• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harris Snatching Patents

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't have much sympathy for predatory, price gouging rackets that fleece people and hold their health/lives for ransom.
"Ransom", eh.
So Harris & Biden want to regulate prices & confiscate assets.
Now there's a solution that's worse than the problem.
What's your opinion about grocers fleecing people &
holding their survival hostage using their wicked 2% profit
margin....which Harris would call "price gouging" & profiteering?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
FYI
https://www.rand.org/news/press/2024/02/01.html
Prescription Drug prices are 3-6 times higher in US than other developed countries. Why?
Short answer....
If a company develops a drug,
it can charge what it wants.

Problem...
If Harris forces prices down, &
confiscates patents, why would
companies develop more drugs, eh.

The long answer is very much above
my pay grade, & beyond the scope
of this thread.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"Ransom", eh.
So Harris & Biden want to regulate prices & confiscate assets.
Now there's a solution that's worse than the problem.
What's your opinion about grocers fleecing people &
holding their survival hostage using their wicked 2% profit
margin....which Harris would call "price gouging" & profiteering?
For pharmaceutical companies, it's 76%. You say Harris would call 2% profit margin "price gouging", but did she actually?
Also, while grocers may be just sliding by, what about their suppliers?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For pharmaceutical companies, it's 76%.
Which isn't so out of line when one considers
the development takes years & billions of $$$.
What do you think will happen to drug R&D
if Harris threatens prosecution & confiscation
if prices aren't lowered?
It's already bad enuf that regulation has forced
much R&D to go overseas.
You say Harris would call 2% profit margin "price gouging", but did she actually?
She promised to go after price gouging
in supermarkets. Their margin is quite
low....in the 2% range.

wellwisher

Harris said in 2019 that she wants price controls on drug companies and if they don't comply she will snatch their patents and she will take over.

“For any drug where they fail to play by our rules, and if that drug came about from federal funding for what’s called ‘R and D,’ research and development, I will snatch their patent so that we will take over,” she said. “Yes we can do that! The question is, do you have the will to do it?” “I have the will to do it,” the now Democratic nominee for president said.

Dictators do this. This would end the drug industry and no more new life saving drugs would be created. Wouldn't it be nice for the media to be able to ask her about this? Is she still in favor of this? We can only assume she is. The answer is to not give these grants for R&D, which I am in favor of, but she wants control over the drug companies instead.
This may come from the Harris and Walz, China connections, which does the same to US companies working in China. They steal patents, through extortion and spying, and then fail to pay royalties.

Harris is not smart enough to invent anything, so she becomes a thief and parasite to steal from those who can. Other actions of Harris have shown her special affinity for the criminal class. She raised money to bail out shoplifters and arsonists. They also steal and ruin what is not their's.

We gave green energy companies money and tax advantages. Will Harris force them to sell electric cars and solar panels cheap? And if not, will she just steal their cars and give them away? Or does she play favorites, and this is really about targeted corporate extortion to get donations? Senator Warren uses this scam. Each year she threatens the banks, they pay and she shuts up. She learned that from Hillary.

We need to get Trump into office, to break up that mafia racketeering. These are crooked people, running their latest scam; hide Harris deception campaign, to misinform and pick pocket votes, and then pull their bait and switch scam.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
c

Harris is not smart enough to invent anything....
This isn't true. But a lawyer's job is typically
to raid what others have built, even when
destroying it in the process.
I'd like to see fewer lawyers in politics.
Fewer treasonous rapists too.

Argentbear

No, that is what communist governments do, steal patents and destroy companies.
Apparently the UN Government is the owner of these patents and license or allow a particular company to use that patent and gain a profit from it. So how is revoking that license for misuse stealing?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Short answer....
If a company develops a drug,
it can charge what it wants.

Problem...
If Harris forces prices down, &
confiscates patents, why would
companies develop more drugs, eh.

The long answer is very much above
my pay grade, & beyond the scope
of this thread.
Short answer is obviously wrong as the same drug the company is selling at 4x lower prices in other countries. So clearly the US govt and regulations are goofing up in some way.
A company cannot sell a drug at whatever price it wants as sick people have no choice but to buy a drug as long as it is manufactured by one pharma or prescribed by a doctor. A clear and reasonable price structure must be clearly delineated for all such drugs based on audited cost of development of the said drug.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Harris said in 2019 that she wants price controls on drug companies and if they don't comply she will snatch their patents and she will take over.

“For any drug where they fail to play by our rules, and if that drug came about from federal funding for what’s called ‘R and D,’ research and development, I will snatch their patent so that we will take over,” she said. “Yes we can do that! The question is, do you have the will to do it?” “I have the will to do it,” the now Democratic nominee for president said.

Dictators do this. This would end the drug industry and no more new life saving drugs would be created. Wouldn't it be nice for the media to be able to ask her about this? Is she still in favor of this? We can only assume she is. The answer is to not give these grants for R&D, which I am in favor of, but she wants control over the drug companies instead.
Good grief, the GOP are desperate.
Join most of the rest of the world and enjoy the marvelous thing of generic drugs.
I went to my local drug store (we call them Chemists in the UK), I was after some headache tablets and some indigestion tablets, I had a choice with a range of prices. The Chemist even had their own brand which was at the low end of the market.
I realise that there are development and research costs BUT in the UK companies have the first 10 years (I think) to benefit from their development and then the drug is thrown open to all to make and market.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Short answer is obviously wrong as the same drug the company is selling at 4x lower prices in other countries. So clearly the US govt and regulations are goofing up in some way.
What are the differences between the countries?
Did the foreign companies develop their drugs,
or just manufacture them using someone else's
technology?
A company cannot sell a drug at whatever price it wants as sick people have no choice but to buy a drug as long as it is manufactured by one pharma or prescribed by a doctor. A clear and reasonable price structure must be clearly delineated for all such drugs based on audited cost of development of the said drug.
Until a company develops a new drug, the sick
have no access to it at all.
Another approach is that if government wants
to help sick people, instead of price regulation
& confiscation, buy the drugs, & give them to
the sick.
Of course, it's more expensive to pay for what
one wants. But this would encourage new
drug development.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Dictators do this.
I read it all, but all I answer is the above.
Investors do this!
Partners do this!
Government can do this!

If a private company has received funding towards research and development but then takes all or most of the profits, or refuses to honour a deal..........blooming right to claw back......quite right.

I've noticed that you don't support R&D investment from government, but that's up to you when you win government....true?

Tomef

‘…. if the drug company received any federal funding’ is the missing part. Drug companies funded by the govt to do research is the context here, if you checked.

Dictators do this.

They do? Who is it you are thinking of? When did they do it?

This would end the drug industry and no more new life saving drugs would be created

Think before repeat.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I read it all, but all I answer is the above.
Investors do this!
Partners do this!
Government can do this!

If a private company has received funding towards research and development but then takes all or most of the profits, or refuses to honour a deal..........blooming right to claw back......quite right.

I've noticed that you don't support R&D investment from government, but that's up to you when you win government....true?
If government funds the R&D for a new drug,
it would certainly make sense that government
would have some rights to it.
How often is this the case?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
If government funds the R&D for a new drug,
it would certainly make sense that government
would have some rights to it.
How often is this the case?
I dunno........ I'm wondering whether the UK NHS has any parallels, in as much as it might fund private company r&d. I'll have a dig around.