• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess the (CRT) Syllabus?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You clearly have not one damn idea what CRT is if you draw comparisons to WRT. I also have to seriously wonder if you even know what WRT is.
Of course. White people are in no way implicated ever in CRT.

They even will omit from ever mentioning white privilege and retract it entirely from CRT.

Am I right?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

They even will omit from ever mentioning white privilege and retract it entirely from CRT.

Am I right?
You feel guilty? I don't feel guilty. Nobody tells me to, I see no reason to feel guilty, so I don't.
You need thicker skin.

We Never Know

No Slack

Am I right?

What its "white priviledge"?

Why can only "whites" be racists?

To be honest, whites killed my people and heritage.... Blacks helped the whites do it.

Do you see me crying, whining and *****ing?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
All forms of slavery were different to some degree, but what would you say makes American slavery, or perhaps slavery in the Americas, very unique (rather than say, on average, it being a particularly brutal form of slavery)?

Seeing as many people are in place X rather than place Y due to being the descendants of slaves, what would you say is special about the American case?

It is ours, and a very recent part of our history. Built from mercantilism, it was tied to our economics despite being at odds with the ideals our country was founded on. While it wasn't the only place in the Americas where forced breeding in order to produce new slaves occurred, it was uniquely successful in the Southern states. It was also brutally racial and has informed our modern concepts of race in America.

PureX

Veteran Member
Seems to me they are proving true the very systemic, power based racism that they are trying to erase the acknowledgement of. And how much you wanna bet that every single politician pushing this is white?

These people are exactly the reason we need to teach kids about systemic racism and how it gets perpetuated by white people in power.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
What its "white privilege"?
The social and economic advantages that tend to result from being white in areas that generally have greater outcomes for white people. All groups - even disadvantaged and minority groups - have some degree of "privilege" in some regard, the question is whether these privileges are disproportionately socially effecting one group over another.

Why can only "whites" be racists?
I disagree with this particular characterisation of racism, but I don't believe the idea is that "only whites" can be racist, it's that racism requires a degree of social or systemic power; or, as others tend to put it, racism = prejudice + power. By this definition, black people CAN be racist if they are the ones in power. It's less about what is and is not racism in a colloquial sense, but more about acknowledging that the effect of racism by one group (the group in power against a minority) is not qualitatively or quantitatively the same as racism by the other (the minority group). I find it unhelpful to define racism in those terms in general conversation though, as it muddies the water far too much.

To be honest, whites killed my people and heritage.... Blacks helped the whites do it.
I would like to hear more about this.

Do you see me crying, whining and *****ing?
It's odd that you call "acknowledging systemic racism" "*****ing". I think it's fair to be upset about and acknowledge social injustice with a view to alleviating the causes of it. I think all groups should be free to do this.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To a significant degree, racism was a consequence of slavery as opposed to slavery being a consequence of racism.

I think they both fed into each other. Slavery was about economics, whereas racism was about controlling the masses. Bacon's Rebellion of 1676-77 seems to be when slavery was made more race-based and generational, which set the tone in the decades leading up to the Revolution. The idea of lower-class blacks and whites fighting side by side ostensibly scared the upper class whites opposing them.

Racism is often portrayed as something that "whites" as a collective group did to the "blacks" as a collective group, with the nuances of class distinctions and profit motive being clumsily whitewashed out of the equation. I think there are reasons why the narrative is structured in such a way, and I think it explains the reason why there's a reaction against it, from both the left and the right.

I’m not sure linking it specifically to capitalism is that beneficial though. Mass and industrial production increased the scale and form of slavery to some extent, but was this different to other forms of exploitation?

Greed and profit (or power and status) exist in most economic systems if any scale and slavery was useful in all.

The desire to increase your and your society’s power has driven most people and most societies.

Arguably, in the long run at least, industrialisation was actually responsible for reducing the need for slaves to underpin successful, large economies.

It's linked to the profit motive, which links it to the exploitive, malignant, and expansionist policies which dominated US politics both before and after the Civil War, which was as much a war between competing economies as anything else. Obviously, the industrialized, diverse economy of the North had a profound advantage over the more primitive plantation economy of the South. But that in no way quashed the profit motive or the propensity of America's leadership to exploit the masses of various skin tones. I believe that racism was encouraged not only to exploit and restrict the blacks, but also to control the white population as well.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Its all garbage. White, black, brown, yellow, green(martian), etc.

Rrace problems only thrive because people feed it and others swallow it. .
Now that is garbage. Race problems thrive because people are taught from birth that they are "better" than other people, who don't share the same skin color or eye-shape.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I was never taught that.
And therefore I conclude you are probably not a racist. I was never taught that, either, and I hope I may characterize myself as not racist.

I didn't mean all people are taught that from birth, but those who are will also tend to teach the same to the next generation, as well.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And therefore I conclude you are probably not a racist. I was never taught that, either, and I hope I may characterize myself as not racist.

I didn't mean all people are taught that from birth, but those who are will also tend to teach the same to the next generation, as well.

Of course, that's not to say that I didn't become aware of how things were, although that was quite a few years after I was born. I was going to school with and playing with kids from different backgrounds and races, but I didn't really understand any meaning or significance behind it until I was older.

Orbit

I'm a planet

Am I right?

White privilege is a fact. How many times were you pulled over by the cops because of your skin color?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
At a college level CRT is fine as long as it stays elective and not compulsary to graduate.

What if the theory stands the riggors of testing and is shown to be true? There was a lot of pushback originally for teaching evolution in schools, and there still is even now. Should we stop teaching controversial subjects to younger students even if they are scientifically backed and important to understand why society is the way it is today?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Back to the OP - The article points to the actual school board resolution. The resolution refers to a book called "Critical Race Theory".

Is this book the definitive foundation for CRT? (I think I'm gonna have to read this bad boy.)

If this book is NOT the foundation, then what is?

Again, clearly the folks on both sides of this issue in Temecula have some strong opinions. Are they all just waving their arms with no actual knowledge of what ideas are being taught? (could be) But if you read the resolution, it appears to be written by someone who has studied CRT's ideas, no.

One idea that's hinted at (or reverse engineer-able) in/from the proposal is that the CRT class would teach intersectionality theory (IT). IT strikes me as extremely problematic. IT seems to attempt to refute critical thinking, logic, debate, and science.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Back to the OP - The article points to the actual school board resolution. The resolution refers to a book called "Critical Race Theory".

Is this book the definitive foundation for CRT? (I think I'm gonna have to read this bad boy.)

This is kind of like asking if a book titled "Media Theory" is the "definitive foundation of all media theory".

Almost definitely not. It most likely is an introduction to the concept. CRT is a broad school of though that has been around for decades.

One idea that's hinted at (or reverse engineer-able) in/from the proposal is that the CRT class would teach intersectionality theory (IT). IT strikes me as extremely problematic. IT seems to attempt to refute critical thinking, logic, debate, and science.
That... is a bizarre statement on every single possible level.

How on earth do you level the field of intersectionality with "refuting critical thinking, logic, debate and science"? What on earth do you think "intersectionality theory" is?

Orbit

I'm a planet

Again, clearly the folks on both sides of this issue in Temecula have some strong opinions. Are they all just waving their arms with no actual knowledge of what ideas are being taught? (could be) But if you read the resolution, it appears to be written by someone who has studied CRT's ideas, no.

There is no ONE foundation book. CRT is a body of work along a spectrum of thought.