• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halal & Kosher meat must be banned and stunning the animal before slaughter must be mandatory India

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Fact of life yes, but trying to make it painless, isn't a myth.
Instead of spending millions of temples, trying to mandate proper instruments to stun the animal seems like a better choice to me.

Please try and understand before you twist my word entirely.
If I believed Jainism had a say on the lifestyle of others, I'd be in favor of banning meat, eggs and root vegetables, mandate masks, penalize mosquito sprays and not kill the larvae of insects forming in the gutters of India.
I m suggesting that most faiths of India had a strong faith in non violence.
And since its a hard practice to do these days, we can bring small changes to our ways. So we should try and at least make the slaughter a bit more humane. Not ban it but use ways to render the slaughter painless.
Okay. I agree that we should strive to make slaughter as painless as possible.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
They slit the animal's arteries and windpipe in a single, quick stroke with a non-serrated surgically sharp blade. They lose consciousness and die in seconds. Care is also taken to comfort and calm the animal before slaughter. It's a lot like slaughter on small farms. It's more humane than industrial slaughter.
It's all murder to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Come on SF. Killing is murder. That's it.
No, it isn't. Murder is a legal concept of unlawfully killing humans. It's just an emotional device when used outside of that context. Do you consider yourself to be a "murderer" when you kill insects?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it isn't. Murder is a legal concept of unlawfully killing humans. It's just an emotional device when used outside of that context. Do you consider yourself to be a "murderer" when you kill insects?
So if you kill a dog it's not illegal? And Insects do not feel pain.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
And if you have a cat or a dog in your house then what kind of food you buy for it?
That reminds me of a Futurama episode when hippies were feeding a lion only Tofu. It was very malnourished. Dogs and Cats cannot live on a vegetarian strict diet.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
As long as the animal is stunned, I've no issue for it going halal or kosher.

Is it a big issue that the animal shouldn't feel pain for seconds or a minute?
If the animal itself will gone then why you're worried about his feeling before dying?

Last edited:

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Is it a big issue that the animal shouldn't feel pain for seconds or a minute?
If the animal itself will gone then why you're worried about his feeling before dying?

You're gonna be dead as well someday. So, that should mean someone can slit u our throat and leave you bleeding.
If you are comfortable with that, then sure... That's your view then.

Subhankar Zac

Come on SF. Killing is murder. That's it.

When ego is prominent in one's mind, he stops seeing the common life force in all beings.
Out of ego, he sees himself as the supreme and out of assistance, other beings who look like him as well.
It's murder if it's human, it's food if it's something else.
Yes. It's true that what is born will surely die.
But that doesn't mean become inhuman towards them.
When plants are torn off from their roots, they feel the pain too. As long as one considers himself the body and not realize his true self, he will forever be in pain.
But if there's an option to make to show gratitude towards a being whos giving us it's life, the least we can do is make its journey less painful.
As humans.
Death is inevitable but suffering isn't. We cannot stop the pathogens in our blood being killed by our WBCs.
But we can be mindful of our actions... That's what the bottomline of Buddhism is.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You're gonna be dead as well someday. So, that should mean someone can slit u our throat and leave you bleeding.
If you are comfortable with that, then sure... That's your view then.

I don't care as the end is death, by suffering for seconds or suffering for years due to sickness.

Subhankar Zac

I don't care as the end is death, by suffering for seconds or suffering for years due to sickness.

Then that's on you. I find it difficult to kill an animal and hear it scream helplessly.
Whatever I get, I can't kill an animal when it's in such a state.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
My last post was about why I feed my dog meat. He loves it. Also, my last statement. My apologies, Dogs can have a vegetarian diet and be healthy.

Feeding dogs and cats vegetarian diet is against their nature and kind of oppression.
No one will stay alive, the chicken will eventually die whether you eat it or not.

Subhankar Zac

Also i can't kill an animal but i do eat their meat.

Then it seems cowardly to me.
If I want to eat meat, I'll have to catch the animal, hear it's screams myself and then slit it's throat. I'll have to look into eye and see myself hurting a living being who's weak and defenseless, which is the greatest crime in my mind.
Not to mention, I'll never be the same again.
Not comfortable with others murdering for my sensual pleasures.