• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Is Not A Tolerant God

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sojourner said:
Paul's society (and therefore his POV) was male-dominant. I think we have to ligitimately ask ourselves this question: If Paul were a 21st century American, and not a 1st century Jew, what would he have to say to us?

You are correct.

Sandy said:
Matthew 22:29

Merely saying I am wrong is not a defense. But why should I expect any more?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sandy said:
I don't have to defend any position only point out that ye do err by not knowing scripture.

I was always under the impression a debate was defending your position and attacking the other's position.

LoveNeverFails

Something of a Dreamer...
Regarding the OP, I think Homer Simpson best summed up the modern Christian view of God:

"God loves you! God's going to killllll you!" :rolleyes:

If traditional Hell is real, how does the threat of endlessly torturing us convince us that God loves us and that we should love Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength?

Of course God won't tolerate such things in His kingdom. That's what the Lake of Fire is for--or a more proper Greek tranliteration would be "Haven or Harbor of Divine Purification."

Do not throw out one set of Scriptures in favor of another. Rather, seek to harmonize them…For man shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Out of the same Bible...

"Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him” (2 Samuel 14:14).

“For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. Though He brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love. For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men. (Lam 3:31-33)

God will not tolerate sin. The Bible definately speaks of punishments and rewards in the afterlife for the decisions we make in this life.

But if traditional hell is true, when and how will “all nations” praise Him, come to Him, serve Him, be blessed in Him and bow to Him? (Psalm 45:17, Ps. 86:9, Isaiah 62:11, Daniel 7:14 Ps 66:1, Ps 72:11, Ps 102:15, Jer. 3:17, Ps 72:17, Isa. 2:2, Isa. 11:10, Isa. 52:10, Rev. 5:13 etc.)

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Give me a great big hug LoveNeverFails. :hug:

I used to be a Christian Universalist and even though I am an Atheist now, I still have great respect and a warm place in my heart for Universalists. Fight the good fight within Christendom. :D

LoveNeverFails

Give me a great big hug LoveNeverFails. :hug:

I used to be a Christian Universalist and even though I am an Atheist now, I still have great respect and a warm place in my heart for Universalists. Fight the good fight within Christendom. :D

Wow thanks! :D May I ask what made you abandon your former beliefs?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
LoveNeverFails said:
May I ask what made you abandon your former beliefs?

A lack of evidence.

sandy whitelinger said:
You wish me to defend the position that you don't know scripture?

I said that God (If Paul truly speaks for Him) was a misogynist and gave Scripture to back it up. You merely told me that I do not understand the Scriptures. You have no shown why my interpretation of Scripture is wrong or how God is not a misogynist.

Sandy said:
You want us to debate a cartoon character?

No, but his quote is relevant.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I said that God (If Paul truly speaks for Him) was a misogynist and gave Scripture to back it up. You merely told me that I do not understand the Scriptures. You have no shown why my interpretation of Scripture is wrong or how God is not a misogynist.
I can give scripture to present a more complete view of the nature of God if you wish. This would only prove my point though that you are ignorant of scripture and the power of God.

LoveNeverFails

A lack of evidence.

We think having faith means being convinced God exists in the same way we are convinced a chair exists. People who cannot be completely convinced of God’s existence think faith is impossible for them. Not so. People who doubt can have great faith because faith is something you do, not something you think. In fact, the greater your doubt the more heroic your faith. --Unknown

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sandy said:
I can give scripture to present a more complete view of the nature of God if you wish. This would only prove my point though that you are ignorant of scripture and the power of God.

God's power equals Omnipotence. And go ahead. Give me what you've got.

LoveNeverFails said:
We think having faith means being convinced God exists in the same way we are convinced a chair exists. People who cannot be completely convinced of God’s existence think faith is impossible for them. Not so. People who doubt can have great faith because faith is something you do, not something you think. In fact, the greater your doubt the more heroic your faith. --Unknown

I cannot believe in something I doubt exists.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
LoveNeverFails said:
It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists. :sorry1::p:foot::D:angel2: --Mohandas Gandhi

I fight against God because He does exist. Not in the way a Theist believes in Him. He is not in any spacial location. He exists in the hearts and minds of everyone who believes in Him. God is alive in the suicide bombers who kill innocents in Israel. God was alive in every Crusader. It is this God I fight against. As the other members of this forum can testify, I do not bother any peaceful and loving person who believes in God. It is not my objective to "convert" them to Atheism.

LoveNeverFails

I fight against God because He does exist. Not in the way a Theist believes in Him. He is not in any spacial location. He exists in the hearts and minds of everyone who believes in Him. God is alive in the suicide bombers who kill innocents in Israel. God was alive in every Crusader. It is this God I fight against. As the other members of this forum can testify, I do not bother any peaceful and loving person who believes in God. It is not my objective to "convert" them to Atheism.

I see...well, if that is the only "god" you are going after, then godspeed my friend. ;) Fight the good fight of....aithiesm, LOL...

An atheist may be simply one whose faith and love are concentrated on the impersonal aspects of God. --Simone Weil

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
LoveNeverFails said:
I see...well, if that is the only "god" you are going after, then godspeed my friend. ;) Fight the good fight of....aithiesm, LOL...

An atheist may be simply one whose faith and love are concentrated on the impersonal aspects of God. --Simone Weil

Thanks for the support. :D

Sandy Whitelinger said:
What definition of misogyny do you wish to use for me to disprove your supposition?

Misogyny is defined as, in the dictionary, "hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women." That won't really do for my point, since a man can still love his dog and still treat the dog like a dog.

I will define misogyny in this case as, "the belief that women are subject to men."

1 Corinthians 14:34 (New International Version)
...women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.

The above verse is absolute: "women must." No matter how intelligent a women is, she is still treated as less than a man. That is what bigotry is. It is the refusal to see any gray areas. "they [women] should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." I know you will not see this as sexist bigotry, Sandy. Those of us who are not slaves to the Will of God can see it as plain as day.