• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God... He or She?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Ha! Not exactly.
Why not? It does not take a genius to realize we look like the other great apes. i.e. we are in the image of the other great apes. So, the conclusion follows from the transitivity of the relationship "being in the image of".

Ciao

- vio,le

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Why not? It does not take a genius to realize we look like the other great apes. i.e. we are in the image of the other great apes. So, the conclusion follows from the transitivity of the relationship "being in the image of".

Ciao

- vio,le
LOL speak for yourself.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
LOL speak for yourself.
Good to know we don't belong to the same species.

let me ask you this. What other species you would consider closest to you?
For example, do you agree to be a mammal?

Ciao

- viole

We Never Know

No Slack
Ha! Not exactly.

Hairless chimp. Its hard to deny our similarities

IMG_20240511_115236.jpg

You left out them. Or it.
I don't know, but to me it is She as She gave birth to the universe.
So, are you saying that only person who gives birth can be called she nowadays? Don't you know that men give birth also nowadays? :D

The idea about he and she is quite funny, because modern people don't seem to know what a man or a woman is.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So, are you saying that only person who gives birth can be called she nowadays? Don't you know that men give birth also nowadays? :D

The idea about he and she is quite funny, because modern people don't seem to know what a man or a woman is.

Well, it is my beliefs, but they are not funny. It is your belief that are funny. ;)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Bible God identifies as a man/Father, therefore I think he is the correct pronoun.
The gods of the Bible have names. Baal, Moloch, El and YHWH are all male. YHWH also had a wife, Asherah, but she got deleted after their messy divorce.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I see some say he and some say she.

Are those choices made by personal beliefs or is it not only people can't agree on if a god exists, which god exists but also if the god is a he or she?

I don't use he or she in reference to God. Leaving it up to the reader to arbitrarily decide God's gender.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
At risk of seeming picky and not having a sense of humour; that phrase refers to us being in God’s image, not to us “looking” like God.

Humbly,
Hermit

How then do you interpret "image"? We can't be 100% sure but I suspect it is a safe bet that the original author of this phrase was being egocentrical.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I see some say he and some say she.

Are those choices made by personal beliefs or is it not only people can't agree on if a god exists, which god exists but also if the god is a he or she?
I think that God is more like a father than a mother

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
How then do you interpret "image"? We can't be 100% sure but I suspect it is a safe bet that the original author of this phrase was being egocentrical.
I’d say that it is the limits to our language that causes much misinterpretation of scripture. There are no accurate words with which to describe spiritual attributes, so we do it through metaphor.

You could say “made in God’s mind/brain/heart”, but God has none of these worldly things. And God has no visual image either.

Still, it is said that we are in God (according to scripture, the opposite is not so btw) and this is in places expressed as having been made in God’s “image”.

Humbly,
Hermit

Heyo

Veteran Member
I’d say that it is the limits to our language that causes much misinterpretation of scripture. There are no accurate words with which to describe spiritual attributes, so we do it through metaphor.

You could say “made in God’s mind/brain/heart”, but God has none of these worldly things. And God has no visual image either.

Still, it is said that we are in God (according to scripture, the opposite is not so btw) and this is in places expressed as having been made in God’s “image”.

Humbly,
Hermit
Just add a few characters: "made in god's imagination".

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Just add a few characters: "made in god's imagination".

Ok, but do you think this is what was originally meant by the author?

The Greek word used "eikóna" means picture/figure/illustration.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, the picture in his mind.

Or maybe some kind of painting made by God. God painted humans in there, and so we were made in his "picture," or "image." Just like Bob Ross in "The Joy of Painting." Humans would be "happy accidents."