• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming | Fact or Fiction?

How do you feel about Global Warming?

• Global Warming is a myth and the climate will stabilize soon.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Global Warming is happening but Humanity has nothing to do with it.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is partly to blame.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is mostly to blame.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is the only cause.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Don’t know, don’t care.

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

shawn001

Again, TREND. Look at the actual temperature averages for the past decade. Do they consistently RISE? No. That's because there's no observed warming trend. The temperatures just stayed high, but on average? No warming. A warming TREND means that on average each year was warmer than the one before. That's not what we see. Is there an explanation for this? Sure: Hansen (2010) has a whole study on why we don't see the warming trend there. The question again is why did Hansen have to explain this in 2010? We've had climate models much earlier. We had predictions with every IPCC report. So why didn't our models predict that the "warming trend" would be obscured by natural forcing? Because they aren't good enough, that's why.

Oh, and why, I wonder, is the Goddard Institute for Space Studies using surface records rather than their own satellites? It's well known that the surface data is biased not only by the standard instrumental problems (as are all measuring instruments) but also because they measure local temperatures which must be subtly averaged (which is why the global surface data sets differ), and which are biased by surface processes. AGW theory also predicts that we should see greater warming in the lower troposphere. So why isn't NASA and the GISS using data which records lower troposphere temperatures?

"A warming TREND means that on average each year was warmer than the one before."

Trend does not mean each year has to be hotter then the next! They know each year can flutuate.

Definition of TREND
intransitive verb
a : to extend in a general direction : follow a general course <mountain ranges trending north and south> b : to veer in a new direction : bend <a coastline that trends westward>
a : to show a tendency : incline <prices trending upward>
Trend - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

What is the scientific concensus on climate change?
The truth is that the scientific community has reached a consensus on climate change. The buildup of heat-trapping emissions from burning fossil fuels and clearing forests is changing the climate, posing significant risks to our well-being. Reducing emissions and preparing for unavoidable changes would greatly reduce those risks. That is the conclusion of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the world's leading scientific societies, and the overwhelming majority of practicing climate scientists.

Name one national or major scientific institution anywhere in the world that disputes the theory of anthropogenic climate change?

You haven't named one yet.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
i do not remeber what i voted but i think its an acient meme datting back to the end of the ice age.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"A warming TREND means that on average each year was warmer than the one before."

Trend does not mean each year has to be hotter then the next! They know each year can flutuate.

Definition of TREND
intransitive verb
a : to extend in a general direction : follow a general course <mountain ranges trending north and south> b : to veer in a new direction : bend <a coastline that trends westward>
a : to show a tendency : incline <prices trending upward>
Trend - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
That's precisely my point. A tendency of incline. Except over the past 10+ years, our observational record don't show this. There is NOT significant average increase. So you can go on and one quote mining from this or that sorce about how hot 2011 was (despite an utter lack of familiarity with the science involved in constructing these data sets), but it will never make it a trend. And we can see from the satellite data, and even HadCRU, that there is no trend. That's why studies like Hansen (2010) exist. To explain why there is warming but it's obscured.

However, as you are neither interested in truth, objectivity, or science. I eagerly await the next series of mined quotes from a google search so that you can avoid reading scientific literature.

What is the scientific concensus on climate change?
What was the scientific consensus on phsyics before quantum physics fundamentally altered what is now referred to as classical mechanics? What was the "consensus" on eugenics? Science isn't about consensus, and most of it's history has involved radical shifts in consensus views (not always based on evidence either).

Consensus counts for nothing if that same consensus lacks the ability to model the system they are trying to explain and has to explain most (if not all) observational evidence in hindsight because they lacked the understanding of the system to predict its behavior.

The truth is that the scientific community has reached a consensus on climate change.
The scientific community has reached a consensus on other things which were completely wrong as well. They've also switched from one to another without evidence. The truth is the "scientific community" continues to conduct research which shows results which conflict with mainstream AGW theory. As you don't read the research, because running to google to find whatever you can to support the views you hold is so much more convenient, you wouldn't know.

That is the conclusion of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences
No, it isn't. I first noticed this thread because of a post about a nobel-prize winning physicist resigning from an the group he had belonged to because the upper echelons had made such a statement. The NAS doesn't need the consent of even most of it's members to release such statements.

the overwhelming majority of practicing climate scientists.
You have no clue if it's the "overwhelming majority." Even a basic understanding of social & behavioral methodology behind survey research (of the type conducted to determine who supports mainstream AGW) would lead an unbiased individual to conclude that what is out there is shoddily done. It's probably not only the majority view, but a large majority. However, again this doesn't matter. It doesn't even matter if the theory is largely right. What matters is the accuracy of our understanding of the climate system, because only that will allow us to know where to start. But as our models have consistently FAILED, and there continues to be published, peer-reviewed research pointing to flaws in virtually every aspect of mainstream AGW theory, we clearly don't have this understanding.

You haven't named one yet.
Name one which rejected classical mechanics prior to quantum physics. Name one which accepted the biomedical model of mental health prior to the publication of the DSM-III (which had little to no actual scientific research behind it). Tell me how many organizations and scientists publicly supported eugenics before the horrors of the holocaust. Then explain to me why it matters what "organizations" publicly claim.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And like the new information coming in from ocean research shows, a lot of discrepancies in modelling represent that time lag between ocean heating affects the atmosphere.

When it comes to modelling, I would say that any model -- no matter how well its internal logic works, is of less value than real, physical evidence. ['quote]
"All models are wrong, but some are useful." True enough The problem with "real, physical evidence" is that 1) you still need to explain it and 2) it can't enable you to predict.

The only way we can say what any system will do over time, whether that system is a computer program, an arrow shot straight upward into the air, or the climate, is through some model. For the arrow, I need to know how "strong" the bow was (or how fast the arrow was going when it was shot), the shape of the arrow, the force of gravity, etc. I plug these all into an equation (or model), and I can know that if the arrow is shot at X angle at time Y, it will hit spot Z at some time Y+n seconds. The same is true for climate. If I want to know what will happen over time to the oceans, to the global temperature, or to anything, I need to take my obervations and theories and plug them into equations. This enables me to calculate what will occur, albeit normally within a certain margin of error.

Additionally, AGW theory IS itself a model in a very real sense. It is one way to explain (among however many possible explanations, ranging from the extremely implausibe like really we're all in the matrix to the much more plausible) what our "real observations" mean. That is, given any set of meaurements, in order to know what caused the measurements and what will happen to the thing I was meaasuring over time, I need a model. If I have a set of temperature readings that I work in to a globel annual average, this is useless unless I have some model which tells my what it means. Our current model explains the readings in a number of ways, but the most important one involves and increase caused by co2 emissions trapping heat in the troposphere and (much more importantly) causing a positive feedback in other systems like clouds and water vapor which drive up the temperature in the lower troposphere even more. The oceans, like the surface, are an "after the fact" kind of thing. They retain much more heat in complex ways, of course, but our theory still requires that the lower troposphere heat more than the surface. If it's the other way around, then the surface temperatures cannot be solely the result of global warming. So either our surface records are wrong, or our tropospheric records are wrong, or our theory is wrong (in some way or another), or any of the above. The point is no measurements are useful unless I have some model to explain what they mean, and I can't predict what will happen over time without a model either.

people still moved about disregarding Zeno, because the evidence from the real world led most rational people to assume that there must be a flaw in his logic or understanding of the world, rather than movement.

That's true. We don't understand a lot of what goes on, from thought to the universe. Yet it happens. However, as you point out, we don't what to just "let things happen." We want to do something about it. The question is what and why.

I read a report on a psychology study last year that discovered a key difference between the basic categories of liberals and conservatives. Liberals, who tend to be more flexible and adaptable regarding changing beliefs, are more likely to agree with the scientific consensus on topics ranging from global warming to evolution, when they are better educated or learn more about the subject. The research discovered a strange paradox in conservatives however: the conservative is more likely to agree with science when they are less informed, and less likely to agree and hold to alternative theories if they have higher education.
What that suggests is that liberals are sheep and conservatives are sheep as well unless they are better educated. Otherwise everybody just believes what they're told. However, I'd have to read the study.

It's been noted for some time now that humans are not completely rational creatures, and finding truth is more than evaluating evidence -- it also depends highly on whether we have strong emotional attachments to certain belief systems.
That's true in science as well. And not just to ideologies like religion, politics, environmentalism, etc., but to theory. The more a given theory tends to become the dominant view, the more scientists tend to reject evidence, theories, etc., which don't support the dominant view.

That is an extremely dangerous assumption to draw, based on all of the coral bleaching, extinctions of shellfish in many zones, and the general decline in fish stocks all around the world.

You have to understand that a lot of the studies concerning these phenomena don't actually work with empirical data (they don't go out there and study what's happening in a particular location). They work by taking the empirical data of others, a general theory, and then using this to build equations which tell them what is happening globablly and what will happen. There are absolutely numerous studies which involve observing what happens to aquatic life in a particular place over time which show what you discuss above. Then there are the observational studies which contradict those findings (the one I gave was only one such example). And that's without factoring in the issue of causation with any observational study. Aquatic life WILL change. It always has, long before humans. And our actions WILL contribute to these thanges.

I have to point out that we have no way of knowing if a species extinction will affect us.

That's true. However, we know that species have become extinct during the entire time humans have existed on this planet.

And my point was that the JudeoChristian separation of man and nature permeates secular thought as well.

That was my point. The whole idea of environmentalism involves a seperation of man and nature. It looks at the natural world as if humans are doing something to it, rather than that they are a part of it. So many environmental actions had nothing to do with our species (e.g., stopping hunters from killing elephants for their tusks or tigers for sport or whales for oil or perfume) but because we were interested in protecting "nature." That's a view from outside of nature. It's a way of looking at a world which humans have to protect. You can watch a nature documentary which shows lions killing a baby elephant, which means someone sat their filming and watching it happen. If a human came on scene and shot the baby elephant instead, we wouldn't just be upset, that individual would be punished if possible. I'm not saying that holding ourselves to a different standard like this is wrong, just that it is not looking at us as a part of nature, but as a force acting on nature. We look at anthropogenic emissions as changing nature, because we think of them as unnatural, artificial productions. Why? Because we made them, which makes them artificial, not natural, because we don't think of the ways in which we adapt our enviornment to suit ourselves as natural (the way, for example, a beaver can alter an entire ecosystem). Again, this is a view of humans being seperated from nature, somehow above it, rather than nothing other than a part of it.

Trey of Diamonds

Ocean Acidification to Hit 300-Million-Year Max

A new paper in Science examines the geologic record for context relating to ocean acidification, a lowering of the pH driven by the increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The research group (twenty-one scientists from nearly as many different universities) reviewed the evidence from past known or suspected intervals of ocean acidification. The work provides perspective on the current trend as well as the potential consequences. They find that the current rate of ocean acidification puts us on a track that, if continued, would likely be unprecedented in last 300 million years.

work in progress

Work in progress

Oceans' acidic shift may be fastest in 300 million years

Oceans' acidic shift may be fastest in 300 million years - Yahoo! News
Thanks. It just goes to show how fast the flow of information moves these days! I saw that Reuters story after I posted comments yesterday. I guess it's only common sense that ocean acidification would be proceeding at a faster rate than past events, like the PETM, considering that a paleoclimate study of the increase in atmospheric CO2 during the PETM showed that the rate of increase in atmospheric carbon is at least five times faster in the modern era, depending on whether we are focusing our attention on CO2 or methane increase as the source to base possible modelling scenarios for explaining the data:
The authors find that the maximum PETM rate of emission for organic carbon as the source is equivalent to 6.2 billion tonnes of CO2 per year, and for methane as the source, 1.1 billion tonnes of CO2 per year. For comparison: 2010 human-carbon emissions were 30.6 billion tonnes. So if organic carbon was the source, current emissions are almost 5 times faster than the PETM, and if methane, current emissions are rising 27 times faster.
CO2 Currently Rising Faster Than The PETM Extinction Event

work in progress

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." True enough The problem with "real, physical evidence" is that 1) you still need to explain it and 2) it can't enable you to predict.

The only way we can say what any system will do over time, whether that system is a computer program, an arrow shot straight upward into the air, or the climate, is through some model. For the arrow, I need to know how "strong" the bow was (or how fast the arrow was going when it was shot), the shape of the arrow, the force of gravity, etc. I plug these all into an equation (or model), and I can know that if the arrow is shot at X angle at time Y, it will hit spot Z at some time Y+n seconds. The same is true for climate. If I want to know what will happen over time to the oceans, to the global temperature, or to anything, I need to take my obervations and theories and plug them into equations. This enables me to calculate what will occur, albeit normally within a certain margin of error.
Yes, the models should be able to explain the data....I hear that's the whole point to developing a scientific hypothesis into a theory; but that shows me that the few climate scientists who have been arguing for low atmospheric sensitivity to greenhouse gas levels, are wrong every step of the way. Each time they come up with an idea to try to prove no relation between global average temperatures and carbon dioxide levels, new results shoot them down. But instead of abandoning the concept entirely, they keep coming up with new alternatives to base their claims on. It's more like they have the theory, and they are just going to keep searching for data to fit their pre-existing beliefs.

Additionally, AGW theory IS itself a model in a very real sense. It is one way to explain (among however many possible explanations, ranging from the extremely implausibe like really we're all in the matrix to the much more plausible) what our "real observations" mean. That is, given any set of meaurements, in order to know what caused the measurements and what will happen to the thing I was meaasuring over time, I need a model. If I have a set of temperature readings that I work in to a globel annual average, this is useless unless I have some model which tells my what it means. Our current model explains the readings in a number of ways, but the most important one involves and increase caused by co2 emissions trapping heat in the troposphere and (much more importantly) causing a positive feedback in other systems like clouds and water vapor which drive up the temperature in the lower troposphere even more. The oceans, like the surface, are an "after the fact" kind of thing. They retain much more heat in complex ways, of course, but our theory still requires that the lower troposphere heat more than the surface. If it's the other way around, then the surface temperatures cannot be solely the result of global warming. So either our surface records are wrong, or our tropospheric records are wrong, or our theory is wrong (in some way or another), or any of the above. The point is no measurements are useful unless I have some model to explain what they mean, and I can't predict what will happen over time without a model either.
But, even if the most often applied AGW theory was wrong, that would be an argument for developing a better theory, rather than claiming that there is no warming, or that the atmosphere has low sensitivity to CO2....something that hasn't been the case in the past, and would violate basic laws of physics, since carbon dioxide's capacity to absorb infrared radiation was known at least as far back as WWII -- when aeronautics engineers were trying to design supersonic aircraft. The so-called global warming skeptics don't have alternatives to explain: the accelerated melt of Arctic sea ice and melting permafrost; the increase in extreme weather events around the world; rising sea levels....all being the most obvious signs that the planet is changing in ways it never has before. Like I posted previously, it's pretty hard to argue that the Arctic isn't getting hotter, when shipping companies are sending exploratory vessels to plan out new Arctic shipping routes. There's debatable subjects, like how fast mountain glaciers are melting, or whether the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is going to collapse; but there are features of our changing world that are beyond argument now, and evidence that we have entered a new era: The Anthropocene.
That's true. We don't understand a lot of what goes on, from thought to the universe. Yet it happens. However, as you point out, we don't what to just "let things happen." We want to do something about it. The question is what and why.
So far, I haven't read anything from climate change skeptics on economics or politics that goes beyond the libertarian...every man for himself approach. I'm not even satisfied that "green capitalists" are taking an honest approach to environmental problems, let alone those who argue for just letting the market decide. In this day and age, when a small number of multinational corporations have more effective power than national governments, the "market" will decide to keep exploiting coal, gas and oil until they run out...or civilization collapses -- because fossil fuels are still provide the largest return on investment, and make the oil companies the most profitable corporations in the world....and certainly profitable enough to finance an elaborate and extensive array of media, policy-makers, university research, and public education, to deny evidence of climate change...or at least leave the public unsure if it is really happening. We went through this process before on a smaller scale with the campaigns against the theory of evolution, and the dangers of 2nd hand cigarette smoke; but this disinformation campaign is of a much greater scale than the previous strategies created by the Marshall Institute, Competitive Enterprise Institute, and the Heritage Foundation.

What that suggests is that liberals are sheep and conservatives are sheep as well unless they are better educated. Otherwise everybody just believes what they're told. However, I'd have to read the study.
Recently, the best quick source was a blog post written by Chris Mooney in Discover: Liberals, Conservatives, and Science | The Intersection | Discover Magazine which includes links to recent psychological research looking for different approaches to understanding between self-identified liberals and conservatives. An exhaustive analysis can be found in a book that is still posted free online in pdf by Robert Altemeyer: The Authoritarians which is primarily focused on the followers in authoritarian movements. Altemeyer contends that, although conservative and liberal tendencies are on a sliding scale that can vary with external events...like wars, terrorist attacks etc., or personal events in our lives....we are least authoritarian in our teenage years when we are trying to establish our own social identities, and become more conservative in our thinking when we start families and have young children -- but, Altemeyer finds that the authoritarian follower describes much, if not most of the approaches taken by the typical conservative: a greater need for order and structure in life than for freedom, greater likelihood to accept the teachings of accepted authorities etc.. When Altemeyer updated his book to include what was happening in the 2008 Presidential Election, his level of optimism increased slightly, but he still sees the future trends towards greater uncertainty and insecurity as increasing conservatism in America, and the continued decline of liberal ways of thinking.

That's true in science as well. And not just to ideologies like religion, politics, environmentalism, etc., but to theory. The more a given theory tends to become the dominant view, the more scientists tend to reject evidence, theories, etc., which don't support the dominant view.
Isn't there a famous quote among the scientific community that 'science progresses when department heads retire or die of old age?'

This coincides with the findings of many psychologists on how mental flexibility and openness to new ideas usually declines with age. It's been noted that many scientists, who were great innovators in the 20's, turn into the stodgy protectors of the established order when they become the leaders in the community. This was widely noted of Fred Hoyle, who was the principle founder of cosmology, but used his credibility to fight against the theory of expansion of the Universe, even coining the phrase "Big Bang" in an attempt to mock it. Similarly, Einstein revolutionized physics with Relativity, and then fought a lifelong battle against the most widely accepted theory of quantum mechanics, because it violated concepts of cause and effect, and dissemination of information that he considered essential. Right now, Richard Dawkins would be a current example in the field of biology, since after writing the "Selfish Gene" when he was young, he has used his name to fight the last three decades against evolutionary theories that are not gene-centric.

All that said, at least science has a method for clearing out bad ideas. If organized religions had something similar, we wouldn't have all of these social battles on life issues from contraception to euthanasia, sensible approaches to contraception, and an end to causing unnecessary anguish for the always present minority of the population that have some sort of same-sex attractions.

work in progress

You have to understand that a lot of the studies concerning these phenomena don't actually work with empirical data............
When the empirical data discoveries new reasons to be alarmed about increasing ocean acidification -- like the changes to water densities that foul up fish sonar, it's time to consider there is enough evidence to make it as big an issue as global warming on land....and especially after that latest report finding that acidification is also show that the rate of change to ph is greater than during the PETM.

That's true. However, we know that species have become extinct during the entire time humans have existed on this planet.
Animal and plant species come and go, but over the last 10 years there has been one study after another finding an alarming increase in the rates of extinction and biodiversity loss among mammals, reptiles, amphibians and even insects. This is the strongest reason to take a gaia approach to how the biosphere operates. Up till now, even those who call themselves environmentalists, have payed little attention to the increasing amount of land taken for agriculture...especially monocropping. We may already be using too much land to maintain the natural balance.

That was my point. The whole idea of environmentalism involves a seperation of man and nature. It looks at the natural world as if humans are doing something to it, rather than that they are a part of it.
This statement has it exactly backwards. It is because we have been acting with the assumption of being separate and apart from nature, that we have carried on with such disregard for the consequences of burning out forests, dumping toxic wastes, fouling the air, and driving many species into extinction. It wasn't until a little more than a century ago, with the foul air and water in the industrial cities of England, that anyone thought of consequences of this kind of economic activity. In the East, where they held on to a concept of interconnectedness (at least in theory), the change from static, unchanging societies in Japan, China and India, also included a huge shift in cultural values imported from the WEst, that they may or may not want to acknowledge. There certainly are advantages to many new developments (at least for some of the population), but they are reaping the environmental whirlwind right now in China and India, with rapid losses of topsoil and declines in available fresh water. America had a lot of open land and available resources to "grow" the economy. Overcrowded nations that are already

So many environmental actions had nothing to do with our species (e.g., stopping hunters from killing elephants for their tusks or tigers for sport or whales for oil or perfume) but because we were interested in protecting "nature."
There may be questions regarding what to protect, and what not to waste attention on, but even those species selected for special consideration serve their roles in nature. It's typical of the outsider approach to try to make a reductionist evaluation of what is, and what is not valuable in nature.

That's a view from outside of nature. It's a way of looking at a world which humans have to protect. You can watch a nature documentary which shows lions killing a baby elephant, which means someone sat their filming and watching it happen. If a human came on scene and shot the baby elephant instead, we wouldn't just be upset, that individual would be punished if possible. I'm not saying that holding ourselves to a different standard like this is wrong, just that it is not looking at us as a part of nature, but as a force acting on nature.
Most of the people who would be horrified by a man deliberately killing the baby elephant, would also feel the same about the lion. But, the difference is that the lion has no choice about its actions, where as the human does. The lion has to kill or die of starvation, whereas we have the luxury of killing for sport. For that matter, there is not even an ethical argument for eating meat or dairy consumption because the scale of animal suffering in factory farming goes lightyears beyond what the average hunter does in the woods. The hunter doesn't breed animals in ways that increases there suffering (like broiler and laying hens for example) just to make meat products at a lower cost. There are big reasons why a person can be prosecuted for just bringing a camera into one of these big meat-processing operations...and it boils down to not letting the consumer see how the sausage is made!

So, I think you are missing my basic point -- I'm not saying that we are not acting outside of nature, I am questioning whether we should continue to do so.

We look at anthropogenic emissions as changing nature, because we think of them as unnatural, artificial productions. Why? Because we made them, which makes them artificial, not natural, because we don't think of the ways in which we adapt our enviornment to suit ourselves as natural (the way, for example, a beaver can alter an entire ecosystem). Again, this is a view of humans being seperated from nature, somehow above it, rather than nothing other than a part of it.
There are two alternative approaches to understanding ecosystems and the natural world: a reductionist system of components, or a complex interwoven system where changes to one subsystem can cause unforseen changes to other natural systems. My criticism of the way things are done now, go beyond energy choices and carbon emissions, to questioning the consequences of using half of the Earth's land surface for agriculture, and having 7 billion people in the world aspiring to a Western level of consumption. Future survival of the human race is going to require a whole new way of thinking about many things, and a big part of the way they are handled today is that they are compartmentalized into separate issue silos, as if economic problems have nothing to do with environment or availability of natural resources. These problems cannot be treated separately.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
This is a very naive outlook. Just because a Jenga tower is still standing, doesn't mean it won't topple over any minute. Especially, when we have seen several smaller towers fall already.

That was my point. The whole idea of environmentalism involves a seperation of man and nature.
This is utterly false.
Environmentalism is about realizing that we are part of nature and reducing the unnecessary negative impacts we have on our environment.

It looks at the natural world as if humans are doing something to it, rather than that they are a part of it.
Humans do do "something" to it... but the idea that ecologists/environmentalists say we aren't part of it is totally false and misleading.
Every species does "something"... ecology is all about understanding what that "something" is and environmentalism is about making sure that our "something" doesn't adversely effect the system needlessly.

So many environmental actions had nothing to do with our species (e.g., stopping hunters from killing elephants for their tusks or tigers for sport or whales for oil or perfume) but because we were interested in protecting "nature." That's a view from outside of nature. It's a way of looking at a world which humans have to protect.
No, it's a realization that we need to control our actions because we are the species with the greatest capacity to alter the environment and to drive species to extinction. It's also the realization that our survival depends on these environments in several ways from their roles in biofiltration to "banking" natural resources to the simple pleasure of visiting them.
You do realize why the national park systems were established right? It wasn't simply about "protecting nature", though that was a major part of the discussion.
Protecting "nature" is mostly an economic decision, not a "humans need to protect nature" decision.
Mangrove forests and coral reefs are protected to increase habitat needed for commercial species of fish to reproduce... to protect a valuable economic resource.
Saving the elephants from extinction by poaching was/is about protecting valuable ecotourism and legal hunting fees as much as it was about our "protecting" elephants. Live elephants are worth far more money than dead ones.
Whaling "stopped" not because people wanted to save the whales but because they had become unreliable as a resource. No one wanted whale products when petroleum and other organic alternatives became cheaper and easier to produce. The only countries that still whale do so because there is still a perceived market for the product and to be contrarian.
It would be nice if our only ambition was to "protect nature" but such a view is naive at best.

You can watch a nature documentary which shows lions killing a baby elephant, which means someone sat their filming and watching it happen. If a human came on scene and shot the baby elephant instead, we wouldn't just be upset, that individual would be punished if possible. I'm not saying that holding ourselves to a different standard like this is wrong, just that it is not looking at us as a part of nature, but as a force acting on nature.
Nature documentary is an extremely myopic source to base your viewpoint. The vast majority of environmentalism (and a significant chunk of ecology research) focuses on how humans interact with the environment and how we can balance our needs with the needs of other species.

We look at anthropogenic emissions as changing nature, because we think of them as unnatural, artificial productions. Why? Because we made them, which makes them artificial, not natural, because we don't think of the ways in which we adapt our enviornment to suit ourselves as natural (the way, for example, a beaver can alter an entire ecosystem). Again, this is a view of humans being seperated from nature, somehow above it, rather than nothing other than a part of it.
No, it's because they are anthropogenic... they wouldn't be entering the atmosphere without our direct action.
Natural simply means non-anthropogenic... not because we are not part of nature, but because we need a way to classify a stochastic event like a hurricane or wildfire from a controlled event like a car or nuclear bomb. We can't control a hurricane, we can control a nuclear bomb. :cool:

You are taking a particular definition of the word "Natural" way too literally in this discussion... which seems to be a common problem. Not unlike the way some people take the slang definition of the word "theory" too literally in discussions of evolution.

wa:do

work in progress

Good posts work in progress and painted wolf.

FYI

Shrinking Sky! Cloud Tops Dropping Closer to Earth, NASA Satellite Finds

Shrinking Sky! Cloud Tops Dropping Closer to Earth, NASA Satellite Finds | Atmospheric Science & Climate Change | Cloud Formation & Height | LiveScience
Thanks for keeping this thread alive btw:). I'm a little disheartened about how little interest there is on climate change and environment in general, even though every other issue that gets tossed around on these forums, like the wars, threats of wars, economic problems, food shortages, religious strife etc. can be linked to the growing climate crisis around the world.

I'll make sure I have something to post tomorrow.

shawn001

Thanks for keeping this thread alive btw:). I'm a little disheartened about how little interest there is on climate change and environment in general, even though every other issue that gets tossed around on these forums, like the wars, threats of wars, economic problems, food shortages, religious strife etc. can be linked to the growing climate crisis around the world.

I'll make sure I have something to post tomorrow.

Work in progress. Not that this is directly related although it might be, but interesting none the less.

Behemoth Antarctic Algae Bloom Seen from Space

"Algae is the base of the ocean food chain, and in the Southern Ocean, as is the case elsewhere, they take up the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide as they photosynthesize and grow."

Behemoth Antarctic Algae Bloom Seen from Space | Satellite Photos | LiveScience

work in progress

Work in progress. Not that this is directly related although it might be, but interesting none the less.

Behemoth Antarctic Algae Bloom Seen from Space

"Algae is the base of the ocean food chain, and in the Southern Ocean, as is the case elsewhere, they take up the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide as they photosynthesize and grow."

Behemoth Antarctic Algae Bloom Seen from Space | Satellite Photos | LiveScience
It would be interesting to know what the long term impact of this algae bloom would be. Will it just die back to normal levels after a few days or weeks?

In other climate-related news, it likely should come as no surprise to anyone living in North America that this has been one of the warmest winters ever. This is from Jeff Masters at the Weather Underground:
February is gone, and the non-winter of 2011 - 2012 is the history books as the fourth warmest in U.S. history, said NOAA's National Climatic Data Center yesterday. The winter average temperature of 36.8°F was just 0.4°F cooler than the warmest winter on record, the winter of 1999 - 2000. If you lived in the Northern Plains, Midwest, Southeast and Northeast, it seemed like winter never really arrived this year--27 states in this region had top-ten warmest winters. Across the U.S., only New Mexico (41st coolest) and Alaska (35th coolest) had winter temperatures colder than average. According to NOAA's Climate Extremes Index, the percent area of the U.S. experiencing extremes in warm maximum temperatures (top 10% on record) was 49 percent--the 4th highest value since the index began being computed in 1911. Jackson, Kentucky, Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania, and Trenton, New Jersey all had their warmest winter on record.
What's especially of concern to farmers is that it has also been an exceptionally dry winter with little snow in most regions. Just below the entry on temp data, there is a post stating that it is also the third least snowy winter in the continental U.S. states.

work in progress

More news today on the climate front :Great Lakes ice coverage falls 71 percent over 40 years, researcher says

Great Lakes ice coverage declined an average of 71 percent over the past 40 years, according to a report from the American Meteorological Society.
The amount of decline varies year to year and lake to lake, according to the report's lead researcher, Jia Wang, an ice research climatologist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Mich.

The study doesn’t include the current winter, but satellite photos show that only about 5 percent of Great Lakes surface froze over this winter, the Detroit Free Press said. That’s down from years such as 1979, when there was as much as 94 percent ice coverage. On average, about 40 percent of the surfaces freeze over, the newspaper said.

I wonder if the lack of ice cover on the lakes has any connection with the wild swings in temperatures over the last couple of weeks!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
More news today on the climate front :Great Lakes ice coverage falls 71 percent over 40 years, researcher says

Great Lakes ice coverage declined an average of 71 percent over the past 40 years, according to a report from the American Meteorological Society.
The amount of decline varies year to year and lake to lake, according to the report's lead researcher, Jia Wang, an ice research climatologist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Mich.

The study doesn’t include the current winter, but satellite photos show that only about 5 percent of Great Lakes surface froze over this winter, the Detroit Free Press said. That’s down from years such as 1979, when there was as much as 94 percent ice coverage. On average, about 40 percent of the surfaces freeze over, the newspaper said.

I wonder if the lack of ice cover on the lakes has any connection with the wild swings in temperatures over the last couple of weeks!
A lot of it has to do with the La Nina cycle we are currently in.

Not that climate change isn't a factor, but it's an exaggerating factor rather than the primary cause. It makes what is going on worse.

wa:do

work in progress

Work in Porgress,

" I'm a little disheartened about how little interest there is on climate change and environment in general"

Me too.

Greenland icesheet more vulnerable than thought to warming

Study: Greenland ice sheet may melt completely with 1.6 degrees global warming
Wow, the good news just keeps on coming! It seems like it was just a few years ago, that the Arctic sea ice melting was something believed to be far away in the future...or at least for people living in the next century. 1.6 degrees warming is likely already on its way now....the ocean data indicates that there is at least 1 degree waiting to hit us already.

I seen a study a little while back that sea levels would rise 23 feet if the Greenland Ice Sheet completely melts. Whenever the East Antarctic Glacier goes (hopefully that's still far off) that's pretty much it for anything resembling civilization, as a complete melting of land ice and thermal expansion of the oceans would raise sea levels over 200 feet. That would take out any present coastal city, along with the most productive agricultural lands.