• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God... He or She?

RhySantos

Well, yes. I tried to figure out if I was right and other people wrong for how we live. I found I couldn't prove that in any sense for both right and wrong.
Now off course I have my personal norms, but they are neither right or wrong. They are just how I do it as it makes sense to me.
Yes.. I to personally find difficulty sometimes, the difficulty of distinguishing right from wrong (when it comes to such philosophical topics) specially if both points are valid.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
As a Christian my answer to the "Is God a He or a She" Goes like this:
You see, God is a creator who created human beings in his image.. Which also includes women too btw..
Therefore logically you will conclude that in the context of gender..God is neither.

Many therefore will go one to say that God's pronoun is 'it' , but as we know God is an omnipotent,all powerful, all knowing entity with conscience therefore he cannot be characterised that.

God the Father's love towards human beings is illustrated as having fatherly qualities.. As a protector.. And it also shows his superiority in comparison to his children.

Jesus is called the Son of God because he was inferior at the time to God the Father
Because Jesus humbled himself to be human and when in human form Jesus wasn't omni-present as he was (at the time) not in his spirit/spiritual form

Therefore we refer to God as a he

This rather selective citation of scripture that neglects tht fact that scripture describes God as specifically as a man.

Itis awkward to reinterpret scripture other than what it actually states,

There afd too many contradictions and conflicts between the Torah and the NT

Last edited:

RhySantos

This rather selective citation of scripture that neglects tht fact that scripture describes God as specifically as a man.

There afd too many contradictions and conflicts between the Torah and the NT
That is an amazing point..
But I could also contradict this by also mentioning that Jesus said that he spoke in parables and other figures of speech..
Hence this could be a reason that God the Father is specifically mentioned as a 'he' for only theological reasons?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It's pretty clear factually as it stands that God is pretty ineffective and non existent for all practical purposes and intent.
It is not a fact that God does not exist, nor is it a fact that God exists.

It is also not a fact that God is effective ineffective since nobody can know what God is "doing" at any time.

All we know is what we see in this material world, and if people have certain expectations of what God 'should be doing', what God 'would be doing' if God existed, things they do not see happening, then they say God is ineffective. This is ego projection.
Mute, dumb, deaf, blind , and crippled gods are pretty hard to substantiate in the same manner as the fable of the emperors new clothes along with the garden gnomes living in my backyard.
God is not dumb, deaf, or blind, and God is not mute, since God speaks through His Messengers.

The invisible God is hard to substantiate, I will give you that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus is called the Son of God because he was inferior at the time to God the Father
Because Jesus humbled himself to be human and when in human form Jesus wasn't omni-present as he was (at the time) not in his spirit/spiritual form
At the time? At what time? When did Jesus become omnipresent or equal to God the Father?

RhySantos

At the time? At what time? When did Jesus become omnipresent or equal to God the Father?
During the time he was in human form he was inferior to God the Father
When he is in spirit/spiritual form he is equal to the father
(My interpretation..if you have a different one I'd love to hear :) )

InChrist

Free4ever
I see some say he and some say she.

Are those choices made by personal beliefs or is it not only people can't agree on if a god exists, which god exists but also if the god is a he or she?
According to the biblical scriptures, God is Spirit, therefore neither “he or she” as we understand those terms to indicate male or female. Although, the scriptures refer to God as He or Father, that is to highlight God’s loving father like care and provision for His creation.

RhySantos

According to the biblical scriptures, God is Spirit, therefore neither “he or she” as we understand those terms to indicate male or female. Although, the scriptures refer to God as He or Father, that is to highlight God’s loving father like care and provision for His creation.
Yes! And his supiority in comparison to his children..

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
During the time he was in human form he was inferior to God the Father
When he is in spirit/spiritual form he is equal to the father
(My interpretation..if you have a different one I'd love to hear :) )
I think I understand what you mean by "in human form" but I do not understand what you mean by "in spiritual form."
Also, what do you mean by equal? Equal in what way?

I can give you my interpretation after you explain that. :)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It is not a fact that God does not exist, nor is it a fact that God exists.

It is also not a fact that God is effective ineffective since nobody can know what God is "doing" at any time.

All we know is what we see in this material world, and if people have certain expectations of what God 'should be doing', what God 'would be doing' if God existed, things they do not see happening, then they say God is ineffective. This is ego projection.

God is not dumb, deaf, or blind, and God is not mute, since God speaks through His Messengers.

The invisible God is hard to substantiate, I will give you that.
Let's look at the bottom line.

There is no God around that can be proven at all. None.

Nothing whatsoever in the actual waking world aside from a person who thinks God is real and resides in people's fantasies and imagination.

That's just the way it is.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Let's look at the bottom line.

There is no God around that can be proven at all. None.

Nothing whatsoever in the actual waking world aside from a person who thinks God is real and resides in people's fantasies and imagination.

That's just the way it is.
I cannot argue with that... There is nothing whatsoever in the actual waking world that proves that God exists.
I will only say that proof is not what makes God exist. Proof is only what 'some' people want in order to believe that God exists.

God could exist but if God does not provide any proof there will be no proof.
Judging by what I see I think that is the way it is. God does not provide proof because God wants our faith.
However, God does provide evidence because God does not want blind faith.

Twilight Hue

I cannot argue with that... There is nothing whatsoever in the actual waking world that proves that God exists.
I will only say that proof is not what makes God exist. Proof is only what 'some' people want in order to believe that God exists.

God could exist but if God does not provide any proof there will be no proof.
Judging by what I see I think that is the way it is. God does not provide proof because God wants our faith.
However, God does provide evidence because God does not want blind faith.
It's why In spite of my opinions will remain scientifically agnostic allowing anyone to present proof of god if they can.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It's why In spite of my opinions will remain scientifically agnostic allowing anyone to present proof of god if they can.
What does scientifically agnostic mean?'

Some believers believe they have proof but their proof is only proof to them.
It does not prove that God exists as a fact. That can never be proven.

Twilight Hue

So you don't believe in God because of evidence which contradicts there being a creator.
Can you name a few?

And may I ask..
Do you think that murdering people is wrong?
I'll tell you why I asked this question after your reply
The evidence is the complete absence of evidence, which of course in turn can be readily dismissed until any said evidence is adequately presented.

To the latter murder is wrong on true innocents as a human being, it's really a morality issue clearly, but killing itself is still a natural aspect of nature all around us, and has to be done sometimes based on any situation or circumstance that warrants or necessitates a lethal action.

Twilight Hue

What does scientifically agnostic mean?'

Some believers believe they have proof but their proof is only proof to them.
It does not prove that God exists as a fact. That can never be proven.
Same way science when concluding on something will always be open to accommodate new information that will reassess and adjust new information to refine their conclusions.

Science uses an agnostic approach and is always open rather than static and closed like many religions are.

We Never Know

No Slack
As a Christian my answer to this is quite simple actually..
You see, God is a creator who created human beings in his image.. Which also includes women too btw..
Therefore logically you will conclude that in the context of gender..God is neither.

Many therefore will go one to say that God's pronoun is 'it' , but as we know God is an omnipotent,all powerful, all knowing entity with conscience therefore he cannot be characterised that.

God the Father's love towards human beings is illustrated as having fatherly qualities.. As a protector.. And it also shows his superiority in comparison to his children.

Therefore we refer to God as a he

It, them, etc
VS
He and she

IMO...

It, them, etc are general references.

He and she are identifying/descriptive references

There is a difference.

Sargonski

Hey, all I know is that I am made in God's image.

and actually -- we don't know even that much :) but ! -- what are the implications should you actually be made in the image the creator -- ====== the creator is not a God but an Alien who looks alot like you :()