• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods plan?

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Agreed. Just because Billy knows Timmy is going to learn to breakdance, doesn't mean Timmy has already learned to breakdance.

I know. But I like breakdancing, and what you said sounded a lot like the free will vs foreknowledge concern, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Griggsy

I know. But I like breakdancing, and what you said sounded a lot like the free will vs foreknowledge concern, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

I want to know How you knew my real name is Timmy and gods name is Billy. I think i would call him William because it sounds more formal and godlike.:disco: Hammer time!

DavyCrocket2003

Thanks for the replies folks but theres nothing really new there. This "Free will" answer doesn't really cut the mustard with me. If god is perfect and all knowing then he knows not only how it all ends but how we get there. So being that he created us and he knows all the shiz, then its not really free will at all, just the illusion of it. As I see it, by saying that free will exists it is suggesting that god is imperfect and therefore not really a god at all.

So there can be no perfect God then?

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Thanks for the replies folks but theres nothing really new there. This "Free will" answer doesn't really cut the mustard with me. If god is perfect and all knowing then he knows not only how it all ends but how we get there. So being that he created us and he knows all the shiz, then its not really free will at all, just the illusion of it. As I see it, by saying that free will exists it is suggesting that god is imperfect and therefore not really a god at all.
Perhaps it is the understanding of "perfection" that needs to be addressed. Perfection does not mean precognition.
The parameters of who/what God is would need to be addressed first. If you think God knows how everything will work out all the time (no freewill) then there is no purpose to anything. So if that is who God is to you then there is no need to ask questions, just hold on. If not, then more possibilities open up.

Griggsy

Perhaps it is the understanding of "perfection" that needs to be addressed. Perfection does not mean precognition.
The parameters of who/what God is would need to be addressed first. If you think God knows how everything will work out all the time (no freewill) then there is no purpose to anything. So if that is who God is to you then there is no need to ask questions, just hold on. If not, then more possibilities open up.

In hindsight I suppose omniscient would have been a better choice of words. I don't believe in any god and frankly I think purpose is overrated.

yonah34

Numbers 35:7 "So all the cities which ye shall give to the Levites shall be forty and eight cities: them shall ye give with their suburbs." KJV

Griggsy

Numbers 35:7 "So all the cities which ye shall give to the Levites shall be forty and eight cities: them shall ye give with their suburbs." KJV

Kmarn! Enough with the random quoting of bible verse, please take the time to explain its context and meaning as bible verse can be manipulative, confusing or even outright mean.

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9 NAB
:thud:

ninerbuff

godless wonder
If this imaginary god has a plan, it's been drafted, pre determined and done. Apparently nothing we can do can change the outcome. So just go along with whatever you are doing since you'll end up where you're supposed to be anyway.:D

Griggsy

If this imaginary god has a plan, it's been drafted, pre determined and done. Apparently nothing we can do can change the outcome. So just go along with whatever you are doing since you'll end up where you're supposed to be anyway.:D

Thats pretty much on the money.

DavyCrocket2003

That sounds a little too definite, there well maybe a perfect god, I just cant see how it can be the biblical one. pls enlighten me.
Hmm..., the way I see it, the best thing about God is that he lets us make choices. In letting us make choices, he is letting us be real beings, not weird automatons. If God forces us to act in a certain way, or simply creates us as deterministic systems of particles, we don't really exist in any meaningful way. What I am asking is, is it possible for God to be good, and allow us to have free will?

Griggsy

Hmm..., the way I see it, the best thing about God is that he lets us make choices. In letting us make choices, he is letting us be real beings, not weird automatons. If God forces us to act in a certain way, or simply creates us as deterministic systems of particles, we don't really exist in any meaningful way. What I am asking is, is it possible for God to be good, and allow us to have free will?

This has been covered you need to read the whole thread.

Tre-L

Two Tears In a Bucket

We have no real control in life; control is an illusion. Free will is non existent in the grand scheme of things. I think about this and realize that If we were destined to die off as a species, then there is nothing we can do about it. Even so, one of our strongest instincts is self preservation. The problem is that we are usually only looking out for self, and neglect others in our attempt to survive.

I honestly think the world would be better off without mankind (As we are today). We are prone to selfishness and most of us rarely considers the well being of others. If we did then there would be much less violence, poverty would be at a minimum, and hunger would be practically non- existent, etc. In the end (Live or die) we have no choice when it comes to the fate of mankind.

It's kinda like what Forrest Gump said: "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. Unless our desires change, we are on the fast rack to the grave. The question is, "What will it take to change our desires"? Are we even capable of change? Religion has been attempting to change man for ages after all.

It doesn't look very promising for our kind. I sometimes question whether or not humanism is the answer? Religion is pretty much a mixed bag, so I don't place much faith in religion. Besides, the religious fanatics often add to our division (Atheists too).

Humanists have to place their hope in mankind, which has got to be trying at best. Then again, if there is a God, do you really think He created us to destroy ourselves? I don't, which is one reason I believe that mankind will one day prevail, and grow past our destructive natures. Even though it doesn't look promising for mankind, I remain hopeful.

In the end, all we can do is live as we desire. When we desire change we will change. Until then, it's the same old song and dance, knowing that free will is not so free. :facepalm:

Walkntune

If there is indeed a god and he has a perfect grand plan, why bother praying for somebody or something? :sarcastic
Maybe praying has more to do with us laying down our will to be in His then it does to get Him to be in our will.

Walkntune

We have no real control in life; control is an illusion. Free will is non existent in the grand scheme of things. I think about this and realize that If we were destined to die off as a species, then there is nothing we can do about it. Even so, one of our strongest instincts is self preservation. The problem is that we are usually only looking out for self, and neglect others in our attempt to survive.

I honestly think the world would be better off without mankind (As we are today). We are prone to selfishness and most of us rarely considers the well being of others. If we did then there would be much less violence, poverty would be at a minimum, and hunger would be practically non- existent, etc. In the end (Live or die) we have no choice when it comes to the fate of mankind.

It's kinda like what Forrest Gump said: "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. Unless our desires change, we are on the fast rack to the grave. The question is, "What will it take to change our desires"? Are we even capable of change? Religion has been attempting to change man for ages after all.

It doesn't look very promising for our kind. I sometimes question whether or not humanism is the answer? Religion is pretty much a mixed bag, so I don't place much faith in religion. Besides, the religious fanatics often add to our division (Atheists too).

Humanists have to place their hope in mankind, which has got to be trying at best. Then again, if there is a God, do you really think He created us to destroy ourselves? I don't, which is one reason I believe that mankind will one day prevail, and grow past our destructive natures. Even though it doesn't look promising for mankind, I remain hopeful.

In the end, all we can do is live as we desire. When we desire change we will change. Until then, it's the same old song and dance, knowing that free will is not so free. :facepalm:
I agree with what you are saying.Man has used logic to create a resistance to nature and reality. Kind of like treating sickness where you have to treat the symptom of the symptom and so on.The world is getting cold and full of fear.So we will treat this fear as a sympton and find a logical solution to fix it.
In the end the fear will be faced and as you said the control is an illusion.

ruhnafsoul

ruhnafsoul
If there is indeed a god and he has a perfect grand plan, why bother praying for somebody or something? :sarcastic

hmm.. a simple answer to a simple question..

Our actions are according to our intentions.. Aways the intention will come first.. and we will react accordingly.. Never will we react without any intention or plan. Not to plan something is actually a plan.. an intention.

So how does it relates to GOD..? Hmm.. because the intentions / the plans that come out from us.. from within our mind or heart.. is created by GOD.
It doesnt appears just like that in our thoughts or heart or mind in every moment / seconds continously. Its alive.. and U will react according to the appeared intentions.. Thats why we say GOD is the Master Planner.. and HE is closer to U than your jugular vein, because HE is in the inside.

Hmm.. forgive me my LORD.

Onkara

hi ruhnafsoul
What about actions that harm others. Is it impossible or possible to act to hurt others if we know that God is inside, closer than our jugular vein?

Renji

I think that's a part of His plan. God wants an intimate relationship with us. Through prayer, we communicate with God, building a strong relationship with Him.

Why we pray? There's many reasons: to thank God, to ask for God's help in a particular need, because we love God, to ask forgiveness, because we love a particular person and we want to include him on our prayers, for protection etc.

Surely, God knows what's in your heart even before you pray. It's just that He wanted to build a "strong bond" with us. That is, through praying...