• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween - Harmless or Harmful Fun?

A. T. Henderson

R&P refugee

Thanks for the information. It reminds me a little of an interpretation of Crowley's Theosophy, particularly what you mention about the idea of the "demons" being internal rather than external forces.

Very interesting. :)

crystalonyx

Halloween is my favorite holiday, although the tradition has changed somewhat from when I was young. Nowadays all "trick-or-treating" is closely monitored with adults in tow. When I was young, we went out during the day for several days around Halloween trick-or-treating with no monitoring or adults with us. Also, back in the day, getting your car or house windows "soaped" was not uncommon.

Straw Dog

Well, I can't speak for everyone else but my Halloween weekend has gone off without any harm done. I didn't summon any spirits, jinn, or demons although one guest did dress as a common devil. A baby did get a little freaked out by him, but there were no other problems otherwise. All in all I would give it an overall grade of predominantly harmless.

SCHIZO

it is also a major satanic ritual day. It’s a religious holiday for the underworld, with satanists performing sacrifices and witches celebrating with prayer circles. When the druids celebrated halloween, they roamed the streets with lanterns, and on coming to a house, they demanded money as an offering for Satan.

its funny how we think we are so different to the people who lived so long before us ....same pagan rituals, different time and place.

Whatever world you live in must be scary.

Erebus

Thanks for the information. It reminds me a little of an interpretation of Crowley's Theosophy, particularly what you mention about the idea of the "demons" being internal rather than external forces.

Very interesting. :)

No problem :)

To be honest a lot of modern magic is largely inspired by Crowley. At the very least in tends to draw on some of his ideas even if it doesn't entirely follow his philosophies.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
harmless. Well relatively. There aren't many things that are harmless but Halloween is more or less as harmless as Christmas

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't see any harm in Halloween. I certainly don't think it has anything to do with evil and I know it never had anything to do with Satan (as others already pointed out, Druids didn't and don't believe in Satan). I don't think God has anything against people having fun.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
it is also a major satanic ritual day. It’s a religious holiday for the underworld, with satanists performing sacrifices and witches celebrating with prayer circles. When the druids celebrated halloween, they roamed the streets with lanterns, and on coming to a house, they demanded money as an offering for Satan.

its funny how we think we are so different to the people who lived so long before us ....same pagan rituals, different time and place.

Put down the religious tract and pick up a history book. :facepalm:

NeilPye

The Heretic
Holidays evolve. Christmas evolved from ancient Pagan holidays such as Yule, are fundamentalists and other irrationalists going to start protesting Christmas now too? (Jehovah's Witnesses do already)

It's true, Halloween has it's origins in the Celtic Pagan holiday of Samhain. From there, church fathers took Samhain and transformed into the day before All Saints' Day, or All Saints' Evening, also called All Hallows' Evening, and after some oral corruptions of the phrase, after a few centuries came the term "Halloween". Samhain is also practiced nowadays mostly by Celtic Neopagans and I honestly would classify it as a different, but related, holiday. Halloween simply evolved out of All Saints' Day, which evolved out of Samhain. All Saints' Day should be condemned as a Satanic holiday too if Halloween is.

Halloween is a completely acceptable holiday, which Christians can most certainly take part in. Don't want to celebrate it? Well, no one is forcing you to celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas either, you don't have to. But don't condemn Halloween as a Satanic holiday, when that's a straight out lie.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Several Roman historians wrote about how much human sacrifice, cannibalism, and blood orgies were a part of the Druidic religion, especially around Samhain.
1) History is always written by the rich
2) Rome would have had a vested interest in making the Celts look bad
3) The ancient Druids predate Roman occupation of Briton.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Halloween is a dangerous time. It teaches kids to expect candy for nothing. The same kids later on grow up to be bums, bankers, and Wall Street executives -- living off the hand outs of others.