• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Is Not A Tolerant God

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
love said:
Is God not a tolerant God?
He puts up with our crap.

He created us. He just has to deal with it. :p

love said:
But why do you ask if you do not believe He exist?

The person who started this thread is a believer in God.

LoveNeverFails said:
Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God. -- Heywood Broun;):D:p

That is probably true. :D

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Misogyny is defined as, in the dictionary, "hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women." That won't really do for my point...
I think you just shot yourself in the foot and lost your point all in one admission. Since the true definition of misogyny doesn't work for your point you have just proven that God is not a misogynist.

This is just way too easy.

I can't debate someone who doesn't stick to a standard definition of words. An exchange of ideas is impossible in that context.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sandy said:
I think you just shot yourself in the foot and lost your point all in one admission. Since the true definition of misogyny doesn't work for your point you have just proven that God is not a misogynist.

The dictionary is not always the best place to look up terms like this. My using misogyny as "the belief that women are subject to men," is not wrong.Wikipedia says Misogyny is,"is hatred or strong prejudice against women;" My definition fits nicely within the brackets of Wiki's definition.

Sandy said:
Are you now purporting that God is a bigot? Just what is you definition of bigotry?

"the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot."

Bigot
"a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own"

Wouldn't you say that fits the God of the Bible quite well?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
So? He created us. He must be responsible for his creation.

That's why Jesus came to redeem "God" rather than to redeem "His" creatures. The Bible is the story of the redemption and maturation of "God" into an agent capable of moral development and a theory of mind.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Bigot
"a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own"

Wouldn't you say that fits the God of the Bible quite well?

Maybe coming from a finite human it would seem that way. From my understanding of the God of the bible, those that put their trust in him in all circumstances end up coming out on top. I've found that in my own life as well. Suppose for a second that the Christian God is the one who created the heavens and the earth. Why would our opinions have any influence over God's decision making? Are we as finite specks of dust in this sliver of time supposed to know any better than God?

I always think of the book of Job in these matters

1Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,
2"Who is this that darkens counsel
By words without knowledge?
3"Now gird up your loins like a man,
And I will ask you, and you instruct Me!
4"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding,
5Who set its measurements? Since you know.
Or who stretched the line on it?
6"On what were its bases sunk?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
7When the morning stars sang together
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8"Or who enclosed the sea with doors
When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb;
9When I made a cloud its garment
And thick darkness its swaddling band,
10And I placed boundaries on it
And set a bolt and doors,
11And I said, 'Thus far you shall come, but no farther;
And here shall your proud waves stop'?
12"Have you ever in your life commanded the morning,
And caused the dawn to know its place,
13That it might take hold of the ends of the earth,
And the wicked be shaken out of it?
14"It is changed like clay under the seal;
And they stand forth like a garment.
15"From the wicked their light is withheld,
And the uplifted arm is broken.
16"Have you entered into the springs of the sea
Or walked in the recesses of the deep?
17"Have the gates of death been revealed to you,
Or have you seen the gates of deep darkness?
18"Have you understood the expanse of the earth?
Tell Me, if you know all this.
19"Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
And darkness, where is its place,
20That you may take it to its territory
And that you may discern the paths to its home?
21"You know, for you were born then,
And the number of your days is great!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Man's picture of God is mostly based on what he understands of his own nature, not on a reality of God's nature.
It is clear God makes almost no demands on us in this life. If we ignore him we will just live our lives and die.
However If we believe in God, we accept along with this belief, a set of ideas beliefs and values on both how we should live our lives, and what we should expect after death.
When we do this, God still does no exert any coercion in the matter; nor does God demonstrate any lack of tolerance towards us.
The only lack of tolerance shown is between those people of different faith. Or between those within a faith towards others, who demonstrate back sliding and a lack of commitment.

As to the tolerance that God will show us after death, this varies on ones Beliefs.
I believe no tolerance is necessary, as we will all stand before him Pure and shorn of our sins and notions of self.

LoveNeverFails

Something of a Dreamer...
Man's picture of God is mostly based on what he understands of his own nature, not on a reality of God's nature.
It is clear God makes almost no demands on us in this life. If we ignore him we will just live our lives and die.
However If we believe in God, we accept along with this belief, a set of ideas beliefs and values on both how we should live our lives, and what we should expect after death.
When we do this, God still does no exert any coercion in the matter; nor does God demonstrate any lack of tolerance towards us.
The only lack of tolerance shown is between those people of different faith. Or between those within a faith towards others, who demonstrate back sliding and a lack of commitment.

As to the tolerance that God will show us after death, this varies on ones Beliefs.
I believe no tolerance is necessary, as we will all stand before him Pure and shorn of our sins and notions of self.

I agree with much of this...but I do see the Bible as containing many spiritual truths and guidelines to reaching the Almighty's heart. I think if one goes through life not thinking about God then they are largley not going to feel His influence. Why? Because those who seek God must first believe that He exists, and secondly must believe that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Without faith, it is impossible to please God. So, once a human being excercises faith in God then they have unlocked the door, so to speak, for God to enter in and improve their lives as He sees fit. God rewards our faith in Him. I believe that those who believe and serve God can expect in general to be blessed people--and this doesn't always mean money (althought it can). I think God wants His servants blessed so that others will look at us and want what we have... :angel2:

Ringer

Jar of Clay
doppelgänger;941055 said:
That's why Jesus came to redeem "God" rather than to redeem "His" creatures. The Bible is the story of the redemption and maturation of "God" into an agent capable of moral development and a theory of mind.

And how did you come to this conclusion?

Ringer

Jar of Clay
doppelgänger;941126 said:
By reading the Bible and deciding what I think it means.

Obviously. I was hoping for more of an explanation though as to why you believe God needed to be redeemed and not us.