• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming | Fact or Fiction?

How do you feel about Global Warming?

• Global Warming is a myth and the climate will stabilize soon.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Global Warming is happening but Humanity has nothing to do with it.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is partly to blame.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is mostly to blame.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is the only cause.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Don’t know, don’t care.

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The glacier I'm most concerned with is the Kilimanjaro glacier. It provides a significant portion of the water for Kenya, Tanzania and other countries.

The only spot of good news is, that the receding of the glacier seems to be more due to cyclical changes in precipitation and less due to global warming. So there is some hope that the glacier will last longer than thought and may rebound with any luck.

Kilimanjaro's Glaciers May Last Longer Than Predicted

Glaciers are tricky things, they require snowfall to grow, but snowfall requires wetter warmer temperatures which can also melt glaciers. Which is why the largest glaciers persist in cold dry environments, even if they aren't able to continue to grow there.

Sadly the number of growing glaciers is not enough to compensate for those that are shrinking.

wa:do

work in progress

Look at the top of this website work in progress.

On sea ice, carbon, temperture, sea levels, land ice and global tempertures and they are interactive.

Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet
Thanks! I wasn't aware NASA had a one-stop shopping page to see what's happening with some of the important leading indicators. Although, things change so fast that their CO2 info may be slightly out of date. The latest monthly reading for February from Mauna Loa was 393.65.....but that may be part of the seasonal cyclical variation.

work in progress

Photographer James Balog shares new image sequences from the Extreme Ice Survey, a network of time-lapse cameras recording glaciers receding at an alarming rate, some of the most vivid evidence yet of climate change.

[youtube]DjeIpjhAqsM[/youtube]
James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss - YouTube

[youtube]5ynKh9ncJpM[/youtube]
Melting Glaciers - YouTube
One thing for sure: there's no sense in talking about saving moutain glaciers, or any other glaciers, if greenhouse gas levels keep rising.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Humans do do "something" to it... but the idea that ecologists/environmentalists say we aren't part of it is totally false and misleading.

I didn't say that environmentalists "say" we aren't apart of it. I know they say we are (maybe I should say mainstream or stereotypical environmental activists, as environmentalist can refer to anybody who cares about the environment and thinks we need to do things to minimize our impact, protect it, etc., which would include me).
Every species does "something"... ecology is all about understanding what that "something" is and environmentalism is about making sure that our "something" doesn't adversely effect the system needlessly.

We are the only species concerned about what happens to other species. We are interested (well, many of us) not just in minimizing our impact or protecting the environment only just for self-preservation, but because we care if we are responsible for wiping out a species or drastically altering or destroying eco-systems. The systems which make up "nature" (e.g., evolution, volcanic activity, so-called "natural disasters) have driven the way life has unfolded on this planet largely through incredibly destructive (or at least altering) and competitive mechanisms. We have the continents we do because the original land mass was violently ripped apart. Many of these "destructive" upheavals made certain life possible, from the introduction of oxygen as a major atmospheric element to the cyclical flooding of the nile. But my point is that natural mechanisms result in constant fluctuations, changes, extinction, new species perhaps at the expense of others, etc.

Environmentalism isn't just unique to our species, many of the actions involved in it run counter to "nature." We try to preserve land or species against even natural changes. Environmental preservation/conservation isn't just about protecting nature from us, but includes preventing or attempting to control natural changes.
No, it's a realization that we need to control our actions because we are the species with the greatest capacity to alter the environment and to drive species to extinction.
I remember discussing/debating this back when I was part of an environmental group/club in school. It was in response to the statement "we are animals, just like any other animal, so we have no right to do X" (if I recall correctly, the X was drilling for oil and the impact this not just in general but to a specific species, but I can't remember what that species was). Rights and responsibilities are human conceptions, and they tend to go hand in hand. One has a right to drive a car, but this comes with certain responsibilities. People who violate these get tickets or get their licenses suspended or revoked. People get their right to freedom revoked for committing crimes.

You state that "we are the species with the greatest capacity to alter the environment and to drive species to extinction" and I agree. However, we are not the only species with this capacity. Yet our responsibility to minimize our impact or protect the environmnet isn't quantitatively different in proportion to our ability to affect the environment compared with other species. It's unique. We are the only species concerned with protecting even our own species, let alone other species.

Our survival depends on certain interactions with the environment. But are you seriously suggesting that most, or even many, environmental activists are concerned merely with whether or not X action by humans will threaten us? That even if we knew for a fact we could, say, wipe out most life in a particular area by exploiting it for resources without resulting in any negative consequences to our survival, environmentalists would be ok with it? And if not, if we care about how we affect the environment even if our actions will not threaten us, then it most certainly is not because "we are a part of nature." And if we would act to proctect a species threatened by natural forces, then we are attempting to control the environnment, not recognize ourselves as part of it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I didn't say that environmentalists "say" we aren't apart of it. I know they say we are (maybe I should say mainstream or stereotypical environmental activists, as environmentalist can refer to anybody who cares about the environment and thinks we need to do things to minimize our impact, protect it, etc., which would include me).
I've never heard a serious or professional environmental activist or ecologist say that we are.

We are the only species concerned about what happens to other species. We are interested (well, many of us) not just in minimizing our impact or protecting the environment only just for self-preservation, but because we care if we are responsible for wiping out a species or drastically altering or destroying eco-systems. The systems which make up "nature" (e.g., evolution, volcanic activity, so-called "natural disasters) have driven the way life has unfolded on this planet largely through incredibly destructive (or at least altering) and competitive mechanisms. We have the continents we do because the original land mass was violently ripped apart. Many of these "destructive" upheavals made certain life possible, from the introduction of oxygen as a major atmospheric element to the cyclical flooding of the nile. But my point is that natural mechanisms result in constant fluctuations, changes, extinction, new species perhaps at the expense of others, etc.
That doesn't make us apart from nature.

Environmentalism isn't just unique to our species, many of the actions involved in it run counter to "nature." We try to preserve land or species against even natural changes. Environmental preservation/conservation isn't just about protecting nature from us, but includes preventing or attempting to control natural changes.
Actually it doesn't include preventing natural changes and serious environmental advocates propose returning natural changes like wildfires to the system.

I remember discussing/debating this back when I was part of an environmental group/club in school. It was in response to the statement "we are animals, just like any other animal, so we have no right to do X" (if I recall correctly, the X was drilling for oil and the impact this not just in general but to a specific species, but I can't remember what that species was). Rights and responsibilities are human conceptions, and they tend to go hand in hand. One has a right to drive a car, but this comes with certain responsibilities. People who violate these get tickets or get their licenses suspended or revoked. People get their right to freedom revoked for committing crimes.
I've never heard such an argument. Granted I went to school for Biology/ecology, so our discussions were a bit more involved. Such as: "how large an area is sufficient to support a healthy ecosystem and how do you balance the needs of local populations with the needs of wildlife." and "how to the attitudes/assumptions of developed nations burden poor and developing nations when it comes to preservation efforts."

You state that "we are the species with the greatest capacity to alter the environment and to drive species to extinction" and I agree. However, we are not the only species with this capacity. Yet our responsibility to minimize our impact or protect the environmnet isn't quantitatively different in proportion to our ability to affect the environment compared with other species. It's unique. We are the only species concerned with protecting even our own species, let alone other species.
Again, this doesn't seperate us from nature but grants us several unique opportunities. It also means we are able to tell when our actions are not conducive to our long term survival.

Our survival depends on certain interactions with the environment. But are you seriously suggesting that most, or even many, environmental activists are concerned merely with whether or not X action by humans will threaten us?
That has been the historic framework of environmentalism since the 1900's. That is why the national park system was set up... why the EPA and other groups were formed. It was even a key part of the Endangered Species Act. In modern times the lure of bio-prospecting is a major driver of conservation efforts.
The use of "charismatic species" is a short-cut to win over peoples hearts and minds. And it can be very effective. :cool:

That even if we knew for a fact we could, say, wipe out most life in a particular area by exploiting it for resources without resulting in any negative consequences to our survival, environmentalists would be ok with it?
That is an interesting thought experiment.
I would suggest that to a certain degree this already happens when it comes to urbanization. There are clear benefits to ending suburbia in favor of denser urban living. I don't think you will find any environmentalists that would say that we should get rid of cities and towns.

And if not, if we care about how we affect the environment even if our actions will not threaten us, then it most certainly is not because "we are a part of nature." And if we would act to proctect a species threatened by natural forces, then we are attempting to control the environnment, not recognize ourselves as part of it.
Obviously we are part of the environment... if we weren't then it wouldn't matter how much pollution we pumped into the system. We are attempting to control our actions not the environment.

We can't control the environment... we can only influence it. We can't force a forest to grow in the arctic. We can't control the amount of rain or wind and we can't stop stochastic events from happening. Not pumping dioxins into the water isn't controlling the environment, it's controlling our behavior.
Not wiping out the whales isn't controlling the environment, it's controlling our behavior.

I would also argue that there are very few (if any) species that we are preserving that are becoming extinct due to "natural forces". Generally, it's human actions that are producing extinctions since the 1600's... either through over exploitation, habitat destruction or invasive species introduction. :shrug:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've never heard a serious or professional environmental activist or ecologist say that we are.

You've never heard a serious or professional environmenatlist say we are a part of nature? Or did you misunderstand/misread what I wrote?
I didn't say that environmentalists "say" we aren't apart of it. I know they say we are...
My point was to distinguish between implicit or even unconscious beliefs versus explicit statements/beliefs. I'm not asserting anything about what anybody actually says concerning our relationship to nature, but about what I think the underlying and unconscious assumptions and thought processes often are.

I'm also not arguing that we aren't part of nature. I believe that we are. Nor am I arguing we shouldn't do care about the environment or making any statements here about good or bad actions at all. In the post you responded to (and the following one you just responded to), my only concern was what I belive to be contradictory beliefs about humanity's relationship to nature held by many environmentalists.

Simply put, my argument is that they believe we are a part of nature but their reasoning behind what actions we should take and why doesn't coheres with that belief and that the desired actions implicitly point to an unconscious belief that humans are apart from nature.

Actually it doesn't include preventing natural changes and serious environmental advocates propose returning natural changes like wildfires to the system.

I've never heard such an argument.

You've never heard/read about environmental preservation/conservation? It's certainly true that many environmentalists neither consider these environnmentalism nor advocate for preserving natural areas even against natural change. However, both the conservation movement itself and the views it espouses are intricately tied with many environmental movements and ideas. I doubt there are many environmentalists with a educational background in something like biology, ecology, etc., who have this view. But they don't represent the majority of environmentalists.

That has been the historic framework of environmentalism since the 1900's. That is why the national park system was set up... why the EPA and other groups were formed.

The national park system was set up more as a method of preserving areas for human enjoyment rather than because we were worried our species was threatened. But that's kind of my point. The environmentalist movement grew out of a romantic and idyllic view of nature we find expressed as far back as Hesiod. The creation of national parks to preserve the beauty of nature (which included killing off predators like wolves when they threatened to offset a "balance" that never existed in the first place) was a fundamental part in the history of the environmental movement.

Where I find myself differing on a ideological/philosophical basis with many enviromentalists I talk to or have met is less what actions we shoud take and more our views on the environment. Most of the environmental activists I've talked to (even those who either have or are obtaining undergraduate degrees in sciences related to environmental studies) implicitly or explicitly accept some form of the Gaia hypothesis: nature is somehow "balanced" and humans upset that balance. I don't agree. Maybe it's because I'm too pessimistic, but I think it has more to do with my knowledge of history (and background in classics) and my background and research on complex systems. Where they see balance I see chaos. From Hesiod to Thoreau to Lovelock, there is a clearly expressed view of nature as almost (or actually) a paradise which humanity destroys with cities and so forth. In fact, I find it suprising that you
don't think you will find any environmentalists that would say that we should get rid of cities and towns
. I have found many such environmentalists, especially among young activists (and where neopaganism and environmentalism intersect): if we got rid of all technology and cities and lived off of the land, things would be so much better, but we've lost touch with nature and "the land."

For these, life in a state of nature is akin to Eden, Hesiod's golden age, and similar myths of a paradise where humans lived in peace off of the land before civilization ruined everything.

That's hardly mainstream environmentalism, of course, but the idea of a "delicate balance" and or balance in general is, I think, deeply rooted along with the notion that this "balance" is upset by humans. I absolutely agree with this:

We can't control the environment... we can only influence it.

And I agree we can influence it in ways no other species can, in ways which harm our species along with many others. I also agree we should try to the extent we can to minimize the effects we have.

I'm simply describing a view I find to be common among environmentalists which I think is quite flawed: that humanity disrupts an otherwise balanced system, rather than that the system is inherently chaotic and that's why we have any life at all. I think the problem with the first view is not just that it is incorrect, but that implicitly or explicitly accepting it may prevent progress. Seeing nature as "balanced" and humanity as the unbalancing factor (rather than nature as constantly changing and humanity as capable of changing it in ways and on a scale no other species does) may, I think (at least at the popular level, from voters to activist groups) result in unrealistic expectations and solutions that do more harm than good because they are designed to restore a balance which doesn't exist.

That's why I often use the graphs of "chaotic" logistic maps when trying to explain my view. A sort of "controlled chaos" with wild and unpredictable behavior but one which stays within a certain range, and one which is easily explained (as it's one-dimensional). However, models of physical dynamical systems which tend to exhibit chaotic "behavior" within a particular range can be pushed into a totally different orbit or completely destabilize. In terms of our planet, the point is that thinking of it as balanced is not accurate, but neither is thinking that because it's chaotic somehow we can do whatever we want and it won't lead to disaster. And while I believe both views are wrong, the latter is much more likely to really do damage.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
You've never heard a serious or professional environmenatlist say we are a part of nature? Or did you misunderstand/misread what I wrote?
LoL, I probably misread. It happens from time to time. :eek:

My point was to distinguish between implicit or even unconscious beliefs versus explicit statements/beliefs. I'm not asserting anything about what anybody actually says concerning our relationship to nature, but about what I think the underlying and unconscious assumptions and thought processes often are.
I think when you start making assumptions about other peoples subconscious, you often start getting into trouble.

I'm also not arguing that we aren't part of nature. I believe that we are. Nor am I arguing we shouldn't do care about the environment or making any statements here about good or bad actions at all. In the post you responded to (and the following one you just responded to), my only concern was what I belive to be contradictory beliefs about humanity's relationship to nature held by many environmentalists.
I would say many non-ecologist or casual environmentalists are more idealistic and perhaps naieve than outright contradictory.

Simply put, my argument is that they believe we are a part of nature but their reasoning behind what actions we should take and why doesn't coheres with that belief and that the desired actions implicitly point to an unconscious belief that humans are apart from nature.
I guess I don't see that implicit belief.
I do hear people talk about how we are "disconnected" from nature but this doesn't mean we are not a part of nature. It means that most people don't understand how they fit into the natural world. They don't understand their food supply or if their water is actually safe to drink.

You've never heard/read about environmental preservation/conservation?
Don't be silly :p

It's certainly true that many environmentalists neither consider these environnmentalism nor advocate for preserving natural areas even against natural change. However, both the conservation movement itself and the views it espouses are intricately tied with many environmental movements and ideas. I doubt there are many environmentalists with a educational background in something like biology, ecology, etc., who have this view. But they don't represent the majority of environmentalists.
The majority is a very diverse body around the world. No doubt there are environmentalists who believe as you think they do... what I dispute is your extrapolating from those people to the "majority". Environmentalism isn't limited to any single demographic.

The national park system was set up more as a method of preserving areas for human enjoyment rather than because we were worried our species was threatened.
Actually, that was just one of the many reasons. It was set up, along with the National Forest Service, to protect forest and other natural assets for future exploitation. Massive deforestation in the eastern US had shown that these natural areas needed to preserved to provide a secure supply of resources in reserve.
It was a major debate at the time... preservation for preservation sake vs. preservation for security of resources. Preservation for security won the argument, which is why nearly every national park is also actively being either mined or logged at different degrees.

But that's kind of my point. The environmentalist movement grew out of a romantic and idyllic view of nature we find expressed as far back as Hesiod. The creation of national parks to preserve the beauty of nature (which included killing off predators like wolves when they threatened to offset a "balance" that never existed in the first place) was a fundamental part in the history of the environmental movement.
That was one side of the story... but it wasn't the whole story. For example the Weeks Act passed, not because of love for beauty of the northeastern forests but to prevent flooding and preserve logging jobs.

It's a nice "just so" story that environmentalism grew out of idealism and growing reverence for nature... and many of the remembered names from the early movement are those idealists... but the people who actually got things accomplished, were pragmatists. Sadly these people, like Gifford Pinchot and George Perkins Marsh who published one of the most influential books on land preservation in history: Man and Nature: Or, Physical Geography as Modified by Human Action are all but forgotten.

Where I find myself differing on a ideological/philosophical basis with many enviromentalists I talk to or have met is less what actions we shoud take and more our views on the environment. Most of the environmental activists I've talked to (even those who either have or are obtaining undergraduate degrees in sciences related to environmental studies) implicitly or explicitly accept some form of the Gaia hypothesis: nature is somehow "balanced" and humans upset that balance. I don't agree.
While I don't support the "hard" Gaia hypothesis... it is correct in a soft sense. There is a "balance" in a healthy ecosystem and human actions can profoundly and negatively "tip" that balance.
Predator/prey interactions, host/parasite interactions and so on, are all precariously balanced (flxuating within certain non-extreme ranges). Something as simple as a road can tip that balance massively.

Maybe it's because I'm too pessimistic, but I think it has more to do with my knowledge of history (and background in classics) and my background and research on complex systems. Where they see balance I see chaos.
Perhaps a study of ecology and ecological dynamics would help? :cool:

From Hesiod to Thoreau to Lovelock, there is a clearly expressed view of nature as almost (or actually) a paradise which humanity destroys with cities and so forth. In fact, I find it suprising that you . I have found many such environmentalists, especially among young activists (and where neopaganism and environmentalism intersect): if we got rid of all technology and cities and lived off of the land, things would be so much better, but we've lost touch with nature and "the land."
I'm not agueing that they are there, and they publish lots of popular work... but, remember they represent a particular (American Middle-class) demographic and not the movement as a whole.
Talk to environmentalists from Africa, Latin and South America or anywhere else and you find very different things. Heck, even in Europe there is a significantly different view, mostly owing to a profoundly different history with the land.

For these, life in a state of nature is akin to Eden, Hesiod's golden age, and similar myths of a paradise where humans lived in peace off of the land before civilization ruined everything.
then those people are naive at best and ignorant at worst. But again, you are talking about a particular group of environmentalists that you have frequent exposure to.

That's hardly mainstream environmentalism, of course, but the idea of a "delicate balance" and or balance in general is, I think, deeply rooted along with the notion that this "balance" is upset by humans. I absolutely agree with this:

And I agree we can influence it in ways no other species can, in ways which harm our species along with many others. I also agree we should try to the extent we can to minimize the effects we have.

I'm simply describing a view I find to be common among environmentalists which I think is quite flawed: that humanity disrupts an otherwise balanced system, rather than that the system is inherently chaotic and that's why we have any life at all. I think the problem with the first view is not just that it is incorrect, but that implicitly or explicitly accepting it may prevent progress. Seeing nature as "balanced" and humanity as the unbalancing factor (rather than nature as constantly changing and humanity as capable of changing it in ways and on a scale no other species does) may, I think (at least at the popular level, from voters to activist groups) result in unrealistic expectations and solutions that do more harm than good because they are designed to restore a balance which doesn't exist.

That's why I often use the graphs of "chaotic" logistic maps when trying to explain my view. A sort of "controlled chaos" with wild and unpredictable behavior but one which stays within a certain range, and one which is easily explained (as it's one-dimensional). However, models of physical dynamical systems which tend to exhibit chaotic "behavior" within a particular range can be pushed into a totally different orbit or completely destabilize. In terms of our planet, the point is that thinking of it as balanced is not accurate, but neither is thinking that because it's chaotic somehow we can do whatever we want and it won't lead to disaster. And while I believe both views are wrong, the latter is much more likely to really do damage.
I think much of the issue here comes down to your understanding of the terms "chaotic" and "balanced" and how they relate to ecological dynamics. When ecologists/biologists use the term "balanced" they don't mean a system that never varies or changes... but one that generally operates within certain ranges of variables. Predators and prey will have a "balanced" relationship with prey generally outnumbering predators but overall numbers of both will vary from season to season and predator numbers respond to prey numbers but lag behind. Outside of stochastic events and outside influences this system will remain in "balance" perpetually.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
LoL, I probably misread. It happens from time to time. :eek:

Who doesn't? Also, I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I think when you start making assumptions about other peoples subconscious, you often start getting into trouble.

True enough. But then again, that's a lot of what sociology does, along with history. While I only chose Psych. & Soc. for my second major (or first, I'm not actually sure if ancient Greek and Latin was my first or secondary major, but it doesn't really matter) for reasons that had nothing to do with an interest in sociology, some of it did and still does interest me. Every worldview is partly a construct of the individual, but is also based on a socio-cultural history that individual may not even be aware of. For example, Bertrand Russell wondered why China didn't develop science (meaning an empirical approach to hypothesis testing through an increasing "stock" of shared experimental methods and paradigms). All civilizations have invented tools (some more complex than others), and some developed philosophies that approach modern science in certain ways. Yet this kind of rudimentary science, which one finds in e.g., ancient Greece, is pretty rare. Russell never thought that perhaps in order for a culture to develop experimental methods and procedures for exploring and understanding the world, it might be that the culture has to believe the world is understandable. In other words, if a culture views the universe as cyclical, unchanging, or otherwise evolving in a way humans have zero control over, and/or if there is a cultural belief that there is no order, rhyme, or reason behind anything, then perhaps science cannot develop.

The point is that while you are correct to point out how speculative such inquiry into unconscious aspects of an individual's worldview are (especially as much of the "evidence" for my belief expressed here is anecdotal evidence from personal conversations, blog posts, forums online or in the real world, etc.), it's quite possible to provide meaningful explanations on shared worldviews based on history and enough interactions.

I guess I don't see that implicit belief.

I would imagine the social circles you are a part of would tend to include people like you (i.e., educated, well-informed, etc.). In my experience and from what I have read, most individuals who are passionate about the environment don't have a background similar to yours.

I do hear people talk about how we are "disconnected" from nature but this doesn't mean we are not a part of nature. It means that most people don't understand how they fit into the natural world. They don't understand their food supply or if their water is actually safe to drink.

I was using the "disconnected" example more to illustrate a view of nature itself (rather than our membership in it) which is idyllic and unrealistic.

The majority is a very diverse body around the world. No doubt there are environmentalists who believe as you think they do... what I dispute is your extrapolating from those people to the "majority". Environmentalism isn't limited to any single demographic.

I agree it isn't limited to any single demographic. However, neither are the beliefs I'm talking about. There are specific demographics in which these views are overrepresented (e.g., the many neopagan groups), but from more radical feminist ideology (where in certain circles the earth is symbolic of feminine power through it's ability to create and nurture life) to neomarxism and so forth, members of these groups who are environmentalists also tend to intersect when it comes to the view I'm describing.

I haven't conducted a single study, let alone the number it would take to start putting together an empirically based picture. But from this forum to blogs to popular books to interactions with environmental groups, I've found it more common than not.

It's a nice "just so" story that environmentalism grew out of idealism and growing reverence for nature... and many of the remembered names from the early movement are those idealists... but the people who actually got things accomplished, were pragmatists. Sadly these people, like Gifford Pinchot and George Perkins Marsh who published one of the most influential books on land preservation in history: Man and Nature: Or, Physical Geography as Modified by Human Action are all but forgotten.

That's sort of my point. There were plenty of other factors and certainly pragmatic views as something as complex as modern environmentalism evolved, but while some were influential, they usually failed to make a widescale impression on social understanding or conceptions of nature.
I started looking into this issue (indirectly at first) researching modern feminist trends and the their history, the effects on western cultures as they moved away from christianity and sought to replace it (e.g., the reviving, combining, and/or reconstructing "ancient" practices, the rejection of Freud's neglect of "the spritiual" by his disciples, the change in literature, etc), and similar forays into the history of the development common modern worldviews.

This particular"just so" story is, like all others, simplistic, but I'm not the first to apply it to the evolution of movements from the 19th century onwards.

Perhaps a study of ecology and ecological dynamics would help? :cool:

Not so far. Granted, my studies of climate science are focused more on atmospheric dynamics, but I have looked into ecology as well. Apart from my interest in the environment, I look to earth sciences because the approach to neural activity has only recently involved incorporating and focusing on a dynamical systems research, and there are still to many neuroscientists who are rooted in classical cog. sci. views. The environment is filled with incredibly intricate and complex systems.

Talk to environmentalists from Africa, Latin and South America or anywhere else and you find very different things. Heck, even in Europe there is a significantly different view, mostly owing to a profoundly different history with the land.

I've spent a lot of time talking to environmentalists in Europe, but I never realized until now that I have neglected many important regions (South America and Africa being two).

I think much of the issue here comes down to your understanding of the terms "chaotic" and "balanced" and how they relate to ecological dynamics. When ecologists/biologists use the term "balanced" they don't mean a system that never varies or changes... but one that generally operates within certain ranges of variables. Predators and prey will have a "balanced" relationship with prey generally outnumbering predators but overall numbers of both will vary from season to season and predator numbers respond to prey numbers but lag behind. Outside of stochastic events and outside influences this system will remain in "balance" perpetually.

That's the problem with so many current models, of everything from a neuron to predator/prey. Take predator/prey models. They are, of course, of necessity simplifications. But they are pretty accurate barring "outside events." The problem is that putting together a bunch of such models (not just predator/prey) doesn't a globally balanced system make. Stochastic events are perpetually occuring, from random gene mutations to extreme weather. I look at what we know of the history of the earth and I see constant fluctuations everywhere, often extreme. Yes, there is a certain amount of stability, or we wouldn't be here. But the driving forces behind life involve competitive interactions, which in turn result in evolution, change, and adaption, not just of species but of eco-systems. Although sometimes things don't really change for tens of millions of years (look at the shark), I don't think that's the norm.

Our planet is powered by a battery which is itself dynamically fluctuating. The life which is supported by this battery is constantly bombarded not simply by things like volcanoes or cosmic rays, but by species constantly trying to survive through adaption to their environment, only for another species (or several) to adapt in ways which change that environment.

Balanced? Even as you defined the term, I think it only works on local models over a quite limited timescale. There is, however, a certain order in this chaos.

Last edited:

Jistheman

I belive that all mankind should think very hard about the options they have have to reduce it.
I do not like when people talk like this is not a real problem. It really is a huge scare for earth and life as we know it. :(

We should take better care of it.

work in progress

Irony of ironies, if you thought it was just your imagination that the generation who is going to face the greatest impacts of our inability to deal with climate and environment issues doesn't care, or doesn't want to be bothered....well they don't!
Study: Young people not so 'green' after all
They have a reputation for being environmentally minded do-gooders. But an academic analysis of surveys spanning more than 40 years has found that today's young Americans are less interested in the environment and in conserving resources — and often less civic-minded overall — than their elders were when they were young.The findings go against the widespread belief that environmental issues have hit home with today's young adults, known as Millennials, who have grown up amid climate change discussion and the mantra "reduce, reuse, recycle." The environment is often listed among top concerns of young voters.

Steepest of all was a steady decline in concern about the environment, and taking personal action to save it.
Researchers found that, when surveyed decades ago, about a third of young baby boomers said it was important to become personally involved in programs to clean up the environment. In comparison, only about a quarter of young Gen Xers — and 21 percent of Millennials — said the same.

What Might Account for the Decline in Concern About the Environment Among Young People? - Science and Religion Today
The decline in concern for the environment is part of the overall cultural trend toward individualism, with younger generations less likely to focus on causes that aren’t of personal interest to them. Boomers and even Gen Xers were more likely to say they thought about social problems, and more likely to be interested in government and politics. Many young people now don’t see the need to keep up with current events. The focus now is on the needs of the self—appearance, achievement, friends.

Yes, thanks libertarians and assorted fiscal conservatives who believe that everyone looking out for their own individual interests will solve all of our problems! It appears that the problem of growing denial of climate change and unwillingness to change lifestyle and energy use is not just a matter of the Koch-funded disinformation campaign. The cultural trend towards individualism also owes a lot to the effects income stratification have on how we relate to others. Simply put, as an economic system becomes increasing stratified, people become more concerned with hierarchy and there place in it, than they are with collective responsibilities or shared interests.