• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven or Hell | The choice is yours

Trey of Diamonds

Lets say you die and find out that there really is a Heaven and a Hell. Lets also say that you're told Hell is full of all your friends and those few family members you actually like while Heaven is full of all those self righteous evangelicals you despise. Now, you're given a choice; Heaven or Hell? Which would you choose? Why?

jargin

If hell is still eternal torment, I don't think it would/should change anyone's choice just because friends are involved. I think it would make it worse if your friends are in hell because you know they are being tortured too. And isn't the whole idea of heaven eternal bliss even if people you despise are involved?

Trey of Diamonds

The reason I ask is, when I was growing up overseas I had lots of muslim friends. When I returned to the states the Baptist said all my friends were going to Hell and I should get baptised and join the church or I would go to Hell too. Eventually I told them I would rather go to Hell with my friends than Heaven with them. I just wondered if anyone else felt the same.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Lets say you die and find out that there really is a Heaven and a Hell. Lets also say that you're told Hell is full of all your friends and those few family members you actually like while Heaven is full of all those self righteous evangelicals you despise. Now, you're given a choice; Heaven or Hell? Which would you choose? Why?
I'd choose pure chaos with all the fun people over pure order with all the boring people any day.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I think the concept of Hell precludes any possibility of pleasure, so while it's a noble sentiment to stick with your friends, I don't think it would bring you or them any sense of satisfaction.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Assuming Hell is eternal torment and Heaven eternal bliss and playing a harp on a silvery cloud Heaven would be just as bad Hell for me or even worse. If all my friends ended up in Hell, all the interesting people would be there anyway, so I would follow. They wouldn't be able to stop us from talking all the time, would they? :D

Trey of Diamonds

I think the concept of Hell precludes any possibility of pleasure, so while it's a noble sentiment to stick with your friends, I don't think it would bring you or them any sense of satisfaction.

At the time, my point was that there could be no pleasure with those who claimed to be going to Heaven. Also, there is more than one version of Hell. Consider Hel as opposed to Valhalla. That version of Hel was considered bad because it wasn't full of continuous fighting and war. It was Hell because it was boring. I've always considered Heaven and Hell to be rather subjective. But then I've always been considered weird by, well, by pretty much everyone. :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Assuming Hell is eternal torment and Heaven eternal bliss and playing a harp on a silvery cloud Heaven would be just as bad Hell for me or even worse. If all my friends ended up in Hell, all the interesting people would be there anyway, so I would follow. They wouldn't be able to stop us from talking all the time, would they? :D

images

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

So you're saying there is no actual Heaven in your scenario.

Sgloom

hmmm, could i just ask god to erase me from existance? eternity just seems like a long time? im sure after like a billion years id get pretty bored wherever im at. and im not a big fan of torment, not only would i be suffering, but id be watching all my friends suffer as well. that would suck

kerravon

Anti-subjugator
That was how it felt to me at the time, to be honest. I was being forced to choose between Hell with my friends and a different kind of Hell with a bunch of creeps.
What exactly do you want Heaven to be like? Did you consider the possibility that you might already be living in Heaven? Maybe you were aborted as a baby and you were sent straight to Heaven and your actual mother in the universe above us is distressed as she is harrangued for aborting you. What would you tell her about your life here if you could?

kerravon

Anti-subjugator
hmmm, could i just ask god to erase me from existance? eternity just seems like a long time? im sure after like a billion years id get pretty bored wherever im at. and im not a big fan of torment, not only would i be suffering, but id be watching all my friends suffer as well. that would suck
Exactly. So to avoid the drastic alternative of being erased from existence and collapsing the universe, what alternative is there but to create new earth-like universes for you to be inserted into?