• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween - Harmless or Harmful Fun?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Halloween is a dangerous time. It teaches kids to expect candy for nothing. The same kids later on grow up to be bums, bankers, and Wall Street executives -- living off the hand outs of others.

or become extremely successful :p

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Halloween is fun as hell. I mean, wait...that didn't sound exactly right...

379408_10150523749874377_792524376_11589163_264532340_n.jpg

Me (in hat) with a co worker earlier today

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Day after Halloween 2011.

• Number of human sacrifices performed in America on Halloween- 0
  • Number of reported "razor blades in apples"- 0
  • Increase in black cat adoptions (supposedly used for sacrifice) at animal shelters around America- 0%
  • Incidences of Halloween gang initiations involving mass killings- 0
  • Incidences of LSD laced tattoos handed out to children- 0
  • Incidences of children and parents having fun dressing up and having fun last night- Millions.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The objective of the magazine is to present the teachings of Islam, reflecting its rational, harmonious and inspiring nature. It also brings together articles and viewpoints on different religions and seeks to make discussions on religion and religious philosophy accessible to a wider readership.
Did you say rational? because I'm pretty sure your magazine and you talk about paranoia regarding 'witches', 'evil spirits' and 'satanic worship'.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Islam repeatedly stresses the need to seek knowledge and The Review of Religions provides a unique platform for people to acquire, and share knowledge.
Seeking knowledge usually results in understanding. not publishing material about evil spirits and witches.

Bismillah

Submit
Does this mean you are unable to participate in Halloween because your religion forbids it?
I can choose to participate or not however according to most scholars Muslims should not participate in celebrations that are based or rooted in other religions.

I don't celebrate Halloween because it is not a part of my religion just as you won't celebrate Eid in five days because it is not a part of yours.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I can choose to participate or not however according to most scholars Muslims should not participate in celebrations that are based or rooted in other religions.

I don't celebrate Halloween because it is not a part of my religion just as you won't celebrate Eid in five days because it is not a part of yours.
um...
What religion do you believe the current Halloween is "Based" or "rooted" in?

I ask because the current Halloween, just like the current Christmas and Easter, are based on consumerism, not any religion.

Bismillah

Submit
I ask because the current Halloween, just like the current Christmas and Easter, are based on consumerism, not any religion.
I don't doubt that the holiday today is centered around consumerism, however its origins are clearly Pagan.

Last edited:

Halloween is not part of your religion OR my religion, but that's no problem because it is an inclusive holiday open to everyone. It's fun because it's all pretend, like a Civil War re-enactment or a Renaissance Festival.

The reason I won't celebrate Eid in five days largely because I am ignorant of it, I am not Muslim, and none of my Muslim friends have invited me to celebrate it with them. Certainly, I would not want to interfere or give offense to those who celebrate Eid. That's not why you don't celebrate Halloween, is it?

Bismillah

Submit
Halloween is not part of your religion OR my religion
Well I struggled to find an apt word because you are a secular humanist. However, you are correct in saying that it is not a part of my religion. As a Muslim I don't celebrate Halloween because it precisely has no basis in my own religious tradition just as you, a non-Muslim, are not concerned with Eid.

Well I struggled to find an apt word because you are a secular humanist. However, you are correct in saying that it is not a part of my religion. As a Muslim I don't celebrate Halloween because it precisely has no basis in my own religious tradition just as you, a non-Muslim, are not concerned with Eid.
Is the problem with Halloween that it is not part of your religion, or is the problem that Halloween is frowned upon by your religion?

When the opportunity arose I was open to celebrating lots of holidays that are not part of my "tradition" including Chinese New Year, the pagan mid-autumn festival, and the Passover Seder. (All of these are still different from Halloween of course, which is almost purely about fun and can be essentially whatever you make of it.) The reason I do not usually celebrate these holidays has to do with custom and familiarity. It has nothing to do with your reason, which is that scholars recommend not to "participate in celebrations that are based or rooted in other religions".

So there's a definite asymmetry here between traditions of inclusiveness vs. traditions of exclusiveness. This is just an observation.

Last edited: