• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess the (CRT) Syllabus?

PureX

Veteran Member
White people in power passing laws banning the teaching of how white people in power use that power to ignore the harm they've caused non-white people by passing laws that favor themselves and harm people of color. All the while claiming that no such behavior has ever existed, or exists, now. And that to say that it doesexist is the equivalent of anti-white racism.

Well, ain't that special!

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Its all garbage. White, black, brown, yellow, green(martian), etc.

Rrace problems only thrive because people feed it and others swallow it. .

Problem is race is a societal construct whether we agree or not, and it has real impacts on real people. This alone makes it "real".

Even without the scientific biological basis for race.

Which is why it's a discussion that didn't end with the 60s civil rights mvmt.

It is ours, and a very recent part of our history. Built from mercantilism, it was tied to our economics despite being at odds with the ideals our country was founded on. While it wasn't the only place in the Americas where forced breeding in order to produce new slaves occurred, it was uniquely successful in the Southern states. It was also brutally racial and has informed our modern concepts of race in America.

So you mean it was unique in the same sense as Arab slavery was unique or Chinese slavery was unique as they all existed in different cultural contexts with slightly different applications and justifications, and impacted their societies in different ways?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What if the theory stands the riggors of testing and is shown to be true? There was a lot of pushback originally for teaching evolution in schools, and there still is even now. Should we stop teaching controversial subjects to younger students even if they are scientifically backed and important to understand why society is the way it is today?
It's why it should be at college level.

CRT claims to be essentally socioeconomic in nature as it addresses racism as a systemic issue, and not one that is proactive and actively maintained by Caucasians.

It still dosent address the notion of White privilege, which I think is the real underlying motivation which , as i see it, is to blame white people for all their problems.

Orbit

I'm a planet
It's why it should be at college level.

CRT claims to be essentally socioeconomic in nature as it addresses racism as a systemic issue, and not one that is proactive and actively maintained by Caucasians.

It still dosent address the notion of White privilege, which I think is the real underlying motivation which , as i see it, is to blame white people for all their problems.

Your last sentence is a paranoid fantasy that has nothing to do with CRT.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
How on earth do you level the field of intersectionality with "refuting critical thinking, logic, debate and science"? What on earth do you think "intersectionality theory" is?
From the proposal, resolution #5:

The "voice-of-color"thesis, according to which merely "minority status ... brings with it a presumed competence to speak about race and racism", a concept often used to discredit opposing arguments on the basis of the opposing person's race.

Put another way, IT seems often to claim that "lived experience trumps expertise". So what's interesting to me is this overlapping of IT and CRT.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Your last sentence is a paranoid fantasy that has nothing to do with CRT.
I guess Walmart, much less learning institutions, teaching on CRT is all erroneous and a fantasy.

OK.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
From the proposal, resolution #5:

The "voice-of-color"thesis, according to which merely "minority status ... brings with it a presumed competence to speak about race and racism", a concept often used to discredit opposing arguments on the basis of the opposing person's race.

Put another way, IT seems often to claim that "lived experience trumps expertise". So what's interesting to me is this overlapping of IT and CRT.

Well, yes and no. An expert can speak about being other humans, but you overlook something if you simply deny that I can know something about being me, that can be overlooked if you don't ask me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I guess Walmart, much less learning institutions, teaching on CRT is all erroneous and a fantasy.

OK.
Wanna know how problematic it is when companies misuse the MMPI?

icehorse

Premium Member
Well, yes and no. An expert can speak about being other humans, but you overlook something if you simply deny that I can know something about being me, that can be overlooked if you don't ask me.
It strikes me that when the context is public policy, we're of necessity using statistical claims in our conversations. So statistics based on lived experience seems valid to me. But an individual's lived experience can be no more than one data point, kind of by definition.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It strikes me that when the context is public policy, we're of necessity using statistical claims in our conversations. So statistics based on lived experience seems valid to me. But an individual's lived experience can be no more than one data point, kind of by definition.

No, there is more to it than that. Sometimes experts overlook a factor that can be relevant.
Remember this is science and even though a broken analog clock is only right 2 times a day, you still have to listen. Remember science learns by being wrong.

Orbit

I'm a planet

OK.

I wouldn't hold WalMart up as the paragon of scholarly theory.....so they have a dumb program, so what?

icehorse

Premium Member
No, there is more to it than that. Sometimes experts overlook a factor that can be relevant.
Remember this is science and even though a broken analog clock is only right 2 times a day, you still have to listen. Remember science learns by being wrong.
Sure, scientists make mistakes. And good ones are very open about that.

But that doesn't somehow elevate the importance of a single data point.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
So you mean it was unique in the same sense as Arab slavery was unique or Chinese slavery was unique as they all existed in different cultural contexts with slightly different applications and justifications, and impacted their societies in different ways?

Basically. Is there any other way for them to be unique?

Chattel slavery with all its inhumanity existed long before America. The Arab slave trade may have even seen more slaves than what American slavery included.

I do suspect the practice of slave breeding may have been a much bigger problem in America, though. I'd be interested in some contrary evidence if there is some.

But my point is that there is often a response when discussing impacts of American slavery that deals with slavery being practiced elsewhere, or that there were black or Indigenous slave owners, but that doesn't change the insidious nature of American slavery or its impact on its descendants and modern America.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I must've dreamed the last decade in US politics, where the people that want to ban subjects they don't approve of were ranting constantly about freedom of speech. It was almost like they would say anything to get what they wanted. Adopt and then violate any principle if it served them.

Dreams are funny like that, I suppose.

Anyway, I don't know anything much about CRT except the wiki page and that it terrifies the facebook uncles and aunties. The following is snipped from the wiki page:

Scholars of CRT say that race is not "biologically grounded and natural";[7][8] rather, it is a socially constructed category used to oppress and exploit people of color;[34] and that racism is not an aberration,[35] but a normalized feature of American society.[34] According to CRT, negative stereotypes assigned to members of minority groups benefit white people[34] and increase racial oppression.[36] Individuals can belong to a number of different identity groups.[34] The concept of intersectionality—one of CRT's main concepts—was introduced by legal scholar Kimberlé Crenshaw.[37]

This all seems fairly straightforward. More importantly, and maybe my bias is showing, but this seems obviously true. And not just in America. What reason could there be from banning students from learning this stuff?

icehorse

Premium Member
This all seems fairly straightforward. More importantly, and maybe my bias is showing, but this seems obviously true. And not just in America. What reason could there be from banning students from learning this stuff?
Do you imagine this is all there is to it? Did you read the school's proposal, it's not long.