• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God screwed Adam and Eve

Aquitaine

That's not part of the story. According to the story, it simply happened to the two of them. The idea that we are all cursed from this sin came much later, and is strictly Christian. (Not all Christians believe it, either.)

True, but still the story itself doesn't make any sense.

It's like me creating an infant, then creating a colourfull toy (that I do not want it to play with) a few feet away from it, then I create it's Mother who will tempt the child to play with the toy (not that it needs any help tempting, since by nature it will be tempted anyways), then when the infant plays with it, I damn both of them.

For an Omni-Max God, it's either:

1) A rather stupid thing to do.

2) A rather Sadistic thing to do.

:shrug:

Out of interest, Riverwolf, do you literally belief that story?

Heneni

Miss Independent
In Genisis god tells Adam and Eve not to eat from the Treee of Knowledge of good and evil. He then gets mad when they do and kicks them out of the garden,why?

1) How were they suppose to know that eating from the tree would get them kicked out? how were they suppose to know that it was wrong to?

2) If god opened up the possibility of "free will" with this act, why didn't he just make humans like that from the beginning?

Someone told me oncer that it wasn't "wrong" for them to eat the fruit, but because they didn't listen to god, they were kicked out. If it wasn't wrong, why were they kicked out?

Hi there nonbeliever! Hope you doing well. When adam and eve ate from the tree they became corruptable...that means their bodies started to age. (They would surely die God told them) I guess having two beings with corruptable flesh living in an incorruptable environment wouldnt do. I don't believe that the garden of eden was on this earth. I believe that adam and eve was banished out of an incorruptable world (paradise)into a world that does decay (earth). When they sinned their sin was imputed into their blood. Sin imputed blood results in death. No sin in the blood...no death, hence Jesus had to have the sins of the world imputed into his blood in order to die, otherwise he never would have been able to die, but since he had no sin of his own, death could not keep a hold on him.

Heneni

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

It's like me creating an infant, then creating a colourfull toy (that I do not want it to play with) a few feet away from it, then I create it's Mother who will tempt the child to play with the toy (not that it needs any help tempting, since by nature it will be tempted anyways), then when the infant plays with it, I damn both of them.

I believe the story has two possible meanings: one, the "fall" of a hunter-gatherer society to a farming society; two, adolescence.

I do not literally believe ANY mythological story. The telling of the factual history of the earth and mankind belongs to scientists, not bards.

Freelancer7

Who say's God told Adam anything??? Perhaps a false God told Adam not to Eat it??Do you believe everything you read? Just a possibility of course!

Freelancer7

And you might say, well who could do such a thing?? Did you see passion of the Christ, when a certain character controls a snake and tries to Tempt the 'Son', no different to Revelation CH19 verse 20 to be honest?! They say thay who care seems like that they are 'not all their??' Never mind?!

nonbeliever_92

Hi there nonbeliever! Hope you doing well. When adam and eve ate from the tree they became corruptable...that means their bodies started to age. (They would surely die God told them) I guess having two beings with corruptable flesh living in an incorruptable environment wouldnt do. I don't believe that the garden of eden was on this earth. I believe that adam and eve was banished out of an incorruptable world (paradise)into a world that does decay (earth). When they sinned their sin was imputed into their blood. Sin imputed blood results in death. No sin in the blood...no death, hence Jesus had to have the sins of the world imputed into his blood in order to die, otherwise he never would have been able to die, but since he had no sin of his own, death could not keep a hold on him.

Heneni

Sure answered my questions

Riverwolf

Premium Member
And you might say, well who could do such a thing?? Did you see passion of the Christ, when a certain character controls a snake and tries to Tempt the 'Son', no different to Revelation CH19 verse 20 to be honest?! They say thay who care seems like that they are 'not all their??' Never mind?!

Passion of the Christ is a terrible film. The only part worth watching is the confrontation with Satan at the beginning(which is awsome); the rest is just a splatter flick involving Jesus, with some random scenes that don't mean or do anything to move the story along.

Besides, what's Christ got to do with the story? We're talking about the Jewish myth from the Torah.

Watchmen

Premium Member

either/or fallacy

How about 3) it was a rather nice thing to do as it provided the trigger by which Man could become more like God.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Passion of the Christ is a terrible film. The only part worth watching is the confrontation with Satan at the beginning(which is awsome); the rest is just a splatter flick involving Jesus, with some random scenes that don't mean or do anything to move the story along.

Besides, what's Christ got to do with the story? We're talking about the Jewish myth from the Torah.

Well, it is from the Catholic POV. You do know what "passion" means in this context, right?

Troublemane

He told them not to eat from the tree or they would die. The snake told them they would not die but become like god, with knowledge of good and evil. Who was telling the truth? The snake was. God was lying.

At the end of the story, god says "behold they have become like us, with knowledge of good and evil"....like us? he was in collusion with the snake the whole time.

My interpretation of the myth is this: once we were animals without intellect, and lived in a primate paradise. We had no understanding of ourselves, of the world, etc. and so we were happy. But once we evolved into Homo Sapiens, and gained a cerebral cortex, we no longer were in the paradise of animal ignorance, and we started to become aware of our own mortality.

Neanderthals buried their dead. Early man was afraid of death, this is different from animals who have no self-awareness. But because we are aware of good and evil, it means we must make our own way in the world, and we have become like gods...creators and destroyers in our own little way. :trampo:

Watchmen

Premium Member
He told them not to eat from the tree or they would die. The snake told them they would not die but become like god, with knowledge of good and evil. Who was telling the truth? The snake was. God was lying.

At the end of the story, god says "behold they have become like us, with knowledge of good and evil"....like us? he was in collusion with the snake the whole time.

My interpretation of the myth is this: once we were animals without intellect, and lived in a primate paradise. We had no understanding of ourselves, of the world, etc. and so we were happy. But once we evolved into Homo Sapiens, and gained a cerebral cortex, we no longer were in the paradise of animal ignorance, and we started to become aware of our own mortality.

Neanderthals buried their dead. Early man was afraid of death, this is different from animals who have no self-awareness. But because we are aware of good and evil, it means we must make our own way in the world, and we have become like gods...creators and destroyers in our own little way. :trampo:

Actually, they suffered a spiritual death...so, God did not lie.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
If one withholds information that would otherwise lead another to a more accurate conclusion that is as good as lying. If this god outright said 'spiritual' death, and explained whatever that is sopposed to mean, it would be different. But as it is, this god lied. It's like calling women a minority dispite the fact that they make up 54% of the american populace. They're a politcal minority, not an actual minority. Anyway, god through them out of the garden for no ethical reason. No one has been able to say why adam and eve eating the fruit is an unethical action. The abrahamic god is a waist of imagination. He needs to be forgotten.

Why does it always have to be about ethics?

Besides, you know as well as I do that this God will NEVER be forgotten.

Humanistheart

Why does it always have to be about ethics?

It's a sad day when things aren't about ethics, but specifically with this, ethics relates back to the OP of this thread of how in this story this exeedingly unethical god screw adam and eve over (not to mention the serpeant and the whole of the human race). That seems a good enough reason for the here and now.

Besides, you know as well as I do that this God will NEVER be forgotten.

I'm sure many individuals said this about their society, culture, or god's in the past too. Societies that have no mention in our history, or which are a merely a small footnote now. You might be right, in that humans may always have the knowledge that this god was believed in once, locked away somewhere, but it will be as obscure as any other god that's losts it's followers, and will only be mentioned in context, like when people study the europe's middle ages. For example, stop a few random people on the street and see how many of them know about mithras.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It's a sad day when things aren't about ethics, but specifically with this, ethics relates back to the OP of this thread of how in this story this exeedingly unethical god screw adam and eve over (not to mention the serpeant and the whole of the human race). That seems a good enough reason for the here and now.

How did he screw the rest of us over? That's not part of the original story.

Please try to keep the discussion within the realms of the story itself and WITHOUT both Christian interpretation as well as modern cultural bias.

I'm sure many individuals said this about their society, culture, or god's in the past too. Societies that have no mention in our history, or which are a merely a small footnote now. You might be right, in that humans may always have the knowledge that this god was believed in once, locked away somewhere, but it will be as obscure as any other god that's losts it's followers, and will only be mentioned in context, like when people study the europe's middle ages. For example, stop a few random people on the street and see how many of them know about mithras.
Tell me how many books were written at the time Mithras was around, how many books and films were made where Mithras was mentioned or prominently featured, and how many cultures followed this cult.