongest survive.

Perhaps not to you. Rational ethics is unlike ancient, received, crystallized ethical systems, which are prescriptive, and as you have seen, obedience to which for reward or to escape punishment is not considered moral behavior at all.

The typical secular humanist has a utilitarian moral intuition, that is, whatever facilitates the pursuit of happiness for the greatest number is the greatest good. I say intuition, because one cannot derive such ideas from reason or experience, although reason can and should be applied to that intuition to generate rules for generating such a society and for living such lives.

By this method, and under this intuition, we make a world that doesn't resemble the one you propose for unbelievers, one in which only the strongest survive. Humanist ethics promotes supporting survival of even the weakest, and not just surviving. Thriving. Flourishing. Think about liberal values such as objecting to homophobia, racism, anti-LGBTQ legislation, voter suppression, and the like. Or anti-gun stances, or infrastructure support such as for day care, parental leave, and ready Internet access for all. Or environmental protection including greenhouse gas reduction and clean drinking water. It's all about enabling people through education, access to quality health care, living wages, removing systemic barriers to success, etc..

I've seen nothing that shows what God did was immoral, just the opposite. He could have just not given us live, knowing we would reject him more often than not, but he gave us every chance anyway.

Your system of morals is very different from the secular humanists'. Yours is divine command theory, which states that morality is defined by the words and deeds of a deity. By that reckoning, you will never see anything that God did as immoral.

The secular humanist doesn't believe this deity exists, but is still able to make moral judgment about the character described, and does, which offends many theists, but those are their values, not the secular humanist's, who doesn't acknowledge the possibility of blasphemy.

That's like saying don't argue using the tenets of your religion on a religious forum.

That was your answer to, "You do not know that the Biblical god is omniscient. You just know that the Bible describes him that way." I don't think he's expecting you not to bring your beliefs into the discussion. He's just pointing out that the fact is that the deity of the Christian Bible is called omniscient. We don't ever see this deity or examples of its omniscience, so the critical thinker accepts that that is your belief, but has never been demonstrated to be factual.

God said he wanted his people to obey him and did everything necessary for that to happen.

Apparently not. Give me omnipotence and a preference for how my creation behaves, and I'll give you people that are all upright people, people that never have a desire to harm others, people that care about one another, people obeying the Golden Rule I hardwired into their human nature.

Often, the apologist will disparage such an arrangement, invoking the word robot as if such an existence would be empty or inauthentic, and suggesting that free will is a gift of God, as if such a thing made the world a better place. Under the authority of a tri-omni deity, we would have a paradise in which people were of the same mind according to the Golden Rule and the Affirmations of Humanism. Free will is a curse if the alternative is being built with the knowledge of good and evil and always choosing the good. Look at this vaccine mess we're dealing with. Free will at its worst. Just as we teach our children to avoid the kinds of drug abuse leading to so many deaths and addictions, and if we could, we would reach into them and wire them so that they made that choice, crippling this gift of free will to save their lives, if I could, I'd reach into every one of the willingly unvaccinated and remove that desire from them, replacing it with a more noble sense of community and a better understanding of the science and how to use it. Their free will is harming them and the rest of us. It is not a gift.

Regarding the robot claim, if that's being a robot, sign me up. Imagine only wanting to do what's good and right, fair and kind, and doing it. That's a good life, and it would feel good. It's a life free from guilt, shame, self-loathing, and litany of people that think poorly of you. It's all the free will that gets in the way and allows other lives to be lived, lives in which kids drop out of school, rob liquor stores, and end up making mistakes that degrade life.

Be being told...my dogs can even understand that kind of wrong and right.

But that's not moral behavior. It's self-serving behavior. Can one ever be free to be good for goodness sake if he believes that there are rules he must follow, that he is being watched and judged at all times, and will be rewarded or punished accordingly? Isn't that where we were as children, when we had no moral compass - just rules - and obeyed them for fear of being found out and punished if we didn't?

Earlier, you disparaged secular humanist ethics, thinking they should be dog eat dog if there were no God belief. I'm saying that that same God belief often stunts moral maturation, without which moral maturity - goodness for goodness sake - can emerge. If one stays in that juvenile state of feeling watched and judged, that maturation is impeded or stunted altogether.

You might want to rethink that immoral, godless atheist trope. It hurts you twice. First, the secular humanist gets to describe what it's like living under the authority of a mature moral compass and reveal that the theist seems to be unaware of that people can be moral without a God belief. He gets to show that it is he and not the theist who actually promotes and believes in the Golden Rule, whereas the ones preaching it go ahead anyway with their misogyny, homophobia, and atheophobia, as if they and most other people aren't aware that they would never want to be treated like that. You probably don't want to give the secular humanists a reason to point out who actually promotes loving one's neighbor, healing the sick, welcoming strangers, feeding the poor.

Then, it allows one to demonstrate how that God belief can impede moral and leave one in obedience for reward mode for life. It allows one to comment on the immorality of divine command theory, where people can be made to commit atrocities and feel good about it if they can be convinced that they are God's will. How many times have you seen answers like mine already? How many more times to you want to give people like me a reason to repeat them in a forum like this?

Reactions: ppp

ppp

Why not? And this assumes God controls everything. That's not the way sovereignty works in relation to beings with free will. I get upset when my dog disobeys as soon as my back is turned. That doesn't mean I would turn her into a robot to save myself from having to put up with her disobedience.
God is supposed to be an omnipotent and omniscience being who can choose to create any universe he wants. Which means that of all the possible universes that he could have created, that he chose to create this specific one where I would be dictating into my phone while watching bacon cook on my gas stove. He specifically chose the universe where I would be an atheist. He specifically chose universe where there would be a squirrel outside my window at that exact spot. He specifically chose the universe where there would be an Atlantic slave trade, were Norman borlaug would create a grain that would feed millions; the one where the kid next door from me growing up would be cancer and die. The universe where Andrea Yates would kill her kids in his name. He chose where every molecule of water in my shower this morning fell.

In a world where God created the universe he deliberately and specifically chose every single action choice and events that would occur for the entirety of the span of the universe. If he didn't, then he wouldn't be all powerful and all knowing. He couldn't be.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
How many times have you seen answers like mine already? How many more times to you want to give people like
Your answers aren't logical though. Morally is innate in most people to some degree regardless, but that doesn't make sense in a world where survival is the only rule. So that innate sense of morality came from something else outside ourselves.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
God is supposed to be an omnipotent and omniscience being who can choose to create any universe he wants. Which means that of all the possible universes that he could have created, that he chose to create this specific one where I would be dictating into my phone while watching bacon cook on my gas stove. He specifically chose the universe where I would be an atheist. He specifically chose universe where there would be a squirrel outside my window at that exact spot. He specifically chose the universe where there would be an Atlantic slave trade, were Norman borlaug would create a grain that would feed millions; the one where the kid next door from me growing up would be cancer and die. The universe where Andrea Yates would kill her kids in his name. He chose where every molecule of water in my shower this morning fell.

In a world where God created the universe he deliberately and specifically chose every single action choice and events that would occur for the entirety of the span of the universe. If he didn't, then he wouldn't be all powerful and all knowing. He couldn't be.
Ahh.. you still haven't gone deep enough. God did choose just this universe but that doesn't mean he has to choose everything that happens in it. The vast majority of things that happen, are still due to human choices. If this is best of all possible worlds, ,(see Molinism)
Then there's no world where more people would obey and love him than in the one he created.

Reactions: ppp

ppp

Ahh.. you still haven't gone deep enough. God did choose just this universe but that doesn't mean he has to choose everything that happens in it. The vast majority of things that happen, are still due to human choices. If this is best of all possible worlds, ,(see Molinism)
Then there's no world where more people would obey and love him than in the one he created.
I was aware of Molinism, though I didn't know it had a name. So thank you for the new word.

I don't buy the probability part. I do not buy the claim that in a given situation that there is a probability of action. I think that given perfect knowledge of the person and the situation that there would be perfect predictability. And that such knowledge is an inescapable consequence of omni-attributes.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Everyone that has ever done a good deed because they trusted in their idea that it's what their God wanted them to do is evidence.

Evidence of what? That beliefs inform actions?

I think it's cute how you focus on the "good" deeds.
How about all the bad deeds done with the exact same conviction and underlying reasoning?

"god wanted me to bomb the abortion clinic"
"god told me to drown my 3 children"
"god told me to execute men who lie with men"
"god told me to burn witches"
"god wanted me to fly that airplane into that skyscraper"
"god wants me to blow myself up in a crowded market"
"god wants us to free jerusalem from the muslims"

What are they evidence of?

Not very "scientific" of you. Or honest, either, for that matter.

Says the cherry picker.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well, they are doing a lousy job of it.

No, they aren't.

The fact that we are even conversing here in this way is literally the result of millions of people collaborating to make this possible.

On any given day, you are reaping the benefits of collaborations with millions involved all over the world for just about anything you do and use.

Or did you think the stuff at the supermarket just magically appears there?

The point is that we all need a Savior because we aren't capable of perfection.

Why would we need to be saved for not being able to meet impossible standards?

People are basically selfish in the flesh but being made in God's image gives us all the ability to be compassionate humans if we choose to cooperate with God's will.

That's gibberish and meaningless to me, since "god's image" can be whatever you imagine it to be.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If reality is not what you perceive that calls all of science into question because it depends on what we perceive as reality.

No, it doesn't.

If it did, we would know about radiation, relativity, quantum mechanics,...
We know about all these things because the "tools and mechanisms of science" revealed it to us.

Before we understood those things through science, it was considered "absurd" that something could be in 2 places at once. Or that the flow of time relative to an observer could change at high velocity or in proximity of gravitational fields.

This is what is meant with the phrase.
The things you perceive with your senses, aren't necessarily the things that are actually happening.
This is why science focusses on objective evidence, rather then subjective experience.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Bob gave a beggar some money and says he did it because he trusts that is what his God would want him to do. And you say his own reasoning is not "evidence" for his own actions. And now that it's right in front of you, you still can't say, "yeah, well, I guess that would be considered pretty good evidence". Ya just can't do it. Because that would mean that Bob's faith in God caused him to do something good. And that there are billions of Bobs out there in the world doing exactly that, and for exactly that reason.

All those people are amoral.
They do good only because they think a perceived authority wants them to.

I prefer people who do good because doing good is its own reward and who don't require a pat on the back from a cosmic father figure.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
They are true according to the senses of those who experience them.

Yes, they are true to the one who has the experience.
Which is not the same as what they think to have experienced also occurred in reality.

An easy example is, obviously, good old hallucination.
To the one having it, what they are experiencing is absolutely real.

Like Carlos Santana at Woodstock. The guy was totally gone on acid. He was hallucinating that his guitar was made out of rubber. As he is playing, it felt like the guitar neck wasn't straight, but all rubbery-bendy. You can see by his facial expressions that he was indeed really struggling.

But his guitar was as straight as ever, there was nothing going on.
His perception told him otherwise.

And by saying the senses are all we have while agreeing with the claim that we can't be sure of what we perceive, you have effectively shown that science can't be sure of anything.

*we* can't be sure of what we perceive.
This is how science lends a hand. Using the methods of science, we can confirm (or not) if what we perceive is actually true or not.

This is the part you keep missing.
The scientific method is a methodology that straight out the gates does not trust human perception.
This is why things like double blind studies with control groups happen - to remove that human bias.

The easiest person to fool, is yourself.