• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Healing?

Should energy healing be offered in hospitals?

• Total voters

Popeyesays

In my faith, we believe ALL healing comes from God, whether it be the laying on of hands, the submission of prayer, a direct miracle of God or the skill of a physician, surgeon, nurse, pharmacist, etc. The knowledge of medical practioners to heal comes from God in the first place, yo0u see.

Regards,
Scott

Ardent Listener

WeAreAllOne said:
Ardent Listener may be able to answer that better since I've never had formal training in accupressure but as far as I know, yes.
I agree. In addition, there are little metal gold "BB"-like balls that you can place over the accupressure points. Even laser and electric stimulation can be used rather than needles. I consider accupressure to be a "link" between "science" and "energy healing" such as Reiki.

Ardent Listener

Popeyesays said:
In my faith, we believe ALL healing comes from God, whether it be the laying on of hands, the submission of prayer, a direct miracle of God or the skill of a physician, surgeon, nurse, pharmacist, etc. The knowledge of medical practioners to heal comes from God in the first place, yo0u see.

Regards,
Scott
I agree with that too.:)

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Hospitals are for practioners of MEDICINE. Energy /faith healing is a form of alternative medicine and belongs in seprate clincs just like chiropractics or accupunture.

standing_alone

the research is out there to prove it does something, have you bothered to look for it?
Well, unless the research is printed in a scholary, peer-reviewed, scientific journal, it doesn't hold any credit in my opinion. When research results are printed in one of those, you know it has merit.

Popeyesays

standing_alone said:
Well, unless the research is printed in a scholary, peer-reviewed, scientific journal, it doesn't hold any credit in my opinion. When research results are printed in one of those, you know it has merit.
"
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]ASSESSING THE EVIDENCE[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Four speakers representing unique perspectives addressed the quality of evidence for distant healing:
[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]1. DIRECT MENTAL INTERACTIONS IN LIVING SYSTEMS (DMILS)
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Stefan Schmidt, Institut für Umweltmedizin und Krankenhaushygiene, Freiburg, Germany)[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Schmidt is currently conducting an IONS-sponsored meta-analysis of research literature on DMILS over the past twenty-five years. This research, initiated within the field of parapsychology in the mid-Seventies, investigates the interaction between the intentions of one person and the physiological reactions of another spatially-separated person. Physiological reaction is recorded by measures such as electrodermal activity (EDA), respiration, and heart rate. This type of research design parallels the distant-healing interaction: A sender or healer tries to change the physical or physiological state of a healee or receiver from a distance. Schmidt concluded that the strength of the DMILS database calls for extending this research to include additional measures, variables, and models.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]2. CLINICAL SETTINGS[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
(John Astin, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland)
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can distant healing actually produce positive health benefits? Astin provided the most current and authoritative information available on this question. Expanding on his recently published article in The Annals of Internal Medicine, he observed that despite inconsistent results and methodological limitations in a number of studies, there is currently "moderate" scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of various distant-healing/intercessory prayer approaches in medicine. Again, more research was called for in the form of additional well-designed, large-scale randomized trials to confirm or refute these preliminary findings.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]3. HEALING TOUCH[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
(Sara Warber, Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many ancient cultures are said to have used touch for healing, and written accounts of noncontact healing date back at least 2,500 years. Analogous contemporary techniques use the hands in an attempt to affect the patient's purported energy field for the purpose of healing. Some common forms include Therapeutic Touch, laying-on of hands, healing touch and Reiki. Warber presented a critical review of the status of healing-energy research and the randomized, controlled trials of energy healing applied to humans. Most of this research focused on Therapeutic Touch. The studies cover a wide variety of subject populations and settings, and energy healing was assessed for effects on such important subjective outcomes as pain, anxiety, general well-being and mood—all correlates of clinically important aspects of particular diseases. Warber's assessment: The quality of evidence here is strong, and more objective measures relying upon physiologic processes would strengthen the findings in future studies.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]4. QI GONG[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
(Juliann Kiang, The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland)
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kiang conducted a similar review in the field of qi gong describing the reliability, clinical relevance, and therapeutic potential of external qi gong. Much of the literature in this field is drawn from an extensive database of abstracts from international conferences, and also includes articles published in peer-reviewed journals. More than 130 of the 1,600 papers in the collection contain observations of biological effects, including the initiation, progression, and survival of malignancies in animal systems, shifts in immune parameters, enhanced healing of bone fractures, and analgesic effects. Studies of the effect of qi gong on non-living substances and subcellular constituents show shifts in physical measures, such as the absorption of specific wavelengths of light, profiles on gas chromatograms, and the half-life of isotopes. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is difficult to evaluate qi gong literature within the Western scientific model because of the many variables involved, and international research abstracts provide little detail on methodology and design. Still, the experimental literature reflects a promising beginning, and studies of various positive effects associated with qi gong provide substantial impetus for deepening the study of this modality."[/font]
http://www.noetic.org/publications/research/main.cfm?page=frontiers_55.htm

Regards,
Scott

standing_alone

Link didn't work.

Not a scientific, peer-reviewed journal.

Got a "file not found" page - and not a scientific peer-reviewed journal.

Not a scientific, peer-reviewed journal.

Scientific, peer-reviewed journals are such publications as: "Science" (http://www.sciencemag.org/) and "Nature" (http://www.nature.com/index.html)

Lost Soul

spacemonkey said:
Hospitals are for practioners of MEDICINE. Energy /faith healing is a form of alternative medicine and belongs in seprate clincs just like chiropractics or accupunture.
Right, to the back of the bus with them, I say! :biglaugh:

WeAreAllOne

spacemonkey said:
No, a Hospital is a place you go to get medical treatments. if energy medicine is proven to be helpful then I see no reason it shoulden't be used to help make you better. part of medicine is employing new treatments, growing, learning. We don't know everything yet, oviously because we are doing as well as we could thats for sure.

standing_alone

No, a Hospital is a place you go to get medical treatments. if energy medicine is proven to be helpful then I see no reason it shoulden't be used to help make you better. part of medicine is employing new treatments, growing, learning. We don't know everything yet, oviously because we are doing as well as we could thats for sure.
And IF energy healing is scientifically proven to be an effective means of treatment beyond a reasonable doubt, then hospitals can employ it as a treatment. For now, hospitals should stay away from using energy healing, since there is no conclusive evidence to show that it is effective.

WeAreAllOne

standing_alone said:
And IF energy healing is scientifically proven to be an effective means of treatment beyond a reasonable doubt, then hospitals can employ it as a treatment. For now, hospitals should stay away from using energy healing, since there is no conclusive evidence to show that it is effective.
Then what do you say to the 1000's of Hospitals around the world that already have healers on staff?

standing_alone

do you honestly think they would pay someone to work there they dident feel was serving an important purpose?
It may serve a purpose (as in comforting patients), but there is no solid evidence to support that energy/faith healing actually cures illnesses.

WeAreAllOne

have you bothered to do any research yet? have you looked for a Reiki group by you, or tryed to find that book I recommeded above?

standing_alone

have you bothered to do any research yet?
I learned plenty about the topic in my science class last semester and had quite a few good readings about it in the text. There is no solid evidence that has ever been printed in a scientific, peer-reviewed journal to prove that energy healing cures illnesses.

WeAreAllOne

what about reducing pain, dealing with stress, speeding wound recovery? also, how do you define "curing illness?" there is no evidince an antibiotic "cures" a cold or the flu, yet doctors still write scripts for them.

standing_alone

How does energy healing speed wound recovery? And which type of energy healing is this? And antibiotics can be relied upon to treat illnesses. Energy healing alone is not a reliable method of treatment.

When I think of "curing illness," I see it as the treatment being directly responsible for the patient's recovery.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
WeAreAllOne said:
what about reducing pain, dealing with stress, speeding wound recovery? also, how do you define "curing illness?" there is no evidince an antibiotic "cures" a cold or the flu, yet doctors still write scripts for them.
Well, for one, anti-biotics can't cure a cold, or influenza. Both are viral ilnesses and anti-biotics only work on bacterial infections.

standing_alone said:
How does energy healing speed wound recovery? And which type of energy healing is this? And antibiotics can be relied upon to treat illnesses. Energy healing alone is not a reliable method of treatment.

When I think of "curing illness," I see it as the treatment being directly responsible for the patient's recovery.
energy (healing anergy) can help wound recovery; I don't know why, but it will help lesions heal faster than they would without. There is a vestige of this in everyday life; mothers 'kiss' their children's wounds better.........that is the remnant of an age when healing energy was understood.

standing_alone

There is a vestige of this in everyday life; mothers 'kiss' their children's wounds better
But the mother's act of kissing her child's wound does nothing to heal the wound, it only acts to comfort the child. Which is pretty much what energy healing is, a form of "kissing wounds better." All it serves is to comfort the patient and serves no real medical purpose.