• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Time

Beaudreaux

Thief said:
As if you have no imagination.....
Don't you know what a mental construct is?

Yeah. It's something that does not exist in reality and cannot be objectively measured.

Beaudreaux

Willamena said:
So, you don't really have an imagination?

Well, maybe yours is better than mine. :)

Right now, I am imagining that there are microscopic hot dog carts floating in the air. How does your imagination propose we measure that empirically?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well, maybe yours is better than mine. :)

Right now, I am imagining that there are microscopic hot dog carts floating in the air. How does your imagination propose we measure that empirically?
So what you, and implicitly waitasec, mean to say is that you do have an imagination, i.e. it exists, it's just not measurable empirically.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Imagination is just brain activity. (After all, you can get a computer to invent scenarios that don't exist.) Not sure how that qualifies as "not measurable."

Beaudreaux

PolyHedral said:
Imagination is just brain activity. (After all, you can get a computer to invent scenarios that don't exist.) Not sure how that qualifies as "not measurable."
True. In fact, if you want to measure imagination as the ability to think creatively, you will find tests that have been measuring that for years.

Now, about measuring my tiny flying hot dog carts. Any ideas, Willamena? Or do you agree it is not possible to empirically measure things that don't manifest physically?

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
. . . do you agree it is not possible to empirically measure things that don't manifest physically?

Actually, I am currently working on an invention that is designed to empirically measure items that do not manifest physically. I call it the 'Spiruometer'. Right now, my biggest problem is that it doesn't work regularly on some people who claim to be full of the 'Holy Spirit'.

Either some people are full of crap, or my 'Spiruometer' is broken.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Actually, I am currently working on an invention that is designed to empirically measure items that do not manifest physically. I call it the 'Spiruometer'. Right now, my biggest problem is that it doesn't work regularly on some people who claim to be full of the 'Holy Spirit'.

Either some people are full of crap, or my 'Spiruometer' is broken.

Calibrate the holy spirit sensors to scan for self-deluded wishful thinking, and the solution will become clear.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Calibrate the holy spirit sensors to scan for self-deluded wishful thinking, and the solution will become clear.

Got it, thanks . . . . Yep, it appears to be working again now that it has been 're-tuned'. Of course, now I have a completely new problem. Under these new settings, now the readings spike everytime my girlfriend watches a Zales commerical or passes a 'Modern Bride' magazine.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Got it, thanks . . . . Yep, it appears to be working again now that it has been 're-tuned'. Of course, now I have a completely new problem. Under these new settings, now the readings spike everytime my girlfriend watches a Zales commerical or passes a 'Modern Bride' magazine.

Sounds like it's working correctly. Of course, be prepared for these readings to drop over time, and, conversely, for them to rise when scanning yourself, particularly when thinking about freedom and independence. The machine won't be broken.