• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess the (CRT) Syllabus?

often discuss with my students how while slavery was a feature in MANY cultures worldwide, slavery in America was very unique and continues to have an impact on modern America. The retort, "But Africans were also enslaving Africans" doesn't mean much when one considers that American slavery is the reason that many black Americans are here

All forms of slavery were different to some degree, but what would you say makes American slavery, or perhaps slavery in the Americas, very unique (rather than say, on average, it being a particularly brutal form of slavery)?

Seeing as many people are in place X rather than place Y due to being the descendants of slaves, what would you say is special about the American case?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
As a result I think any argument that is based on “Theory X is a graduate level subject so it can’t be taught in K-12” is a bit misleading.
Some things you can actually say that about. This tends to be more advanced theories, concepts, mathematics and books that aren't even usually taught at the undergrad level due to the difficulty and requirement of prior knowledge to draw upon to comprehend the subject.

I think it would probably be helpful to explain why and how it happened, particularly race-based, generational slavery which came into being. It seems that the commonly presented view on history (not saying it has anything to do with CRT) is about making it excessively racialized to the point where it waters down and whitewashes the capitalistic elements - the motivation of greed and profit motive behind most of our historical atrocities. I think it's structured in such a way as to get the wealthy capitalists off the hook.

To a significant degree, racism was a consequence of slavery as opposed to slavery being a consequence of racism.

I’m not sure linking it specifically to capitalism is that beneficial though. Mass and industrial production increased the scale and form of slavery to some extent, but was this different to other forms of exploitation?

Greed and profit (or power and status) exist in most economic systems if any scale and slavery was useful in all.

The desire to increase your and your society’s power has driven most people and most societies.

Arguably, in the long run at least, industrialisation was actually responsible for reducing the need for slaves to underpin successful, large economies.

Shadow Wolf

Everyone swallows something.

"So did I not see the brazen displays of racism I saw in Indiana?"

I don't know. Did you?
Yes. I did. Nothing to swallow when you hear some dumb hick chicken going on about how people should still be able to own black people and deserve to lose a few teeth the way they talk about interracial kids.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes. I did. Nothing to swallow when you hear some dumb hick chicken going on about how people should still be able to own black people and deserve to lose a few teeth the way they talk about interracial kids.

Calling them "some dumb hick chicken"

How does that make you better than them?

It doesn't. You swallow and play their game. You are acting just like them. I see you as I see them.

Last edited:
Some things you can actually say that about. This tends to be more advanced theories, concepts, mathematics and books that aren't even usually taught at the undergrad level due to the difficulty and requirement of prior knowledge to draw upon to comprehend the subject.

With sciences and maths that’s certainly true.

Much less so with anything more literary, at least when it comes to giving people the gist of it.

Shadow Wolf

Calling them "some dumb hick chicken"

How does that make you better than them?

It doesn't. You swallow and play their game. You are acting just like then.
Yeah, I'm the same as them for calling out their ****.
And, yeah, when someond defends their racists ways and think it's just proper, yeah that person is a dumb, hick chicken.
What makes me better is I judge people by their actions, not because they simply exist.

Shadow Wolf

With sciences and maths that’s certainly true.

Much less so with anything more literary, at least when it comes to giving people the gist of it.
Nah, philosophy and law can also be far beyond the scope of K-12.

We Never Know

No Slack

You can't teach a horse to drink. It drinks when its thirsty.

Nah, philosophy and law can also be far beyond the scope of K-12.

As I said, the nuances maybe but the general concepts or conclusions usually not.

What general ideas (not technical details) do you think can’t be explained in any meaningful way to any school children?

Shadow Wolf

As I said, the nuances maybe but the general concepts or conclusions usually not.

What general ideas (not technical details) do you think can’t be explained in any meaningful way to any school children?
Hegel and Heidegger are two examples where it's just not going to work well for K-12. Even undergrad students can struggle with them.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah, I'm the same as them for calling out their ****.
And, yeah, when someond defends their racists ways and think it's just proper, yeah that person is a dumb, hick chicken.
What makes me better is I judge people by their actions, not because they simply exist.

If you say so. Why should anyone else see you any different than them?

You do what they do. Can you not figure that out?
You feed off them and feed them at the same time.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

You do what they do. Can you not figure that out?
You feed off them and feed them at the same time.
So, you wouldn't call out Klansmen and Nazis? You wouldn't oppose them, you wouldn't impede them, you'd just let them pollute the air with their ideological stench unopposed and unchallenged?