• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Zimmerman Verdict: NOT GUILTY

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Because self-defense is legal.
Given the fact that he didnt get thrown in jail I am assuming they determined what he did was legal - my question is why was he not found guilty of manslaughter?

What is the difference in US law between 'self defence' and manslaughter?

I ask because I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaughter_(United_States_law) and really cannot see how it would not apply, now clearly wiki is less than a perfect guide to such a complex issue, but it does intrigue me so thus the question.

Last edited:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Givent he fact that he didnt get thrown in jail I am assuming they determined what he did was legal - my question is why was he not found guilty of manslaughter?

What is the difference in US law between 'self defence' and manslaughter?

Manslaughter is when you are the aggressor and had intent to harm but not kill, and the person ended up dead. Self-defense is when you are defending yourself from the aggressor.

Huey09

He who struggles with God
If I had kids I would teach them to use common sense. Trayvon Martin should have known better than to start that fight.
A fight with who? A wanna be cop who wanted to be The punisher?:sarcastic Also what common sense would be applied in that situation. Or are we thinking about this from a different social class? For example many middle class Americans first reaction to trouble is to call the police. People from the ghetto who regularly run into corrupt cops who treat them like animals and are told from the crib till they can walk that police are bad. What do they do?:shrug:

Poisonshady313

A fight with who?
The creepy guy following him.

A wanna be cop who wanted to be The punisher?

Emotional nonsense used by the prosecution. Nothing justified Martin attacking Zimmerman.

Or are we thinking about this from a different social class? For example many middle class Americans first reaction to trouble is to call the police. People from the ghetto who regularly run into corrupt cops who treat them like animals and are told from the crib till they can walk that police are bad. What do they do?:shrug:

He should have ran back to his father's girlfriend's house.

Best case scenario, the cops show up to meet Zimmerman, they say "show's over, nothing to see here."

Worst case scenario, Zimmerman breaks into Martin's place, and Martin justifiably cracks Zimmerman's skull with a baseball bat.

Either way, Trayvon lives.

Unfortunately, Trayvon chose to confront and attack Zimmerman. And we know how that turned out.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
A fight with who? A wanna be cop who wanted to be The punisher?:sarcastic Also what common sense would be applied in that situation. Or are we thinking about this from a different social class? For example many middle class Americans first reaction to trouble is to call the police. People from the ghetto who regularly run into corrupt cops who treat them like animals and are told from the crib till they can walk that police are bad. What do they do?:shrug:

He could have just gone home. There were 4 minutes in between the police call and the fight; that's more than enough time to walk away. Instead Martin decided to confront Zimmerman, and as a result of his stupid decision he's now dead.

I'm one of those kids who was raised with distrust of the police; I still refuse to call them for anything now. I've managed not to start a fight that gets me killed so far because I have sense; I think my kids are gonna be OK.

FranklinMichaelV.3

The creepy guy following him.

Emotional nonsense used by the prosecution. Nothing justified Martin attacking Zimmerman.

He should have ran back to his father's girlfriend's house.

Best case scenario, the cops show up to meet Zimmerman, they say "show's over, nothing to see here."

Worst case scenario, Zimmerman breaks into Martin's place, and Martin justifiably cracks Zimmerman's skull with a baseball bat.

Either way, Trayvon lives.

Unfortunately, Trayvon chose to confront and attack Zimmerman. And we know how that turned out.

Sounds like Trayvon was standing his ground to me...larger individual approaches you from a car, wielding a weapon...I fear for my life...I suppose in that case I should just lay down....

Poisonshady313

Sounds like Trayvon was standing his ground to me...larger individual approaches you from a car, wielding a weapon...I fear for my life...I suppose in that case I should just lay down....
1. Martin ran while Zimmerman was still in his car. Had he gone home, he'd be alive.
2. You have no proof Zimmerman's gun wasn't holstered until the moment he pulled it out to shoot him to save his own life.
3. You shouldn't lay down. You should run 70 yards in a straight line to your door while Zimmerman is in his car and can't see where you are going. End of story. You don't stick around and pick a fight. That's not standing his ground.... that's assault and battery.

FranklinMichaelV.3

1. Martin ran while Zimmerman was still in his car. Had he gone home, he'd be alive.
2. You have no proof Zimmerman's gun wasn't holstered until the moment he pulled it out to shoot him to save his own life.
3. You shouldn't lay down. You should run 70 yards in a straight line to your door while Zimmerman is in his car and can't see where you are going. End of story. You don't stick around and pick a fight. That's not standing his ground.... that's assault and battery.

You also don't follow an individual who you don't know and make assumptions.

You have no proof that his gun was holstered but we do know it was used. considering that he would be aware that he has a weapon, who do you think would be more fearful for their lives, the one with the weapon or the one without?

Not saying that the law wasn't in and of itself "correct' but it still doesn't make the law "right"

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
How about the fact is neither of you know and you are having debates about hypotheticals based on numerous assumptions you have made (lol on a religious forum? imagine that) and getting emotionally involved.

Hakuna Matata

Say it =_=

Hakuna Matata

Poisonshady313

Not criminal. Not threatening. No excuse for Martin to attack.

You have no proof that his gun was holstered but we do know it was used. considering that he would be aware that he has a weapon, who do you think would be more fearful for their lives, the one with the weapon or the one without?
What makes you think Trayvon knew Zimmerman was armed?

I contend that if Trayvon had a lick of sense, he probably only attacked because he thought Zimmerman was unarmed.

Otherwise, if he punched Zimmerman and straddled him knowing he was armed, he had a death wish. and it came true.

A

angellous_evangellous

This is completely irrelevant. He would be alive if Zimmerman had not followed him in the first place -- to say nothing of the *********** that followed.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

Not saying that the law wasn't in and of itself "correct' but it still doesn't make the law "right"

If the gun wasn't holstered, do you really think there would have been a fist fight? If so, Martin was dumber than even I thought.

FranklinMichaelV.3

If the gun wasn't holstered, do you really think there would have been a fist fight? If so, Martin was dumber than even I thought.

Fight or Flight instinct...not everyone flights.

I've had friends who have had guns pulled on them and they fought and I've had friends who ran away.

Until the situation occurs...how you react...isn't known.

Personally I would like to think I would fight...someone pulls a gun on me, they intend to kill me...running isn't going to change that.

Poisonshady313

This is completely irrelevant. He would be alive if Zimmerman had not followed him in the first place -- to say nothing of the *********** that followed.
Zimmerman could have followed him to his doorstep and Martin would still be alive. Nothing about Zimmerman following Martin made it ok for Martin to attack Zimmerman.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Zimmerman's Hispanic. The media depicted him as a white man to create a race issue that didn't exist in the first place.

I am Black.....and I cannot stand socializing or talking to black people. I live in a Black neighborhood and entirely avoid talking to black people or befriending blacks.

I can assure you that inner racism DOES exist. I am not saying I am a traitor to my race but I have never in my life had anything in common with an African American or had the capacity to socialize with one.

I doubt Zimmerman is a true racist although his actions did involve racism. I would have been no different in his situation.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Zimmerman could have followed him to his doorstep and Martin would still be alive. Nothing about Zimmerman following Martin made it ok for Martin to attack Zimmerman.

Your story is really falling apart considering your basing it off the "facts" of a man who changed his case 10 times almost and your picking the fragments and making your conclusion by rearrangement.

Poisonshady313

Fight or Flight instinct...not everyone flights.

I've had friends who have had guns pulled on them and they fought and I've had friends who ran away.

Until the situation occurs...how you react...isn't known.

Personally I would like to think I would fight...someone pulls a gun on me, they intend to kill me...running isn't going to change that.

Martin had already started running while Zimmerman was still in his car. All he had to do was keep going... 70 yards... less than a minute... in a straight line to his door.

"someone pulls a gun on me"... at what point did Zimmerman pull his gun? How do you know? What makes you think that he pulled his gun any earlier than the moment before he pulled the trigger?