• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global warming

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If people didn't use oil to power their cars and air conditioners, more people actually would die from the heat. But it's not happening because of oil use.
What other major contributors are you referring to?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You should cite a source, but you don't seem to have one that supports your claim. I do.
Ever see those massive windmill fires? Talk about pollution and complete waste of the environment. Building those monstrosities that don't even last that long in the first place utilizes more fossil fuel than what it takes for it to make up for the cost to build and replace those things in the first place.

The Eco Nazis will never admit that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, but relying on green energy. It didn't work, and it cost lives.
Congratulations on your attempt to reduce the earth's population problem.
What? They never relied on green energy. Once again, that was not the problem. Where did you come up with that idea? They simply did not have enough plants of any sort, once again green or dirty. It did not matter, they needed more production. There will be a need for natural gas plants for quite a while. It can take a long time for infrastructure to be built. Of all possible sources gas is probably the quickest to get on line which is why they chose it. That was not in itself a bad decision. Your biased article made it look as if it were the choice of one or the other.

For the short run, natural gas makes sense. But for the long run, wind makes far more sense. For one thing it is cheaper than gas. If you want lower power rates you want solar and wind. They are both cheaper than fossil fuels. And they are still getting cheaper as the technology develops. But for right now we will need a mixture of sources. Sooner or later fossil fuels will be replaced, but to do so we need a way to store green energy. There are several possibilities, but that is another topic.

This article goes over how it was a failure of existing plants to be able to produce power:

So short term, more natural gas plants to get Texas up to the point where they can supply the basics, but long term growth the answer is wind mostly.

Twilight Hue

Green energy investment has been higher than fossil fuel investment for many years now. Green energy is the future, and investors know it.

Let's just say there's potential but not practicality it's being pushed long before it's ready which is the major problem here.

Someday perhaps, but not today.

Laniakea

Not of this world
Ever see those massive windmill fires? Talk about pollution and complete waste of the environment. Building those monstrosities that don't even last that long in the first place utilizes more fossil fuel than what it takes for it to make up for the cost to build and replace those things in the first place.

And even if they don't catch on fire, they are still very maintenance-heavy. Solar makes much more sense if we want to do anything "Green". Far more versatile, and more accessible for the common people to implement. Solar panels can be placed on homes and buildings, but you'll rarely see a neighborhood with a turbine on anyone's home.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

You focus on the small problems rather than the big ones and shoot yourself in the foot by calling names.

Your own source pointed out how oil is a temporary answer. We are already at peak oil, meaning that our new discoveries barely keep us even. Within ten years we will be consuming reserves faster than new ones are found. And of course even though you are sweating in bed you seem to think that throwing another blanket on is a good idea.

Twilight Hue

And even if they don't catch on fire, they are still very maintenance-heavy. Solar makes much more sense if we want to do anything "Green". Far more versatile, and more accessible for the common people to implement. Solar panels can be placed on homes and buildings, but you'll rarely see a neighborhood with a turbine on anyone's home.
It makes you wonder with the massive infrastructure bill that the left wing is crowing about and pushing on people and the fact that people should get stuff for free, begs the question as to why we don't all get free clean energy equipment and accessories for every home in the nation as part of the infrastructure bill.

If Uncle Sam is going to want to get me on board , it's just going to have to give me an EV vehicle, a solar panel array , and a wind turbine for my roof.

I mean if it is all that urgent and imperative like the covid testing was with free testing and inoculations that came out, the government should pay the bill then for this as well.

It is a matter of life and death they say.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Solar is seasonal and weakest in the winter. By quite a bit. The wind blows all year long.

And though they are higher maintenance they are still cheaper than oil, natural gas, or coal.. Here is a graph that shows "levelized cost" of energy. That is the cost over the lifetime of a source. It is the most accurate way to determine how much the energy costs:

1719027994849.png

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Same here. I like the idea of energy being produced from sunshine. It's good for people who live off-grid, or just want to supplement what they get from traditional services. But it's not reliable enough to be a replacement for what actually works.
Photoelectric isn't the only green energy source. There are many that could be developed.
When the sun sets other alternatives can kick in. Once the technology's developed I suspect utilities will utilize whatever source is cheapest at the time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It makes you wonder with the massive infrastructure bill that the left wing is crowing about and pushing on people and the fact that people should get stuff for free, begs the question as to why we don't all get free clean energy equipment and accessories for every home in the nation as part of the infrastructure bill.

If Uncle Sam is going to want to get me on board , it's just going to have to give me an EV vehicle, a solar panel array , and a wind turbine for my roof.

I mean if it is all that urgent and imperative then like the covid test that came out the government should pay the bill then.
Can you not argue by using strawman arguments? When you do so you as much as admit that you are wrong. No one on the left wants things for free. I could probably make a better case of that being the thinking of those one the right.

Twilight Hue

You focus on the small problems rather than the big ones and shoot yourself in the foot by calling names.

Your own source pointed out how oil is a temporary answer. We are already at peak oil, meaning that our new discoveries barely keep us even. Within ten years we will be consuming reserves faster than new ones are found. And of course even though you are sweating in bed you seem to think that throwing another blanket on is a good idea.
Heat doesn't really bother me. Its like being in San Antonio, and I can grow an orange tree for a change and have a couple of banana and coconut trees.

Like all life around us , things will adapt to ever changing conditions and climates like it always had.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Heat doesn't really bother me. Its like being in San Antonio, and I can grow an orange tree for a change and have a couple of banana and coconut trees.

Like all life around us , things will adapt to ever changing conditions and climates like it always had.
You live in New York state where it does not get all that hot in the summer. Add ten degrees to your temperature and then talk to us.

Twilight Hue

Can you not argue by using strawman arguments? When you do so you as much as admit that you are wrong. No one on the left wants things for free. I could probably make a better case of that being the thinking of those one the right.
Call it a straw man all you want. Its pretty much the actual fact of the matter.

Twilight Hue

You live in New York state where it does not get all that hot in the summer. Add ten degrees to your temperature and then talk to us.
This past week it's been in triple digits, so if that's not hot, I guess I can't have an argument against that in the People's Republic here.

Laniakea

Not of this world

I mean if it is all that urgent and imperative like the covid testing was with free testing and inoculations that came out, the government should pay the bill then for this as well.

It is a matter of life and death they say.
With the national debt going up by nearly 2 trillion per year now, they may as well just go all out and do as you suggested. What's another 200 trillion if it means saving humanity (even though China would continue with oil and coal anyway)?

Laniakea

Not of this world
That is for the US, and did you read why they are moving away from renewables? They are worried that an insane man might get elected to the presidency.
That already happened about 4 years ago. So insane is he that the green movement has shown it's true colors by failing left, right, and center.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I wouldn't hold my breath.
The end of oil's been predicted numerous times. Even if it did run dry, substitutes could be manufactured.
Even if we stopped producing greenhouse gasses tomorrow, considerable damage has already been done, and things will be deteriorating for a long time.
It’ll run dry. Substitutes? Doubtful. Possibly Millions of people maybe even billions will die of starvation because trucks are used to transport all the food. It’s not going to be pretty.

Last edited:

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I wouldn't hold my breath.
The end of oil's been predicted numerous times. Even if it did run dry, substitutes could be manufactured.
Even if we stopped producing greenhouse gasses tomorrow, considerable damage has already been done, and things will be deteriorating for a long time.
Once all the automobiles stop, the deterioration will stop, and the ozone will begin to heal itself. It may take a long time.