• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global warming

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That is not exactly a reliable source. And you appear to have not understood it. It does admit that for all practical reasons that we will run out of oil.
Everything for some people is not a reliable source isn't it? Unless it confirms to one's views and opinions.

And no again, science says we will not likely run out of oil if ever and that's pretty much that.

Of course, you can take it or leave it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Everything for some people is not a reliable source isn't it? Unless it confirms to one's views and opinions.

And no again, science says we will not likely run out of oil if ever and that's pretty much that.

Of course, you can take it or leave it.
It is a popular science source which means that they will get the details wrong. And even worse for you it does not support you, you only read the title. You should have read the whole thing.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One good thing is we will run out of oil around 2050 so then it’ll cut way back on greenhouse gases so the Earth will begin to repair itself. Sweet.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
The end of oil's been predicted numerous times. Even if it did run dry, substitutes could be manufactured.
Even if we stopped producing greenhouse gasses tomorrow, considerable damage has already been done, and things will be deteriorating for a long time.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It is a popular science source which means that they will get the details wrong. And even worse for you it does not support you, you only read the title. You should have read the whole thing.
I did read. Its not my problem you don't understand the details here.

Are you sure you read it? Seems the one reading only the title is you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I wouldn't hold my breath.
The end of oil's been predicted numerous times. Even if it did run dry, substitutes could be manufactured.
Even if we stopped producing greenhouse gasses tomorrow, considerable damage has already been done, and things will be deteriorating for a long time.
What has been predicted is running out of oil based upon technology at that time. And yes, we could turn coal into oil, a rather dirty process, for at least a hundred more years. But as to existing oil one of the reasons it has lasted longer than previous predictions was new technology for getting old leftover oil out of sediments. A lot was left behind, but fracking changed that. It helped US production immensely since we have tons of old "spent" oil fields where we probably got only about half of the oil out.

Of course as this year of record heat, and what looks like a year of record deaths from heat, it looks as if we are beginning to sow what we reaped.

Laniakea

Not of this world
What has been predicted is running out of oil based upon technology at that time. And yes, we could turn coal into oil, a rather dirty process, for at least a hundred more years. But as to existing oil one of the reasons it has lasted longer than previous predictions was new technology for getting old leftover oil out of sediments. A lot was left behind, but fracking changed that. It helped US production immensely since we have tons of old "spent" oil fields where we probably got only about half of the oil out.

Of course as this year of record heat, and what looks like a year of record deaths from heat, it looks as if we are beginning to sow what we reaped.
If people didn't use oil to power their cars and air conditioners, more people actually would die from the heat. But it's not happening because of oil use.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I did read. Its not my problem you don't understand the details here.

Are you sure you read it? Seems the one reading only the title is you.
I see that projection is strong in you again. Since you could not understand your own article let me help you. Here is why we "won't" run out of oil:

"The short answer is the planet itself will never completely run out of oil, because some of the oil is in inaccessible places like Antarctica, and some may be made so deep inside Earth we can't even quantify it, let alone get to it. "

Please note, that I said "for all practical reasons we will run out of oil" or words to that effect. If we cannot recover it and there is no more we will have run out of oil.

Here is where it points out how we will run out of oil:

""Broadly speaking, we know where most of the world's oil is," David MacDonald, professor emeritus of petroleum geology at the University of Aberdeen in the U.K., told Live Science.

. . .

Globally, around 1.6 trillion barrels of recoverable oil remain, according to a 2023 survey by Rystad Energy. There's also recoverable oil we haven't yet discovered; that's a hazier number, although in 2012, the U.S. Geological Survey put the estimate at 565 billion barrels."

In other words, there is a limited amount of oil that we can recover. Yes, as it gets harder and harder to recover the price will go up and up and up. There will be an economic balance that means we will not "run out of oil". But for such wasteful uses as personal transportation there is a clear limit.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If people didn't use oil to power their cars and air conditioners, more people actually would die from the heat. But it's not happening because of oil use.
You are using short term thinking again. Using oil now only means that those problems will be even worse in the future.

Laniakea

Not of this world
You are using short term thinking again. Using oil now only means that those problems will be even worse in the future.
Oh, now you're some kind of prophet? Leftists have tried to scare people with that sort of disinformation since the 70s. None of it came to pass, so they just keep saying, "Well, maybe in another 20 years....."

Laniakea

Not of this world
Right, because green energy is ramping up and oil will be obsolete before it runs out.
It does no good if having green energy means having to destroy the environment to have it.

Destroy the environment in order to save it.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It does no good if having green energy means having to destroy the environment to have it.

Destroy the environment in order to save it.
Like drilling for oil in national parks, but now you point out this? This is why the right wing has no credibility. It's your reputation to ruin. Green energy is safe and effective for the long term unlike fossil fuels.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, now you're some kind of prophet? Leftists have tried to scare people with that sort of disinformation since the 70s. None of it came to pass, so they just keep saying, "Well, maybe in another 20 years....."
No, I can do the math. I can understand some of the science. One does not need to be a prophet to know that 2 + 2 = 4.

If you are in bed in a cold room you might need three blankets to keep warm. But if you keep adding blankets you will get warmer and warmer to the point of being uncomfortable. Carbon dioxide is an amazing gas in how it helps to retain heat on the Earth. The odds are that you can understand the math and science of the Greenhouse Effect. We have known of the Greenhouse Effect from long before AGW was dreamed of. It is not controversial at all. Would you like to learn the simple version of how it works?