• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit

COGTHW

What is the spiritual experience and ultimate evidence that a believer has the Holy Ghost.?? ( SCRIPTURES ONLY, not website links ) Lets talk Scriptures.!!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is the spiritual experience and ultimate evidence that a believer has the Holy Ghost.?? ( SCRIPTURES ONLY, not website links ) Lets talk Scriptures.!!
Hello and welcome. My first thought was; how can a person's spiritual experience be in scripture? (and I think it is funny) my second thought was; Does he know what "ultimate" means? And my third thought was; there is no evidence of faith because faith means to be assured of what is not visible. Hebrews 11:1

COGTHW

Hello and welcome. My first thought was; how can a person's spiritual experience be in scripture? (and I think it is funny) my second thought was; Does he know what "ultimate" means? And my third thought was; there is no evidence of faith because faith means to be assured of what is not visible. Hebrews 11:1

Paul spiritual experience ; 3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. Acts 9:3-7 ; 22 'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.' 1 Corinthians 14:22 believe = faith in ; sign of the Holy Ghost. 'And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.' Acts 2:4

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Explain what you mean by 'having' the Holy Ghost, please,

and welcome to RF.:)

COGTHW

Explain what you mean by 'having' the Holy Ghost, please,

and welcome to RF.:)

17 'Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.' John 14:17 Jesus is talking about the Holy Ghost ; But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26 ; But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Acts 1:8

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
17 'Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.' John 14:17 Jesus is talking about the Holy Ghost ; But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26 ; But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Acts 1:8
Yikes! Now I'm even more confused.
Is it the Holy Ghost or Power that we'll "have?"

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Paul spiritual experience ; 3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. Acts 9:3-7 ; 22 'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.' 1 Corinthians 14:22 believe = faith in ; sign of the Holy Ghost. 'And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.' Acts 2:4
Good point. How can anyone's spiritual experience be in scripture and be taken at face value?
In other words, it takes faith to believe what is written to have happened to him really did happen just as it says it did. It is not proof.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am pretty sure "The Spirit of The Truth" is the resurrected Jesus.

Or perhaps some people teach that Jesus who says he is the truth stopped being the truth when he died?

COGTHW

The scriptures are for our learning. 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:' 2 Timothy 3:16

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does this describe the experience of the Holy Spirit?

Chapter 11, Verse 8
[Krishna said:] But you cannot see Me with your present eyes. Therefore I give to you divine eyes by which you can behold My mystic opulence.

Chapter 11, Verse 9
Sa�jaya said: O King, speaking thus, the Supreme, the Lord of all mystic power, the Personality of Godhead, displayed His universal form to Arjuna.

Chapter 11, Verse 10-11
Arjuna saw in that universal form unlimited mouths and unlimited eyes. It was all wondrous. The form was decorated with divine, dazzling ornaments and arrayed in many garbs. He was garlanded gloriously, and there were many scents smeared over His body. All was magnificent, all-expanding, unlimited. This was seen by Arjuna.

Chapter 11, Verse 12
If hundreds of thousands of suns rose up at once into the sky, they might resemble the effulgence of the Supreme Person in that universal form.

Chapter 11, Verse 13
At that time Arjuna could see in the universal form of the Lord the unlimited expansions of the universe situated in one place although divided into many, many thousands.

Chapter 11, Verse 14
Then, bewildered and astonished, his hair standing on end, Arjuna began to pray with folded hands, offering obeisances to the Supreme Lord.

COGTHW

Does this describe the experience of the Holy Spirit?

Chapter 11, Verse 8
[Krishna said:] But you cannot see Me with your present eyes. Therefore I give to you divine eyes by which you can behold My mystic opulence.

Chapter 11, Verse 9
Sa�jaya said: O King, speaking thus, the Supreme, the Lord of all mystic power, the Personality of Godhead, displayed His universal form to Arjuna.

Chapter 11, Verse 10-11
Arjuna saw in that universal form unlimited mouths and unlimited eyes. It was all wondrous. The form was decorated with divine, dazzling ornaments and arrayed in many garbs. He was garlanded gloriously, and there were many scents smeared over His body. All was magnificent, all-expanding, unlimited. This was seen by Arjuna.

Chapter 11, Verse 12
If hundreds of thousands of suns rose up at once into the sky, they might resemble the effulgence of the Supreme Person in that universal form.

Chapter 11, Verse 13
At that time Arjuna could see in the universal form of the Lord the unlimited expansions of the universe situated in one place although divided into many, many thousands.

Chapter 11, Verse 14
Then, bewildered and astonished, his hair standing on end, Arjuna began to pray with folded hands, offering obeisances to the Supreme Lord.

No this is the evidence of the Holy Ghost. 'And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;' Mark 16:17 Jesus say you will speak in new tongues. New because you never spoke it before and you didn't learn it. ; 'And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.' Acts 19:6 Holy Ghost evidence is speaking in tongues.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No this is the evidence of the Holy Ghost. 'And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;' Mark 16:17 Jesus say you will speak in new tongues. New because you never spoke it before and you didn't learn it. ; 'And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.' Acts 19:6 Holy Ghost evidence is speaking in tongues.
But that's not "evidence," it's just scripture.
I could quote Harry Potter to support something I believed, but I wouldn't expect anyone to accept it as evidence.