• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God/Yahweh/Allah I BELIEVE started as volcanic activity

The Fog Horn

Sigmund Freud died in 1939!:eek:

I wonder why a psychoanalyst could ever discuss that....

I stand corrected. I'm not an expert on Freud and am actually not an expert on anything other than my business, but I have lots of bits of information to pass on to see if someone wants to investigate further.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I stand corrected. I'm not an expert on Freud and am actually not an expert on anything other than my business, but I have lots of bits of information to pass on to see if someone wants to investigate further.

If you pull one piece of garbage out of a bag, it generally indicates the entire contents of the bag.

Trey of Diamonds

You can dangle carrots all you want but that's not what you're shoveling.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Contrary to what conspiracy theory stories would have you believe, you need more than a few bits of information to form a solid conclusion.

Renji

Then better clarify the info's you are giving here. :)

I'm not here to discuss your religion. I'm here to discuss what the Hebrews were worshipping in Exodus. Sorry if that offends you. :rolleyes:

It doesn't. But when you say 'God', 'God' is referenced in other religions.

In your original post, you said that monotheism in general is resultant of some volcano archetype. But in other monotheistic religions such as Vaishnavism and Sikhism, no such symbol exists.

Instead you should say the God of Abrahamic religions to reference those, rather than give blatant generalisations in terms of monotheists at large. Especially in a religious forum like this! :shrug:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm not here to discuss your religion. I'm here to discuss what the Hebrews were worshipping in Exodus. Sorry if that offends you. :rolleyes:
The term "God" does not just belong to "what the Hebrews were worshipping in Exodus", or even just to Abrahamic religions, though.

Sorry if that offends you. :p

The Fog Horn

Sorry for being a bit half hearted after a full on start. I've been distracted.

It would be a lot easier if I could post all the Bible verses that very clearly show Yahweh described as a volcano. If someone could give me permission to post them all in one go then that would be great. I cannot imagine anyone going through this list and not seeing that the god of the Hebrews was a volcano and volcanic activity.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

It would be a lot easier if I could post all the Bible verses that very clearly show Yahweh described as a volcano. If someone could give me permission to post them all in one go then that would be great. I cannot imagine anyone going through this list and not seeing that the god of the Hebrews was a volcano and volcanic activity.

I guess that makes us even. I can't imagine most people believing that the God of the Hebrews (Abraham's God) is a volcano or even started out that way. :)

Riverwolf

Premium Member

We don't need to see that.

Show us which volcanoes you think would be prime candidates.

muslim-

I thought I wrote a reply and that your post was much longer as well. Did you delete the original thread and re-write it?

The Fog Horn

We don't need to see that.

Show us which volcanoes you think would be prime candidates.

You can't anyway....it's not permitted to post lots of Bible verses.

Volcanoes and volcanic activity is rife along the Great Rift Valley, going from the Jordan Rift Valley down towards the African Rift Valley through Saudi. This is a techtonic plate ridge and, although information is extremely scant, my research suggests there has been seismic activity within the timescale needed. There are volcanoes, volcanic fields (with lava vents, gas leaks, etc), earthquakes, etc. My belief to date, and it's not set in stone, is that the volcanoes were in North-Western Saudi to the East of the Gulf of Aqaba. You can look the potential sites up pretty easily. I also believe that Mecca was central to the Hebrews' religion and this would explain the link to Islam. It's important to note that the Bible uses various names for mountains of God and this could reflect different volcanoes. The burning bush supposedly seen by Moses could have been a flaming natural gas leak, which is not uncommon in a volcanic field.

There are no volcanoes in Egypt (or Sinai P), which offers one explanation for why the Hebrews worshipped volcanoes in Saudi; they had never seen any before and thought they were divine. There is one volcano directly North of Egypt in the Mediterranean Sea that caused the biggest eruption in recorded history....Thera (Santorini). The dating of the eruption is still being debated, as is the dating of the Exodus, but it is possible they happened around the same time. The eruption was so massive it was felt around the world and even killed crops in China. All the ten plagues can be explained due to the eruption and related seismic activity it must surely have triggered, or maybe the eruption was triggered by seismic activity in the Rift Valley. You can easily find information on Santorini and its potential relationship with the ten plagues and Exodus.

That's it for tonight as I'm very tired. Thanks for asking the question. Tomorrow I will talk about lions if I get chance. Yes, lions :)

Lamentations 4:11 The LORD has given full vent to his wrath; he has poured out his fierce anger. He kindled a fire in Zion that consumed her foundations.

Ezekiel 7:8 I am about to pour out my wrath on you and spend my anger against you; I will judge you according to your conduct and repay you for all your detestable practices.

Last edited:

Renji

Says who?

Volcanoes and volcanic activity is rife along the Great Rift Valley, going from the Jordan Rift Valley down towards the African Rift Valley through Saudi. This is a techtonic plate ridge and, although information is extremely scant, my research suggests there has been seismic activity within the timescale needed. There are volcanoes, volcanic fields (with lava vents, gas leaks, etc), earthquakes, etc. My belief to date, and it's not set in stone, is that the volcanoes were in North-Western Saudi to the East of the Gulf of Aqaba. You can look the potential site up pretty easily. I also believe that Mecca was central to the Hebrews' religion and this would explain the link to Islam.

There are no volcanoes in Egypt, which offers one explanation for why the Hebrews worshipped volcanoes in Saudi; they had never seen any before and thought they were divine. There is one volcano directly North of Egypt that caused the biggest eruption in recorded history....Thera (Santorini). The dating of the eruption is still being debated, as is the dating of the Exodus, but it is possible they happened around the same time. The eruption was so massive it was felt around the world and even killed crops in China. All the ten plagues can be explained due to the eruption and related seismic activity it must surely have triggered, or maybe the eruption was trigger by seismic activity in the Rift Valley. You can easily find information on Santorini and its potential relationship with the ten plagues and Exodus.

That's it for tonight as I'm very tired. Thanks for asking the question.

Even the "angel of death" who killed only the first born of the Egyptians and their animals? Can a volcanic eruption "select" its victims?

The Fog Horn

Says who?

I think it breaches a rule to say so I'd better not anything as I don't want this thread to be removed.

Even the "angel of death" who killed only the first born of the Egyptians and their animals? Can a volcanic eruption "select" its victims?

Please look into this yourself. I'm here to offer you lead-ins and not to spoon feed, the latter not being possible. I'm too busy and too tired. Please google 'exodus santorini' or 'ten plagues thera'. I'm sure you can do it :p

Riverwolf

Premium Member

But you CAN link to another page with the relevant verses. ;)

Volcanoes and volcanic activity is rife along the Great Rift Valley, going from the Jordan Rift Valley down towards the African Rift Valley through Saudi.

A brief bit of research seems to indicate that there hasn't been major volcanic activity around that area in tens of thousands of years:

Global Volcanism Program | Volcanoes of the World | Volcanoes of the Middle East and the Indian Ocean | Map

This is a techtonic plate ridge and, although information is extremely scant, my research suggests there has been seismic activity within the timescale needed.

Sources?

There are volcanoes, volcanic fields (with lava vents, gas leaks, etc), earthquakes, etc. My belief to date, and it's not set in stone, is that the volcanoes were in North-Western Saudi to the East of the Gulf of Aqaba. You can look the potential sites up pretty easily. I also believe that Mecca was central to the Hebrews' religion and this would explain the link to Islam. It's important to note that the Bible uses various names for mountains of God and this could reflect different volcanoes. The burning bush supposedly seen by Moses could have been a flaming natural gas leak, which is not uncommon in a volcanic field.

There are no volcanoes in Egypt (or Sinai P), which offers one explanation for why the Hebrews worshipped volcanoes in Saudi; they had never seen any before and thought they were divine. There is one volcano directly North of Egypt in the Mediterranean Sea that caused the biggest eruption in recorded history....Thera (Santorini). The dating of the eruption is still being debated, as is the dating of the Exodus, but it is possible they happened around the same time. The eruption was so massive it was felt around the world and even killed crops in China. All the ten plagues can be explained due to the eruption and related seismic activity it must surely have triggered, or maybe the eruption was triggered by seismic activity in the Rift Valley. You can easily find information on Santorini and its potential relationship with the ten plagues and Exodus.

The historocity of the exodus is debated, let alone when it may have happened.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Freud tried to convince people of it in the 70s but no-one spent any time investigating it because it was such a hot potato. I am a human being and not a scholar. However some things can be worked out by children and not adults due to those things actually requiring an ability to see things in simplistic forms. This is one of those things. I am not a child but I am able to see through the fanciness to the bare bones.

Thanks for your question :D
In which '70s? You do realize he died over 70 years ago, don't you?

I will post many Bible verses to start us off if that is permitted on this forum. Please advise.
Since when is the Bible a history or anthropology book? Why not post verses from Homer or or the Grimm brothers?

The Google search phrase below will take you to the Wikipedia page for Freud's book 'Moses and Monotheism', which discussed the theory that Abrahamic monotheism started out in Saudi Arabia as volcanic activity.
'Wikipedia.....Moses and Monotheism by Sigmund Freud'...
OK, so Moses was actually an Egyptian, not a Hebrew. His followers revolted and killed him, then merged with a with a tribe worshiping Vulcan the volcano God. Modern Jewish religiosity stems from collective guilt for having murdered Moses.
Geez -- L. Ron Hubbard had nothing on Freud.
Seriously, Foggy. Freud's ideas even in his specialty area of psychology have been largely discredited, but as a historian... well... honi soit qui mal y pense.

I have read those rules and do not know where I have broken them in this or past threads. Can you please be specific with each rule so that I can ensure I do not break them? Thank you.
Just don't preach, FogHorn, unless you're prepared to be shot down. Remember, among intellectuals it's considered an insult not to challenge an opinion, so have some logical or empirical backing for anything you propose, 'cause it will be challenged.

I have no problem with Bible verses as theological criticism, I'm actually quite curious, but keep in mind, the Bible's an anthology of Hebrew and Christian mythology, not a history book.