• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genocide in 1st Samuel 15:2-3

keithnurse

Poisonshady said it well. And you still didn't answer my question. If you don't believe a particular part of a story (probably because it doesn't suit your tastes) then why believe another part of that same story? If they are written in the same work, then there has to be a reason for you to accept one part and not the other. Especially when the second part is based on the first part.

It is not logical to say "Hmm, this book says that the Isralites killed the Amalakites because God told them to. Well, I don't believe in God so why did they kill the Amalakites?"

That, my friend, is not logic, but failure at reading comprehension.

I agree that if a book or any other writing has an error or what I believe to be an error, that places the entire thing under question but still doesnt' mean the entire book is false. Your last statement saying "it is not logical to say........" itself is illogical. If the genocide of the Amalekites actually happened the Israelites could have done for any number of reasons even if God didn't tell them to do it. Another post on this thread says the entire Hebrew sciptures should be understood metaphorically, so that the story of the Israelites committing genocide against the Amalekites is not literal history but symbolic of the battle of good vs evil. That way of looking at it makes much better sense than what the fundamentalists say who try to make it ok to literally kill children and infants because God told them to do it. If there is no evidence that the genocide of the Amalekites happened then I believe it probably is a legend too.

Last edited:

Kurgan

The religion that the Jews invented is a very punitive religion. It condones genocide on many occasions. The Jews were a bitter people and they had been badly treated for most of their tribal history. Revenge was a very acceptable practice in the time of Moses and he was a very bitter person.

The old testament of the Bible is one of the reason the World hates Jews. The other one is the fact that they are a closed society and do not play with others.

The world was a much better place when the gods were females.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
keith, have you missed the other threads with the very similar OP? they have been very active.

why not keep the debate in them instead of repeating an OP.

If you want answers to these questions, I'd suggest studying some basic Biblical historiography. it would be a very enlightening experience.

Poisonshady313

If the genocide of the Amalekites actually happened the Israelites could have done for any number of reasons even if God didn't tell them to do it.

"If"

Since the only record of this is in a book you don't believe, the only purpose of insisting that the Israelites did this on their own is to malign them.

mippop

The religion that the Jews invented is a very punitive religion. It condones genocide on many occasions. The Jews were a bitter people and they had been badly treated for most of their tribal history. Revenge was a very acceptable practice in the time of Moses and he was a very bitter person.

The old testament of the Bible is one of the reason the World hates Jews. The other one is the fact that they are a closed society and do not play with others.

The world was a much better place when the gods were females.

I think you should show up the Jews by inventing your own religion like they did. I think that the bible you write would make the Old Testament sound like a fairytale.

Sincerely,
mippop (a hated Jew)

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I agree that if a book or any other writing has an error or what I believe to be an error, that places the entire thing under question but still doesnt' mean the entire book is false. Your last statement saying "it is not logical to say........" itself is illogical. If the genocide of the Amalekites actually happened the Israelites could have done for any number of reasons even if God didn't tell them to do it. Another post on this thread says the entire Hebrew sciptures should be understood metaphorically, so that the story of the Israelites committing genocide against the Amalekites is not literal history but symbolic of the battle of good vs evil. That way of looking at it makes much better sense than what the fundamentalists say who try to make it ok to literally kill children and infants because God told them to do it. If there is no evidence that the genocide of the Amalekites happened then I believe it probably is a legend too.

I think I'll re-iterate what Poisonshady313 said:

"If"

Since the only record of this is in a book you don't believe, the only purpose of insisting that the Israelites did this on their own is to malign them.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Your response to what I said is valid only if God actually DID tell the Israelites to kill those people. You said nothing to back up your claim that God told the Israelites to kill the Amalekites. I think, once again, that the Israelites put those words in Gods mouth to make it ok for them to commit genocide against the Amalekites.
So what you are questioning is the validity of the Biblical account and not the merit of what is in it?

Fortunato

Honest
I know people probably don't like following link or even reading an article that has a bit of length to it but this seemed like a good piece of information after I went through it all. It is broken down by commonly asked questions in regards to this issue so maybe you'll find some good background information on Israel and the Amalakites.

shouldn't the butchering of the Amalekite children be considered war crimes?

Well Ringer, you were correct that the linked to articled was long. I tried my best at reading it with an open mind, but there were a several points he brought up that didn't make any sense. The first was the attempt to say that killing all of the Amalakites wasn't a form of genocide. He picks several cases of genocide out of history and explains how the Amalekites were different from those examples. He then lists 4 different types of genocide which some scholars have identified, none of which actually bothers to define what genocide is, and then ends with the statement that in this particular case the Amalekites weren't the victims of genocide! At least the Encarta article he mentions has the decency to define genocide:

"Genocide, crime of destroying or conspiring to destroy a group of people because of their ethnic, national, racial, or religious identity."

Based on this definition, and contrary to the article written by that Christian Think Tank, the Amalekites were the victims of genocide.

They were:
1) A group of people
2) who were murdered because of their ethnic/national identity

The second part that really caught my attention was when he said that the children weren't killed as a punishment, but rather as a consequence of their father's actions! Is this a moral standard that anyone on this forum ascribes to? That children should be put to death to punish their fathers?

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Based on this definition, and contrary to the article written by that Christian Think Tank, the Amalekites were the victims of genocide.

They were:
1) A group of people
2) who were murdered because of their ethnic/national identity

The second part that really caught my attention was when he said that the children weren't killed as a punishment, but rather as a consequence of their father's actions! Is this a moral standard that anyone on this forum ascribes to? That children should be put to death to punish their fathers?

I think the part that he was arguing was that the Amalekites weren't be targeted because they were Amalekites. In other words, Israel didn't attack without provocation or justification. We don't see that trend with what is defined as genocide today. For instance, we consider what the Jewish people endured as an attempt at genocide because they didn't act in any way to justify being exterminated at the hands of the Nazis. The other example given is the Hutus and the Tutsis in Rwanda because they were both internal groups within their own country and one of the groups had the control of the government to carry out such an attack. What we find with the case of the Amalekites is a repeated attempt to kill the Israelites even though had do nothing to warrant such an attack. In fact, that article states that the Amalekites repeatedly attacked the Israelites for 200-400 years. I think he has other arguments that I can't remember off the top of my head.

It seems clear to me that the only justifiable argument people have is that they don't agree with the fact that women and children were killed as innocent bystanders. The main points that the dude makes in the article in this regard are:

• Criminal actions by parents always effect the lives of the children. For example, if I'm the head of the household and I decide to gamble my family's savings account away and am no longer able to provide food and shelter, my children and wife are effected by my poor decisions. If I decide to murder and am sent to jail then I would also put them in a precarious position. The difference is that in today's society we have the means to shelter individuals from some poor decisions that can act as a buffer. We have social services in place that can provide some type of support. Ancient Israel, and other civilizations for that matter, probably did not have access to such a luxury. To tie this into the story, Amalek and his men and their actions were directly responsible for the fate of those who depended on them.

• His second point, and one that gets more complicated, is that there's morally a huge difference between the dependents being killed as a punishment on them or as a direct consequence of the punishment on the fathers. I believe the author lists other scripture to tie this point in as well. So, in a sense, the children were killed as a consequence of the punishment of the fathers but it's not like this is anything new to a society. As a said earlier, we just have the means and social services to lessen the impact on the children.
I am glad that you took some time to read the article, however. I know many won't agree with his arguments or conclusions but at least you see a different side of things that non-Christians won't present.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So, for example, we wiped out the Iroquois 200-400 years ago, so they would be justified in destroying every one of us, right down the the children and babies? And that would not be genocide?

Ringer

Jar of Clay
So, for example, we wiped out the Iroquois 200-400 years ago, so they would be justified in destroying every one of us, right down the the children and babies? And that would not be genocide?

No, according to the stipulations presented in the article, that would more than likely be considered genocide because it's retributive. I will just anticipate your next question and give you the brief explanation as to why he doesn't feel this does not apply to what's being debated:
Retributive--is "undertaken to eliminate a real or potential threat", but again, these are "most likely to occur when one group dominates another group and fears its rebellion or when the other group actually rebels." The example given is that of the Hutu/Tutsi conflict in Rwanda. Again, this would not fit our case, since the Amalekites are NOT a part of Israel, or even under its control--for a 'rebellion' to be feared. The Amalekites had always been the aggressors against Israel, and Israel finally responded to this history.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
No, according to the stipulations presented in the article, that would more than likely be considered genocide because it's retributive.
But what the Bible actually says is that Amalek attacked Israel 300 years ago. It doesn't say anything about self-defense. In fact, the most common formulation in the Bible for destroying other people is, "This land that I gave you, destroy everything in it." Rarely anything about defending yourself. Other people are seen as evil just because they don't worship God. Kind of how we don't worship the Iroquois gods.

If he's saying the Amalekites were committing aggression against Israel, he's making that up. That's not what the Bible says. The definition of genocide has nothing to do with whether one group is under another's control. What the Bible says is, Amalek attacked us generations ago, so destroy them completely today, every man, woman, child and baby.

In any case, even if it was self-defense, how does that justify genocide? Genocide is never necessary for self-defense.

Last edited:

Poisonshady313

But what the Bible actually says is that Amalek attacked Israel 300 years ago. It doesn't say anything about self-defense. In fact, the most common formulation in the Bible for destroying other people is, "This land that I gave you, destroy everything in it." Rarely anything about defending yourself. Other people are seen as evil just because they don't worship God. Kind of how we don't worship the Iroquois gods.
Actually, those who would live as peaceful neighbors with Israel were not destroyed. The Girga****es were not destroyed. Puts a wrench in your "destroy everything in it" theory.

A book can only ever be so long. Some details are going to be left out. So, you can choose to believe that God delights in war, or that there must have been a real reason to condemn whole nations.

What the Bible says is, Amalek attacked us generations ago, so destroy them completely today, every man, woman, child and baby.

What the Bible says is, "God said to Moses, "Write this as a remembrance in the Book an recite it in the ears of Joshua, that I shall surely erase the memory of Amalek from under the heavens." Moses built an altar and called its name "God is MyvMiracle"; and he said "For the hand is on the throne of God: God maintains a war against Amalek, from generation to generation."

And it says "Samuel said (to Agag, King of Amalek), Just as your sword made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women!"

You can choose not to believe it, because the Bible doesn't spend a chapter on the evilness of the nation Amalek.... but this wasn't an innocent nation. It is considered the leader in evil.

And because Saul failed to kill them all, it is said that the some of the worst perpetrators of evil are descended from Amalek.. including Haman from the book of Esther, and Adolf Hitler.

gnostic

The Lost One
Poisonshady313 said:
What the Bible says is, "God said to Moses, "Write this as a remembrance in the Book an recite it in the ears of Joshua, that I shall surely erase the memory of Amalek from under the heavens." Moses built an altar and called its name "God is MyvMiracle"; and he said "For the hand is on the throne of God: God maintains a war against Amalek, from generation to generation."

And it says "Samuel said (to Agag, King of Amalek), Just as your sword made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women!"

You can choose not to believe it, because the Bible doesn't spend a chapter on the evilness of the nation Amalek.... but this wasn't an innocent nation. It is considered the leader in evil.

And because Saul failed to kill them all, it is said that the some of the worst perpetrators of evil are descended from Amalek.. including Haman from the book of Esther, and Adolf Hitler.

I do see your points.

Perhaps that the Amalek nation or its leader was evil, but we don't know that for sure, one way or another. 1 Samuel is our only source with regards to the genocide, but there's no records of Amalek's evilness apart from 1 Samuel and in Exodus. Nothing indicated except what Samuel said (on behalf of God) that he was punishing the Amalekites for what happen in Moses' time (in the Exodus). Everything is pure speculation.

Keith's argument seemed to be that this reference to God's commandment for the genocide to be false...that they could have committed genocide for their own reason, and not because God commanded them to do so. To me, that's speculation; nothing more, nothing less.

Carico's argument is that everything happened the way it did - as being historical and factual, when he or she could provide any evidence to prove his or her points, and hence calling everyone "liars", which is really tiresome.

I understand your points, except that there are no evidences to support that the Amalekites of Saul's and Samuel's generation of being "evil", except that the "evil" was committed in their ancestor's time (Moses') and not in their time.

Perhaps, this whole thing, with regards to the Amalekite genocide was simply a test of Saul's OBEDIENCE, and that Saul failed, hence his downfall. And this test has precedences on a few occasions. Other tests included:

• Forbidding Adam and Eve from eating the tree, seemed to be test of obedience, which they failed.
  • God ordering Abraham to sacrifice Isaac is a test of his obedience, loyalty and faith. Abraham passed, without killing his son.
  • God testing Job's faith, using Satan as his agent.
There are possibly more, but I can't think straight at the moment, because I have nasty cold. :(

These are the ones that I could think of, because they stand out as each being a test.

Using genocide to test someone is a bit on the "extreme side", but clearly it is a possibility in 1 Samuel 15. Clearly Saul failed, and that set in motion where David eventually became king, and Saul became insane with paranoia and excessive jealousy and lost his kingship. That's the whole point of 1 Samuel.

I think Keithnurse is missing the point of the whole 1 Samuel, that the theme of 1 Samuel is how Saul's lost divine favor was David's gain, because if God didn't order the genocide, then the entire story would be changed.

Poisonshady313

I do see your points.

Perhaps that the Amalek nation or its leader was evil, but we don't know that for sure, one way or another. 1 Samuel is our only source with regards to the genocide, but there's no records of Amalek's evilness apart from 1 Samuel and in Exodus. Nothing indicated except what Samuel said (on behalf of God) that he was punishing the Amalekites for what happen in Moses' time (in the Exodus). Everything is pure speculation.
Judges records a tendency of the people of Amalek to destroy the crops sown by Israel... something particularly devastating to desert dwelling people. Though, for what it's worth, it was mentioned early on that Amalek would be destroyed eventually (which is to say, not immediately).

Speculation, maybe... but most reasonable... i.e. not far fetched... that these people didn't do something bad once, but had a tendency to be the epitome of evil.

Especially when you consider that a descendant of King Agag, Haman, was nearly responsible for the extermination of the entire Jewish people in the book of Esther... confirms that Amalek's hatred for Israel wasn't a one time episode.

gnostic

The Lost One
Especially when you consider that a descendant of King Agag, Haman, was nearly responsible for the extermination of the entire Jewish people in the book of Esther... confirms that Amalek's hatred for Israel wasn't a one time episode.
I have not read the book of Esther since I was in my late teen or early 20's.

As to the Judges, well according to this book, God allowed the Amalekites, along with other hostile neighbours to attack and conquer Israel, whenever the Israelites stray from him (god). That being the case (not that I believe the biblical events) that Amalekites didn't do out of their evilness, but that Israel's own evilness, or sinful nature, brought about their own downfall, each time they worshipped foreign gods, and rescued by one judge or another, when they worship him again.

Poisonshady313

I have not read the book of Esther since I was in my late teen or early 20's.

As to the Judges, well according to this book, God allowed the Amalekites, along with other hostile neighbours to attack and conquer Israel, whenever the Israelites stray from him (god). That being the case (not that I believe the biblical events) that Amalekites didn't do out of their evilness, but that Israel's own evilness, or sinful nature, brought about their own downfall, each time they worshipped foreign gods, and rescued by one judge or another, when they worship him again.

God has a tendency to judge those who harm Israel, even if they were allowed to do so to punish Israel.

Consider Egypt being punished, though it was said by God that they'd be enslaved their.

Fortunato

Honest
I think the part that he was arguing was that the Amalekites weren't be targeted because they were Amalekites. In other words, Israel didn't attack without provocation or justification. We don't see that trend with what is defined as genocide today. For instance, we consider what the Jewish people endured as an attempt at genocide because they didn't act in any way to justify being exterminated at the hands of the Nazis. The other example given is the Hutus and the Tutsis in Rwanda because they were both internal groups within their own country and one of the groups had the control of the government to carry out such an attack. What we find with the case of the Amalekites is a repeated attempt to kill the Israelites even though had do nothing to warrant such an attack. In fact, that article states that the Amalekites repeatedly attacked the Israelites for 200-400 years. I think he has other arguments that I can't remember off the top of my head.

It seems clear to me that the only justifiable argument people have is that they don't agree with the fact that women and children were killed as innocent bystanders. The main points that the dude makes in the article in this regard are:

• Criminal actions by parents always effect the lives of the children. For example, if I'm the head of the household and I decide to gamble my family's savings account away and am no longer able to provide food and shelter, my children and wife are effected by my poor decisions. If I decide to murder and am sent to jail then I would also put them in a precarious position. The difference is that in today's society we have the means to shelter individuals from some poor decisions that can act as a buffer. We have social services in place that can provide some type of support. Ancient Israel, and other civilizations for that matter, probably did not have access to such a luxury. To tie this into the story, Amalek and his men and their actions were directly responsible for the fate of those who depended on them.

• His second point, and one that gets more complicated, is that there's morally a huge difference between the dependents being killed as a punishment on them or as a direct consequence of the punishment on the fathers. I believe the author lists other scripture to tie this point in as well. So, in a sense, the children were killed as a consequence of the punishment of the fathers but it's not like this is anything new to a society. As a said earlier, we just have the means and social services to lessen the impact on the children.
I am glad that you took some time to read the article, however. I know many won't agree with his arguments or conclusions but at least you see a different side of things that non-Christians won't present.

You're right about it being a very long and well researched article (over 20,000 words). There are many interesting points that he brings up, but he doesn't do a very good job of really tying them all together and actually ends up contradicting himself.

Of the 4 types of genocide, he mentions one called retributive. Here's his description:
"Retributive--is undertaken to eliminate a real or potential threat"
Then about 10,000 words later he mentions that Israel was threatened by Amalek:
"For Israel EVER to enjoy a moment's peace in the land of promise, Amalek must be rendered non-hostile. Without some kind of self-defense action on the part of Israel, Amalek would simply continue inflicting 'active suffering' on Israel's families, their food, their freedom. Something had to be done--somehow Amalek must be stopped."​
Israel then proceeds to attack Amalek (from NIV 1 Sam 15:3):
"Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."
The U.N. definition for genocide is (taken from Wikipedia):
"...any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."​
An ethnic group is defined as (taken from Merriam Webster):
"groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background."​
The Encylcopedia Brittanica defines the Amalekites as:
"...an ancient nomadic tribe..."​
It would therefore seem to me that based on points which Glenn Miller brings up in his own article and also our current definition of the terms, that Isreal did in fact commit genocide against the Amalekites. The fact that the Amalekites were a threat to Israel does not absolve them of their actions. Nowhere in the U.N. definition or articles could I find any mention that genocide might be OK in a retributive sense. I realize in the article that he has a different view on this and he spends a considerable amount of text explaining it (much more than I plan on giving in this rebuttal which is already too long), but none of what he says jives with the actual definition of genocide.

As you mentioned in your response, Glenn Miller also attempts to portray the murder of children and infants as not a punishment on them, but as a consequence of the threat that their fathers posed to Israel. His reasoning goes like this: Amalek posed a threat to Israel, the only way to address this danger was by murdering ALL of the Amalekite men, consequently you might as well murder everyone else rather than have them wander in the desert and die of thirst or starvation! This type of thinking is abhorrent and reminds me of the cold callous logic which lead to the final solution from WWII. Murdering these children was in no way merciful or moral, it just completed the act of genocide.

I'm sorry for the length of this post. If you've read this far, just imagine this: Glenn Miller's article is 40 times longer than this is and he ends up with the wrong conclusion!:rolleyes:

gnostic

The Lost One
The women and children were not killed simply because they were bystanders. They were killed because Samuel, a prophet of god, gave specific and explicit order to Saul that women and children were not to be spared during the genocide. (1 Samuel 15:1-3, 18)

1 Samuel 15:18 said:
...and he sent you out with order to destroy those wicked people of Amalek. He told you to fight until you had killed them all.

1 Samuel 15:18 confirmed 1 Samuel 15:1-3, which was to kill everyone (women, children and even infants), as well as killing all the animals.

Christians can write what they think, but they can't change the fact that God had ordered the genocide, and God had punished Saul for not killing the king and all the livestock. God didn't punish Saul because the women and children were killed, but because Saul's men did not kill the best sheep and cattle, which was used to sacrifice to god at Gilgal. The sacrifices did not appease god. (1 Samuel 15:10-23)

It would seem that god favor obedience more than sacrifices of the best sheep and cattle or forgiveness.

keithnurse

If God did order the Amalekite genocide, then God was wrong to do so. The religious believers will probably say "if god ordered the genocide then God must have had good reasons, such as knowing that ALL the Amalekites were evil, including the infants". To me, to say ALL the Amalekites were evil and deserved to die is an unverifiable claim. Even to say God ordered the genocide is an unverifiable claim. Even if the Amalekites attacked the Israelites how does that make it ok to kill all the infants and children too?